Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
godsend
Regular

February 2005
icon8.gif  Petrol Prices Tue, 06 September 2005 12:59 Go to next message
i live in the n/w suburbs of melb... on the way home from uni i saw prices for unleaded go upto 138.9 per litre Shocked it was only around 125ish in the morning... wats the go with the sudden price hike

wat are ppl from other states n cities paying for a litre of petrol these days?
  Send a private message to this user    
Sprinter Adam
Regular

July 2005
Re: Petrol Prices Tue, 06 September 2005 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, apparently in a few weeks here in SA they say it may reach the 1.60 mark Sad
ae80
Regular

August 2004
Re: Petrol Prices Tue, 06 September 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=78869&start=0&rid=6741&S=fb4a5f32d35 402c49e94518a418bd502

Knock yourself out.
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Petrol Prices Tue, 06 September 2005 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i payed $27 for 18.5 litres of fuel last night.
FFS!! Mad
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Petrol Prices Tue, 06 September 2005 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Premium 8000 @ mobil was up to 148 cents!

I was like fuck that, i just chucked in $5 and decided i'll goto united for their ethanol stuff which is like 120c
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sigh. I remember paying less than 40c/litre when I started driving, and it wasn't even that long ago. Sad
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 12:14

Sigh. I remember paying less than 40c/litre when I started driving, and it wasn't even that long ago. Sad

I remember thinking 80 was high, and I wouldn't pay that much! Sad Now it's getting close to twice that.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe yeah i remember my dad bitching about paying 60+ cents a litre when i was younger, since i have had my car i can't remember it being any less than say 87cents a litre.
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a disgrace. fukcing ridiculous that its up at 140 now. i knew it was going to get there eventually, but this is the most obscene rise in prices ever! i cant remember the last time (if ever) fuel jumped so much so quick. since the beginning of the year it has increased by almost 50%!

im glad i work 10 miuntes from home.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ViPeR_NiPPleX wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 09:57

Premium 8000 @ mobil was up to 148 cents!

I was like fuck that, i just chucked in $5 and decided i'll goto united for their ethanol stuff which is like 120c

ethanol ey.... where do i get some of this stuff Rolling Eyes

funny how shell (Jacana) was set to 1.39!!! and caltex (Broadmeadows) down the road was 1.24 Rolling Eyes Laughing like 2mins drive of each other Laughing Razz
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It was 139.9 yesterday for regular unleaded. My mechanic said this morning he got it for 132.0 himself.

Shit it's crazy how fast its going up. If you stop and think about when we were like shit it's gone over a dollar. Then up to like 119 and everyone was looking out for places that were 97c/Litre and about 2 weeks ago it hit 1.30 and now 1.40.

Interest rates won't be going up for a long time yet.
Roundy
Regular

April 2005
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol yeah have that sorta price difference in dubbo

Shell 126.9
Bp Across the road 137.9

wtf?? what chance does BP have? and the price of shell is effectively 4c cheaper due to coles.

Tho the prices are just stupid, time to get a motor bike Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

since the beginning of the year it has increased by almost 50%

Yep, and my jerry can full of unleaded fuel for the mower is turning out to be a tidy little investment, I purchased 10L of ULP at 87c/L now the same petrol station near my place wants $1.40/L. Not many other items have increased in value that much in 7 months Laughing

Now who wants to buy my 10L at the bargain price of $1.15/L Evil or Very Mad
suthol
Occasional Poster

February 2003
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And to think I sold my 6cyl Holden PV in 1976 because it was too expensive to run when the price reached 75c a gallon or 16.6c a litre.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wish petrol was around 16.6c/ltr now days. Sad

You know why this has happened though. The invasion of Iraq is what's pushed oil prices through the roof. I would not be surprised if American companies where helping them hike the oil prices up.

Why doesn't our govornment cut petrol tax? Oooh thats right, they don't give a stuff about anyone who isn't rich.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
read the other thread the war in iraq is only one factor the biggest factor is CHINA and there massive growth they are sucking the worlds resources dry because they are expanding very fast and they are just too big for us to keep up.

