Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon4.gif  In Case of Emergency Wed, 17 August 2005 10:58 Go to next message
Just forwarding this on in case it gains momentum...

The following came from the Australian New Zealand Forensic Science Society August newsletter.
Quote:

An interesting and innovative idea has emerged in the wake of the recent London bombings. A campaign has been launched by the East
Anglia Ambulance Service in conjunction with the Falklands veteran Simon Weston to use mobile phones as an aide in contacting loved ones in an emergency situation.

The idea is that you store the word "I C E" in your mobile phone
address book, and against it enter the number of the person you would want to be contacted "In Case of Emergency". For more than one contact name ICE1, ICE2, ICE3 etc. In an emergency, staff will then be able to quickly find out who your next of kin are and be able to contact them.

Please spread the word so that In Case of Emergency, we can all have our loved ones contacted straight away. Thank you so much to Inspector Ross Brogan for passing this information to us.

[Updated on: Wed, 17 August 2005 10:59]

Send a private message to this user    
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: In Case of Emergency Wed, 17 August 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just incase i need some emergency In Car Entertainment....
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: In Case of Emergency Wed, 17 August 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is this an actual offically recognised thing? or just an email chain letter?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: In Case of Emergency Wed, 17 August 2005 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's not official.

But has the backing of some large bodies.

So not really a chain letter either.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: In Case of Emergency Wed, 17 August 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okies Smile
just keep getting it from various places Wink
does sound like a good thing tho!
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: In Case of Emergency Wed, 17 August 2005 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Urg I hate this shit. It's got the intentions of being "good", but falls on it's face as stupid spam.

1. It's useless if the phone is locked, and face it, everyone's is.

2. Emergency staff arn't trained in unlocking phones, and they have no legal right to attempt to do so.

This is right up there with that 112 bullshit. It's 000 in this country.

Oh yea, I almost forgot, in an emergency, pull the handbrake, close your eyes and hope you hit the stupid bitch.

[Updated on: Wed, 17 August 2005 13:44]

mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: In Case of Emergency Wed, 17 August 2005 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im personally putting the local knock shop down in my phone under ICE..

death to the system...dawg.. Surprised
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: In Case of Emergency Wed, 17 August 2005 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is spam that the forensic science society newsletter editor seems to have fallen for.

Anyway - if you've been damaged so much that you can't talk, it's quite likely that your phone will be equally as damaged - you wallet with credit card, laminated licence etc is more likly to survive an accident.

Also most emergency personel are going to concentrate on saving your life not ringing your partner/mum/auntie to say that they've scraped you off the front of a bus. And telling people that a next of kin has died is not part of an EMS's front line role anyway.

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: In Case of Emergency Wed, 17 August 2005 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got a sms from telstra about this yesterday

i deleted thinking yeah whatever trevor Rolling Eyes
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: In Case of Emergency Wed, 17 August 2005 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apollo wrote on Wed, 17 August 2005 23:42

Urg I hate this shit. It's got the intentions of being "good", but falls on it's face as stupid spam.

2. Emergency staff arn't trained in unlocking phones, and they have no legal right to attempt to do so.

It's not hard to pull a SIM out of a locked phone and stick it into another.

thechuckster wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 00:19

Anyway - if you've been damaged so much that you can't talk, it's quite likely that your phone will be equally as damaged - you wallet with credit card, laminated licence etc is more likly to survive an accident.

So you're saying that in 100% of accidents, the mobile phone the person is carrying is totally destroyed? Including the SIM card?

thechuckster wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 00:19

Also most emergency personel are going to concentrate on saving your life not ringing your partner/mum/auntie to say that they've scraped you off the front of a bus. And telling people that a next of kin has died is not part of an EMS's front line role anyway.

So... The only time they could ever possibly call your ICE contact would be at the scene of the accident?!?! WTF??
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: In Case of Emergency Wed, 17 August 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive just put Robert Van Winkle's phone number in my mobile under ICE.

http://langstroth.net/images/vanilla_ice.jpg

when the emergency service calls Vanilla Ice can give the following directions:

All right stop collaborate and listen
Ice is back with my brand new invention
Something grabs a hold of me tightly
Flow like a harpoon daily and nightly
Will it ever stop yo I don't know
Turn off the lights and I'll glow
To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: In Case of Emergency Thu, 18 August 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rofl I just had a fire drill in my building i have now been volunteered/promoted to floor warden ,no one else would volunteer and i am closest to the emergency phone so i got the gig yay not.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: In Case of Emergency Thu, 18 August 2005 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 07:13

It's not hard to pull a SIM out of a locked phone and stick it into another.

