Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
DanielGVisser
Regular

August 2004
4A-GTE Buildup Sat, 03 September 2005 14:36 Go to next message
G'day guys,

i am building a turbo GZE for my AE92 and i have a few questions.

I am using an AE92 MAP sensored GZE Engine with the AE101 LSD FWD 5 Speed Box.

1. What CAM's would you guys recommend?

2. What turbocharger should i use if i want to make power within the 300+hp range? (i have heard that t3/t4 hybrids are good?)

3. I have heard that the crank and conrods are good for up to around 450hp, so all i need to do is slam some nice forged pistons in there. Is this correct? and if so, what is a good brand of piston? ie. Wiseco, Arias, etc.

4. Is it worth using the 20V Head?

5. Is it worth using Nitrous Oxide? and if so, will the stock gze conrods and crank be up to the task?

I will be making custom intake and turbo manifolds, and i am using a Microtech LT10s Engine Management System, with possibly the addition of a MSD DIGI-4 for ignition.

Thanks for your time,

Dan

Send a private message to this user    
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Sat, 03 September 2005 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. the standard cams are fine.
2. i've only had experience with the lil t25, so i cant comment.
3. the engine already has forged pistons.
4. IMO no.
5. do you want to keep it legal?

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Sun, 04 September 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teh Witzl's Responsez

1. Stock cams are fine. Upgrade later if you want more

2. The S15 T28 is a nice little number, but cant be pushed too much more than 15psi. Otherwise a WRX turbo is a good size, and well proven for 150fwkW

3. GZE pistons are more than capable.

4. no

5. no, unless you are a spaz Razz

IGNITION - the X4 ignition box with the LT10s will be more than enough.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Sun, 04 September 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Sun, 04 September 2005 10:53

Teh Witzl's Responsez

2. The S15 T28 is a nice little number, but cant be pushed too much more than 15psi. Otherwise a WRX turbo is a good size, and well proven for 150fwkW

4. no

I think you should do a little more research man. The standard s15 turbo will do 20 psi on a gte. This is what mine ran without any problems. Anything after that is out of its efficiency range.
An s15 turbo on a gte will net you around the 170fwkw. It has to be modified to get anymore. Mine was modified and i ended up with 205rwkw. A wrx turbo is a little on the small side if you wish to get any big numbers.

Also, if you need a custom plenum i have one made for your car. Pm me if you are interested.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Sun, 04 September 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2. T3/T4 Hybrid = old turbo technology. As pointed out by teh Witzl even a tiny (read responsive) turbo like that of a WRX is plenty (WRX is rated at 275hp from the factory).

old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Sun, 04 September 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Sun, 04 September 2005 11:50

Teh Witzl's Responsez

4. no

I think you should do a little more research man. The standard s15 turbo will do 20 psi on a gte. This is what mine ran without any problems. Anything after that is out of its efficiency range.
An s15 turbo on a gte will net you around the 170fwkw. It has to be modified to get anymore. Mine was modified and i ended up with 205rwkw. A wrx turbo is a little on the small side if you wish to get any big numbers.

Also, if you need a custom plenum i have one made for your car. Pm me if you are interested.

YOU DARE TO CHALLENGE WITZL Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Sun, 04 September 2005 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old_mr2 wrote on Sun, 04 September 2005 14:56

lol
Speed Demon
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Sun, 04 September 2005 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2, I'm not disputing your claim of 20psi on a standard s15 turbo, but I have heard from many sources that they can't be pushed further than 15psi because they have ceramic exhaust wheels that crack after this point.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Sun, 04 September 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they have a steel wheel you are thinking of skyline turbos
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Sun, 04 September 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speed Demon wrote on Sun, 04 September 2005 16:40

fatmr2, I'm not disputing your claim of 20psi on a standard s15 turbo, but I have heard from many sources that they can't be pushed further than 15psi because they have ceramic exhaust wheels that crack after this point.

They dont have a ceramic wheel. It's steel. As 4agte has pointed out Smile

fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Sun, 04 September 2005 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old_mr2 wrote on Sun, 04 September 2005 14:56

fatmr2 wrote on Sun, 04 September 2005 11:50

Teh Witzl's Responsez

4. no

Well.....When your wrong your wrong Wink
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Sun, 04 September 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am unable to determine if the S15 turbo i have here is ceramic or not. i would have thought ceramic by the ringing note it makes when tapped with a screwdriver....
YelloRolla will no doubt pipe in with his thoughts on the turbo i showed him.

NB: i did not buy this turbo, so i cannot conclusively say 100% is it in fact S15.
DanielGVisser
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Sun, 04 September 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL

thanks for the advice guys. For my application i think i will go with a set of Arias forged pistons, and leave the rest of the bottom end as stock toyota. I will need to get my crank ground due to #1 conrod bearing being chewed down to pretty much nothing and replace the conrod itself.

