Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Now THIS is a blower!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon14.gif  Now THIS is a blower! Wed, 05 February 2003 02:45 Go to next message
http://www.bobnorwood.com/Images/F-12%20308%20Beauty%20Against%20Rocks%20Lower%20Res.jpg
This overpowered brute was originally designed by Bob Norwood for NHRA drag racing. The car ran under the national class record with 7.0's at 170mph in the quarter mile until its gigantic Vortech-like centrifugal supercharger was outlawed by the NHRA. At this point the car ran a few exhibition drag races and then arrived at Bonneville in 1989 ready to take a massive ram at the world of top-speed racing.

Essentially, the car was a tube frame Ferrari 308 designed for Pro-Stock drag racing and fitted with funnycar-type composite body panels. The rear tires were massive slicks mounted on a narrowed Ford nine-inch rear axle - exactly like present-day Pro-stock drag machines. The transmission was a pressure-shifted Lenco unit with nine-inch gears. The front-mounted powerplant was an evil-looking thing surely smuggled into Texas directly from Hell you might guess ran on Plutonium waste or Di-lithium crystals or something much worse. Actually, the 308's engine ran on 120-octane super-premium race gasoline and was based on a Flat-12 Ferrari Boxer block fitted with 4-valve Testarossa heads, topped with a beautifully sculpted and truly massive air-water intercooler mounted directly on top of the block. The intercooler featured 12 super-high-flow electronic injectors spraying furiously into velocity stacks integral to the intercooler. The massive intercooler unit bolted directly to the heads and functioned as a combination intake plenum/intercooler/fuel rail/manifold unit.
http://www.bobnorwood.com/Images/F-12%20308%20Engine.jpg

The centrifugal blower - salvaged from a gigantic British locomotive engine that apparently no longer Thought It Could - was driven by a 1.5-inch shaft that traversed the length of the engine and was driven off the flywheel via a reversed Allison turbine helicopter gear-reduction unit originally designed to step down turbine velocities to something the main rotor could handle. The FAA required this type of gear reduction to be replaced after even a single emergency auto-rotation power-off landing, guaranteeing availability at fire-sale prices. The blower, looking like a hugely-overgrown Vortech blower sent back in time by The Machines to destroy all human life in 1989, had a five-inch impeller that was capable of gobbling air at the rate of something like 500 pounds per minute, a rate that could probably suck the air out of double-wide in less than 60 seconds!

The supercharged 12-cylinder Boxer engine, featuring a lightened flywheel and knife-edged crank, and could rev from the engine's 1200 RPM idle to the 9K redline in just over a tenth of a second, and had been certified on a Superflow 901 engine dyno to make 1400 horsepower on 120-octane gasoline at 60psi boost. The short-stroke 3.2-inch bore engine was upgraded with a billet Crower crankshaft, extra-long Crower rods, custom forged pistons, and was managed by a Haltech F3 EFI controller and a Firepower direct-fire 12-coil ignition. According to Norwood, each 24-valve head was carefully flowed and mildly ported for optimum forced breathing.

In 1989, the flat-12 308 arrived out west in time to make a few runs in Land Speed Record country with Greg Johnson at the wheel. However, before the car got a chance to break the 223 mph record for 5.0L and less blown modified sports cars (1400 horsepower should've made this look easy, assuming the car hadn't already entered a low earth orbit) the event was rained out.

"This may have been a good thing," allows Norwood.

[Updated on: Wed, 05 February 2003 05:20]

Send a private message to this user    
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Now THIS is a blower! Wed, 05 February 2003 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Muahhahahahaa look at the size of that TURBO!!!
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Now THIS is a blower! Wed, 05 February 2003 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holy crap!

Where can I get a kit to fit the 1JZ Wink
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Now THIS is a blower! Wed, 05 February 2003 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SPEEDCORE wrote on Wed, 05 February 2003 13:51

Muahhahahahaa look at the size of that TURBO!!!

