Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mic*
Regular

July 2005
1G-GZE boost upgrade Thu, 01 September 2005 02:19 Go to next message
I was hoping to get some "respected" opinions on throwing in a larger crankshaft pulley for the S/C on th ol 1G, which sits in a recently attained Mark II.

I dont claim to know heaps about this donk. Gimme a turbo any day of the week, however right now my pockets are not lined thick enough to throw dosh at the conversion. I think they (1G-GZE) run about 6psi ??? in stock trim. I was hpoing to tickle about 10 out of it to keep me going for a while.

My concerns are;

The tensioner for the belt getting in the way as OD of the new pulley would be roughly (read - guessing) 40mm greater.

Overheating the intake charge.

Gearbox is auto, & therefore the effect on the box with the electric clutch cutting the S/C in at 1.5-2X the boost.

Given my total lack of knowledge about this motor in general, any suggestions about anything are much appreciated.
  Send a private message to this user    
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: 1G-GZE boost upgrade Thu, 01 September 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone know what size the stocko S/C belt is??? Needs to be done even if Pulley is not changed now...

Would like to have belt before car is "on blocks"
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G-GZE boost upgrade Thu, 01 September 2005 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unless the oversized crank pulley is a replica of the Toyota one (but larger), I wouldn't use it.

Toyota pulleys have a bead of rubber in them to smooth out harmonics.

You'd be better off installing a smaller pulley on the supercharger, and getting rid of the clutch.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: 1G-GZE boost upgrade Thu, 01 September 2005 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe they run 9psi and put out 185horsepower @ 6200rpm if i recall correctly.
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: 1G-GZE boost upgrade Thu, 01 September 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats what i was originally thinkin - smaller S/C pulley, but some guy at CAPA suggested crank. I was in a hurry and didn really ask why, jus assumed it was for a good reason.

I was planning, whichever one, to have it engineered from cast ally. Would that be more suitable on the S/C than the crank? How does this rubber work? I cant imagine it doing much after 16 years of hot & cold... If it still resembles rubber at all.

I would like the feel of the car alot more if it was running S/C constantly, but i dont think they have a "no load air bypass" (whatever you call this) because they have an electric clutch, therefore im thinkin fuel goes through the roof with no clutch???
Confused
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G-GZE boost upgrade Thu, 01 September 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buy putting a bigger crank pulley on, you start over driving the waterpump, alternator, and power steering pump.
All bad things to do.

And the rubber will be perfectly fine, even after this length in time. (unless its been covered in oil)

Couldn't say much about fuel, I don't really take that into consideration when I have a performance motor.
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: 1G-GZE boost upgrade Thu, 01 September 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fair point with fuel. Daily driver thats all...

Rubber only exists on crank pulley, not any of the slave pulleys???

Was only gonna increase actual S/C drive wheel so as NOT to overload all of the above.

Much more of an engineering feat tho than smaller S/C.

What about centrifugal cluth as S/C pulley.

Ever heard of it being done? I am a real S/C no-hoper.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G-GZE boost upgrade Thu, 01 September 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh, I forgot it was on its own pulley. I'm used to serpentine belts.

I'm sure there have been many people in the past who have put a smaller pulley on the supercharger.

It would be easier than making a bigger crank pulley, but you'd lose the clutch.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 1G-GZE boost upgrade Thu, 01 September 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there have been conversions with the sc12 where they use an ea falcon air con pulley welded onto the original s/c clutch so you get the benefits of a smaller pulley with the clutch aswell...

Supposed to give 14psi with the stock crank pulley up from 8psi standard is quite an improvement...

You may well be able to do something similar with a custom billet s/c pulley welded onto the clutch
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: 1G-GZE boost upgrade Thu, 01 September 2005 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
admittedly i have not inspected one of these S/C pulleys out of vehicle. Does the belt wheel remove from the electric clutch? Otherwise im picturing a smaller wheel welded to the front of the existing one, thus creating probs with belt alignment???
Adsport
Regular

December 2003
Re: 1G-GZE boost upgrade Fri, 02 September 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can fit either a levin (ae92 or ae101) supercharger pulley or go for the EA aircon pulley mod , both of thsese allow you to retain the electric clutch. search the forums there is a writeup by "Bayka" outlining what you need.

or just throw it out and get a 1J!
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: 1G-GZE boost upgrade Fri, 02 September 2005 06:24 Go to previous message
...Jumping in the deep and gonna stick with the 1G block for now, though it may soon become GTE. Never been a fan of S/C's but always been a fan of originality. There is plenty of potential in a 1G it mite jus take a little more encouragement than the heavier 1JZ you find under every toyo bonnet these days... Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Tacho Signal Converters "1JZ Conversion working"
Next Topic:1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 07:17:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043931007385254 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.