I am still unsure which turbo i should use though? I have heard that a T3/T4 hybrid is a good choice for power in the range of 300 - 400hp. Tony Rigoli from rigoli performance has a corolla there with the 20V head, stock internals (bar a set of forged pistons) and he is using a T3/T4 hybrid turbo. He produces 405fwhp.

Has anyone had any luck with any larger turbo's?

As for the Ignition side of things, thanks WITZL, i had forgotten about my X-4 module.

And with the Nitrous Oxide? thought i would simply give it a go to see whether it is actually worth it or not? On legal terms its a big NO NO. But for performance? i dunno.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Sun, 04 September 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much power you looking at making???

The gt series turbos arent too expensive any more something like a gt28 RS
DanielGVisser
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Sun, 04 September 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looking at making around the 350 - 400hp mark?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Sun, 04 September 2005 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hks gt2535 or 2540R is your answer

edit: stock gze pistons will be fine for that much power

[Updated on: Sun, 04 September 2005 22:03]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Mon, 05 September 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DanielGVisser wrote on Sun, 04 September 2005 20:56

thanks for the advice guys. For my application i think i will go with a set of Arias forged pistons

Why bother with the Arias ones, when the 4AGZE ones are already forged and ceramic coated, come in either 8:1 and 8.9:1 compression ratios. Save the difference and put it towards better tuning.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Mon, 05 September 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 05 September 2005 10:16

thanks for the advice guys. For my application i think i will go with a set of Arias forged pistons

Why bother with the Arias ones, when the 4AGZE ones are already forged and ceramic coated, come in either 8:1 and 8.9:1 compression ratios. Save the difference and put it towards better tuning.

dont forget that they are cheap aswell

i think they are arround the $350 mark
DanielGVisser
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Mon, 05 September 2005 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alrighty then, will give the toyota ones a go! You guys make a very good point, the more money for tuning i can get the better.

And i should use a HKS GT2535 or a 2540R eh?

Will have to do some research on these turbo's i think. How much are they worth?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Mon, 05 September 2005 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It depends what your after but to make 350hp a 2540R is spot on

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=77635&start=0&rid=7389&S=4052eff3911 b1b07408929d625df6c26
have a look at this post i think you will find what your looking for...

If it were me and i was chasing a 350hp id be using the smallest turbo i could get away with to make the power especially if it is a street car
DanielGVisser
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Mon, 05 September 2005 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it possible to push 400 hp out of these engines with a turbo change to the next size or few sizes up? or is there no point?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Mon, 05 September 2005 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DanielGVisser wrote on Mon, 05 September 2005 11:53

is it possible to push 400 hp out of these engines with a turbo change to the next size or few sizes up? or is there no point?

so 400hp = 300kw

7000rpm = 407Nm

1.6L = approx 150Nm/bar = 1.72bar boost = 25psi

imho it is rpm and poor tuning which kills motors..
if you get the fuel AND ignition timing spot on, and good efficiency everywhere (ie manifolds, turbo and intercooling) you should be able to make 400hp from maybe 25-30psi at only 7000rpm

as was said before, get the smallest turbo that is still in it's efficiency range at the pressure and airflow you want..
and if you plan to drive it on the road, don't even bother stuffing around with some dodgy 2nd hand turbo. get one that is perfectly sized for what you want (and don't listen to 2nd hand info.. go and talk to garrett as a starting point)

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Mon, 05 September 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Mon, 05 September 2005 12:08

imho it is rpm and poor tuning which kills motors..
if you get the fuel AND ignition timing spot on, and good efficiency everywhere (ie manifolds, turbo and intercooling) you should be able to make 400hp from maybe 25-30psi at only 7000rpm

as was said before, get the smallest turbo that is still in it's efficiency range at the pressure and airflow you want..
and if you plan to drive it on the road, don't even bother stuffing around with some dodgy 2nd hand turbo. get one that is perfectly sized for what you want (and don't listen to 2nd hand info.. go and talk to garrett as a starting point)

this is good advice
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Mon, 05 September 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Mon, 05 September 2005 11:01

justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 05 September 2005 10:16

dont forget that they are cheap aswell

i think they are arround the $350 mark

Agreed that they're both cheap and strong... they are bloody heavy though. I think that would be the only bonus to getting aftermarket pistons... less weight to move.

Eddie.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Mon, 05 September 2005 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey mate

To say that a T3/4 is a good choice is a very general statement, as several A/R ratios & wheel trims are available which will affect peak power & response greatly.

You would certainly be best to research the Garrett/HKS range of new generation ball bearing turbos to get a nicely matched setup that will give you the top end grunt plus reasonable response, which you won't get from the old school T3/T4 range Crying or Very Sad

If you're keen on going HKS, I have a genuine HKS GT2540 in my shed that I could part with.
DanielGVisser
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Mon, 05 September 2005 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am definately going to go with HKS range. I will work out what turbo i want... need to do more research i think. I am considering a GT2540 which is what you have to offer i know, but i may go larger. When i sort it out i will let you know?