Its not a turbo.
Its a centrifugal supercharger.
Its the same thing as the compressor side of a turbo driven directly by the engine.
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: Now THIS is a blower! Wed, 05 February 2003 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What is the power output????
What are they using it for???
Would that fit in a RA28???

Hmmmm mind blowing
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Now THIS is a blower! Wed, 05 February 2003 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh ok!! Cause if you look at the pic it looks like a MASSIVE Turbo compressor!! I must have gotten confused as it says that eventually it ran with turbo's!!
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Now THIS is a blower! Wed, 05 February 2003 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hang two, I'll post the entire article up. Smile
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon11.gif  Re: Now THIS is a blower! Wed, 05 February 2003 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats nothing, if you think thats mean, then you dont want me to pop the hood on my ta22. its a fire breathing 2t Evil or Very Mad
JUZZO
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Now THIS is a blower! Wed, 05 February 2003 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did someone say 60psi ...........................................
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................... Oops I'm drooling
CamZH
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Now THIS is a blower! Wed, 05 February 2003 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I saw a 1UZ-FE in a article in Wheels a few years back that was running at 50psi, and on some silly soft of fuel. Was estimated to make 1500kW !
It was in a car called the ground fighter...

http://www.bradbowling.com/archives/articles/groun dfighter.shtml

This is all i could find quickly!

CamZH
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Now THIS is a blower! Wed, 05 February 2003 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn, you beat me to that by 8 minutes...

The ground-fighter was actually powered by a 1UZ running 2 superchargers on methanol Shocked It was rated at 2,000HP

It's interesting to note that the bloke who built it, did a lot of research and looked around at a plethora of other engines (including small and big-block American iron), before settling on the 1UZ...probably because he didn't have to completely re-design it from scratch to get those kinds of numbers from it. (And, no, that isn't to say the engine was internally stock; far from it...it's just that there were some OEM parts - like the bottom end - which were good enough to be retained. Now that's tough! Evil or Very Mad

(Where's that bloke with the 302?)

CamZH
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Now THIS is a blower! Wed, 05 February 2003 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ROFLMAO!! re:302 Laughing

As for the guy choosing the 1UZ i think i remember reading that he figured Toyota had spent about a billion $$ making the 1UZ so it must be pretty good Smile

CamZH

[Updated on: Wed, 05 February 2003 09:37]

biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Now THIS is a blower! Wed, 05 February 2003 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Remember, it's not always how much money you spend, but how you spend it.

Toyota obviously put their $1 billion to good use. GM, on the other hand, spent approx. $1 billion designing the GEN3...and it still has push-rods!?!?? (That means, WTF?)

EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Now THIS is a blower! Wed, 05 February 2003 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks like it has 2 20v's Razz
riceboy
Regular

December 2002
Re: Now THIS is a blower! Thu, 06 February 2003 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK if anyone is crazy enough to do this sort of shit to their cars message me...i have 2 turbos and a supercharger that will push ALOT of air. Mind you the biggest problem will be producing enough exhaust flow to spin the turbos (and enough power to spin the supercharger) as they all come come of 12 litre GM V8s! But if you don't mind a "little" bit of lag then the setup should provide hours of fun! hehehe... a tad peaky for the turbos though.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Now THIS is a blower! Thu, 06 February 2003 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riceboy: Is the supercharger roots or centrifugal?
riceboy
Regular

December 2002
Re: Now THIS is a blower! Fri, 07 February 2003 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
big roots type. I would love to fit it to my 4AGE Sprinter right out the middle of the bonnet MAD MAX style! hehehe...
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: Now THIS is a blower! Sat, 08 February 2003 13:39 Go to previous message
"could rev from the engine's 1200 RPM idle to the 9K redline in just over a tenth of a second", all most died when i saw that. and check out the size of the throttle body, it in the size range of rice's exhausts tips. Very Happy

Nezza Cool
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:supercharger 2tgeu
Next Topic:What Comes in a HalfCut
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 00:40:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061590671539307 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.