Errr, most people lock their sim card too.

But just put 'home' 'mum' and 'dad' in there.

Simple.

As for ICE, I like Robs idea.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: In Case of Emergency Thu, 18 August 2005 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

ive just put Robert Van Winkle's phone number in my mobile under ICE.

http://langstroth.net/images/vanilla_ice.jpg

when the emergency service calls Vanilla Ice can give the following directions:

All right stop collaborate and listen
Ice is back with my brand new invention
Something grabs a hold of me tightly
Flow like a harpoon daily and nightly
Will it ever stop yo I don't know
Turn off the lights and I'll glow
To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.

Rollin in my 5 point 0 with my rag top down so my hair can blow...... Laughing

LMAO Laughing

I had Ice Ice Baby as my ring tone for a while just for a larf. Not likely to help me in an accident though.

On a more serious note though I have heard of this ICE thing before though. If people choose to use it or not is up to them.
Norminator
Regular

August 2002
Re: In Case of Emergency Thu, 18 August 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now what am i supposed to save my ice dealer as??!

hopefully the person recovering my phone from my possibly detached hand will consider "Mum mobile" and "Dad mobile" as viable options before going straight for the "ICE".

Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 10:46

rofl I just had a fire drill in my building i have now been volunteered/promoted to floor warden ,no one else would volunteer and i am closest to the emergency phone so i got the gig yay not.

heh... i used to keep the red hat on my desk for when i wanted to do some high-level daydreaming. no-one ever tried to claim it. i even modded it with a "The workplace is no place for bullying" sticker... but i don't need it anymore. my new desk has a nice view of the mountains that i stare at all day...
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: In Case of Emergency Thu, 18 August 2005 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe i get a yellow hat now cos i am important. Wink
WANTED_AE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: In Case of Emergency Sat, 20 August 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can anyone imitate Vanilla Ice's hand signal? Rolling Eyes
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: In Case of Emergency Sat, 20 August 2005 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

HA! Me to. Only thing is we are on the ground floor, only 2 of us at most at any one time there and as far away from the meeting point as possible. In fact we have to circle the building to get there. Rolling Eyes . They are trying to work out how we can have the required number of wardens (3) when only 2 of us work there.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: In Case of Emergency Sun, 21 August 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clubagreenie wrote on Sun, 21 August 2005 00:35

HA! Me to. Only thing is we are on the ground floor, only 2 of us at most at any one time there and as far away from the meeting point as possible. In fact we have to circle the building to get there. Rolling Eyes . They are trying to work out how we can have the required number of wardens (3) when only 2 of us work there.

hahaha, i'm on the 8th floor in a 12 story building (but you've got ground and M level to so its actually about level 10 interms of the amount of stairs you have to walk down. Evac took 14mins for the whole building pretty good.
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: In Case of Emergency Sun, 21 August 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WANTED_AE86 wrote on Sat, 20 August 2005 16:41

can anyone imitate Vanilla Ice's hand signal? Rolling Eyes

Laughing
who didnt try it?

<insert silence here>

exactly! Razz
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: In Case of Emergency Tue, 23 August 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

So youre one of those who's privacy and rights beliefs make it hard for people to do the right thing. If i was unconcious i would like the paramedics to try and contact my family, and if that meant pressing menu * on my phone then so be it. FFS this privacy bullshit goes way over the top.

112 is the international mobile emergency number, it connects you through to the same call centre as 000. Dialling either works in Aus, 112 works regardless of what country you are in. You will also notice you can enter and dial both 112 and 000 in most phones with the phone locked.
Norminator
Regular

August 2002
Re: In Case of Emergency Tue, 23 August 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Squid wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 15:19

So youre one of those who's privacy and rights beliefs make it hard for people to do the right thing. If i was unconcious i would like the paramedics to try and contact my family, and if that meant pressing menu * on my phone then so be it. FFS this privacy bullshit goes way over the top.

If i was unconcious i would like the paramedics to try and save my ass. I'll tell mum myself, later, when I'm not dead.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: In Case of Emergency Tue, 23 August 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok yes, they should save your ass first...but then it might be nice for them to contact someone.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: In Case of Emergency Thu, 01 September 2005 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Squid wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 15:19

112 is the international mobile emergency number, it connects you through to the same call centre as 000. Dialling either works in Aus, 112 works regardless of what country you are in. You will also notice you can enter and dial both 112 and 000 in most phones with the phone locked.

