Toymods » General Car Talk » GT4 owners dedicated thread

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 04 September 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whiteline works kit, plus option extra strut braces 2K for the kit plus extra for the strut braces.
  Send a private message to this user    
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 04 September 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YGT04A wrote on Sun, 04 September 2005 16:30

Hi every one

Ok my car needs new suspension and bushes (I love pedder quality)

What are people’s recommendations? I'm looking at spending about 5g

Cheers in advance
Jono

Whiteline works kit is definately a good choice as a suspension package.

If you want better you could always go Tein coilovers... but you would still want the Whiteline rear adjustable swaybar and all the bushes and the strut tower braces.
sikx5
Regular

September 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 04 September 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YGT04A wrote on Sun, 04 September 2005 16:30

Hi every one

Ok my car needs new suspension and bushes (I love pedder quality)

What are people’s recommendations? I'm looking at spending about 5g

Cheers in advance
Jono

Hey mate,
Your looking at spending 5g!! holy crap, well what sort of suspension where you after?? Thats one hell of a large budget there.

I am getting some Tein super streets, will post up when they arrive, but roughly $1900 delivered.

Then im getting all the bushes in polyuthere for the car, Fulcrum guy said rougly $600 for every single bush under the car.

But yeah, tell us what sort of suspension your after? DMS have some great coil overs for $3800 it was, 40mm ones, last time i phoned(ages ago), they are rally orientated ones too.

whiteline also have a great works kit with koni struts, a few members here have them, might be able to shed some more light on that.

Very Happy
esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 04 September 2005 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would go the whiteline kit. When I have everthing working 100% on mine that is what I will be doing.

On further note.
I got my GT4 a couple of days ago. Yay.
I have cleaned it up, Had a crapload of water in exhuast, so it was smoking white for a bit, but after a while it stoped. It is blowing black smoke at high revs, and is running very rich. It isn't using any oil, but could do with a change, and the water in radiator is good. I think however that there is oil coming from the turbo, so It could be a while before I get it on the road. Oh and the power steering is leaking badly, I think the pump is close to being stuffed because the pulley wheel is all over the place. ( why did the pump have to be in the worst place ever.)
Anyway I will be taking it to a mechanic to get it looked over as I don't have a hoist. I was going to go local (Pakenham/Berwick) Does anybody know anywhere this side of Dandy that are realy good with st185's?
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 04 September 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i live close to dandy too.,
we really need to get a gt4 cruise happening.
one dayyy..

[Updated on: Sun, 04 September 2005 10:35]

-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread--ST165 acceleration vid Sun, 04 September 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey all, i took this vid a coupla days ago koz my mate wanted a vid of my 165s acceleration...and i was wondering how it compared to other 165's and 185's, the vid/audio sync is a bit out from the cheap camera, and i dont have the proggy id need to fix it...but anyway can yas let me know how it stands up....st165@ 10-12 psi,pod filter,full time i/c pump mod,zorst.

edit--forgot to post the link for the vid up....im an idiot

http://www.thex12.com/ctech/uploads/-=dv=-/acceler ation2.WMV

[Updated on: Sun, 04 September 2005 11:17]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread--ST165 acceleration vid Sun, 04 September 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I need a mobile phone that can video function ..

BTW - you crunched 2nd a little bit Wink
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 04 September 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2nd and third Razz...thank my clutch and gbox for that..theyve both seen bettr days lol
esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 04 September 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackGT4 wrote on Sun, 04 September 2005 20:32

i live close to dandy too.,
we really need to get a gt4 cruise happening.
one dayyy..

Need to get mine on the road first. Smile
Are there any good mechanics around there, I was thinking of taking mine to Beaconsfeild as I have a friend with a R33 sykline that goes there. They seem to do good work.
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 05 September 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just saw this on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;rd=1&item=4572245537&ssPageName=STRK:ME WA:IT

Sweet collectors item for you die-hard GT4 fans!
YGT04A
Regular

November 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 05 September 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi guys

Thanks for the info

Defiantly going for coil overs I don’t know what brand yet if any as my suspension guy can hand build me variable rate coil overs for my car so I might be getting them depending on price.

Also defiantly getting the adjustable sway bars.

How much difference do the strut braces make on the street?
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 05 September 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey what setting do you guys have on your whiteline rear swaybar???
I feel that the medium setting on both sides suits my driving style and wheel alignment best... just interested to know what everyone else thinks.

Toobs (current) wheel alignment settings
Front
Camber: -1.3deg
Toe (Total): 0.6mm out
Toe (per side): 0.3mm out

Rear
Camber: -2deg
Toe (Total): 0.6mm in
Toe (per side): 0.3mm in
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 05 September 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive got mine on the hardest setting of the 3 ..

Never tried the others to be honest ....

Embarassed
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 05 September 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

just saw this on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;a mp;rd=1&item=4572245537&ssPageName=STRK:ME WA:IT

Sweet collectors item for you die-hard GT4 fans!

Already got one! Laughing
1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 05 September 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
running my swaybar on the medium setting as well

whats the hard setting like stu??

cheers Very Happy
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 05 September 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use the hardest setting available.