Basically once china's growth stabilises we'll see prices start to drop again, not neglecting the war in iraq or the fact that we just lost all bar about on or two oil rigs in the gulf of mexico where a shedload of oil comes from.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wonder if i can build a car powered by 2 washingmachine motors and like 20 alternators?
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there was a guy that built a go-kart running on water. Water was converted to hydrogen and so fourth. But it was never sold has world leaders agreed that it could damage the economy.
So the next best safe thing will probably be electricity if theres a sortage in oil.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
electricity powered vehicles still damage the environment though as the electricity used to run them is created by burning coal hmmm solution i think not.
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 14:30

electricity powered vehicles still damage the environment though as the electricity used to run them is created by burning coal hmmm solution i think not.

I never said that it didnt
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shareholders dont care about pollution.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Quote:

there was a guy that built a go-kart running on water

I had a combi van that was powered by love Heart
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well coal is gonna run out around the same time as oil so its not a solution, ethanol is but at the moment it takes more energy to produce it then is gained from burning it lol Laughing
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bubbles wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 14:28

there was a guy that built a go-kart running on water. Water was converted to hydrogen and so fourth. But it was never sold has world leaders agreed that it could damage the economy.

Either that or it never sold because it was a giant scam. Where did the huge amount of power required to split water into H2 and O2 come from?

EDIT: I just realised that was a post by Bubbles. I feel like an idiot for even replying to such drivel. Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Wed, 07 September 2005 04:47]

bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont no much of detail, but it was in the early 90's and allot of economists hated him. He was in hiding at one stage.

bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 14:46

Either that or it never sold because it was a giant scam. Where did the huge amount of power required to split water into H2 and O2 come from?

EDIT: I just realised that was a post by Bubbles. I feel like an idiot for even replying to such drivel. Rolling Eyes

Thats ok, you problably think you no better.
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and to back it up (sad, very sad)

http://www.spiritofmaat.com/archive/watercar/h20ca r2.htm
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and bmw running on hydrogen
http://www.indiadaily.com/editorial/08-26d-04.asp
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bubbles wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 14:51

LOL! The pseudo-science BS in that article makes me chortle.

Quote:

This engine was mounted on a lab bench in a garage area, with the door open for ventilation. On the floor were thirteen half-gallon containers linked together with tubes, all connected to a central, larger tube that ran directly to the carburetor of the motor.

In the containers was ordinary water plus an electrolyte (i.e., some type of salt).

When a piece of metal alloy was dropped into the electrolyte mixture, hydrogen instantly began to form at an amazing rate. The hydrogen gas traveled to a main tube, and from there straight to the carburetor.

Anyone with a year-12 level understanding of chemistry can see the energy is coming from converting a substance at a high energy level (the piece of alloy) to a lower energy level (oxidised metal). And where did that piece of alloy come from? Oh that's right, massive smelters which use eleventy billion watts of electricity to convert ore into metal. Rolling Eyes

The rest of the article is just as bad from the parts I skimmed over, but a fundamental understanding of the laws of thermodynamics is enough to convince anyone that you can't get energy out of water. The device mentioned in the article above uses water as part of a chemical reaction, but none of the energy actually comes from water.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Another Amazing Breakthrough

Rothman Technologies, Inc., also has another method of converting water to fuel. It's called electrolysis.

Electrolysis! What an amazing breakthrough!!! Wow, why didn't all those scientists think of this? The guy is obviously a genius, way ahead of his time. No wonder he had to go into hiding.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 15:12

Quote:

Rothman Technologies, Inc., also has another method of converting water to fuel. It's called electrolysis.

Electrolysis! What an amazing breakthrough!!! Wow, why didn't all those scientists think of this? The guy is obviously a genius, way ahead of his time. No wonder he had to go into hiding.

bwahahhahaha whats that about year 7 science i think we did an electrolysis experiment then
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive always wanted to play around with electrolosis to supplament the supply of petrol on a little combustion engine like a 3K-C.

