Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Japanese Car Import Laws Thu, 01 September 2005 04:50 Go to next message
If you are importing a Personal Car from japan, say if you have owned it for 1 year in japan. I suppose compliance would be needed, but you can get cars over to Australia and registered that you couldn't normally?

Also, what is the advantage of bringing a car over for race or rally use? Do still you need to get the car complied? After import costs... would it be worth while to bring a car like an sw20 or something similar over from japan?

I hope all that makes sense.
  Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Japanese Car Import Laws Thu, 01 September 2005 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no point bringing an sw20 turbo or NA over cos theres plenty over here anyway, you wanna get something unique. Wink
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Japanese Car Import Laws Thu, 01 September 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt-itude wrote on Thu, 01 September 2005 14:50

If you are importing a Personal Car from japan, say if you have owned it for 1 year in japan. I suppose compliance would be needed, but you can get cars over to Australia and registered that you couldn't normally?

Also, what is the advantage of bringing a car over for race or rally use? Do still you need to get the car complied? After import costs... would it be worth while to bring a car like an sw20 or something similar over from japan?

I hope all that makes sense.

not full compliance, just saftey items afaik.. please call DOTARS and find out properly tho..

SW20? but you could get one here, stick in imported turbo motor etc etc....

cars are not that cheap in japan for ones that can still be REGISTERED in japan, and rego costs in japan are not so cheap either (but not that bad)...

agree with MR 1JZ... get something no-one else has, and will retain value/street cred Razz

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Japanese Car Import Laws Thu, 01 September 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Thu, 01 September 2005 15:06

agree with MR 1JZ... get something no-one else has, and will retain value/street cred Razz

please do not insult me Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Razz Razz Razz Razz
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Japanese Car Import Laws Thu, 01 September 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NOTE: you need to have a CAMS level 3 licence to import a car for race/rally use....

Personal imports. You have to LIVE in Japan for one year. DOTARS now do some VERY serious checks to prove that you actually lived in japan, checks on registrations of the vehicle, etc etc...

SW20 = not worth it.
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: Japanese Car Import Laws Thu, 01 September 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the honest replies, I have a mate going into japan for over a year, and i was just wondering if i could take advantage of the situation somehow.

i was just thinking SW20 for off road type uses - motokhana and the likes, and wondered if i could pick up a bargain there rather than buying one here.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Japanese Car Import Laws Thu, 01 September 2005 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon pick up something unique like the other boys said and then sell it over here, make a profit and do what you want with the money Smile
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Japanese Car Import Laws Thu, 01 September 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
itd be worth it if u were going to bring in something like a 22B imprezza (i dont think there are any in australia) or a RS200 Altezza or something that had a pissy australian eqivelent, ie IS200 or a cressida or a Celcior or a crown or something orignal like a caldina.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Japanese Car Import Laws Thu, 01 September 2005 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you need to speak japanese when over in japan? or is english pretty common there now ?

always wanted to go to japan!
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Japanese Car Import Laws Thu, 01 September 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why do you have to live in japan for a year to import a car for personal use??? if you have to get compliance on it anyway i cant really see the difference for owning it for a day or a year. just seams like a weird rule
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Japanese Car Import Laws Thu, 01 September 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Also, what is the advantage of bringing a car over for race or rally use? Do still you need to get the car complied?

There are no advantages unless you:
a) wanna Race/Rally it;
or
b)Say you have a certain "rare" car in your garage but never drive it....No need for compliance, but as WITZL said, you'll need a Level 3 cams lic. and it can only be Rally registered which requires permits, sup regs etc to give reasons on why your driving it.

Quote:

22B imprezza (i dont think there are any in australia)

I believe there are two, Subaru Oz definately has one and a wealth Business man supposely has the another.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Japanese Car Import Laws Thu, 01 September 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive seen a 22B wrx in north sydney a couple of years back.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Japanese Car Import Laws Thu, 01 September 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling wrote on Thu, 01 September 2005 22:03

do you need to speak japanese when over in japan? or is english pretty common there now ?

always wanted to go to japan!

You'll definitely get by without knowing how to speak Japanese.
I wanna go too Very Happy
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Japanese Car Import Laws Thu, 01 September 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havabeer wrote on Thu, 01 September 2005 22:13

why do you have to live in japan for a year to import a car for personal use??? if you have to get compliance on it anyway i cant really see the difference for owning it for a day or a year. just seams like a weird rule

You're getting confused buddy. A personal import is just you, on your own, bringing in a car from Japan. It's not about the amount of time you own because it has to get checked out either way as you said. The difference is that there are certain cars you CANNOT bring into Australia, mainly cars that have been sold locally in Australia. Reason being, second hand versions are often significantly cheaper than buying them new in Australia and they have a lot less km's done in Japan so people would rather import cheap second hand cars than pay that significant extra to have them new - which is detrimental to the car market here in Australia. However if you've lived in Japan (and most other countries I'm sure) for a year you're entitled to bring back your car no matter what it is. Either way it has to meet ADR/compliance and that crap but you can bring in anything you like so if the car you want is something you can already get over here it's better to get something unique or a more powerful version of what's already available here.
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Japanese Car Import Laws Thu, 01 September 2005 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

22B imprezza (i dont think there are any in australia)

Autostyle got one in I believe? Not sure how, or if this is even true. Rumours and all that.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Japanese Car Import Laws Thu, 01 September 2005 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thu187 wrote on Thu, 01 September 2005 23:54

havabeer wrote on Thu, 01 September 2005 22:13

You're getting confused buddy. A personal import is just you, on your own, bringing in a car from Japan. It's not about the amount of time you own because it has to get checked out either way as you said. The difference is that there are certain cars you CANNOT bring into Australia, mainly cars that have been sold locally in Australia. Reason being, second hand versions are often significantly cheaper than buying them new in Australia and they have a lot less km's done in Japan so people would rather import cheap second hand cars than pay that significant extra to have them new - which is detrimental to the car market here in Australia. However if you've lived in Japan (and most other countries I'm sure) for a year you're entitled to bring back your car no matter what it is. Either way it has to meet ADR/compliance and that crap but you can bring in anything you like so if the car you want is something you can already get over here it's better to get something unique or a more powerful version of what's already available here.

thanks heaps for clearing that up for me Very Happy
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Japanese Car Import Laws Thu, 01 September 2005 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found a genuine SW20 GT Limited for $6200 landed around 6 months ago it would have still been eligible now it was an 89 model... How can you beat price by buying a local? even if you buy an SW20 and do the turbo conversion all yourself... the only real things that were wrong with it was a damaged driver seat and faded roof...
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Japanese Car Import Laws Thu, 01 September 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you still need compliance on top of that and if the car is that cheap generally it'll have more wrong it than you think.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Japanese Car Import Laws Thu, 01 September 2005 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I neglected to mention that I payed the $89 to have it checked out by a mechanic through Prestige Motorsport. Since It was under the 15year rule compliance should have costed 3K max... So say it ends up costing you 10 grand all up, your still ahead of the 18grand up that GT Limited SW20's are pulling here...
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Japanese Car Import Laws Thu, 01 September 2005 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check again there is one for sale for 13,500 atm
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Japanese Car Import Laws Thu, 01 September 2005 23:22 Go to previous message
touche
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TITAN TUBE CHASIS SUPRA RUNS 6.44 @ 218
Next Topic:toyota wreakers in melbourne?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 22:29:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066661834716797 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.