Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
JZA70 Supras Fri, 02 September 2005 03:42 Go to next message
Hey Guys, sorry if this has been covered before, but what are the main weakness' of the JZA70? Do they all come with LSD? What is the handling like? What power will break the R154??

Cheers!
  Send a private message to this user    
poombah
Regular

August 2002

Re: JZA70 Supras Fri, 02 September 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my stock one has broken my r154 twice.

had it fully rebuilt (bearings seals and common failing syncros)

first time was the 1st gear thrust washer disintegrated

second time has wild gridning knock noise when its out of gear

had it stripped and reassembled guy cant fault it but it still makes noise

first time was using redline MTL, second time was Shell synethic. Got shockproof in it atm ($140 ouch). still drives fine just has wild grindy noise out of gear. inspected clutch its fine, put new spigot bearing (pull bearing was fine) still makes it... god knows

- Russ
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: JZA70 Supras Fri, 02 September 2005 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn, thats not good news at all Russ. What power you running?
AE82TwinCam
Regular

May 2002
Re: JZA70 Supras Fri, 02 September 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KOFFEE-BLACK wrote on Fri, 02 September 2005 13:42

Hey Guys, sorry if this has been covered before, but what are the main weakness' of the JZA70? Do they all come with LSD? What is the handling like? What power will break the R154??

Cheers!

The R154's in general are actually quite strong. I can't give you a "break" figure, but I'd say, judging from the size of it, and Toyota's tendancy to over engineer, I'd say it would be pretty high. Synchro's are definately one of their weaker points, I also think it is the thrust (???) bearing as which can also be an issue.

That being said, I'm putting out 193rwkw, and although my 154 is notchy (like every other one I've ever driven), it hasn't deteriorated in the time I've had the car. Maybe I don't drive the car hard enough Razz

I know on the Aerotops, LSD was an option. But I think on the hardtops LSD was standard (not 100% on this). Standard handling isn't terrible, although I have read a few people complaining that it can be a bit soft at times. Either way, the suspension is going to be a bit weathered if you're looking at those ones from prestige.

That being said, I love my JZA70, it goes fast (enough), sounds so sweet, has a nice and comfortable interior, and once my coilovers are in, will handle better and I'll love it even more! Smile

Hope this helps

Cheers

[Updated on: Fri, 02 September 2005 05:15]

poombah
Regular

August 2002

Re: JZA70 Supras Fri, 02 September 2005 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stock except for exhaust and pod filter and linked wastegates (runs 14-15psi).
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: JZA70 Supras Fri, 02 September 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
poombah wrote on Fri, 02 September 2005 15:14

stock except for exhaust and pod filter and linked wastegates (runs 14-15psi).

Russ, do you use your clutch at all man??
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: JZA70 Supras Fri, 02 September 2005 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here are the specs for the jza70's:

http://www.alljapanesecars.com/viewcr.php3?mk=Toyo ta&md=Supra&yr=1990&mc=JZA70
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: JZA70 Supras Fri, 02 September 2005 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for that smt.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: JZA70 Supras Fri, 02 September 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://motortraders.net.au/imports/spec.asp?id=126 4, this site has pretty much the same info but figures in metric
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: JZA70 Supras Fri, 02 September 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smt_007 wrote on Fri, 02 September 2005 15:42

Here are the specs for the jza70's:

http://www.alljapanesecars.com/viewcr.php3?mk=Toyo ta&md=Supra&yr=1990&mc=JZA70

\

man that site rocks!

check out the info on the 2002 model crown

1JZ-FSE? is that direct injection petrol?

http://www.alljapanesecars.com/viewcr.php3?mk=Toyo ta&md=Crown&yr=2002&mc=JZS171
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: JZA70 Supras Fri, 02 September 2005 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah S is direct injection petrol
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: JZA70 Supras Fri, 02 September 2005 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweeeet.

KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: JZA70 Supras Fri, 02 September 2005 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So only the R has LSD fellas?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: JZA70 Supras Fri, 02 September 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KOFFEE-BLACK wrote on Fri, 02 September 2005 17:07

according to the website i posted the link to they all have LSD's Very Happy
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: JZA70 Supras Fri, 02 September 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KOFFEE-BLACK wrote on Fri, 02 September 2005 17:07

Limited also has the lsd standard, you have a good chance of having the lsd, because it has a sunroof, and i dought they would put a big single turbo, wastegate etc etc into a non lsd supra. Try findout by asking Wink .
Endless
Regular

October 2004
Re: JZA70 Supras Fri, 02 September 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the limited and R models came with torsen LSD standard

check this link for more info
http://www.toyota-supra.info/models/1991_8/
poombah
Regular

August 2002

Re: JZA70 Supras Fri, 02 September 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
err yes of course i use my clutch...?
mz21_shiznac
Regular

January 2005
Re: JZA70 Supras Fri, 02 September 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My old JZA70 R was a tops car, if I was going to go for a JZA70 again I would definately go for a 'R' model, for the extrea things (LSD, recaro's, bilstein suspension etc) it is much better.
poombah
Regular

August 2002

Re: JZA70 Supras Fri, 02 September 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for cars of this size and weight you need AT LEAST some angry springs and swaybar kit and a rear strut brace... recommend coilovers and swaybars at a minimum.

ive got front/rear cusco braces, front/rear whiteline swaybars, tein HR's with some really angry springs, JIC adjustable wishbones and its not too bad... cos its a targa model theres still a bit of flex in it.

