Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » not starting 1st time now...click, click,click...4age....?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
not starting 1st time now...click, click,click...4age....? Sun, 04 September 2005 02:28 Go to next message
As my sprinter has been off the road since the begining of the year.. its been sitting in the garage, doing sweet FA.... I start it up every couple of weeks..... but now....
its not starting first time, when I try to kick it over... instead it makes a clicking sound like my battery is dead... it does this a few times and then finally kicks....?
wtf is it..
The battery was charged just recently and that is all sweet, as its reading full charged on my volt meter....
so Is it the starter motor being fucked, or what....
any help would be appreciated....
thanks in advance....
cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: not starting 1st time now...click, click,click...4age....? Sun, 04 September 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just wanna make a slight correction.... the noise it makes is like one click... but it wont kick over untill you do this a few times...

although, I was just messin about with it a minute ago.. and had it kicking over on the first attempt, a few times....
but still. would like to know the cause of this..
kewp
Regular

March 2004
Re: not starting 1st time now...click, click,click...4age....? Sun, 04 September 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can't really tell if a battery is dead with a voltmeter, even a flat battery can have 12V when there is no load on it.
DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: not starting 1st time now...click, click,click...4age....? Sun, 04 September 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm.......true, well it was only charged recently...2 weeks prob... the volt meter is a little box that shows the voltage level when you press a button on it... it sits next to the battery in the bay...(it has 5 bars - --when the car isnt running it shows 3 bars... thats normal...always been like that, when its running it shows 5 bars)
The battery may need a top up though... never done this before, do you just remove all the caps and fill with distilled water to the top or what..? is there a level the water is meant to be at...?

[Updated on: Sun, 04 September 2005 02:51]

gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: not starting 1st time now...click, click,click...4age....? Sun, 04 September 2005 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bad ground!

check ur grounding cables on the battery
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: not starting 1st time now...click, click,click...4age....? Sun, 04 September 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
battery is on its way mate

mine did the same thing when it was real cold
« RČ» Blinky
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: not starting 1st time now...click, click,click...4age....? Sun, 04 September 2005 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It could also be the contacts in your starter solenoid. Or the positive cable on your solenoid is getting a bad connection.

[Updated on: Sun, 04 September 2005 06:50]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: not starting 1st time now...click, click,click...4age....? Sun, 04 September 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dead starter solenoid
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: not starting 1st time now...click, click,click...4age....? Sun, 04 September 2005 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try jump starting it.
If that fails it's likely the starter, possibly the ignition switch.

[Updated on: Sun, 04 September 2005 07:50]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: not starting 1st time now...click, click,click...4age....? Sun, 04 September 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andead starter solenoid will not benefit from trying to nuke the think with a jump start. clean the solenoid, or get a new starter... simple
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: not starting 1st time now...click, click,click...4age....? Sun, 04 September 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It rules out the possibility of it being a bad battery at least...
DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: not starting 1st time now...click, click,click...4age....? Sun, 04 September 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm, strange...... the battery is pretty much new... although its been sitting there doing nothing except starting the car everynow and then.... plus its been charged only 2 weeks ago..max

I can start it... so dont need to jump start it....
with things like bad grounds/connections ect... I find it weird.. as the car has just been sitting pretty much... and this problem has only just started..........so not sure of how things could just go shit house....

now..... Rolling Eyes

It seems to be ok now... started it up first time everytime out of 3-4 attempts this arvo....???
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: not starting 1st time now...click, click,click...4age....? Sun, 04 September 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*bangs head on desk*
DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: not starting 1st time now...click, click,click...4age....? Sun, 04 September 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yeh... whats the process when topping up the battery... is it as straight forward as removing all the caps and filling to the top with distilled water...?

cheers for all the replies as well....
most appreciated..

[Updated on: Sun, 04 September 2005 08:16]

WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: not starting 1st time now...click, click,click...4age....? Sun, 04 September 2005 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Sun, 04 September 2005 16:49

dead starter solenoid

Lachie
Regular

January 2004
Re: not starting 1st time now...click, click,click...4age....? Mon, 05 September 2005 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRFT - 86 wrote on Sun, 04 September 2005 17:46

oh yeh... whats the process when topping up the battery... is it as straight forward as removing all the caps and filling to the top with distilled water...?

cheers for all the replies as well....
most appreciated..

Nah, you don't fill it to the top, there's a little bit (sometimes two on some batteries) of plastic that go down in to the fluid. Shine a torch down there if you cn't see and when the water touches the bottom it full

But I'd be listening to ed_ma61 on this one...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: not starting 1st time now...click, click,click...4age....? Mon, 05 September 2005 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Sun, 04 September 2005 14:49

dead starter solenoid

Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: not starting 1st time now...click, click,click...4age....? Mon, 05 September 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 05 September 2005 10:12

ed_ma61 wrote on Sun, 04 September 2005 14:49

dead starter solenoid

I'm not sure if you can take 4A starters apart, but if you can then pull it apart and clean all contacts and maybe sand/file the big solenoid contacts. It worked for me on a ZJ Fairlane, so it may also on a 4A starter.
DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: not starting 1st time now...click, click,click...4age....? Mon, 05 September 2005 04:03 Go to previous message
cheers all............. so even though it seems to be ok now, should I be concerned about the starter solenoid?
I had a brief look in the workshop manual to sus the starter components ect.... couldnt/didnt see where the solenoid is...? I will look a little more thoughly though later.... kinda noobed by this shit..
thanks again...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE82 V AE86
Next Topic:Digital Dash on Ra65 22re
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 04:34:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073959827423096 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.