I like my car oversteery on demand. Able to get it sideways without too much effort.
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 05 September 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, thats a good question, which setting is the hard setting? the one furthest away from the bar, or the other way around?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 06 September 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i could tell ya but its not here - though i believe its the closest to the bar - ie make the travel distance shorter - less flex = hardest ..

I find it fine for town or fun to be honest - but as said - i havent tried the other settings
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 06 September 2005 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the setting at the very end of the bar is the softest.

Hardest makes the car feel too much like its going to oversteer for me.
Middle is pretty well balanced.
Softest leaves the car as an understeering biatch.

But then its very dependant on your wheel alignment too... if I wasn't running much camber at the rear it would probably feel like oversteering at the middle setting.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 06 September 2005 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs -> my guess would be it's not so much the camber as it would be the toe-in.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 06 September 2005 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok that's it

my seat broke, someone give me ST165 seats now! Mad Wink Smile
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 06 September 2005 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just buy a st165 rob - they come with those seats standard Wink
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 06 September 2005 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are they as good as the ST185 seats i was impressed with the ones in the car i checked out, height lumber adjusment etc pretty good for their age. Nothing beats the seats in our old Pajero though they were gas lift like the trucks so they absorbed all the bumps for you. Very Happy
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 06 September 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha you just reminded me of my step mums old patrol with those gas lift seats... one of them was busted and you might as well have been sitting on a milk crate!
YGT04A
Regular

November 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 06 September 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi guys

Dose any one have a spare gear leaver or know where to get one?
As the bloke I got my car off had the group A leaver extended so it is now longer than the standard gt4 Confused And I dont want to go trying to get it apart with out a spare just in case.

Cheers
Jono
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 06 September 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just pull the boot down...and attack it with a grinder and get an aftermarket knob on it....if u really want a spare..contact toyospares in melbourne, theyre cheap,reliable and fast
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 06 September 2005 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You would have to be insane to f'ck with a group a gear lever... its perfect!
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 06 September 2005 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much of a difference will I notice once I turn my boost up 2 10 pound in all gears? because with the 3 inch exaust its not as quick as I thought it would be and 1st gear feels like it doesn't have much at all anyone else feel there 1st gear is underpowered?

I'm sure a pod filter will make 1st gear feel much more powerful? Can anyone tell me if they have had a stock st185 then put a 3 inch exaust form turbo back on it, then performed the above mods I have mentioned. Let me know what the power increase was like?

Thanks

Andrew
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 06 September 2005 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 3" made a big difference on mine. Maybe more so because I am running a hi-flow ct26.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 07 September 2005 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
da_foles wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 00:51

How much of a difference will I notice once I turn my boost up 2 10 pound in all gears? because with the 3 inch exaust its not as quick as I thought it would be and 1st gear feels like it doesn't have much at all anyone else feel there 1st gear is underpowered?

I'm sure a pod filter will make 1st gear feel much more powerful? Can anyone tell me if they have had a stock st185 then put a 3 inch exaust form turbo back on it, then performed the above mods I have mentioned. Let me know what the power increase was like?

Thanks

Andrew

dude u seem to place too much faith in mods such as a pod filter and a bigger exhaust..expecting huge gains when in real life u only really get up to 10 kw with the combination, anyway u will notice pretty decent gains from upping ur boost, just make sure u disable ur tvsv before u do run more boost, once u do u will find that 1st and 2nd dont feel underpowered anymore

[Updated on: Wed, 07 September 2005 00:29]

Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 07 September 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Drove the Celica for the first time in 2 weeks today.

Damn I love that car Smile
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 07 September 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm booked in for a dyno power run tomorrow. shootout mode.
not too sure what to expect at this stage.
its a rebuilt 3sgte with forged pistons, head work, hiflow ct26,3" aussie dump, front pipe+ hiflow cat.converter. and stock boost!! so thats going to be my downside.
anyone wanna guess? i'll post my results tomorrow.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 07 September 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YGT04A wrote on Tue, 06 September 2005 22:10

Hi guys

Dose any one have a spare gear leaver or know where to get one?
As the bloke I got my car off had the group A leaver extended so it is now longer than the standard gt4 Confused And I dont want to go trying to get it apart with out a spare just in case.

Cheers
Jono

I have a stock st185 one if you want - no knob on it - but the unit is complete and in VGC
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 07 September 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys got my car back from mechanics yesterday after gettin the alternator checked up, and checking all the tuning. The mechanic told me everythin is in good order except the injectors r dirty and clogged. He said when they r warm they r supposed to be open 3mm but r open 8mm and said they will need to be pulled out and cleaned and so on which is gonna be like 200 bucks. Just wondering whether this sounds like a fair price and if it doesn't sound like bullshit?
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 07 September 2005 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll guess 120awkw BlackGT4 Smile standard boost is defintely gonna be lettin u down.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 07 September 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
re injectors that sounds about right Smile once they are taken in and out , seals replaced , cleaned etc

im going 125 ish for black gt4

intercooling and ecu + boost will limit its potential
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 07 September 2005 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx stu, i have been puttin some injector cleaner stuff through the petrol which has made it better but they aparently too clogged so will need to come out and get cleaned.
sikx5
Regular

September 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 07 September 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im goin around 120ish for blackGT4 for as well. Thats some decent mods there dude! Are you going for a aftermarket ECU or just getting a boost controller?

