Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 3sgte blow off vavle removal?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
esk34
Regular

February 2005
3sgte blow off vavle removal? Fri, 02 September 2005 23:46 Go to next message
Hi all,
I got my 1990 GT4 last night, and am trying to nut out somef the problems today.
It is running rich, It has puffs of black smoke under acceleration. The previous owner has a venting blow off valve installed, which from reading this site I now know is most likely the cause of it running rich.
I need to know did gt4's come with a factry blow off vavle, if so where is it?
Will disconecting the vaccuum hose on the blow off vavle turn it off, and when I do remove it will I need to plug the vaccuum hose?
  Send a private message to this user    
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 3sgte blow off vavle removal? Sat, 03 September 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ST185 GT4's never came with a BOV.

Just removing the vacuum line will not turn it off, as the bov needs the vac line to keep shut under pressure.

Only way to get around it, is to remove the valve completely.

Although saying that, GT4's run rich stock on acceleration. Puff of black smoke out the back is quite normal. MR2's show the same characteristic.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: 3sgte blow off vavle removal? Sat, 03 September 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought you needed boost to keep it shut... the boost pushes against the diaphragm and holds it shut whereas the vacuum pulls on the diaphragm and opens it.

If you wanted to keep it shut all the time you may be able to adjust the spring to a point where it will not ever open... this would depend on how much adjustment you have on the spring though.

Or possibly install a one way valve.

But then again why not just go buy a plumback BOV and set it up properly... this would ensure your engine doesn't lose any metered air and would keep the local PD happy at the same time.
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: 3sgte blow off vavle removal? Sat, 03 September 2005 05:10 Go to previous message
Yeah, the vac line keeps the BOV closed under boost with the boost pressure, when the pressure drops the BOV opens. Removing the BOV won't help your car run leaner. The BOV will only make it run rich between gear changes (when the BOV is open).
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1JZGTE (W/O ABS) Speedo Sensor Input
Next Topic:J160 speedo cable
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:07:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047399997711182 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.