Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 7MGTE probs...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
thejackal
Occasional Poster

March 2005

7MGTE probs... Thu, 01 September 2005 07:51 Go to next message
ok so i bought a 1990 supra... mk3... 7MGTE...
so here goes...
i filled the tank on sunday night 60L of premium... my bank balance wasnt too healthy after that:P so ive been driving, havent been thrashing 100% of the time nmaybe 30% and ive done 260ks, and the fuel gague says its used 3/4 of a tank!??!?!?!?!?!
is this normal fuel consumption for this engine... or do i have a problem or are the gagues innacurite?
if it is just how much that engine drinks, what can i do to improve the economy?
  Send a private message to this user    
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 7MGTE probs... Thu, 01 September 2005 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im amfraid to say thats about normal for a 1600kg 7MGTE powered vehicle Smile
thejackal
Occasional Poster

March 2005

Re: 7MGTE probs... Thu, 01 September 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
far out, thats insane... thats like more than a V8
gah... looks like ill have to cut some boost and retard the tuning...
damn Sad
soarer21
Forums Junkie

Toymods Forum Sponsor

February 2003
Re: 7MGTE probs... Thu, 01 September 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fit an emanage or something and go have it tuned. I was getting around 450kms from a tank when my car was making 500hp. And I never babied it. No point having a turbo if you arent going to use it I say...... When it was running stock management it managed maybe 300-350 if I was lucky.
thejackal
Occasional Poster

March 2005

Re: 7MGTE probs... Thu, 01 September 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok cool, so i notice your an importer... what ecu would you reccomend and roughly how much is the adverage price for said ECU and install... im a supra n00b, i used to drive a celica... ask me pretty much anything about them and i can prolly tell you the answerthe supra is anuther story:P
soarer21
Forums Junkie

Toymods Forum Sponsor

February 2003
Re: 7MGTE probs... Thu, 01 September 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used an emanage on mine, which was very successful.
I have a complete unit that Id prepared for my wagon but it has now been graced with the presence of a 2JZGTE so the setup Ive made is redundant.

Its laptop tuneable, took about an hour or so for my tuner to get it right and its also legal as it retains all the emission cycles of the factory ecu etc.

If you are interested in this, its a complete plugin setup that anyone can install in about 8-10minutes including removal and refit of glovebox Smile
Been made using a piggyback loom, so its a matter of plug and play. Only suits the later generation of looms though.
Let me know if you're interested and I'll organise some pics and specs.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 7MGTE probs... Thu, 01 September 2005 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i could be interested in the piggyback computer... its for a 7mgte right?

does it require any tuning, or is it still programmed for a 7m?

what does it control? fuel, ignition, etc?

and what kind of price are you looking at?

thanks mate.
ryley Very Happy
soarer21
Forums Junkie

Toymods Forum Sponsor

February 2003
Re: 7MGTE probs... Thu, 01 September 2005 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its all brand new, so has not been programmed for any engine yet. It has just been set up so it can plug straight into the 7MGTE loom. Controls fuel and ignition, allows data logging etc. I want $850 for the entire setup with the piggyback ecu, harness's including the plugs to piggyback in between the engine loom and the ECU, an extra map sensor to allow proper tuning above the limit of the std AFM etc. Will allow you to run bigger injectors, clamp the AFM signal to prevent boost cut, advance or retard timing throughout rev range etc. Its laptop programmable only, no hand controller for them unless you buy a profec unit with the screen etc which can be used to control it.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 7MGTE probs... Thu, 01 September 2005 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soarer21 wrote on Fri, 02 September 2005 08:04

Its all brand new, so has not been programmed for any engine yet. It has just been set up so it can plug straight into the 7MGTE loom. Controls fuel and ignition, allows data logging etc. I want $850 for the entire setup with the piggyback ecu, harness's including the plugs to piggyback in between the engine loom and the ECU, an extra map sensor to allow proper tuning above the limit of the std AFM etc. Will allow you to run bigger injectors, clamp the AFM signal to prevent boost cut, advance or retard timing throughout rev range etc. Its laptop programmable only, no hand controller for them unless you buy a profec unit with the screen etc which can be used to control it.

Yellow or grey plug ECU ?
soarer21
Forums Junkie

Toymods Forum Sponsor

February 2003
Re: 7MGTE probs... Thu, 01 September 2005 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soarer21 wrote on Thu, 01 September 2005 21:51

Been made using a piggyback loom, so its a matter of plug and play. Only suits the later generation of looms though.