U shaped container with 2 electrodes one on each side of the U, one electrode catches oxygen the other catches hydrogen then send them (somehow safely) in with the petrol.

all for fun really, but wont try it until i have a skid farm.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 14:21

read the other thread the war in iraq is only one factor the biggest factor is CHINA and there massive growth they are sucking the worlds resources dry because they are expanding very fast and they are just too big for us to keep up.

Basically once china's growth stabilises we'll see prices start to drop again, not neglecting the war in iraq or the fact that we just lost all bar about on or two oil rigs in the gulf of mexico where a shedload of oil comes from.

hasnt hurricane katrina also affected petrol prices due to refineries being damaged?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not just refineries it fucked of all bar one or two oil rigs in the gulf of mexico. Shocked
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man, these prices are getting stupidly expensive. last night i put 25L in for 35$, was like 1.40 a L, jus for the normal stuff. then this morning, on tv, they said that we gotta bite the bullet n fill up cause its only gonna go higher! wtf. how much is it gonna come to? soon, very soon $2 a L or sufmin stupid.
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 15:12

Quote:

If you knew this, why did you ask me? Rolling Eyes
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bubbles wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 17:30

WTF? My question was "where did the energy come from to create the hydrogen?" (Electrolysis requires a lot of power to create a small amount of H2 and O2 from water). I didn't see an answer to that in any of the web sites you posted.
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 17:34

bubbles wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 17:30

WTF? My question was "where did the energy come from to create the hydrogen?" (Electrolysis requires a lot of power to create a small amount of H2 and O2 from water). I didn't see an answer to that in any of the web sites you posted.

I dont need to answer this. Your too smart.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 14:32

well coal is gonna run out around the same time as oil so its not a solution, ethanol is but at the moment it takes more energy to produce it then is gained from burning it lol Laughing

Actualy it doesn't.
To distill ethanol, uses about 40% of the power that it then produces. And thats with our current distillation methods (which aren't great I hear).

Cars that can run on a mix of ethanol and petrol should have been in mass productions years ago. Ethanol isn't the solution, but it's a great way to thin out the oil supplies while we come up with something else. But ofcourse we wont do that.

Atleast with ethanol we still get a conventional engine (that we can modify like a current engine). I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy modding an electric engine (if you even can!). Sad
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am talking US spec ethanol here produced thru distilling maize (corn) it'd be cheaper to use sugar cane aka north QLD. There was a report released only weeks ago about it saying that it was taking more energy to convert the maize into ethanol than the energy gained from burning it. Very Happy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's not just distilling the ethanol, you also have to take into account the cost of cultivating the base product, harvesting it, transporting it, and all the rest. Very large amounts of diesel fuel involved there! That's why ethanol is not currently viable in terms of reducing fossil fuel usage - although I suppose it could improve as volumes increase and production methods are improved.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"electricity powered vehicles still damage the environment though as the electricity used to run them is created by burning coal hmmm solution i think not."

Not here in tas, Hyrdro power my friend! all the electricity in this state is generated from flowing water. But apparently dam levels are getting dangerously low and if it keeps up will have to shut down power stations. We have a Wind farm up north that is generating enuf power to drive 100,000 homes or so i hear.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 September 2005 12:28]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 15:06

bubbles wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 14:51

LOL! The pseudo-science BS in that article makes me chortle.

Quote:

This engine was mounted on a lab bench in a garage area, with the door open for ventilation. On the floor were thirteen half-gallon containers linked together with tubes, all connected to a central, larger tube that ran directly to the carburetor of the motor.

In the containers was ordinary water plus an electrolyte (i.e., some type of salt).

When a piece of metal alloy was dropped into the electrolyte mixture, hydrogen instantly began to form at an amazing rate. The hydrogen gas traveled to a main tube, and from there straight to the carburetor.

