Toymods » General Car Talk » Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon9.gif  Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Tue, 04 February 2003 23:06 Go to next message
It seems like all good cars seem to come to an end this year. Helmann with his beast, and bigworm with his, and another mate of mine just crashed his supra....now i have joined the pack. Sad
I was travelling home from my GF's place last night in the rain, and unusually i wasn't trying to drift everywhere. I was cruising down the cunningham HWY at about 90KM/H in a 100 zone around a corner(which i know i can safely do at speed in the dry) and there was a great big F'N puddle of water in my way!!! It was too late to swerve so i just went through it. I came out ok, until i tried to straighten up(slowly) and the ass end flew out from under me. Fellow RA28 owners would know that these cars are not fun trying to hold in the wet. After a couple of seconds trying to regain control and almost plowing head 1st into the centre cement divider(the big type) i managed to spin it around just quick enough not to get any front end damage(bar one bent rim) and copped a smack up the ass. The rear end is pretty badly damaged, tail-lights on the left hand side are about 5inch's indented into the car. Bumber is completely stuffed and also the left rear quater panel. Theres no structual damage, i drove it for another 30min to get home, and all i could notice was the steering, due to the right hand wheel being screwed.
I gotta go off to work now, but i shall get pics up 2night and a more detailed description of what happened. Just thought i'd share my agony with you all. Sad

So if anyones interested in a slightly(haha) damaged RA28 gimme a yell.

Thanks
Ben
  Send a private message to this user    
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Tue, 04 February 2003 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To bad Ben Crying or Very Sad
Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Tue, 04 February 2003 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! what a shame! i hope your gonna fix her!
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Tue, 04 February 2003 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will you guys stop crashing your old celica's, I'm getting really nervus. Confused

Ben that really sucks. My old man had a similar thing happen to his 62 val (had been fully restored 12 months earlier) except it was bent on 3 corners. They fixed her all up, good as new. It is amazing what a talented panel beater can do.

I hope you decide to get her fixed up, it is too nice a car to let go.

Glad to hear that you are OK, cars can be fixed/replaced. People can't.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Tue, 04 February 2003 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bad luck. Sad FWIW I know someone selling a perfect RA28 in Brisbane, straight and recently re-sprayed... if you're looking for a replacement, let me know.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Tue, 04 February 2003 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NOOOO!!! Sad Sad
Dudes... please be careful with your old celica's!!! Its becoming far too comon!! Crying or Very Sad Be careful please people, i dont want the next story to be from hospital please!

Im truly sorry to hear of your misfortune Ben - i too do understand the arse end of an RA28 is a bitch to control, so i can empathise. Truly it is a shame Sad
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Wed, 05 February 2003 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude. That sux. Sad

My condolences.
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Wed, 05 February 2003 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im also getting very worried, as GEOFF also crashed his in the wet the other day and did some considerable damage to a tree. Sorry to that ben, ive been there before.
JUZZO
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Wed, 05 February 2003 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude My heart goes out to ya. Your car was so sweet. I loved it.
I hope i didn't jinx it by going for a ride to see my wreck.
Fix it up ben. It is worth it. Your celica was way too nice to abandon it. It needs to be fixed.

Hey norbie. Could u give me info on that ra28 thanx. I am very interested
Brett.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Wed, 05 February 2003 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Helmann wrote on Wed, 05 February 2003 11:35

Hey norbie. Could u give me info on that ra28 thanx. I am very interested

It belongs to a dude at the Celica club... he's getting rid of it so he can "upgrade" to a Commodore. Rolling Eyes Like I said it's very straight, no evidence of rust, and it's just been resprayed the original sky blue so it looks pretty nice. Alloy rims of some description, not sure what size but they looked like 15's, and the interior looked great (wood-grain steering wheel and upgraded seats from memory). Engine is EFI 18R-GEU, trans is 5-speed. He even mentioned it has cruise control. The asking price was pretty high, I think somewhere around $7k? I can get more details if you're still interested.
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Wed, 05 February 2003 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LoL bet you wish you had stayed with your G/F last night!!
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Wed, 05 February 2003 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey man Much sympathy to you Sad thats bad luck. Me and 2 mates were in a crash sunday (early)morning and the driver received concussion, along with a freshly f*cked R31 skyline TI rolled onto its side and into a couple poles.

Cars can be replaced, but people cant. <- very wise statement and advice

Yes, ra28s are a slut once theyve started to get hang time unles your very confident. The wet is not good. Take care everyone
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Wed, 05 February 2003 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That fucken sux man, your celica was sweet. Mad

BTW, I got my car back yesterday, & the old dude coughed up the cash today. Yay! Very Happy
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Wed, 05 February 2003 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pics are here:

http://board.performanceforums.com/gallery/showgal lery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2634&thumb=1
Should get some more detailed ones up later....
It looks bad, but it hasn't got any major structual damage.