Suprasport.com have some nifty rear cross brace for hte rear hatch to strengthen that.

I have a Safety21 6 point cage that i havent put in which would strengthen it more but it doesnt fit targa model without modification Sad

- Russ

Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: JZA70 Supras Fri, 02 September 2005 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wonder if you could get a bar welded/bolted in from the top of the windscreen to behind the aero? This is something I've allways pondered with the *A70 and JZA80. This would essentialy make it a targa top, and hopefully reduce some of the chassis twist. For regulations purposes you'd probably have to have it padded.

Anyone know if this would significantly reduce twist? Has anyone tried it?

I guess I should make my own thread actualy. Perhaps later. Very Happy
AE82TwinCam
Regular

May 2002
Re: JZA70 Supras Sat, 03 September 2005 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Sat, 03 September 2005 00:34

I wonder if you could get a bar welded/bolted in from the top of the windscreen to behind the aero? This is something I've allways pondered with the *A70 and JZA80. This would essentialy make it a targa top, and hopefully reduce some of the chassis twist. For regulations purposes you'd probably have to have it padded.

Anyone know if this would significantly reduce twist? Has anyone tried it?

I guess I should make my own thread actualy. Perhaps later. Very Happy

I've recently been told that those kind of braces do exist. A few US guys use them. Would definately be good to see some pics.

KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: JZA70 Supras Sat, 03 September 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys, Im looking at buying this, but prestige dont have much info on it, i can tell its not an "R" as it has no recars (but has bilsteins) but is it a GT? There is no badge, and from what I can see, there is no ABS either. Im hoping it has LSD too.

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/au/stock/img/7620.jpg

[Updated on: Sat, 03 September 2005 03:55]

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: JZA70 Supras Sat, 03 September 2005 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bro how many JZA70's are u buying? theres like 50 of them

just choose the 1st on in the pic Laughing
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: JZA70 Supras Sat, 03 September 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
huh?? that is 1 car man haha
Rossco
Regular

June 2002

Re: JZA70 Supras Sat, 03 September 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would suggest u talk to a few people that have imported though that company, before u lay down any money

rOss
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: JZA70 Supras Sat, 03 September 2005 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That one has LSD.
poombah
Regular

August 2002

Re: JZA70 Supras Sat, 03 September 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a set of bars i got from suprasport.com, they bolt in when you remove the roof to keep it rigid.
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: JZA70 Supras Sun, 04 September 2005 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rossco wrote on Sat, 03 September 2005 14:30

i would suggest u talk to a few people that have imported though that company, before u lay down any money

rOss

Hey, thanks for that. I did do a bit of research, they seem good, but seem to be a bit more exp, if i go and do it from the smaller guys. Thing is, this car is on prestige's site, do I HAVE to go through prestige?
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: JZA70 Supras Sun, 04 September 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Sat, 03 September 2005 16:33

That one has LSD.

Skip, how the fark do you know? You cant even see the Diff!
Mofo III
Regular

March 2004

Re: JZA70 Supras Sun, 04 September 2005 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.toyota-supra.info/models/1991_8/ - this site owns the other 2.

jza70 flavours...

2.5GT Twin Turbo
2.5GT Twin Turbo Aero Top
2.5GT Twin Turbo Limited
2.5GT Twin Turbo Limited Aero Top
2.5GT Twin Turbo R

the last 3 models come STANDARD with torsen LSD.
the first 2 models are OPTIONAL.

the supra your looking at buying is the first model (i.d plate is clearly visible in those pics and you can reference the chassis code on that website i posted. therefore it is unknown wether it is equipped with the torsen or not, but in all seriousness who would set the car up like that w/o a LSD???
chances are it has the LSD.
its also got the optional sunroof.

as for common faults... they're not that much different to any other car with its faults... that being said people have problems with...

power steering pump and rack
water pump
harmonic balancer
valve stem seals
smokey/fragile turbos
water leaks in rear end
notchy R154 (good for more HP than most people have)
air leaks window seals
leaky aerotop
heater system failing

cant think of anything else atm im sure there is a lot more.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: JZA70 Supras Sun, 04 September 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KOFFEE-BLACK wrote on Sun, 04 September 2005 12:32

Thing is, this car is on prestige's site, do I HAVE to go through prestige?

No.