Anyone with a year-12 level understanding of chemistry can see the energy is coming from converting a substance at a high energy level (the piece of alloy) to a lower energy level (oxidised metal). And where did that piece of alloy come from? Oh that's right, massive smelters which use eleventy billion watts of electricity to convert ore into metal. Rolling Eyes

The rest of the article is just as bad from the parts I skimmed over, but a fundamental understanding of the laws of thermodynamics is enough to convince anyone that you can't get energy out of water. The device mentioned in the article above uses water as part of a chemical reaction, but none of the energy actually comes from water.

it's easy to make a shiteload of hydrogen by putting aluminium into concentrated caustic soda solution (ie NaOH.. a sort of salt Wink )

we used to make little rockety things with coke bottles and the like...

NaOH aint free, aluminium uses truckloads of electricity.. you could use iron i spose, but what a shitty way to do it.

ahh bubbles Wink
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 21:46

It's not just distilling the ethanol, you also have to take into account the cost of cultivating the base product, harvesting it, transporting it, and all the rest. Very large amounts of diesel fuel involved there! That's why ethanol is not currently viable in terms of reducing fossil fuel usage - although I suppose it could improve as volumes increase and production methods are improved.

i was of the understanding that at the moment it is viable for aussie farmers to produce it, but that the government would not guarantee a grace period where it was not taxed (like for diesel and LPG), and as such, when it was ready to hit the market in 2-3 years, the 50% or so tax would price it out of the market....

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

So the next best safe thing will probably be electricity if theres a sortage in oil.

hogwash.
thats just dumb to even think that..

fwiw, toyota have 6 cars currently leased out that use fuel cells combined with electric motors.

quite a few cars in the toyota range are available with petrol/electric hybrid systems

and fwiw, i work with ppl who are devloping both solid oxide fuel cells (high temp) and polymer fuel cells (low temp) so no more bubbles crap on that please..

Quote:

The environment is experiencing tremendous problems at the moment, and one of the most serious of these is that we are losing our oxygen. The oxygen content of the air is becoming so low that it threatens our very existence in some areas. The normal oxygen content of our air is 21 percent. But in some places it is only a fraction of that! In Tokyo, Japan, for example, the oxygen content of the air has dipped to 6 or 7 percent. If it reaches 5 percent, people will begin to die. Tokyo has even put oxygen disbursement centers on its street corners, so that people can get emergency oxygen if they need it.

AHHAHHAHHAHAHHHAHAHA Laughing Laughing Laughing
what a crock of shit.
we had oxygen alarm systems in my old lab to tell us when O2 got below 19%.
tokyo has normal oxygen levels.. otherwise i would have died in a nightclub last friday Razz

there are tubes of oxygen in stores, but are a) a gimmick, and b) directed towrd ppl who are going mountain climbing (like the hundreds of thousands of ppl who climb mt fuji every year)

BWAAHAHHAHAH... ppl are gonna start dying in tokyo from lack of oxygen... ahhhh.. sigh....
good to se that ppl look at their links before posting Razz
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 21:57

"electricity powered vehicles still damage the environment though as the electricity used to run them is created by burning coal hmmm solution i think not."

Not here in tas, Hyrdro power my friend! all the electricity in this state is generated from flowing water. But apparently dam levels are getting dangerously low and if it keeps up will have to shut down power stations. We have a Wind farm up north that is generating enuf power to drive 100,000 homes or so i hear.

Yeah hydro is not really a perfect solution, taking energy from the water doesn't come without a cost! Solar is about as good as it gets, but we are struggling to make it efficient enough to be practical. With any energy resource, you have to consider how much energy is used to create and distribute the resource, I'd be tempted to say off the top of my head that hydrogen is a more efficient form of power than oil (because of the amount of energy required to create and distribute fossil fuels isn't amazingly favourable).

Secondly - why do I care about all this anyway? I get around on a Kwakka ZZR250 or a bus, so getting places costs me SFA.

BWAHAHAHAH Razz
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 23:16

Quote:

The environment is experiencing tremendous problems at the moment, and one of the most serious of these is that we are losing our oxygen. The oxygen content of the air is becoming so low that it threatens our very existence in some areas. The normal oxygen content of our air is 21 percent. But in some places it is only a fraction of that! In Tokyo, Japan, for example, the oxygen content of the air has dipped to 6 or 7 percent. If it reaches 5 percent, people will begin to die. Tokyo has even put oxygen disbursement centers on its street corners, so that people can get emergency oxygen if they need it.