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Wed, 05 February 2003 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bigworm, that's great news!

sbyder, that looks pretty nasty. But could've been worse.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Wed, 05 February 2003 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now that a major ouch

Sbyder - i only ever saw your car once but even themn as it passed me i was in awe of the work ..

Just shows that the roads aroind brisbane + surrounds are fucked up majorly - theres potholes like that all along the wesern Fwy that nearly sent mine into the guardstrips many a time as well ..

I hope you get yours sorted soon - is the damage repairable - or totally and uuerly rooted ?

munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Wed, 05 February 2003 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The damage is definatly repairable but i think you would need the corner of another ra28. Are you getting insurance from it? i like your wheels btw what are they?
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Wed, 05 February 2003 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, the deal is....
I love my car, it is my dream machine and i have/had soo much planned for it, but, last night was just bullshit. I was being as careful as possible and it still f'd up on me. I have REALLY good tyres REALLY good suspension and a REALLY good set-up in my car, and it still is a piece of shit to handle. I love my car...but i just dont want to risk that ever happening again. Especially since i could have killed myself or others. I have driven MANY cars, and my type of car seems to have the worst stability in the wet, loose the ass, and its all over. I think i might work out how much its gunna cost for repairs(I have no insurance), and if it costs more than $1500(which is most likely), then i'll just sell it for parts, or as a whole. I really dont want to, but, i'd feel better if i just sold it and got a car that is more safe and reliable. I know all cars are as safe as you drive them, but RA28's just seem to love going sideways at the worst times. I dont wanna risk death for the sake of a dream.
So basically the car is up for sale, pending the cost of repairs, i may even fix it, then sell it. i dunno. Make an appropriate offer and its yours(subject to change with notice).

If i do sell it i'm after a good nice car to buy. TOYOTA a must!!! between 3-5K, looks good, goes good and preferably turby. 84,85 supra is my idea, but what else is there? I want it to be older than 84.

Thanks
Ben
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Wed, 05 February 2003 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to hear about your accident.
With regard to "what is there around?", I think this is the car for you. 1JZGTE or 7MGTE easy fit.
http://www.toymods.org.au/~rod/Other%20Peoples%20Pics%20for%20Forums/Bexi's%20MK%2011/White%20MK%2011.jpg

[Updated on: Wed, 05 February 2003 13:12]

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Wed, 05 February 2003 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joel,
thats great news mate. You must be stoked to be driving clkwrk again. Does it feel better than a crown???
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Wed, 05 February 2003 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben, by the sounds of things your going from one tail happy car to another tail happy car. Think rationally before you get rid of the celica. You are not going to get a high powered rear wheel drive car that isn't tail happy. Thats the nature of the beast. Especially not a turbo car. And if you think an early supra is any better, look at what happened to Paul (supra-gte).

I am planning a "special" boost controller for my 28 for that same reason, so I can have it come on hard and fast when I want and at the flick of a switch it will be docile (for when it is raining).

Just my 2 cents worth.

[TOYROTA]
Regular

July 2002
Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Wed, 05 February 2003 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm truly sorry to hear about your accident mate, i have seen this sort of thing happen all too often to my mates and know how hard it can be. Luckily it has never happened to myself, although i have come quite close, it was under the exact same curcumstances as your accident as well. Poor roads. I'll try to cheer you up by telling you my story so you can see your not the only one!
I was travelling down the Barton Highway at 90 clicks on what seemed to be a damp road (wasn't raining, must have just finished not long ago) and my car hit a pothole that the workers had decided to have-a-look-at-it-today-and-do-the-rest-tomorrow sorta job. Well needless to say, the little TA22 with extremely stiff (I'm talking you sit on the front 1/4 panel and it doesn't move kinda stiff!)suspension and 35-series rubber on 18's didn't like the hole and spat me off to the side on the way out of it. Unfortunately i was under hard braking just as i entered the puddle-hidden hole and when it spat me out the other side (still on the brakes) my two left wheels ended up on a big fat SLIPPERY-AS-HELL brand-new-painted white road line. Of course as only 2 wheels were on it the car instantaneously spun 180degrees and spat me off the other side of the road and down a (luckily) smooth embankment of grass and muddy slush, miraculously missing all the trees in the area. Three cars stopped when they saw the big spray of water, mud and wet grass flying everywhere, and when i spoke to the guy that was travelling directly behind me he said that when i hit the hole he could see about 3 inches of clear daylight under the wheels of my car! I was so lucky that the only damage was two front wheels (18inch Simmons FR's ARGGGG!!! Mad ) and a need 4 a serious wheel alignment. I was so pissed, i couldn't beleive how i had been dumb enough to drive into the puddle and everyone else had either driven around it or made it through unscathed. However the following day i was speaking to an off-duty officer and he informed me that 4 (!) other cars had also lost control hitting that particular hole, and one of them hit one of the trees down the embankment that i had narrowly missed!
Anyway, that's my story, hopefully this has just ligtened your day up a bit knowing that heaps of other people come across the same thing, it's just worse knowing that your car was one of a kind and not just another Commondoor or other run-of-the-mill vehicle. My sympathies go out to you mate.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Wed, 05 February 2003 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got a story like that too

