Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
4agte spark plugs Thu, 01 September 2005 14:47 Go to next message
Hey all. I swear i remember reading a thread about people's recommendations for 4agte spark plugs but after an hour of searching, i still can't find it! Sad

Anyways, i need to get some plugs for the engine soonish and was curious to know what other people are running. Should i just get genuine Toyota iridiums and gap it to 0.8mm or is it worth getting platinums? I've also read about "colder plugs". What exactly does this mean?

The engine will most probably be running wasted spark with dual coils (haven't fully decided on the ignition system yet). Thanks in advance.

Eddie.
  Send a private message to this user    
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 4agte spark plugs Thu, 01 September 2005 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ya whats the deal with hot/cold plugs??

what happens if u run colder plugs in ur car or vice versa??
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4agte spark plugs Thu, 01 September 2005 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A spark plug's heat range has no relationship to the actual voltage transferred though the spark plug. Rather, the heat range is a measure of the spark plug's ability to remove heat from the combustion chamber. The heat range measurement is determined by several factors; the length of the ceramic center insulator nose and its' ability to absorb and transfer combustion heat, the material composition of the insulator and center electrode material.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/images/chartheatratingflowpath.gif

The insulator nose length is the distance from the firing tip of the insulator to the point where insulator meets the metal shell. Since the insulator tip is the hottest part of the spark plug, the tip temperature is a primary factor in pre-ignition and fouling. Whether the spark plugs are fitted in a lawnmower, boat, or a race car, the spark plug tip temperature must remain between 500C-850°C. If the tip temperature is lower than 500°C, the insulator area surrounding the center electrode will not be hot enough to burn off carbon and combustion chamber deposits. These accumulated deposits can result in spark plug fouling leading to misfire. If the tip temperature is higher than 850°C the spark plug will overheat which may cause the ceramic around the center electrode to blister and the electrodes to melt. This may lead to pre-ignition/detonation and expensive engine damage. In identical spark plug types, the difference from one heat range to the next is the ability to remove approximately 70°C to 100°C from the combustion chamber. A projected style spark plug firing tip temperature is increased by 10°C to 20°C.

The firing end appearance also depends on the spark plug tip temperature. There are three basic diagnostic criteria for spark plugs: good, fouled and overheated. The borderline between the fouling and optimum operating regions (500&def;C) is called the spark plug self-cleaning temperature. The temperature at this point is where the accumulated carbon and combustion deposits are burned off.

Bearing in mind that the insulator nose length is a determining factor in the heat range of a spark plug, the longer the insulator nose, the less heat is absorbed, and the further the heat must travel into the cylinder head water journals. This means the plug has a higher internal temperature, and is said to be a hot plug. A hot spark plug maintains a higher internal operating temperature to burn off oil and carbon deposits, and has no relationship to spark quality or intensity.

Conversely, a cold spark plug has a shorter insulator nose and absorbs more combustion chamber heat. This heat travels a shorter distance, and allows the plug to operate at a lower internal temperature. A colder heat range is necessary when the engine is modified for performance, subjected to heavy loads, or is run at high rpms for a significant period of time. The colder type removes heat more quickly, and will reduce the chance of pre-ignition/detonation and melting or damage to the firing end. (Engine temperature can affect the spark plug's operating temperature, but not the spark plugs heat range).

Stolen from NGK http://www.ngksparkplugs.com
there is some more tech info there all good reading
Ben.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agte spark plugs Fri, 02 September 2005 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I run toyota (actually made by Nippon Denso) platinum plugs in mine, PK20R-8, already come gapped to 0.8mm. They have great resistance to fouling (small electrode) and despite being equivalent to a "6" heat range plug, have presented no problems on my car with higher boost, without the problems of cold running with a 7 or 8 plug.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: 4agte spark plugs Fri, 02 September 2005 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ngk iridiums for the win

just go to BEL man.. thell sort ya out.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 4agte spark plugs Sat, 03 September 2005 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Sat, 03 September 2005 01:45

ngk iridiums for the win

just go to BEL man.. thell sort ya out.

i bought sam's blue 86 and when i got back to melbourne the spark plugs were burnt (brown stains) on the top white park connecting to the thread Embarassed
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agte spark plugs Sat, 03 September 2005 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havnt tried the iridium plugs yet, the NGK BCPR6EY v-grooves are doing fine for me. Smile
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agte spark plugs Sat, 03 September 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

bought sam's blue 86 and when i got back to melbourne the spark plugs were burnt (brown stains) on the top white park connecting to the thread

Huh? What do you mean? Brown discoloration of the ceramic is not uncommon, I thought it was quite normal really. Confused
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4agte spark plugs Sat, 03 September 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only plugs I have found any good are Denso K20PRU , I fit these plugs in near every car I tune (3SGTE 30 lbs boost , SR20 23lbs , 4agte 20 lbs , 1jzgte 20 lbs ect , Iridium and platinum are ok for non performance low boost or N/A motors but will fail under higher pressures .

Trevor
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agte spark plugs Sat, 03 September 2005 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TA22-3SGTE wrote on Sat, 03 September 2005 20:40

platinum are ok for non performance low boost or N/A motors but will fail under higher pressures .

Trevor

i have found this with platinum plugs too, have never had the chance to try the iridiums because the v-grooves seem to work well for me.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4agte spark plugs Sat, 03 September 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BCPR6EY-8 (0.8mm gap)

that's what SAS recommended for my 4agte (the last Y is not essential, that's for a Y-groove type of tip)
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: 4agte spark plugs Sat, 03 September 2005 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TE72_Turbo wrote on Sat, 03 September 2005 18:46

Quote:

bought sam's blue 86 and when i got back to melbourne the spark plugs were burnt (brown stains) on the top white park connecting to the thread

Huh? What do you mean? Brown discoloration of the ceramic is not uncommon, I thought it was quite normal really. Confused

hurr hurr hurr

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agte spark plugs Sat, 03 September 2005 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NGK V-grooves. Wink
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4agte spark plugs Sun, 04 September 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Sat, 03 September 2005 21:56

BCPR6EY-8 (0.8mm gap)

That part number matches what you want from NGK.
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4agte spark plugs Sun, 04 September 2005 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for all the replies and links dudes. I'll have a chat to a few workshops to see what they'll recommend as well.

Eddie.
ROLLA GTi
Regular

September 2003
Re: 4agte spark plugs Sun, 04 September 2005 06:46 Go to previous message
I use BCPR7ES (NGK 0.8mm Gap) They cost me $3 each and i havent had a problem with fouling Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Targa Top Ta22 POSSIBLE???????
Next Topic:water pump
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 22:46:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054309368133545 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.