Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Three speed wipers on RA28 Sun, 04 September 2005 13:16 Go to next message
Hi guys,
I'm in the middle of converting the window wipers on a ra28 to three speed. I reckon that a ra40 wiper board will drop straight into a 28 stalk cluster. The 40 has a eight wire setup and the 28 has a four wire set up at the board end. Has anybody had any sucess with this conversion before? Thanks guys.
  Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Three speed wipers on RA28 Sun, 04 September 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very interested in how this goes.. Sorry cannot help though.
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Three speed wipers on RA28 Mon, 05 September 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check out a YH61 hiace too, the have really good wiper speeds.
Slow is still pretty quick, but intermittent.
Medium is same speed as slow but not interittent.
Fast is pretty damn fast.
I reckon the only thing that might be an issue is the hazzard light switch, but I'm not sure if that's attached or not. I'm sure that something else could be figured out for that anyway.
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Three speed wipers on RA28 Mon, 05 September 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tried swapping hazards from a ra40 onto a ra28.

lemme just say i should a just bought the working ra28 stalk.

very tricky ... but good luck
TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Three speed wipers on RA28 Mon, 05 September 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi,

yeah i have an ra40 wiper stalk on my 28 for that reason.

i believe there was a relay or something else missing, cant remember what at the moment (i havnt thought bout it for well over a year- since i last had my car)..... but you definately need more than just the stalk.

Cheers
Stew
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: Three speed wipers on RA28 Mon, 05 September 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry cant help, but i am also very interested in this. Can donate an ra28 stalk if needed.
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: Three speed wipers on RA28 Mon, 05 September 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a ra28 stalk and a 40 stalk from one I wrecked as well. I havent looked at the diagrams yet but you can easily drop the ra40 stalk and board for the wipers into the 28 assembly. The wiring is different though, you also need a three speed motor. They differ because they have five pins at the motor end as opposed to four pins on the two speed motor. So hopefully, i'll be able to drop the 40 board and stalk in there and run some extra wires to the cressida motor which i'll re-pin and add a couple of extra loom wires to. Easily said, lets just see how I get on because the eight wire 40 config is confusing.
TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Three speed wipers on RA28 Tue, 06 September 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey there,

i didnt drop the stalk and wiper into the 28 assembly. i put the whole 40 assembly on my 28. it plugged straight into the loom on the underside of the steering wheel, and every thing still works fine.

the only difference i could find was the ra40 loom has one extra wire, which i assumed was for the intermittant signal. this may be an easier way than dropping the board in, only one wire to connect. unfortunaely this is where i ran out of interest, or maybe where my car went into the panel shop, never to be seen again, but for some reason i didnt get it runnin, yet.

Cheers
Stew
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Three speed wipers on RA28 Sun, 11 September 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys... i'm a little puzzled... when you say 3 speed i presume you mean intermittent, slow and fast...

mine has this already... but intremittent is speed variable... the stalk has 2 speeds, but there's a little knob on the dash, to the left of the steering column, which turns on the intermittent and adjusts the speed... but atm it's not working... other problem i found was that it was quite noise... clicked everytime the wipers wiped..
omegaman
Regular

August 2003
Re: Three speed wipers on RA28 Sun, 11 September 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can get from jcar I think an intermittent unit. You just connect 3 wires and place it on the dash. It adjust the speed from inter... to fast, cheap as chips and easy to install.
earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: Three speed wipers on RA28 Sun, 11 September 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I transplanted the later RA40 unit with intermittent wipers into an early RA40 without intermittent wipers.

I found it very interesting that Toyota used a special little box to generate the intermittent signal, from tht outside it looks just like a relay. Inside there is a motor geared down to a little cam and a set of contacts. Basically the cam opens and closes the contacts as the motor rotates but it is slow enough to only give a pulse every 'x' seconds. Hence providing the intermittent wiper signal. There is no change to the original wiper motor and this box just plugged into the fuse box area - already a slot there for it. It should be pretty easy to adapt to the RA28.

At a guess the Jaycar kit would probably use a 555 timer circuit to generate a pulse to trigger the wiper motor where the frequency of the pulses is variable by a pot (potentiometer) so that rate of the intermittent wipers is variable. This system could be used with any factory wiper installation. Well except vacuum operated wipers Smile
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: Three speed wipers on RA28 Sun, 11 September 2005 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I havent seen that kit in the jaycar catalogue mayby its not around any more? Sounds a whole lot easier then repinning a heap of wires and and new looms for a 28. I'll try dick smith.
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Three speed wipers on RA28 Sun, 11 September 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here here

jaycar kit sounds better
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Three speed wipers on RA28 Mon, 12 September 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
many moons ago, i got a kit from dick smith to do variable wiper speed in my RA23 - was a german/euro cheap kit.

however, a quick look on their web site was fruitless. Best thing might be to head to an actual store.

cheers, Charles
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Three speed wipers on RA28 Mon, 12 September 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Be careful there. I find that Dick Smith employees have no idea about what they're doing.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Three speed wipers on RA28 Mon, 12 September 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup - that's why i'm suggesting you go and have an actual look in the store.
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: Three speed wipers on RA28 Tue, 13 September 2005 18:30 Go to previous message
You can always rely on the Chuckster. I was in dick smith and didnt find that kit, the 20 year old girl with behind the counter seems to get confused by the word diode, so I didnt bother asking, i'll have another look at teh 40 conversion when I get time. Thanks mate.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4agte with 4agze manifold
Next Topic:timing belt tensioner
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 09:27:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054030418395996 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.