Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 3T-GTE rebuild, whats cost/availability like?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
black72ta22
Occasional Poster

June 2005
3T-GTE rebuild, whats cost/availability like? Sun, 04 September 2005 13:48 Go to next message
Hi,
Im considering buying a stock 3TGTE that has never been run in australia. I want to strip it down to check its internals, then get the efi/turbo working.

I understand these engines are rare. Are the internal engine parts readily available?

The efi loom is severed. Can you give a ballpark price whats its gonna cost to get running, and in my car? I can do all of the mechanical work myself, but not the engineering (honing etc). I expect to pay for piston/rings, bearings, re-bour, efi loom and fitting, turbo overhaul/replacement, tuning.
Thanks,Ben.
  Send a private message to this user    
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: 3T-GTE rebuild, whats cost/availability like? Sun, 04 September 2005 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well where are you getting this 3t-gteu?

is it in working condition?
are you gonna strip it down and completly rebuild it?
you getting forged pistions?
is the turbo screwed?

the engines aren't that rare if you know where to look, there a quite abit of people on here with 3t-gteu's i would say 25+

parts are avalible depending on what you want and how long you want to wait.

for a complete rebuild expect at least 1k
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: 3T-GTE rebuild, whats cost/availability like? Mon, 05 September 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jackel is right. These engines are rare compared to 4age's but not that rare. As far as rebuilding them goes, it's the same for any motor, if it's hammered and a rebuild is the go then buy the best parts you can get. I think the most you will have to worry about is pistons. Everything else inside the 3tgteu is pretty solid, they have a very strong bottom end but the pistons seem to be the weak point. Another criticism is that there is a lack of aftermarket cam wheels and funky cams for them (eg no adjustment of cam).

"So what?" I says, 3tgteu's make lot's of power without needing to go there. Depends what you want to rebuild it for, street strip or circuit racing. Each has a different spec.

You don't really need to strip it down if you want to test the motor. Standard compression test can be done with the motor in a front cut or in the car without ECU attached. If it turns over without making nasty noises (turn over by hand first but first squirt a little oil down the plug holes to be on the safe side) then go from there.

See Jackel post as a guideline. Sounds like you need some more info on the motor. 2 cents worth of advice, look around in Australia before buying from overseas. There are 3TGTEU's around that are running and can be looked at for decent prices. none around at the moment but they do come up.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 September 2005 08:51]

black72ta22
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: 3T-GTE rebuild, whats cost/availability like? Mon, 05 September 2005 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The seller has told me that this engine is still on the pallete that it come over on from japan. The intention was to get it running, but he never touched it. Now selling it after many years.

I am weary that the engine may have been sitting for years, unstarted, therefore likely to have internal damage like rusty boars, or siezed altogether. I know that the flywheel and pulleys have rusted. This is why I plan on stripping it down just to check its insides. Is this overkill? Will a compression test verify the bearings etc are all good?

I am unsure about forged pistons at this stage, but if pistons are required I will consider getting good ones.
I dont know about the turbo either. I really dont know whats involved with turbos. It is likely that I will get the stock one fired up first, that is if its not screwed. But after feeding on your thoughts, I may just get aftermarket turbo straight away.
black72ta22
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: 3T-GTE rebuild, whats cost/availability like? Mon, 05 September 2005 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My intention was to pull the engine apart to check that it is not needing an initial rebuild. By pulling the engine apart, I only mean the sump and head off. The small cost in gasket sets would be worth it, even just for peace of mind.

In my first questing in the original post, I was asking if parts are available, like pistons, timing chain, guides etc, or any other part that I may find worn out.
If, after pulling the engine apart, the engine was found to be worn, I would like to be able to buy parts relatively easy, and not have to pay inflated prices as my understanding was that these engines are becoming more and more rare.
You have told me that parts are not impossable to get. <whew!>

To re-word my second question:
What is the minimum involved (and ballpark prices) in getting a jap-import wired up and running? ie:
- new efi loom,
- new computer,
- reworked turbo?
- intercooler,
- surge tank?
Note that this engine has never been wired up and run in australia. It is completely stock as jap-imports are.
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: 3T-GTE rebuild, whats cost/availability like? Mon, 05 September 2005 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think i might sell mine if the right price comes up Very Happy

It's got new manifold, water and a few other gaskets, including everything except knock computer and wiring to it. Also the loom is cut. I'm looking for at least $1200

Comes with the original and rare manual bellhousing with the clutch fork on the passenger side. Very Happy
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: 3T-GTE rebuild, whats cost/availability like? Tue, 06 September 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I know that the flywheel and pulleys have rusted. This is why I plan on stripping it down just to check its insides. Is this overkill? Will a compression test verify the bearings etc are all good?

No a compression test will not tell you much about the bearings, but will give you an indication of how healthy the whole motor is. It's logical that a motor with good compression has not been flogged and therefore the bottom end will also be sound. As I have said before, bottom ends on these are not weak at all. Flywheel and pulley rust is not going to tell you anything except that the motor has been exposed to moisture. Does not give any indication of the motors guts.

I will say this now, a lot of what you are asking has been covered in other posts in the forums. Do a search and the answers will appear.

Asking for costs on

Quote:

new efi loom,
- new computer,
- reworked turbo?
- intercooler,
- surge tank?