Be sure to post up the dyno sheet for us. Very Happy

BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 07 September 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks man,
i'm thinking about going for a greddy e-manage. not a standalone, but a "piggyback".
i'm going around to get some quotes on fitting the wta tomorrow aswell.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 September 2005 05:08]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 07 September 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blackgt4

if you can hang out a little bit - my AVO electronic boost controller and FCD will be coming up for grabs in the near future ...

Im going to be switching to complete standalone managemewnt so it sorta makes the HKS fcd and boosty controller redundant
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 07 September 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds good!
assuming you still have those on your car. let me know when you are ready to part with them.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 07 September 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup they are on the car atm .. I have to get the latest series of repairs and brakework finished - then take it back down to melb to have them removed , and the Gt4 retuned again to run standalone on the wolf ..

Im expecting at around another 10 - 15 KW atw once this happens also - seeing it will not need to have anything overridden
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 07 September 2005 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow i just discovered that there is a newer version of the emanage, called the eManage Ultimate. and nengun.com have it at a very reasonable price.
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 08 September 2005 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
112.5kw, so abit more work to do.
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 08 September 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was closest Razz Thats a pretty good result for standard boost though. Post dyno pics up Very Happy
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 08 September 2005 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Tue, 06 September 2005 23:06

You would have to be insane to f'ck with a group a gear lever... its perfect!

ive never used a grp A shifter Sad...although i do know the 165 shifters look like a shifter out of the floor of an old truck with a toyota knob on the end...feel surprisingly good though when u consider the length
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 08 September 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The group A shifter is shorter length and stroke to the standard 185 shifter... the 185 shifter feels like you're driving a truck by comparison.
esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 08 September 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My GT4 has a short shifter, If only it had a decent gearbox.

I need to get mine closer to stock so I can get a roadworthy, thenwhen I have the money up I will mod it a bit. Have to get it running right first.
I'm pretty dure my turbo is allowing oil to get into the engine. Slight amount of oil around the trumpet on the blow off valve. And engine blows smoke when under load. I htink it is turbo seals? Not sure as I know bugger all about turbos, but it still boosts ok. If i need seals, do I need to reco? Or should I try to get a new turbo, or high flow. I read somewhere that garret were going to do cores for the ct26 as they were rather popular. Has anybody heard anything like this? If so I would be rather interested.
tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 08 September 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some oil around the BOV outlet is normal, its from the PCV. If there's bucketloads of it then somethings wrong. When you say smoke under load, do you mean under boost? Cos they usually blow smoke under full boost due to running rich. If it's blue smoke under any kinda load, or at idle, like my car WAS doing,then theres problems Smile
sikx5
Regular

September 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 08 September 2005 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackGT4 wrote on Thu, 08 September 2005 10:01

112.5kw, so abit more work to do.

Good stuff there dude, it was like the car wants to break free there for sure man, Stock Group A is meant to be rated at 110kw at 4's too....good stuff man!

on another note:

!!!!!!!!!
http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_conten t.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2575813&current_r ec=23&used_rec=7&total_rec=27&sort_typ e=&total_rec=27&sort_type=&keyword=GT4 &state_id=-1&search_distance=25

!!!!!!!!!!!

one beautiful group A! Black!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 08 September 2005 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20g!!! is that really what they are worth!!!

spose its a collectors item, but damn!!!

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 08 September 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm $20k ay... wonder what mine would go for:
http://www.elektranix.com/images/ST185R/lookout.jpg
sikx5
Regular

September 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 09 September 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^ Dude...dont you get tired of posting the same old picture over and over again? no offence or anythin, but go out and take some new shots.... Very Happy

If i lived in sydney we'd be doin a photoshoot, but alas im up here in sunny old QLD. Cool
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 09 September 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha yeah its one of the only pictures I've got of my car at work.
Theres heaps more at home though.
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 09 September 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20 k for a Gt4, ouch all I can say haha
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 09 September 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
da_foles wrote on Fri, 09 September 2005 11:47

20 k for a Gt4, ouch all I can say haha

It is a GT4 Group A though. There is a difference!
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 09 September 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I guessm but still he will be pretty happy if he gets taht much for it. I'm sure someone will buy it though. I would if I had the dollars.
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 09 September 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
O yeah scratched my mag the other day while parking at work there a month old and its about 6 inch's long so pissed off hey haha. o well buy another one it can be my spare.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 09 September 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats around how much ill be asking if mine ever comes up for sale ...
YGT04A
Regular

November 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 09 September 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
When I got mine the guy was asking 23 for it

Looks like I will be putting custom suspension in my car as apparently Tein dont make coil overs for our cars any more.

So I'm probably getting Billstine inserts and Eibach springs
Pages (23): [ «  <  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Just Car Insurance am teh winner Just Car > all
Next Topic:wolf 3d V4....how much are they?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:32:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010380983352661 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.