Toymods » Tech & Conversions » AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mr2sc
Regular

January 2005
icon2.gif  AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Wed, 31 August 2005 09:33 Go to next message
I am coming to the final stages of my engine conversion to a 3sgte. I need to upgrade my brakes all around to the same specs or better than the mk2 mr2 turbo that the engine came from (according to my engineer)

What upgrades are possible?

The car is basically a standard supercharged model so I have those brakes at the moment.

I have seen the document for the GT4 front brakes... are there any other options?

Thanks for your help!
  Send a private message to this user    
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Wed, 31 August 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st185 gt4 single piston calipers with redrilled st185 gt4 discs to suit a 4 x 100 pattern basicially you just drill one hole to convert it and it will fit no caliper spacers etc needed
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Wed, 31 August 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as above Smile

i am currenty running ST185/ST165 Twin piston calipers on my aw11 using the standard rotor. fits perfectly and pulls it up a treat. by the end of the week ill be running the above setup hopefully. using a st185 single piston and larger rotor.

if the big single works as well as the twins or better it is definantly the preferable option as your pad choice for the st185/st165 twin piston caliper is a little limited. hence why im changing.
nick.parker
Regular

January 2005
AW11 - 4AGZE-SC14 brake upgrade! Mon, 19 September 2005 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi,
Though not a 3SGTE, I have some SC14 mumbo in my AW11.

Are there some twin piston ST165/185 front calipers that are a direct bolt on to the AW11?

How much better feel/braking than stock? Hard to get brake pads?

Disc-wise what needs to be done? (My front rotors are warped and in need of replacement anyway)

Cheers, Nick.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Mon, 19 September 2005 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as above Razz

the twin piston st165/early st185 will fit on no worries at all. straight fit up bar trimmming a little of the dust shield out. rotor wise they are a perfect fit.

pad choice is a little limited though as EBC dont make a green stuff only a standard and bendix only make a metal king. QFM should be able to whip you up smoething. and trd have discontinued pads for them.

the later model st185 single pistson which arrived to day i willo be getting set up on mine hopeuflly they will work even better. and have a greater choice of pads avlaiable. they use a larger 278x26 disc as opposed to the aw11/st165 which uses a 258/22 disc..

so watch trhis space and ill see how the singles go.

that said the twins pull up fantasic
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Mon, 19 September 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i will be doing this aswell on my aw11. I have had the st185 calipers for some time and have just rebuilt them with new seals and some new red paint. They are looking pretty smick atm and cant wait to get them on the car. Need to fork out for some new rotors tho.

You will need 15" rims atleast to clear the st185 calipers im not sure about the ofsett tho..
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Mon, 19 September 2005 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my singles arrives today. ill get them in laster in the week and ill tell you how they go Smile
Hodgo
Regular

August 2004
Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Mon, 19 September 2005 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking forward to hearing about the results.

Can you guys pls tell me what an average price is for the ST185 calipers.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Mon, 19 September 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
between $100-300. ie about half of stuff all for bigger brakes Smile
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Mon, 19 September 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine cost me $150 and the rebuild kit cost me $80 from toyota.

The price for rba slotted is $130 each for st185 gt4 discs which in my mind is not quite as good as dba but at half the price of dba slotted in my mind it isnt worth the extra $130 for that bit extra. Having said that if you can find some dba's at trade then by all means go ahead and buy some.
exquisit
Regular

May 2003
Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Tue, 20 September 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about the brake bias??
is that affected??

and also the master cylinder
does that need to be changed??
thanks
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Tue, 20 September 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the brake bias will be out you can fit brake bias adjusters just check with your engineer as to which ones are legal. Im sure that cabin adjustable ones are.

Also you will need to check with your engineer about whether he will require a master cylinder upgrade but im going to be using the stock n/a brake booster
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Tue, 20 September 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with my twins i didnt use an adjuster. the bias was brought forward a bit but i felt this was a positive and made the car more controllable on less then perfect surface. i always felt the aw11 had the bias a ;little to neutral and not forward enough.

im not sure what the story is with the singles but my engineer approved the twins no worries without a bias adjuster.

truth be it known if you didnt know and i mean really know what you were looking for you wouldnt even notice the differenece unless you had them side by side. and with the teardrop wheel i doubt you would tell at all given how little you can see through them/.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Tue, 20 September 2005 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am reading this thread with interest as I am currently running the same calipers you guys would have had as stock on your AW11's (mine are on a KE25).

If someone who has the following calipers not fitted to a car: standard AW11, ST185 twin and ST185 single it would be great if the piston diameters could be measured up and posted on here as that is quite useful to know.

Quote:

im not sure what the story is with the singles but my engineer approved the twins no worries without a bias adjuster

An engineer will only ask you to fit an adjustable bias adjuster if the brake bias is not acceptable i.e. rears locking before fronts.

I am keen to find out the size of the ST185 single piston caliper piston diameter as it would be a simple bolt on upgrade for me Cool
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Tue, 20 September 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill get pics and measurements of all three this weekend.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Tue, 20 September 2005 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill give it a squiz tonight they are alot bigger than the standard aw11 ones by about 10-15mm from memory
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Tue, 20 September 2005 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

ill get pics and measurements of all three this weekend.

Champion Smile

Quote:

ill give it a squiz tonight they are alot bigger than the standard aw11 ones by about 10-15mm from memory

Seriously that much bigger, I await the measurements with anticipation.