Has anyone had any experience with these HKS turbo's? could i ask what power levels people have received with which HKS turbo's on the 4A-GE engine?

Many thanks for all your helpful comments guys, it is greatly appreciated.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Mon, 05 September 2005 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
larger? Shocked There are a number of SR20's getting around with ~250kw at the wheels with the HKS GT2540! Don't be fooled by the relatively small external appearance, they have huge flow potential, remember its only on a 1.6 litre Smile which won't happily spool a GT30

Good luck with your research, its a bit of a jungle out there Confused Don't believe everything you hear
DanielGVisser
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Tue, 06 September 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
decided to go with the GT2540R with the 0.64 Exhaust Housing!

domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Tue, 06 September 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with SR20 turbos the T25 is ceramic, the T25g is steel and the T28 is steel as well. t25 was on s13 sr20's t25g came off s14 and t28 was on s15's im pretty sure.

would be a good idea to look at www.nissansilvia.com for 100% info. my mate got a blacktop 180sx (1996) sr20 and it had a t25g on it.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Tue, 06 September 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I belevie the s14 had the ball bearin t28 later on.. Also the GTI-R i think had a non ball bearing t28. I think the GTR also has ceramic wheel t28's
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Tue, 06 September 2005 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
early S14 had bush bearing T28 also, this is what I used to run on my 4A.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Tue, 06 September 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so what the heck are you going to do with 300-400hp in a FWD shopping trolley??

any plans for traction?
DanielGVisser
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Tue, 06 September 2005 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
going to start off with some slicks for the front and a full suspension upgrade. Then if i still have traction problems after that.... your guess is as good as mine Very Happy
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Tue, 06 September 2005 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DanielGVisser wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 02:32

going to start off with some slicks for the front and a full suspension upgrade. Then if i still have traction problems after that.... your guess is as good as mine Very Happy

Laughing ahhh the 400m dash to coles i suppose? Wink
DanielGVisser
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Wed, 07 September 2005 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhh true true haha Laughing

But on the more serious side of things, i have stumbled across a small pain in the @ss of a problem. My local toyota dealer does not know sh*t about the gze engine. Therefore the halfwits there cannot order anything for me.

So guys i thought i might as well ask you for help!

I am chasing toyota part numbers for GZE Block Internals:

1. Pistons (and do toyota make oversized ones, i am guessing they do)
2. Rings
3. Conrods & Bearings
4. Main Bearings
5. Rear Oil Seal
6. And anything else i have probably forgotten Confused
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Wed, 07 September 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
call james sloan at castle hill toyota in sydney he will be able to order anything you need toyota import wise very good to deal with

edit: you can get the number from www.chtoyota.com.au

[Updated on: Wed, 07 September 2005 05:07]

DanielGVisser
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Wed, 07 September 2005 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no worries, will email him. i think i have spoken with him before actually. Cheers 4agte!
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Wed, 07 September 2005 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nw good luck with the buildup keep us posted
DanielGVisser
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Fri, 09 September 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got ahold of Toyota, Sloan is on holidays, but i spoke to another lad and i ordered oversized pistons and rings so that the block can get sorted out as far as boring,etc goes.

What is a good spark plug to use on a turbo GZE? I have been using NGK's. Do i still use the same ones for the supercharged engine? or do i need to change them for a turbo application?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Fri, 09 September 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is a bit of a grey area iridiums will last longer but finding the right temp range will take some experimenting im using the iridiums from my 4age in my gze without any problems
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Fri, 09 September 2005 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
after reading www.ngkspark.com.au tech articles, they recommend platinum or iridium for boosted motors due to better igniting properties.
which is true... but if you foul the plugs a lot, then they are maybe a bit harder to clean and more expensive to replace...

then again.,.. they aren't that expensive compared to a broken engine Razz

oh, and as far as heat ranges... 1 or 2 ranges colder? maybe 7's? 8 is getting pretty cold tho... i'd actually call NGK and try and talk to a tech person there...

[Updated on: Fri, 09 September 2005 07:06]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Fri, 09 September 2005 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spark plug = NGK BCPR6EY-8 (0.8mm gap)
DanielGVisser
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Sat, 10 September 2005 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys!

I have also solved my crankshaft problem, just picked up a complete GZE block locally for $100.

Will keep you guys posted and possibly take some photo's when i get my good block & head back from the machine shop.

DanielGVisser
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4A-GTE Buildup Tue, 13 September 2005 01:02 Go to previous message
TE72_Turbo you should have some pm's now. Sorry they have been in the early hours of the morning, been working late.

Engine will be put back together within the next week or so.

Now what colour do i paint it? Very Happy

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:SA63 - 5me
Next Topic:How Much?????
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:18:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0089590549468994 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.