Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Metal cats Sun, 04 September 2005 15:38 Go to next message
does anyone have any thoughts about the "metal cat" range of catalitic converters that have released? I am thining of getting a 2.25 one for my 20v. How would it compare to the renound Commie cat that everyone seems to love.

well thats interesting import bitz have them for $349 delivered, I think I will order one of them.

they say on the website they are fully EPA and CARB (WTF?) compliant.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 September 2005 08:18]

Send a private message to this user    
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Metal cats Sun, 04 September 2005 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abit off topic: how big is your exhaust?

i am getting a 20v put into my ae82 and am not sure what exhaust to put. the original is too small.
im thinking about going with a 2.5inch to the cat,leave the standard cat, then 2.25 inch to a triple flow muffler at the end. too big?
i can always change the cat at a later date.
Hodgo
Regular

August 2004
Re: Metal cats Sun, 04 September 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A friend used a pair of giant 4.5inch ones on his car the other day, look like they flow well but im not gonna give any opinion on performance as I never drove it b4 the cat change.

The only point I want to mention is that they dont seem to have a stamp of approval on them legality wise, so perhaps they are not technically legal????

I m ay be wrong but worth looking into b4 purchase.
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Metal cats Sun, 04 September 2005 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Indeed, check that they comply with the relevant ADRs... also check with an engineer what size/type he wants, if you are going that way...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Metal cats Mon, 05 September 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought Magic Performance sold Magic Cats, which are not Metal Cats.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Metal cats Mon, 05 September 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
illuminatus: mine will be 2.25, it's been pretty much accepted that that is the optimum size for a NA 4age, so that's what I would recomend.

CrUZsida: yes they are known as Magic cats however the one disinuishing thing about them is that they have a metal core instead of a ceramic one. So when I called them a metal cat I was refering more to the type than the brand name.

I will find out about the ADR approvals, I don't want to go to the effort of fitting this thing to be knocked back later on.

I am mainly interested in this for the compact size, the 2.15' version is only 285mm tip to tip and I need every little bit of room under my sprinter I can muster up. I am sure that this would have a limited peformance gain over a commodor cat however they are much more compact.

I was quoted $415 for the 2.25 version from a place in the S.E suberbs today.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Metal cats Mon, 05 September 2005 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam_Q wrote on Mon, 05 September 2005 15:58

CrUZsida: yes they are known as Magic cats however the one disinuishing thing about them is that they have a metal core instead of a ceramic one. So when I called them a metal cat I was refering more to the type than the brand name.

Well, that can get confusing.

Metal cat is another brand.
http://www.importbitz.com/metalcat.htm
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Metal cats Mon, 05 September 2005 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whoa, thanks for the correction CrUZsida, I got mixed up with the one you pointed out. I have been talking about the import bitz one. I will change my first post to suit.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Metal cats Mon, 05 September 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam_Q wrote on Mon, 05 September 2005 01:38

they say on the website they are fully EPA and CARB (WTF?) compliant.

these might be american ?

the second acronym is probably California <??> <??> Board.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Metal cats Mon, 05 September 2005 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I am sure your right, now the big question is are they legit for the pollution laws of this country?
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Metal cats Tue, 06 September 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have received an e-mail back and apparently they are EPA legal.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Metal cats Tue, 06 September 2005 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not sure that there are ADR requirements for cat converters, only EPA requirements as this is a pollution issue not a safety/build issue.....

.. but an engineer would be the best person to ask this one.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Metal cats Tue, 06 September 2005 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well im using a stock gze cat that came with the car from japan and ive had no mention from any engineer that i need to change it
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Metal cats Mon, 17 October 2005 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I managed to finish installing the metal cat into my exhaust, heres how it looks:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/exhaust/pipesdone2.jpg

the photos don't do it justice on just how small it is, it really is tiny. For more pics and info see my worklog.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Metal cats Tue, 18 October 2005 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice

what paint did u use on the exhaust?
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: Metal cats Tue, 18 October 2005 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any cheap hi temp black paint... its to hide the mild steel i guess Smile
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Metal cats Tue, 18 October 2005 07:53 Go to previous message
it's some not so cheap stainless, except for the welds. The paint is some nasty crap that will burn off pretty quick but it will get me out of trouble in the meantime.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 October 2005 07:54]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:O/D light flashing
Next Topic:Modifying 3T-GTE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 13:54:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045220851898193 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.