Is a bit hard to answer. I mean, I don't work at a modshop and can't give you a quote lol. If you have the old ignition setup (the twin coils) then you can use a fuel only efi computer as these motors did not come out with ECU ignition. Fuel only ecu will be cheaper. 'new efi loom' ouch! Can you do it yourself? A loom will cost ya a minimum of $600 (thats a bargain!)

One option would be to install the motor in the car and then get the supplier to wire up the ECU and tune it. Usually places like dynotuners also supply and fit ECU's. Negotiate a price for install and tune before they start the job and not afterwards. I know that a certain DELCO modding legend has a contact on these forums and could do you a good deal though. Have a search and make enquiries.

Do a search on turbo's for this application on the toymods forums and make a decision from there. Most cost effective is a single entry CT26 which can be fitted onto the existing manifold with a little modding. Most effective for street would be a T25G or T28. I would not waste money on getting the stock turbo worked on. Intercooling is a must for the CT26 but if you run the stock boost (7.8psi?) on the Garrets you should be ok.

Intercooler? As much as you want to spend or it can be done quite cheaply using 2nd hand IC's from a choice of different cars. You will run into costs for piping but again it all depends on how you want to do it DIY or get a shop to do it. The last intercooler install that I paid for cost me $1200 with BOV (BOV= waste of $ IMHO) and I supplied the intercooler. It was a bastard of a job though, that's why I paid someone to do it that time. Or you could cross that bridge when you come to it, get the motor in and running first with the stock boost.

Surge tank, not much $ but a little stuffing around. Source 2nd hand pumps and you could get away with it for under $300.

Fark, that is all for me. I'll stop before I write a book!

[Updated on: Tue, 06 September 2005 05:36]

black72ta22
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: 3T-GTE rebuild, whats cost/availability like? Tue, 06 September 2005 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for your feedback guys.
I will go ahead and buy it, Do a lot more reading, and Hopefully join with you in the world of 3TGTE.
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 3T-GTE rebuild, whats cost/availability like? Tue, 06 September 2005 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know of some places who supply parts for the 3TGTE motor, I was able to source everything I needed for a complete rebuild of my motor.

PM if you want me to chase up some contact details for them.
t18_psi
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: 3T-GTE rebuild, whats cost/availability like? Wed, 07 September 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heya

ive got one of these engines.

it goes alright. it'll never make huge power like saty a 3s-gte will.

as an average punter and daily driver i think itll be a good engine as its pretty torquey down low.

let us know how u go Cool
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3T-GTE rebuild, whats cost/availability like? Wed, 07 September 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you don't already own a 3TGTE engine or have a love of T-series engines, don't get one.

They are an old motor and sourcing parts for a 4AGE or 3SGE is easier and cheaper.

Extracting decent numbers from a 3TGTE really requires a rebuild with forged pistons to make it reliable.

I have just finished rebuilding a 3TGTE engine with forgies, headwork, cams, HKS headgasket etc and it was not cheap.

ta23: can you send me a PM with your list of parts suppliers, I would be interested to compare it with my own.

black72ta22
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: 3T-GTE rebuild, whats cost/availability like? Wed, 07 September 2005 17:27 Go to previous message
t18_psi:
I would prefer the 3tgte over the 3sgte for a few reasons:
- the 3tgte seems to install easier as it is north-south, opposed to the 3sgte being east-west. Yeah you can convert the 3sgte to NS, but as this is my first turbo/efi setup, id rather take a smaller step in learning the turbo/efi system first without adding extra work in learning the conversion of a EW-engine to a NS-engine.
- as a daily driver and having to ring the crap out of the current 2tg to feel any sort of movement, having a bit more torque down low (with the 3tgte), and turbo at high rev will be a huge improvement to the driving experience. I dont want to wrap myself round a stobie pole with too many ponies like a 3sgte may provide. Atleast not in the short term anyway!
Will keep the forum informed with development, yes.

tanman:
I have pretty well decided on the 3tgte. I dont expect to jump straight in and get it running this year. I could always sell it untouched if later down the track i decide to choose a different engine.
As the 3tgte is old, i expect it to be simple. I expect no special bells and whistles on the 3tgte as some of the newer engines have (ie the 4age or 3sge, please correct me if i am wrong). I want this project to be pretty straight forward.
As I already have the older 2tg in the car, I am hoping that the big brother 3tg will make the transition from twin-solex(2tg) to efi/turbo(3tgte) a relatively small step (considering my prior undersanding of the T-series engine mechanics).
I accept that sourcing parts for the later model engines may be easier and cheaper. I am doing this to learn about efi/turbo systems, with a view to moving onto bigger and better things later down the track. I expect to use the stock engine with standard pistons initially, and just get the stock turbo piped up and some sort of wiring loom installed that will allow for a high end turbo to be fitted later.
Can you comment on the differences between the experiences that I would go through if choosing to install a 4age instead of a 3tgte? I guess one obvious difference is that the 4age isnt turboed. Would I be exposed to the same issues when fitting the wiring loom and selection of ecu if fitting a 4age instead of a 3tgte?
I am hoping that buying the 3tgte and supra box, installing the stock turbo/efi and getting it tuned will not cost me more than $4000. I then expect to upgrade the turbo to aftermarket, fit forgies and look into other possable engine mods.
I will spare you the details of the proposed chassis mods to another time.

Thanks for your comments.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:hi just wana knoe about 7mgte conversion
Next Topic:paint job or rebuild sx corolla
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 05:39:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049231052398682 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.