John, Importbitz, do it.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: JZA70 Supras Sun, 04 September 2005 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
poombah wrote on Sat, 03 September 2005 18:45

i have a set of bars i got from suprasport.com, they bolt in when you remove the roof to keep it rigid.

Can you keep them in while the roof is on? Or do you have to bolt them up after you take the roof off?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: JZA70 Supras Sun, 04 September 2005 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats a great car im shure its never be thrashed in its life! lucky as A70 driveline parts are so cheap!

Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: JZA70 Supras Sun, 04 September 2005 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The build plate says that it is Not an LSD standard, but as said previously who would set a car up like that and not find an LSD centre...

Standard ratio is 4.1 (according to build plate)

Tis the "povo pack" JZA70 built up (read lighter than the GT Limited) but without ABS and the Luxury electrics (?)

There has been extensive work to the interior as that is not the standard location of the A/C controls (but a nice place to put it.)
Mofo III
Regular

March 2004

Re: JZA70 Supras Sun, 04 September 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
torsen lsd = G299
open wheel = G294

is that right?, how did you decipher the build plate?

climate controls have been shifter over to accomodate the 3 gauges, ive seen this done many times before, typical jap mod on these cars.

are the seats still electric?
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: JZA70 Supras Sun, 04 September 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Search for "Ratio Availability" there is a list of what the numbers mean, the firat letter is the size the next 2 numbers a the ratio the lat is the number of pinions and weather or not it is LSD. I'm still unsure what the last "9" denotes however.

The climate controls relocation wouldn't be a hard job but I like the option of putting guages in the standard loaction rather that hanging them from the pillars etc. Might look at this further..
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: JZA70 Supras Mon, 05 September 2005 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im not sure if they are electric, but thanks for the info guys. So basically, its the bottom of t he range, no LSD, but more likley to have one due to the mods.

Cheers
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: JZA70 Supras Mon, 05 September 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have to say that interior is damn clean, for a jap car of that age.
Endless
Regular

October 2004
Re: JZA70 Supras Wed, 07 September 2005 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can see from the pics that this one does have electric seats..
As mentioned above , i can't see why a car with this level of modification wouldn't be fitted with an lsd of some kind.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: JZA70 Supras Wed, 07 September 2005 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my gt limited which came with a turbo 7m came with an open diff Confused

mz21_shiznac, whats it like riding on those bilsteins the ones those special JZA70's came out with? pretty good? i just ordered a set. Goodbye boat handeling, hello broken ass ?
Mofo III
Regular

March 2004

Re: JZA70 Supras Wed, 07 September 2005 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive put this together after the previous questions...
may contain errors Laughing

JZA70 DIFF INFORMATION

G = SERIES
29 = 4.10
31 = 3.91
4 = OPEN
9 = TORSEN

G299 = M/T TORSEN (4.10) BLMVZ, BJMVZ, BLMQZ, BLMZZ, BJMZZ.
G294 = M/T OPEN (4.10) BLMVZ, BJMVZ,
G319 = A/T TORSEN (3.91) BLPVZ, BJPVZ, BLPQZ, BLPZZ, BJPZZ.
G314 = A/T OPEN (3.91) BLPVZ, BJPVZ,

TORSEN STANDARD ON [R] / LIMITED / LIMITED AEROTOP
TORSEN / OPEN OPTIONAL ON TT / AEROTOP

TT = BASE MODEL

diff and chassis codes from build plates can be referenced on the following pages.

http://www.toysport.com/Technical%20Information/To yota%20Differentials%20Identifications.htm

http://www.toyota-supra.info/models/1991_8/

[Updated on: Wed, 07 September 2005 15:33]

Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: JZA70 Supras Mon, 12 September 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gxx4 would usually indicate a 4 pinion mechanical LSD 8" diff, this is why I said it was LSD.

You guys are saying this is different for JZA70 supra Confused so im wrong then arent I Smile
Mofo III
Regular

March 2004

Re: JZA70 Supras Mon, 12 September 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ur half right.

4th DIGIT
2 2 pinion
3 2 pinion LSD
4 4 pinion
5 4 pinion LSD
6 ?
7 ?
8 ?
9 torsen LSD

[Updated on: Mon, 12 September 2005 15:52]

Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: JZA70 Supras Mon, 12 September 2005 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are dead right, im not even half right, don't know what I was thinking, my car has G144 Embarassed
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: JZA70 Supras Mon, 12 September 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so, from factory, after all this debation, the car is not an LSD model?
Mofo III
Regular

March 2004

Re: JZA70 Supras Mon, 12 September 2005 15:49 Go to previous message
correct.

but sif it doesn't have a lsd in there.

importbits have 2x jza70 torsens for sale, 1x a/t (3.9) & 1x m/t (4.1).
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:supra 6spd vs IS200 6spd
Next Topic:ae86 bodykit suppliers in Aust...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:26:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0086128711700439 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.