Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 3SGTE headers..

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
EVL-184
Regular

June 2005
3SGTE headers.. Mon, 29 August 2005 13:27 Go to next message
hey all , as you may hav seen, heard or even both , aussie exhaust make the tuned length headers to suit the 3SGTE, my question is anybody using these or know of anyone using them and whats teh result,, would u recommend them,what the power gains approx from these,i understand that each and every engine will respond differently , but whats a ball park figure of gains both power and torque,spool up.. etc..?
  Send a private message to this user    
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 3SGTE headers.. Tue, 30 August 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just got a tuned length exhaust manifold and downpipe combo from ebay delivered today, they are goin on the 185 tonight hehe

ill let you know how they go. In the end the 2 of them cost me less that the cost of a custom Aussie dump pipe delivered to sydney. and they were shipped from the US. All they have to do now is stand up to some punishment. Very Happy

The things I am going to take notice of is how the turbo is affected by a much more free flowing exhaust. Im assuming I will have to adjust my boost controller as im not sure if the flow rates relationship between the turbine and wastegate will change...will boost creep be more or less apparent im honestly not sure as yet.

Not to hijack the thread, but do people recommend those heat wraps when it comes to exhaust componenets? for exmaple, would wrapping the downpipe and exhaust runners compromise them in any way??
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: 3SGTE headers.. Tue, 30 August 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silverghost- you didn't buy the SS Autochrome manifold+dump did you? because i've heard alot of bad stuff about the quality of these things. Eg. manifold cracking due to the weight of the turbo etc.

Anyway, header wrap is good, but it does reduce the life of the extractor, due to heat not being able to escape...

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3SGTE headers.. Wed, 31 August 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also moisture from the air tends to get trapped beneath the wrapping causing the extractors to rot/rust.
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: 3SGTE headers.. Wed, 31 August 2005 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ss automotive are HORRIBLE, their welds are crap and crack easy, they use cheap stainless steel (you want marine grade which not many places use)

and even if it looks good, it doesnt perform (ss a's make headers for cars that look like once from other companies but because their port/flange work is so crap it doesnt make any extra gain at all)

about the new manifold

im guessing youll be a bit more laggier on the spoolup, but it wont choke as much hi end.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3SGTE headers.. Thu, 01 September 2005 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seriously lol have yous looked under the ct26... there is very little chance the manifold will crack due to weight there is 2 huge cast iron braces that hold the turbo up... they may crack due to heat but i doubt from weight on them...

and the standard gen 2 3sgte manifold aint bad flowing from the factory...so i doubt youll see a huge gain except wank factor Razz

[Updated on: Thu, 01 September 2005 05:14]

1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: 3SGTE headers.. Thu, 01 September 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
terra wrote on Thu, 01 September 2005 07:37

ss automotive are HORRIBLE, their welds are crap and crack easy, they use cheap stainless steel (you want marine grade which not many places use)

and even if it looks good, it doesnt perform (ss a's make headers for cars that look like once from other companies but because their port/flange work is so crap it doesnt make any extra gain at all)

about the new manifold

im guessing youll be a bit more laggier on the spoolup, but it wont choke as much hi end.

do you mean the 3sgte headers are crap or their whole range??
you seem to have the most knowledge on their products
how did they go on your gt4??
can you tell me the flow difference between their manifold and a factory manifold if their port/flange work is crap as you say
and gain is nothing - it makes me wonder why they make them

cheers Very Happy
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 3SGTE headers.. Thu, 01 September 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I assume your referring to Stainless Steel Type 316 for food, surgical stainless and marine steel uses; The Alloy addition of molybdenum is added to prevent specific forms of corrosion....

My only question is what does lack of corrosion have to do with a blend of Stainless which can be heat treated. 316, or for that matter all 300 series Austentic Stainless employs a iron-chromium-nickel alloy which makes them ideal for surgical instruments and cutlery, but can be either annelaed or case hardened with the addition of extreme heat, and metallurgy 101 says hardened metals are more brittle....who wants a brittle exhaust?? not me....

Type 409 is the cheapest type of Stainless alloy; used for automobile exhausts is Ferritic in nature i.e. (iron/chromium only). Ferritic stainless steels are still highly corrosion resistant, but arent quite as durable than austenitic grades. But the main advantage is they cannot be hardened by heat treatment which means an exhaust that will be rapidly heated and cooled many hundreds of times over the next few years will retain the same metallurgical charateristics as the day it was first fabricated.

I for one am glad i didnt buy a 'marine grade' stainless exhaust, but then again i am new to all of this bizzo....