I was in the old charger. It had heaps of grunt especially with the triple carbies on it. Usually it was really predictable when the tail wanted to come out, you could hold it real nice in a drift when you wanted Rolling Eyes

Anyhow I was coming around a corner that I had been around a hundred times before, possible a little faster than I should. Only this time someone had dropped a heap of gravel on the apex. The ass went out real quick, I was fighting for tractionwhen it reached the end of the gravel and bit. The car pointing at the apex of the corner bit hard and launched me into it. Up the imbankment and cleaded about 3 feet of air. All I needed was the dixi horns and a big pause with the narrator cutting in with a coment like "Bo and Luke are in big trouble now".

Anyway she landed on all fours and I managed to pull her up about 2 feet before a fence. Nothing but my pride broken Crying or Very Sad but happy to be alive. Even happier that I didn't injure the other people in the car.
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Thu, 06 February 2003 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn man thats rough.

Its always easier to get out of bad situations if you spend heaps of time rally bashing and drifting in old shit boxes, but I know from experience that sometimes theres just nothing you can do. Crying or Very Sad

A mate of mine has a rolled RA28 that he is going to cut the caved in roof off of and use as a burnout car. Its got a pretty good back end if you need bumper tail lights etc. Smile
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Thu, 06 February 2003 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys, how wide are your wheels. Your cars don't weigh that much and wide wheels in the wet means a lot of aquaplaning...

[TOYROTA], you should've hit the local Council up for the damange bill.
rdraginrolla
Regular

July 2002
Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Thu, 06 February 2003 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When i was looking at the pics of your car, i noticed the exchaust end is covered. I've noticed this on many cars recently.

Whats to go with this?

Is it for show or can you actually drive the car with it on?

Wa! Surprised

Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Thu, 06 February 2003 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That sucks man, you have my deepest condolences Sad It still looks a sweet car, a few hours at the panel beaters and it'd be all good.
RA23_Sean
Regular

May 2002

Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Mon, 10 February 2003 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's a Supertrapp muffler. You can fit and remove plates in them depending on how loud you want it to sound (or so I believe anyway).
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Mon, 10 February 2003 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude,

Sorry to hear it. Luckily I have not had an accident yet *touch wood* Sad

One question though.

When you say you tried to straighten up, did you use the steering wheel at all or did you keep it pointed in the direction you wanted to go? ie: around the corner.

Cheers,
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Tue, 18 February 2003 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for all the support peoples.
inertia: yes i did turn into the corner, im not completely stupid, i managed to point the front end away from the wall which it was heading. I may not be the best driver but i did my best.

Anyway. the car is gunna get fixed, then im selling it for approx. 6-7K so if anyones interested in a all fixed up car in the next month give me a yell.
Cheers
Ben

[Updated on: Tue, 18 February 2003 11:19]

FreaK
Regular

September 2002

Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Thu, 20 February 2003 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dood! sorry to hear this!
I always hate when some'one's toy gets hurt. Glad you came out ok tho!
I have a ad habit of pushing the limits, so I've been *real* close to what happenned to you.. many times.
Roundy round a few times, often at 140K+... saved it or left with minor ditching almost every time - giving my guardian angel a real workout!
My *question* is this;
HOW THE HELL?
With a wing like that on there, even at 90K you shoulda had like 300lbs force...???
Not set up?

Oh - and if you reaally are selling, I reccommend the 84GTS Celica - best overall handling car I've ever driven, and I have also driven *lots* heh
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Thu, 20 February 2003 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you're looking for handling, I suggest an 84 celica. Sure they're tail-happy in the wet (if you accelerate into/out of corners) but they're *really* easy to control once they are sliding, and in the dry they're nothing but oodles of fun.

by easy to control, I mean I drifted around a corner with another lane of turning traffic next to me (got some great looks for that)
If only they made gt-fours as early as you're after, apparently they're very sure-footed (never driven one though)
Dylo
Regular

May 2002

Re: Well....this morning at 12:45am....It happened Fri, 21 February 2003 01:38 Go to previous message
Spyder, im damn sorry to see that mate!

Twas one FINE '28, and i think u can get it back to its glory without too much trouble.

I actually have a spare set of tail lights (complete) aswell if u are interested. U'll just have to spray them in that colour u used before as they are orange now.

Anyway if u are interested, let me know, as im moving to Coffs Harbour very soon so i will bring them, and its not that far from there!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Corola 2 SR???
Next Topic:toymods... famous!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 17:02:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056638717651367 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.