I just had a look at the DBA website and it looked like the ST184 also used the same calipers as the 185??
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Tue, 20 September 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nup the 184 is heaps smaller then the 185 ones ive got today,

really the 185 ones are *huge*
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Tue, 20 September 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

really the 185 ones are *huge*

We are talking piston diameter?

If so, I guess the 184 could be another option for me if i need to reatin a piston diameter close to thw standard AW11 size but want the 278mm rotor
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Tue, 20 September 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just took a quick measurement. the stock aw11 ones are about 45mm and the st185 singles are about 55.

so another 10mm diameter. which works out toi be fairly significant.

Caliper Piston Size (mm) ____Area (mm^2)__ Pistons ____ Disc
Aw11 _______________45____________6361__________1______ _258x22
ST165/St185_________~35 (iirc)____7896__________2_______258x(22?)
St185_______________55____________9503__________1_ ______278x26

ill measure the twins when i pull them out but from memory they were about 8-10mm smaller then the stock aw11 piston... just two of them..

also keep in mind the twins provide a more even distribution of force then the singles. hence better stopping.. but i think the sheer bigger size of the singles and the larger rotor will prevail as far as stopping power.

the st184 uses a 269mm rotor. certainly you could go for a full st184 setup. probaly a little eaiser to source too. and they will fit under 14" wheels. reasnable pad choice assuming you dont want to go anything too extreme pad wise.. that said for the effort id just got the 185 singles or for less total effort the twins straight onto the stock rotors.

[Updated on: Tue, 20 September 2005 06:15]

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Tue, 20 September 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah thats what i thought 10mm bigger substantial difference would be nice if it had twin pistons but i think with the power i intend to make the extra thermal capacity of the st185 discs will be of more benefit
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Tue, 20 September 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
St205 brakes can also be adapted up to the front , in the same manner as the St185 ones can be - you just need to space them out a little more and machine the rotor down a smidge ..

These are the ultimate " bolt on " setup - but good luck finding the calipers
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Tue, 20 September 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 19:19

but good luck finding the calipers

thats what i was about to say so they arent really a bolt on option it would probably be easier to buy 4 pot nissan calipers and get brakets made to space them properly
nick.parker
Regular

January 2005
Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Tue, 20 September 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Toof,
If/when you're happy with your ST185 brakes, I'd be interested in buying the ST184 twin pots off you and giving them a go.

Cheers, Nick
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Tue, 20 September 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your the third person wanting to buy them lol Smile

but again... sorry they are already spoken for. my gf wants them on her car.

i measured the rotors ive got atm and they are pretty much on minimum thickness. so save getting these ones redrilled i think ill get some new items instead of redrilling almost cactus items.
nick.parker
Regular

January 2005
Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Tue, 20 September 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe,
No worries! I better hang on and hear how those ST185's go.
My front rotors are warped so I'm hanging out to do something soon on a budget of course.
Cheers, Nick
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Tue, 20 September 2005 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 21:37

i measured the rotors ive got atm and they are pretty much on minimum thickness. so save getting these ones redrilled i think ill get some new items instead of redrilling almost cactus items.

the rbas are only $130 each unless you need dba which are 260-270 odd retail ofcourse
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Wed, 21 September 2005 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DBA743
standard is $150
sport slotted/cross drilled $219

from www.discpads.com.au - some of the cheapest bendix and dba stuff you'll find Smile quick to get things sent out too which is nice

ive got a mate that can get rda pretty cheap so ill go and talk to him and see what he can do.

i have rung around and been quoted $40 per rotor to get them redrilled !!!

what im goign to do is do a dodgy home redrill job on my worn out rotors so i can mock them up and check sizing etc.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Wed, 21 September 2005 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 10:12

DBA743
standard is $150
sport slotted/cross drilled $219

from www.discpads.com.au - some of the cheapest bendix and dba stuff you'll find Smile quick to get things sent out too which is nice

ive got a mate that can get rda pretty cheap so ill go and talk to him and see what he can do.

i have rung around and been quoted $40 per rotor to get them redrilled !!!

what im goign to do is do a dodgy home redrill job on my worn out rotors so i can mock them up and check sizing etc.

yeah i was quoting slotted prices i dont think ill bother with just standard

Sounds like a good idea to try it at home first i think $40 is a bit steep considering all they do is measure it up and drill a hole!! it would take 1/2 an hr at the most.
Hodgo
Regular

August 2004
Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Tue, 27 September 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My ST185 singles arrived 2day yay!
but i thought they wre going to be alloy like the ST205's and they aint.

damn the disks look big.

Anyone know if 15" steelies will fit over the 185's
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Tue, 27 September 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
15" should fit. given the caliper isnt particulary wide and height wise they fit under st185 15" wheels... so i assume they should Razz
nick.parker
Regular

January 2005
Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Fri, 14 October 2005 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Are the ST185 'big single' calipers a stright bolt on to the AW11?
(I know the discs are trickier to sort out)

Regards, Nick
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Fri, 14 October 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they will bolt onto the hubs but you will need the st185 discs to be redrilled to suit a 4X100 pattern
nick.parker
Regular

January 2005
Re: AW11-3SGTE brake upgrade Sun, 16 October 2005 02:26 Go to previous message

Is it legal to re-drill discs?
(For example those 5x100 ST185 discs and converting them to 4x100)

Maybe it would be possible to approach the brake disc manufacturer and get those discs custom made - after all its only the number of holes / angular spacing thats changing, or even get them without any hole and get it done at some workshop?

Cheers, Nick

[Updated on: Sun, 16 October 2005 02:29]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:exhaust noise
Next Topic:1jz boost, stall, gearing
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:42:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.007249116897583 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.