Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
T50 vs W55 on a Silvertop 20V Fri, 02 September 2005 19:54 Go to next message
ok guys ive searched but havent quite found the answers im looking for. Im doing a 20v conversion on my KE55 and had orignally planned to use a W55 gearbox, now what i need to know is will a T50 hold up behind a lightly tuned 20v (lets presume im getting about 90kw @ the wheels) i had originally thought that it wouldnt but after seeing some of the AE86 guys (mainly screebus) drifintg at oran park it appears as tho they can cop a bit of a beating. in short i want to drive my car pretty hard, i want to do a bit of track work and some drifting also.

would i be better off putting the extra money into a T50 that i would save by not having to buy a W55 -> 4A bellhousing by rebuilding a T50.

are the JDM ones stronger? Im not too sure about using a TA22 box casue i dont think theyre as strong as the aus spec sprinter ones.

money isnt really an issue its more the pain in the arse of having to set up a custom clutch/flywheel combination and ive heard of alot of the bellhousings being dodgy, that said i was going to go with a Bill Sherwood one.

your help is appreciated. basically i want to know if a freshly rebuilt T50 will hold up, if not ill just go with a W55 casue i dont want to have to keep changing boxes all the time.

thanks for your help guys
  Send a private message to this user    
Blown86
Regular

July 2002
Re: T50 vs W55 on a Silvertop 20V Fri, 02 September 2005 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A T50 will easily handle a 20V, save the money for a close ratio gear set, a cwp to suit. The T50 is also a fair bit lighter as well.

[Updated on: Fri, 02 September 2005 20:17]

chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: T50 vs W55 on a Silvertop 20V Sat, 03 September 2005 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah the t50 will take that power, a freshly rebuilt one will last for a long time. JDM t50's are no stronger, difference is the bellhousing.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: T50 vs W55 on a Silvertop 20V Sat, 03 September 2005 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As said, aussie or jap AE86 T50 are same internally, but just don't go for a TA22 or TE72 T50, even though you can bolt them up to the A series bellhousing & shifter extension, they have smaller bearings (particularly the input shaft bearing) that don't last the distance.

Cheers
Phil
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: T50 vs W55 on a Silvertop 20V Sat, 03 September 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so with the bellhousing, i take it u mean the master cylinder input is on different sides?? which would be best suited to a KE55? probably one that has it on the same side as a TA22 t50 casue ill be using ta22 parts to convert the car to hydrallic clutch.

how much am i looking at for a rebuild with a close ratio gearset? (not including intial purchase of the box of course)

thanks
pheonix83
Regular

June 2004
Re: T50 vs W55 on a Silvertop 20V Sun, 04 September 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no matter what u are gonna have to cut a new shifter hole.

and also if u arent gonna use and aftermarket computer and coilpacks, your gonna have to cut a hole in the firewall too
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: T50 vs W55 on a Silvertop 20V Sun, 04 September 2005 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gear pairs are about $500 each.

I thought TA22 direct-shifter T50 was a close to perfect length for KE3# and KE5# apps. Check Jonny Rochester's site.
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: T50 vs W55 on a Silvertop 20V Sun, 04 September 2005 18:35 Go to previous message
pheonix83 wrote on Sun, 04 September 2005 22:23

no matter what u are gonna have to cut a new shifter hole.

and also if u arent gonna use and aftermarket computer and coilpacks, your gonna have to cut a hole in the firewall too

im not asking about doing a RWD 20v conversion please keep your answers relevant.

regardless of what box i use, the further back the shift the better.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:rabid chimp parts
Next Topic:Car Wont Start!!!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:40:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048179626464844 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.