[Updated on: Thu, 01 September 2005 09:02]

terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: 3SGTE headers.. Thu, 01 September 2005 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1gt48u wrote on Thu, 01 September 2005 16:07

about the new manifold

can you tell me the flow difference between their manifold and a factory manifold if their port/flange work is crap as you say

cheers Very Happy

wasnt me, a mate put SS A's headers for a 5s-fe on his car and it ended up making no gains at all, although it did look nice, that was about it. lots of bad stories about their work at toyotanation forums too.

their shit looks good (well the welds dont but...) <-- ppl buy rice Razz
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 3SGTE headers.. Thu, 01 September 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
terra wrote on Thu, 01 September 2005 19:07

1gt48u wrote on Thu, 01 September 2005 16:07

about the new manifold

cheers Very Happy

wasnt me, a mate put SS A's headers for a 5s-fe on his car and it ended up making no gains at all, although it did look nice, that was about it. lots of bad stories about their work at toyotanation forums too.

their shit looks good (well the welds dont but...) <-- ppl buy rice Razz

The difference between a 5SFE N/A manifold and a 3SGTE Twin entry Turbo manifold could not be any different in dimensions and flow characteristics....and the difference in power gains between upgrading to a free flowing exhaust manifold on an N/A car and that of a turbo car couldnt be greater.....

You are trying to compare apples and oranges in an attempt to sound like an authority on a topic which you have no first hand experience in and you opinions seem to have basis in observation not fact.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: 3SGTE headers.. Thu, 01 September 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Give Silverghost a break guys... let him try the manifold and see if its any good.
If it's crap and cracks or just doesn't flow then he'll have to get handy with a TIG and die grinder.
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 3SGTE headers.. Thu, 01 September 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Thu, 01 September 2005 19:29

Give Silverghost a break guys... let him try the manifold and see if its any good.
If it's crap and cracks or just doesn't flow then he'll have to get handy with a TIG and die grinder.

oh god....in that case im doomed Laughing

In all honesty I think many people neglect to put the including bracing on when they install it (it does come with braces) because it is a pain in the ass to get to, in my case most of the engine is apart so I can put both the top and bottom bracing in place as i install it...so if all goes well weight etc shouldnt be a problem...but, if thats the case Toobs, can i borrow a TIG Cool
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3SGTE headers.. Thu, 01 September 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
youll be right silverghost nezza has a ss manifold for his 3sgte ahd it for months and its holding up fine. the standard bracing holding the ct26 up is enough to hold the car up lol... people auotmaticly assume because it is not worth 2000 dollars it cant be good... most likely not the best on the market but id say theyd do a fairly good job.... just like the cheap coolers i cant see a problem with mine cools well you dont need beter for a street car in my eyes
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: 3SGTE headers.. Thu, 01 September 2005 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SilverGhost wrote on Thu, 01 September 2005 19:33

if thats the case Toobs, can i borrow a TIG Cool

I'm not rich enough to have a TIG... can probably lend you an Oxy though Very Happy
But then again you could always just ask Jason (Yellorolla) to weld it up for you.
DamMR2T
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: 3SGTE headers.. Fri, 02 September 2005 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What other options are there for 3SGTE/MR2 Headers and Dump Pipes in Australia besides the expensive ($500-Dump Pipe) aussie exhausts ones. Do they have any competition or is that how they can charge so much?
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: 3SGTE headers.. Fri, 02 September 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The American's really seem to hate SS Autochrome. alot of the celica owners complain about there quality. also giving a 6-12mths warranty isn't very comforting imo...

here are some links, hopefully the pics still work.

http://92civic.tripod.com/

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1073443
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 3SGTE headers.. Fri, 02 September 2005 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Firstly, I didnt come on here to advertise SS or anything, so lets get that straight.

The reason why I responded to this thread originally is I saw another toymodder who was enquiring about headers for a 3sgte, and because I was actually in a position to gain some First Hand Knowledge in that area I was planning to share my experience.

Shortly after comes a barrage of negative comments on what I had purchased based on second and third hand opinions and very little, if any, first hand experience.

I thought the whole idea of the Tech & Conversions section was to share factual information in order to help people make informed decisions about modding their cars, this whole thread has made me lose faith in this community as this thread does not reflect open mindedness at all.

Im genuinely sorry I responded to this thread and know not to try and share my experiences with others in the future since its clear opinions have more weight here than fact.
EVL-184
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGTE headers.. Fri, 02 September 2005 10:55 Go to previous message
Silverghost..Im sorry if this thread was the one to kinder flip your lid (so to speak) but as i was asking , are these headers any good, you say u fitted yours.. how did they preform..? I didnt ask bout any particular brand, but how did your ones work, are they worth buying...?

As for the Aussie Exhaust ones. there prices at $1150
i guess your paying for the quality as well as the aussie exhaust brand..!

so again Thanks to u Silverghost for sharing you experience with us..
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Rebuild 4AGE - HELP!!!
Next Topic:Setting up Super ITC and SAFC (Dial Version)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 05:05:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0088019371032715 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.