000. Remember it. Surely it's easier than 112 or 911 to remember? I mean, they're all the same damn digit.

As for the privacy thing, you really have no idea do you?

Go and get some clue about ethics and how the rest of the world works, then come back. How about posting your address right here in the public forum, surely it's just over the top bullshit isn't it? I promise to only use your details to send you stuff from myself about toyotas. But I can't say the same for the 100 other market research businesses I'll sell that info to. So naive...... One day you'll have your eyes opened. Intentions of doing the right thing does not entitle unconditional trust.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: In Case of Emergency Fri, 02 September 2005 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's one space in your phone, it can't hurt anything to have it in there, so why wouldn't you do it?
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: In Case of Emergency Fri, 02 September 2005 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For fuck sake we are talking about paramedics looking in your phone to find a number to call!!! That doesn't compare to publishing personal information on the net.

But of course why didn't I see that all paramedics just use thier job as a paramedic to gather phone numbers for their evil telemarketing schemes...
Norminator
Regular

August 2002
Re: In Case of Emergency Fri, 02 September 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you want people to know your details that badly, get a Medic Alert bracelet or something of a similar nature. i'm sure it would have a much better chance of staying with your body in the event of disaster, anyway. or how about a tattoo? maybe one could see one's vet regarding getting microchipped? Laughing

and it really, REALLY isn't something a paramedic should be bothered with doing. seriously, if you were in the process of stabilising or recovering someone from a serious injury, do you think having their mum on the phone in hysterics is going to help you do your job? and saving people is their job... not calling your mum, or anything else. and i know those guys deal with enough traumatic sh!te already.

what if you lose your phone, and it falls into the hands of pranksters? how does the paramedic authenticate before passing on information to your loved ones? the idea is not completely without merit, but it needs work.

and as for the dismissal of privacy principles... to paraphrase Hank, "If you're not angry, you're part of the fkn problem."
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: In Case of Emergency Mon, 05 September 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norminator wrote on Fri, 02 September 2005 16:57

what if you lose your phone, and it falls into the hands of pranksters? how does the paramedic authenticate before passing on information to your loved ones? the idea is not completely without merit, but it needs work.

Yeah - Because pranksters would never think of calling any of the other numbers in the phone....
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: In Case of Emergency Mon, 05 September 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 13:02

you wont be laughing when your the last man, in the burning building Sad.
Norminator
Regular

August 2002
Re: In Case of Emergency Mon, 05 September 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Wilson wrote on Mon, 05 September 2005 11:38

Yeah - Because pranksters would never think of calling any of the other numbers in the phone....

... yeah - because if it actually was a paramedics job to call someone, they would never think of calling any of the other numbers in the phone....

Rolling Eyes
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: In Case of Emergency Mon, 05 September 2005 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smt_007 wrote on Mon, 05 September 2005 11:43

Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 13:02

you wont be laughing when your the last man, in the burning building Sad.

hahaha nah i get out stillm our fire stairs/doors have a 2 hour fire rating and are pressurerised with fresh air to keep the smoke out. Considering on our trial evac we cleared the building in 14 mins ( my floor was out befor then) i'd say i'm safe. Surprised
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: In Case of Emergency Mon, 05 September 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norminator wrote on Mon, 05 September 2005 11:54

... yeah - because if it actually was a paramedics job to call someone, they would never think of calling any of the other numbers in the phone....

Rolling Eyes

Like the ones labelled mum or dad. Razz
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: In Case of Emergency Mon, 05 September 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have neither home, mum or dad in my phone, since i know all the numbers off the top of my head.

but now it seems like a good time to put them in Confused

Eldar.O.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: In Case of Emergency Mon, 05 September 2005 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Mon, 05 September 2005 11:58

Norminator wrote on Mon, 05 September 2005 11:54

Rolling Eyes

Like the ones labelled mum or dad. Razz

There are some people out there who wouldn't want their parents contacted, that's why an emergency contact number would be handy...

[Updated on: Mon, 05 September 2005 22:19]

Norminator
Regular

August 2002
Re: In Case of Emergency Tue, 06 September 2005 01:43 Go to previous message
that's a shame for those people... i have no such dysfunctional relationship with my parents.

so how many of these emergency numbers do you keep in your phone? what happens if the first one doesn't answer? is this the only person who it is permissable to call on your behalf? or do they then just go on to going through your phonebook, exactly the way it's done by staff in emergency departments across the country now?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:I need a new job
Next Topic:Work experiance
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:23:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074489116668701 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.