Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Turbo spool noise Thu, 01 September 2005 22:07 Go to next message
Are turbos (rebuilt CT26 w/ 49mm comp and supra wheel) supposed to be soo loud? this thing sounds like a jet trying to take off it does reach its target boost fine. But should I be concerned? My car has been retuned to run factory boost now after breaking in the engine and I'm new to all this turbo tech.

Send a private message to this user    
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Turbo spool noise Thu, 01 September 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HAHA i know what u mean!!! i have a ct26 with a supra compressor wheel and the turbo is loud as! my mate has a standard ct26 and u cant really hear it at all Confused I dont think its anything to worry about because the turbo in my car has been that noisy ever since i got it Smile Also how do u find it for power/lag difference compared to the normal ct26?
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Turbo spool noise Thu, 01 September 2005 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll probably find that your intake makes a huge difference to the induction noises. If you run a standard airbox the turbo will be significantly quieter than if you run an aftermarket pod.
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Turbo spool noise Thu, 01 September 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WantaTurbo wrote on Fri, 02 September 2005 09:19

how do u find it for power/lag difference compared to the normal ct26?

power comes on strong at 2800rpm but in taller gears its starts boosting at about 2k rpm

shezza
Regular

March 2005
Re: Turbo spool noise Fri, 02 September 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know there are things called turbo whistles or something of the sort and it magnifies the standard spooling noise. Maybe u have one of those.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Turbo spool noise Fri, 02 September 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shezza wrote on Fri, 02 September 2005 10:17

I know there are things called turbo whistles or something of the sort and it magnifies the standard spooling noise. Maybe u have one of those.

? I think "turbo whistle" is the the name applied to the noise a turbo makes when spooling up.

A device to make the turbos louder? oh my god... if such a thing exists, i feel like I need to be sick
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Turbo spool noise Fri, 02 September 2005 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think some of it has to do with what POD you are using too. K&N's are loud, APEXi's are relatively quiet etc...

[Updated on: Fri, 02 September 2005 00:28]

Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Turbo spool noise Fri, 02 September 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my splitfire pod amplifies the noise a fair bit, compared to my airbox.

however I ended up putting the airbox back on anyway Rolling Eyes
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Turbo spool noise Fri, 02 September 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine only has a K&N panel filter and stock exhuast but the ct26 with supra compressor wheels r just really loud.
shezza
Regular

March 2005
Re: Turbo spool noise Fri, 02 September 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo wrote on Fri, 02 September 2005 10:20

shezza wrote on Fri, 02 September 2005 10:17

? I think "turbo whistle" is the the name applied to the noise a turbo makes when spooling up.

A device to make the turbos louder? oh my god... if such a thing exists, i feel like I need to be sick

No its a part called a turbo whistle. It makes the iiiii noise louder so u get more looks Razz
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Turbo spool noise Fri, 02 September 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh so its the pod that makes a difference? my apexi is loud! you can hear the suction at 1,500rpm pre boost.

mines sits right near the intake vent becuase of the way the pipes are.

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/7933/dsc002288vi.jpg
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Turbo spool noise Fri, 02 September 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fark thats certainly cold air induction right there!

awesome!
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Turbo spool noise Fri, 02 September 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe didnt you see it the other night Garth? or you were too busy flossing your ae86 Razz

my sw20 didnt compare so i didnt park nex to you Sad

some people reckon water will get it.. but ive tried it out at the car wash and its got some sort of defuser so its ok Very Happy
Skein
Regular

November 2002

Re: Turbo spool noise Fri, 02 September 2005 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you have piping between the pod and the turbo, the pipe material will make a difference in induction noise. Solid pipe like steel or alloy will be louder compared to thick hose.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Turbo spool noise Fri, 02 September 2005 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skein wrote on Fri, 02 September 2005 13:37

if you have piping between the pod and the turbo, the pipe material will make a difference in induction noise. Solid pipe like steel or alloy will be louder compared to thick hose.

Explains why even for a 1G, my turbos have been really loud
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Turbo spool noise Fri, 02 September 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SW20R wrote on Fri, 02 September 2005 12:46

oh so its the pod that makes a difference? my apexi is loud! you can hear the suction at 1,500rpm pre boost.

mines sits right near the intake vent becuase of the way the pipes are.

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/7933/dsc002288vi.jpg

looks like a speaker.. lol thought you had it there to make spool noises. Laughing Laughing
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Turbo spool noise Fri, 02 September 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats awsome, ive never seen that on an mr2, i only ever see the snorkel things. well done.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Turbo spool noise Fri, 02 September 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo wrote on Fri, 02 September 2005 12:33

explains why even for a 1G, my turbos have been really loud
CT12's are ALWAYS loud Razz
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Turbo spool noise Fri, 02 September 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
carsanactra wrote on Fri, 02 September 2005 16:45

thats awsome, ive never seen that on an mr2, i only ever see the snorkel things. well done.

I still do have the snorkel.. but its being used for my intercooler

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/8433/dsc002401sz.jpg

the whole piping setup is back to front..
Senor_2
Regular

September 2003
Re: Turbo spool noise Fri, 02 September 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting setup SW20R, any more details on your mods?
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Turbo spool noise Fri, 02 September 2005 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 02 September 2005 16:47

Merudo wrote on Fri, 02 September 2005 12:33

explains why even for a 1G, my turbos have been really loud
CT12's are ALWAYS loud Razz

glorious sound though isn't it! Very Happy
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turbo spool noise Fri, 02 September 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CT12's at 15psi in the "right conditions" sound awesome, not only does it sound like a jet, you can hear the air rushing in fast making a very unique sound. My intake noise is often louder than the exhaust Very Happy
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Turbo spool noise Sat, 03 September 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senor_2 wrote on Fri, 02 September 2005 18:14

Interesting setup SW20R, any more details on your mods?

Bog stock! GEN 2 ST185 Motor, CT26 with 49m comp, supra wheel. 3" catback.
Senor_2
Regular

September 2003
Re: Turbo spool noise Sat, 03 September 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you still running standard boost? Any performance numbers with this setup yet (dyno, 1/4 mile)?

For the front engined guys, about the sound of the turbo, it's even better in an MR2 as the turbo is just behind your left ear, love it Very Happy
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Turbo spool noise Sat, 03 September 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
140RWKW old 9psi old engine. stock ic and stock intake
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Turbo spool noise Sat, 03 September 2005 11:01 Go to previous message
drove a dead stock ST185 GT4 today and you could not here the turbo at all, but you could feel it and the factory boost gauge said it was making boost (decent) from around 2.5Krpm woot.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:cutting springs
Next Topic:Buying a new corolla
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:47:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059010982513428 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.