Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Is my radio broken?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
warby12
Newcomer

September 2005
Is my radio broken? Fri, 02 September 2005 03:33 Go to next message
Hi, I've just a 1995 Camry CSI from an elderly guy who can't drive any more. The radio shows nothing on the screen but at night it lights up so I know it is at least getting power. Now, if there is nothing on the screen could it be locked? How can I che ck before I take it to a garage. Maybe it's just stuffed.

Thanks for any help. Laughing
  Send a private message to this user    
pomey
Regular

May 2005
Re: Is my radio broken? Fri, 02 September 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello,

When u say it lights up at night, do u mean when u turn ur lights on? From memory an old stereo of mine had a connection to the headlights so that when they were on it would light up.

Now i am unsure if power needed to be at the deck so i may be on the wrong path. Try that first!

Next step is to check all fuses (inc fuse on rear of the deck) and replace as necessary.

If they're fine then buy urself $15 multimeter from dicksmiths and start fault finding. Start with ensuring there is a supply to the deck and also an earth. Also check that speaker terminals aren't shorting out, this can cause problems.

If all else fails, i recommend u start saving for a new deck. Nothin worse than a cruz with no music, unless ur on a pocket rocket!

Good luck mate

Cheers, Pomey!
GTtwin
Regular

August 2005
Re: Is my radio broken? Fri, 02 September 2005 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like it needs the security code. Knowing most old dudes hopefully it will be with the original owners manual. Those Fujitsu Ten decks have some bizzare button pressing sequence to enter the code, which I can't recall off the top of my head.
If you dont have the code or the owners manual then a Toyota dealer is your only option.
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Is my radio broken? Fri, 02 September 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rip it out and put in a new Pioneer CD/Radio Head Unit from Autobarn

http://www.autobarn.com.au

There's 1 at Maroochydore and Nambour.

They have a 45watt x 4 CD tuner for $189 including 2 x 6" 160 watt two way Pioneer Speakers

or

as above with MP3 + WMA for and 2 x 6" three way 220 watt Pioneer Speakers for $279.

Very easy to put in.
GTtwin
Regular

August 2005
Re: Is my radio broken? Fri, 02 September 2005 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah nice plug there for Autobarn. Considering your so "informative", why don't you enlighten all of us to where the f#@k a the set of 6" speakers in this $189 package are going to go in a 95 Camry?
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Is my radio broken? Fri, 02 September 2005 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GTtwin wrote on Fri, 02 September 2005 18:24

Considering your so "informative", why don't you enlighten all of us to where the f#@k a the set of 6" speakers in this $189 package are going to go in a 95 Camry?

settle down mr.sarcasm

i dont work for autobarn or pioneer.

the speakers would fit on the parcel shelf

who wants an old radio/cassette these days ?
GTtwin
Regular

August 2005
Re: Is my radio broken? Sat, 03 September 2005 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4" Front. 6x9" Rear.
Enough Said!
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Is my radio broken? Sat, 03 September 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
6" speakers would still fit in a 6x9 hole wouldnt they?? just a couple fo extra screw holes
warby12
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: Is my radio broken? Sat, 03 September 2005 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HI guys, thanks for that, I'll go down now and check the fuses, the side mirrors don't work either so maybe ther are a few problem in there, I'll have another look in the manual for the code and thanks for the tips about buying a new one. Cheers guys. (it's sure boring driving to work) Laughing
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: Is my radio broken? Sun, 04 September 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the fuses are alright then the stereo will have to come out anyway. If the stereo needs to go to a tech to be repaired the absolute min charge will probably be $100. With the prices of new cd players these days you may as well get one like FWD said. You can even buy adapter plugs for toyota to pioneer stereos so even a retarded monkey could install one.
I can't think off hand if a 95 camry has the front speakers in the doors or not, you can enlighten me? But if they are in the doors and they are 4", putting 6" in the same spot will be a piece of piss.
check the fuse labelled "dome", it may be under the bonnet if not in te in-cabin fuse box.
Rob.C
Regular

July 2005
Re: Is my radio broken? Sun, 04 September 2005 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now i don't know about your head unit, but my camry is a 96, but it has the pioneer set up in it. Your head unit from memory is the same as commodores etc. If there is nothing on the screen, i think the player is shot. Usually it'll come up looking like this ---- then your supposed to throw in the code and follow the directions in the manual. I had the exact same problem, but mine being pioneer is different, i took it to Toyota, cost me $30 for them to recode it, if they can't do it. Ditch it. Get a new head unit.

Oh and for the record, 6" speakers fit in the front doors of camry's, they will fit in 6x9 holes, but won't work to their best, due to the larger cut out.
warby12
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: Is my radio broken? Mon, 05 September 2005 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess the old advice "check the fuse first" is still good. It was the fuse. I was fooled by it being on the "cigarette lighter" fuse. Now, not only does the radio work but the side mirrors too, this is going to make driving to and from work much more fun. All I need now is a new hub cap and Im looking good. Maybe I'll sell it and get that Hilux I've always wanted. Laughing Thanks guys.
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: Is my radio broken? Mon, 05 September 2005 22:27 Go to previous message
good stuff. if constant power ever blows to the head unit then you will need the code to get it going again.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Extrude Honing
Next Topic:rattling.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 23:48:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062730312347412 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.