Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
intercooler for 3stge mr2 Sun, 27 October 2002 08:55 Go to next message
i dont know what to use or where to mount an intercooler for te mr2 as you would know its a mid mount so theres limited cooling space what im am after is the best legal way to mount an intercooler on the the motor i know they make a HKS and Trust for the side mount but i donr know how good they are do they provide enough cooling?
i ask this because i have big plains for the car but still street legal. if you know what i mean
So what i am asking pretty much is ppl that have had experance with the mr2 intercoolers. Where should i mount the intercooler what size intercooler and all that stuff! thanx in advance Brad
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: intercooler for 3stge mr2 Sun, 27 October 2002 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I suppose the only real options are the either do what some people have done and hack the engine lid to pieces and stick one through there, or make up a water/air one.
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: intercooler for 3stge mr2 Sun, 27 October 2002 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a Phoenix's Power bar and plate cooler in mine.

Its side mount, I've been really happy with the result.

Difference has been huge!
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: intercooler for 3stge mr2 Sun, 27 October 2002 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stick it on the roof (unless its a targa).

This way you can stick some advertising on it and make some money back Laughing !!

jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: intercooler for 3stge mr2 Mon, 28 October 2002 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you were serious about wanting good cooling, (But not serious enough to go about chopping up your car!) I'd buy a water to air core, get a pump, and run lines to the front of the car.

Should easily be able to run the lines down the centre tunnel in the underbody of the car, and still get the factory covers back over it.

Could even get a decent bolt-on water/air unit off a GT4.

Ask the GT4 boys on here which is the best heat exchanger.

Then run an oil sooler in the standard ic spot.
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: intercooler for 3stge mr2 Tue, 29 October 2002 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just wanted to say thanx for al the replies i have taken some in to consieration cheers
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: intercooler for 3stge mr2 Wed, 30 October 2002 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you currently have the factory intercooler?
What are you planning on doing with it?
I'm looking for one to front mount in my Caldina as I currently don't have a cooler at all.
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: intercooler for 3stge mr2 Wed, 30 October 2002 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ummmmmm. yep still got it, still got my spare engine fan mounted on it too.....

What motors in your caldina?
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: intercooler for 3stge mr2 Thu, 05 December 2002 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Been a while.
Engine in my Caldina is a 2C-T (2L turbo diesel Razz )with no intercooler.
I do know of a guy on the Gold Coast with a 3S-GTE in his.
MR-292
Regular

June 2005
Re: intercooler for 3stge mr2 Sat, 03 September 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys, i know this is a really really old thread, but i have a few questions about this topic,

No.1 Has anybody fitted a 2JZGTE cooler to the original place of a MR2 and if so was it a pain in the ass to fit??

and No. 2 Can anyone suggest a good place to get a cheapish side-mount custom cooler made up for an mr2, i have tried a few places and they seem extremely expensive to me, allow me to advise you guys that im on a Student income and i want to add a bit more poke to me Mr2...

Thanks in advance guys,
Liam
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: intercooler for 3stge mr2 Sat, 03 September 2005 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am putting my i/c in the boot. I dont really use the boot so it dosent matter much to me. i will be ducting the i/c from underneath the car and use the low pressure area behind the car to pull the air through the i/c core. Also i will use davis craig thermofans for when driving at low speeds...

This isnt for everyone but if you dont mind loosing your boot and dont want the extra weight and complication associated with w/a intercoolers then its the best way to go. Water to air i/c's are more efficient tho
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: intercooler for 3stge mr2 Sun, 04 September 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a PWR WTA cooler in my mr2 and the results were crazy. Intake temps were below 30 deg.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: intercooler for 3stge mr2 Sun, 04 September 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indeed, though a little more complex to set-up they (w2a) are IMO a better intercooler set-up in a mid engined car.

