Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
forskies
Newcomer

June 2005
upholstry Wed, 31 August 2005 12:43 Go to next message
hey kids.. im lookin at doin my car's inside up

lookin at a full retrim for an ae92 rolla.. not to stressed bout the dash at the mo.. cause i wanna crank an ae101 dash eventually

any help with how to do door trims, seats, carpet, roof trim, paintin the plastic trims etc.. im an ultra n00b when it comes to this, so ANYTHING will help

thanks guys

p.s for the seats and doors, i had in mind a ruffled looked, so if anyone has suggestions for this as well.. let me no Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
dr trim
Regular

March 2005
Re: upholstry Thu, 01 September 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this sorta stuff, u cannot do urself.
it's far from mechanics (read a book and go) style..

..im a motor trimmer apprentice and well.. you NEED to pay someone to do it Wink
..and not me coz i cbf Very Happy
forskies
Newcomer

June 2005
Re: upholstry Sun, 04 September 2005 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbf?

wat the? and i no a few dudes who have done it.. they're explanations are that good tho.. was lookin for other ones

anyone else think its do able?
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: upholstry Mon, 05 September 2005 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbf = can't be farked

while harsh, dr trim has a point..

you can do it yourself, but the difference between a finished professional job and a quick home job is leaps and bounds, really...
dr trim
Regular

March 2005
Re: upholstry Mon, 05 September 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i didn't mean to be harsh, im just trying to stop u from wasting time/money/effort.

because it's an art almost, u can't just do it urself. Sorry dude but it's one of those things u must pay to do.
pomey
Regular

May 2005
Re: upholstry Mon, 05 September 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi there,

Dr Trim, just out of interest wat company do u work for? I had a quote from Castle Trim to re-trim the front and rear seats in my RA23 for $1200. What kind of prices does ur mob charge, i may give it a look!

Cheers, Pomey!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: upholstry Mon, 05 September 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1200 is about right.

I got my fronts re-done (new foam, extra bolstering, complete re-trim) and my back just re-trimmed, price tag was $1k.

Carpets, I highly recommend Knox auto carpets (http://www.knoxautocarpets.com.au/)

will cost you under $200 delivered for a full set of carpets. they aren't an exact fit, so set aside a day for trial fitting and cutting to get them to fit properly.
dr trim
Regular

March 2005
Re: upholstry Tue, 06 September 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u'll struggle to get a better quote.

have a look at their work, and see what it looks like.
looking at:

stitch alignment and general positioning
material sitting flush on the job
comfort of the seats
wrinkles
and general bad looking work.

if it's all good then ur on a winner.

i work for 2 companies, 1 makes the seats for holdens where im and engineering trim technician, the other is at Jim's Trim where they would charge u alot more than $1200 to do that. But seriously good work comes out of there Wink
pomey
Regular

May 2005
Re: upholstry Wed, 07 September 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers draven,

I will look into the carpets. Glad to know i'm not paying too much for seats as well!

Cheers, Pomey!
pomey
Regular

May 2005
Re: upholstry Wed, 07 September 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx to Dr Trim also,

The guy showed me some of his work and also stitched up some samples for me to take home using the exact materials and different options for stitchin. He seemed very genuine and has done this car before so i feel pretty confident. Am i allowed to promote Castle Trim on the forums? Oh well too late!

Cheers, Pomey!
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: upholstry Wed, 07 September 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Mon, 05 September 2005 23:14

1200 is about right.

I got my fronts re-done (new foam, extra bolstering, complete re-trim) and my back just re-trimmed, price tag was $1k.

Carpets, I highly recommend Knox auto carpets (http://www.knoxautocarpets.com.au/)

will cost you under $200 delivered for a full set of carpets. they aren't an exact fit, so set aside a day for trial fitting and cutting to get them to fit properly.

Draven got Pics?.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: upholstry Wed, 07 September 2005 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$1200 sounds about right. I got my seats redone very similar to Dravens, although without the icky vinyl. New foam, extra bolstering and just a standard trim on the back ones. That cost $1100.

I went to another place, and he didn't want to touch it for less than $1400. That said, MA61 seats aren't the simplest of devices.

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: upholstry Wed, 07 September 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
these are some old pics - too dark and cold to take any decent ones now.

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/draven/car/backseats.jpg

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/draven/car/carpet.jpg

Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: upholstry Fri, 09 September 2005 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Draven, which grade of carpet is that - "Front & rear super plush @ $185 delivered" ?

Were they really that bad a fit?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: upholstry Fri, 09 September 2005 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Fri, 09 September 2005 23:09

Yes Razz
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: upholstry Fri, 09 September 2005 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Sat, 10 September 2005 08:42

Stefan wrote on Fri, 09 September 2005 23:09

Yes Razz

I'll find out shortly. I also got mine from Know, but they are all pretty well the same in terms of it.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: upholstry Fri, 09 September 2005 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
greg- more pictures!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: upholstry Sat, 10 September 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bite me Razz

that's not the super-plush - that's just plush... they're plenty for me.

They're very well moulded (except the bit over the tranny tunnel was a bit big, needed an extra layer of padding), but all around the edges of the carpet you'll need to trim a little bit off, and you have to cut the bits for the centre console to go in as well.

They're not a *bad* fit per se, they just have more carpet there than you need Smile A few hours with a sharp knife and all is good.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: upholstry Sat, 10 September 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Sat, 10 September 2005 12:34

bite me Razz

that's not the super-plush - that's just plush... they're plenty for me.

Ah, ok. It's just that "Front & rear plush pile" is listed at $150 delivered, and you said your set cost "under $200", so I thought you had a more expensive one.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: upholstry Sat, 10 September 2005 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just couldn't remember the exact cost - but yeah, plush pile.

more picks for those desperate in a few days.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: upholstry Sun, 11 September 2005 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did you get your whole interior done for $1200? like door skins as well?

more pictures dammit, the back seat looks awesome!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: upholstry Sun, 11 September 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm sick an miserable. if I take the day off work tomorrow, I'll post pics.

And it was $1k for me for front and back seats, $150 for carpets, $200? for sub enclosure, battery enclosure, and floor in the boot. All the other interior work was done by me, at a cost of some vinyl dye and lots of armourall Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: upholstry Sun, 11 September 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
front seats for y'all

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/draven/car/front_seats.jpg

and despite what certain people say, the vinyl is actually comfortable, was not freezing during winter, and according to joorsh is not uber-hot in summer (I have yet to experience that yet)
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: upholstry Mon, 12 September 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm... looks good.. how did you do the door skins, the bits that are usually material?

and why does your centre console have stitching?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: upholstry Mon, 12 September 2005 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they're still material - they're out of a jap celica XX, so they're totally black fabric, and feel nicer than ma61 ones. You can do a cheap imitation of this like joorsh by spraying them with vinyl due (ehehe, sorry dude - couldn't resist. mine are sexier)

centre console stitching wtf?
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: upholstry Mon, 12 September 2005 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah shit, you poof, i want XX side trims Mad Laughing

if you follow your centre console lid down, near the handbrake and switches etc, it looks like the edges are stitched... i think i noticed josh's were like that too.

or am i just going retardeD?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: upholstry Mon, 12 September 2005 01:59 Go to previous message
no, mine are just normal. josh's are awesome and stitched - the previous owner had them retrimmed in leather. I'm very envious of that.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:hks head Gasket owners help
Next Topic:painting chrome *getting rid of bling wheels*
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 23:17:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0080671310424805 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.