Toymods » Tech & Conversions » lowering hilux 4x4 89

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
botcolon
Newcomer

September 2005
icon2.gif  lowering hilux 4x4 89 Fri, 02 September 2005 01:26 Go to next message
Newbie here.

been searching on the forum and found no info so am resorting to a new thread. Anyone lowered a 4x4 hilux. I can see the rear quite straight forward as this is similar to 2wd hilux's but how would you approach doing the front-end?

starting to enjoy the mini-truck scene and might be interested in mods on my hilux.

botcolon
  Send a private message to this user    
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: lowering hilux 4x4 89 Fri, 02 September 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Please explain why you would want to lower a 4x4 hilux?
botcolon
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: lowering hilux 4x4 89 Fri, 02 September 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why does anyone lower a vehicle? its just a car!
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: lowering hilux 4x4 89 Fri, 02 September 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think you have to convert it to RWD only, as the transfer case poses some big problems.
got to subsided and look on there, a guy lowered his 4Runner but not sure how it was done, all i know it was a fair bit of work too do
botcolon
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: lowering hilux 4x4 89 Fri, 02 September 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you got a link for subsided?
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: lowering hilux 4x4 89 Fri, 02 September 2005 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Save yourself alot of trouble and get a 2WD'er and lower that.

Lowering a 4WD defeats the purpose of it being 4WD Rolling Eyes
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: lowering hilux 4x4 89 Fri, 02 September 2005 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a 2nd hand set of 3 inch lowering blocks for sale if u want

they came of my 92 2wd hilux

PMP020
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: lowering hilux 4x4 89 Fri, 02 September 2005 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4x4 hilux is made for off road so take it there dont lower the thing so u cant even drive it around over spoon drains n speed bumps.

u wana gut a hilux get urself a 2x4 hilux and go nuts.

my 2 cents

cheers scott
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: lowering hilux 4x4 89 Fri, 02 September 2005 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/0347/1.jpg

[Updated on: Fri, 02 September 2005 14:09]

ozzy31
Occasional Poster

June 2005

Re: lowering hilux 4x4 89 Fri, 02 September 2005 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a stock ride height 4Runner, 22re ported and polished, headers - not crazy, but it's healthy... it moves.

I've thought about lowering it to get better highway mileage (less wind resistence, frontal area)... done right, I guess it would improve 'handling'... but that said, I've taken twisty highways (canyons) aggresively and was impressed that an otherwise stock height 4Runner could cope with the speeds I was pushing.

I tend to agree that a 2wd 4Runner would likely be the better candidate. On a 4wd, one can raise and lower the front IFS slightly with more or less tension on the torsion bars but that's nothing. Trouble with the front IFS on the truck and 4Runner is there is very little suspension travel to begin with, you're always limited by those bump stops and the overall setup.

I somewhat like the look of a lowered 4Runner (Surf) though... sort of has that Dodge Magnum (station wagon), that thing got a hemi?, kind of feel to it. A lowered 4Runner definitely needs 300+ hp, just so you have something to justify the craziness of lowering a 4wd truck.
Richrider
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: lowering hilux 4x4 89 Sat, 03 September 2005 23:09 Go to previous message
Don't waste a good 4x4
Confused Confused Shocked
If it is a 89 to 96 shape Hilux and not the 81 to 89 4x4, I might be interested in swapping for my 94 2wd Lux, 22r, extractors, big exhaust, Single cab, tub, Falcon 16" rims.
Will clean up into a very nice Lowrider Smile
Will swap for a 89/96 Surf/Duelcab 4x4, any engine.
Rich (In Melbourne)
Rich
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:very odd ideling problem---gtfour
Next Topic:- Axles, 24spline, 25-26mm
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 17:34:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0042369365692139 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.