[Updated on: Sun, 04 September 2005 02:52]

MR-292
Regular

June 2005
Re: intercooler for 3stge mr2 Sun, 04 September 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i have been lookin for a GT4 set up but they seem to be as rare as rocking-horse shit, so i was starting to lean towards the supra cooler, but if itsthat much difference then i may aswell find the right thing in the first place.

what would a good W2A be worth, do you think i should be lookin at the PWR item or is there better out there?

thanks,
-Liam
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: intercooler for 3stge mr2 Sun, 04 September 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the pwr barrel i/cs are good shit
jazza08
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: intercooler for 3stge mr2 Sun, 04 September 2005 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im still abit confused on which option would b the best...
should you replace the side mount with a HKS example, do a boost install or what??
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: intercooler for 3stge mr2 Sun, 04 September 2005 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR-292 wrote on Sun, 04 September 2005 23:49

what would a good W2A be worth, do you think i should be lookin at the PWR item or is there better out there?

i was lucky enough to get a gt4 core few years back. Smile
i have heard good reports about the PWR items, though i dont know what they cost. i'ld say they must have a web site or something.
MR-292
Regular

June 2005
Re: intercooler for 3stge mr2 Sun, 04 September 2005 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok so from the response the water to air is definately the way to go, but i had a look at the PWR website and for a 290mm barrel kit they are asking $1029 and thats for the ability to support 270hp. i cant afford to apply such a set-up, if i were to but that kit i'd still need to have it installed...
id love to have this cooler set-up but to spend $1029 on a intercooler which can only support 270hp, i can't justify, what do you guys think of the pricing?

www.pwr.com.au

should i got for the 2jzgte cooler i can get for $150???
what would be the cost associated with gettin a few custom end tanks made up for it, and then fitted with piping made?
rough figures im thinking another $250-$300..correct me if im wrong in saying that.

Thanks
-Liam
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: intercooler for 3stge mr2 Sun, 04 September 2005 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could do it that way but at the end of the day you want the best you have to pay for it $1000 or even $2000 for a pwr barrel i/c that will have short i/c piping so less lagg and have the ability to cool the inlet temps to or below ambient it is money well spent. If you think $1100 is expensive take a look at how much some arc cores cost.

Just my $0.02
jazza08
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: intercooler for 3stge mr2 Mon, 05 September 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duno where you got its limited to 270hp
From the PWR website...
"The PWR Liquid to Air Barrel Intercoolers is available as an individual unit or in “Kit Form” and are suited to machines producing horse power between 270-1200+ HP."

Id love to see one of these set up... may look into it myself in future. Seems a great idea for a limited space Mr2
MR-292
Regular

June 2005
Re: intercooler for 3stge mr2 Mon, 05 September 2005 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well from what I can see in the price list of the items it seems that the smaller of the 'kits' which is 4"x6" barrel, is rated at 270hp, the larger and more expensive ones seem to be able to handle the higher power applications(1200hp+) unless i am reading this wrong ofcourse...

4agte- i can definately see where you are coming from and the fact is that these items may very well be the best application, it still seems expensive to me, as i mentioned in my first post i'm a student, meaning i dont earn a full time wage, which in turn means i cant just pull a grand out of nowhere. Sad

so i'm lookin for a cheap upgrade to get the job done un till a later date...
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: intercooler for 3stge mr2 Mon, 05 September 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
imho if you have big plans for the car you should forget upgrading the i/c until you have saved up enough to buy a pwr barrell i/c as your just going to have to buy one later down the track.

Spend your money once it works out alot cheaper in the end!!
MR-292
Regular

June 2005
Re: intercooler for 3stge mr2 Mon, 05 September 2005 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Mon, 05 September 2005 14:13

Spend your money once it works out alot cheaper in the end!!

good call, i do have plans but it will be a very gradual thing, it will happen over a long time, and i have been reading many things about the MR2 cooler, and the fact that it gets heatsoaked quite easily, and i found a 2j cooler cheap, so i thought it would be a good upgrade, but after reading your thoughts on the matter it seems to be a waste of time...i guess the only way to see the cost is too run around and ask a few people...

thanks
-Liam
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: intercooler for 3stge mr2 Mon, 05 September 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats to stop the 2j cooler getting heat soak just like the factory one? after all it's still a intercooler core just like the factory one.
the sw20 one is mounted off to the side vent inst it? thought of maybe relocating it off to the side of the engine bay above the gear box?

there's a subaru w2a intercooler core thats close to the dimensions of the toyota gt4 core, maybe you could source one of them cheap enough from a jap import wrecker or e-bay..
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: intercooler for 3stge mr2 Mon, 05 September 2005 10:17 Go to previous message
hi guys, i have a st205 water-air intercooler, plus required components (pump and heat exchanger.)
i'm planning to use them on my car. i'd let it go for a generous offer though..
http://members.optusnet.com.au/erki/water-air.jpg
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Engineering
Next Topic:ae93 and ae92
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 22:49:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068089962005615 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.