Grey plugs, yellow is early type mate Smile
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 7MGTE probs... Thu, 01 September 2005 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soarer21 wrote on Fri, 02 September 2005 08:10

Grey plugs, yellow is early type mate Smile

Thought so, but was just checking. So you didn't use that 7M crate motor. Oh well, I've since bought another engine for my car.....

Might be interested in one of the complete looms and ECU. Will send you an email in next day or so

Cheers

Michael B

PS The wheels that I bought off you are great, many thanks !!
soarer21
Forums Junkie

Toymods Forum Sponsor

February 2003
Re: 7MGTE probs... Thu, 01 September 2005 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Had full intentions of using it up until 2 days ago when I bought a cheap Aristo 2JZGTE halfcut. Plans changed quickly then.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 7MGTE probs... Fri, 02 September 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah shit, i don't think this will fit my 7m. mine has yellow and green plugs in the engine bay (is that what im meant to look at?)

but if i could fit it, i'd be very keen.... its an emanage yeah? is fuel, ignition and map sensors all standard features of one?

Smile
soarer21
Forums Junkie

Toymods Forum Sponsor

February 2003
Re: 7MGTE probs... Sat, 03 September 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its the ecu plugs you need to look at.

fuel and ignition and map sensing are all standard functions if you buy the right harness's and accessories to go with it. The base unit comes with none of these in the box but must be bought seperately.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 7MGTE probs... Sat, 03 September 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alright cool. i need to find my ecu (its a 7m in ma61) and ill let you know. im still pretty interested Very Happy would this thing provide the same features as an aftermarket computer? i like the idea of plug and play and the MAP sensor....

cheers
ryley
soarer21
Forums Junkie

Toymods Forum Sponsor

February 2003
Re: 7MGTE probs... Sat, 03 September 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it does allow fuel functionality like a fuel aftermarket system, but the map sensor does not replace the std AFM. It just allows referenced mapping of the fuel/ignition curves beyond the point the std AFM is clamped to prevent boost cut.
soarer21
Forums Junkie

Toymods Forum Sponsor

February 2003
Re: 7MGTE probs... Sat, 03 September 2005 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
More then likely the ecu is behind the glovebox
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 7MGTE probs... Sat, 03 September 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alright thanks john- i suspected as much with the ECU. i have a 21st tonight, but ill have a look tomorrow or mon day and get back to you. Smile

cheers
ryley Smile
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 7MGTE probs... Sat, 03 September 2005 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

its also legal as it retains all the emission cycles of the factory ecu etc.

Um no its NOT LEGAL to modify any part of the EFI system if you do you have to get it re-tested as per fitting a "proper" aftermarket ecu such as a motec.

Also a large fuel saver would be converting the 7m to full sequentual injection not batched pairs that it is.

I would suggest you save up and get a M600 motec or similer that has the ability to be locked and thus signed off on by an engineer.

Allan
soarer21
Forums Junkie

Toymods Forum Sponsor

February 2003
Re: 7MGTE probs... Sat, 03 September 2005 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
um, it IS legal to modify the EFI system however as you said it has to be tested to pass emissions for road use. However due to the nature of how the EManage unit works in conjunction with the factory ecu and the tests are carried out at cold startup, and cruise etc you will find it will almost certainly pass unlike almost every aftermarket ECU available (Haltec, EMS, Wolf etc etc). Not everyone has the huge amount of money required to buy, fit tune and have certified a Motec system Alan. Thats why there are companies like Wolf etc, and why 90% of cars running full aftermarket systems DONT have a Motec. Id love a motec myself, not because it can be certified but because its one of, if not THE best ECU available as a stand-alone unit. But the cost is something that makes you pause.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 7MGTE probs... Tue, 06 September 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry john- i've got an early model ECU and loom.

so i guess im out of the game for the emanage, sorry. Sad
7MSupra
Regular

April 2004
    ?
Re: 7MGTE probs... Tue, 06 September 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
U can install the emanage on both types of plugs.
89-92 turbo and the 87-88 turbo 7m's i have a wiring diagram that i can email if anyone needs it.
soarer21
Forums Junkie

Toymods Forum Sponsor

February 2003
Re: 7MGTE probs... Tue, 06 September 2005 22:37 Go to previous message
That is true, but this is actually wired into an old HKS piggyback loom from an F-Con so it is a plug n play operation. If you want to cut that off it again and hard wire it to the engine loom in your car then it'll work on anything just about.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:V6 ae92 corolla???
Next Topic:4agze No spark please help
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 03:41:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075910091400146 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.