AHHAHHAHHAHAHHHAHAHA Laughing Laughing Laughing
what a crock of shit.
we had oxygen alarm systems in my old lab to tell us when O2 got below 19%.
tokyo has normal oxygen levels.. otherwise i would have died in a nightclub last friday Razz
Laughing Laughing 6-7% oxygen in tokyo? HAHAHAHAHA - that's the dumbest thing I've heard all week, and I work at a pizza store where people ask stupid crap like "What's on your 'Meat' pizza? Does it have olives?"
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bah! it could be done more efficiently but overall the electricy generated from hydro is world class here in tas.

It could only be argued that it's not 100% env friendly due to the energy and materials used in contructing the power stations, and infrastructure to carry the electricty.

Solar panels get that same argument. Apparenlty some jap boffins have got solar panels to a 70% effieciency in converting sunlight into electricty, if true that is impressive.

Whats the ZZR250 like?
Looking into a honda cbr250rr becuase honda build some ultra reliable motors. But have also heard the zzr's are a good choice.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as for hydrogen economy, there are a couple of european towns that are vying to become the first to run on the hydrogen economy, using wind and solar to provide hydrogen...

i think it's neat Very Happy

when polymer fuel cells get their efficiency up and cost down, and hydrogen containment methods improve, we will quickly see it's implementation in production vehicles...

fwiw also, one of the worlds leading fuel cell researchers (from the UK.. buggered if i can remember his name), calculated that with the worlds current supply of platinum, using ALL of it to make current technology fuel cells wuld make 100,000cars per year.. no more...

so that is another reason it is not viable yet.. they need to find mroe abundant/cheaper materials to actually be able to make 'commercial' quantities....
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling wrote on Thu, 08 September 2005 00:00

bah! it could be done more efficiently but overall the electricy generated from hydro is world class here in tas.

It could only be argued that it's not 100% env friendly due to the energy and materials used in contructing the power stations, and infrastructure to carry the electricty.

Solar panels get that same argument. Apparenlty some jap boffins have got solar panels to a 70% effieciency in converting sunlight into electricty, if true that is impressive.

Whats the ZZR250 like?
Looking into a honda cbr250rr becuase honda build some ultra reliable motors. But have also heard the zzr's are a good choice.

a few years ago, UNSW had the highest spec solar panels.. irc it was around 23-25%?? 70% sounds a little high.. or maybe i have my number mixed...

ZZR250 is a bike that i actually fit on, and would be my choice for learner bike Razz (i also fit on triumph 600 and hayabusa Razz)

http://www.pv.unsw.edu.au/research/achievements.as p

[Updated on: Wed, 07 September 2005 14:08]

dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
linki thought you might be interested in oldcorollas (new way of storing hydrogen)

http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/05/09/07/121 5256.shtml?tid=232

i'm 6'5" i already look stupid riding a postie bike, so zzr is good for tall ppl? can only be an improvement in any case.

I will try dig the link up on the %70 conversion efficient solar panels.
(will need them for my electric car with solar body panels you see Rolling Eyes)

ok i will have a better look tommorow, getting to tired and not finding it. Pretty sure it was either sharp or kyochera, and i might also have my numbers mixed up, will find out tommorow.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 September 2005 14:17]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mm purdy Smile there has been quite a lot of money pured into hydrogen binding of ceramics and the like... main problems have been density of fuel stored, ease and safety of recharging with hydrogen, and controlled release..

it's not a matter of if it will happen.. it's a metter of when it will happen, and you can be sure that oil companies will be amoung the first to snap up shares in startups, becuase they know how much money there is to be made (ie with BP buying rights to solar cells from UNSW.. and then supplying the solar cells for the sydney olympic village Wink )
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
solar cell efficiency table as at mid 2003 (newer version are available, but need a Wiley Interscience subscription)

http://www.pv.unsw.edu.au/documents/Records_v22_20 03.pdf
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There was a good show on freedom TV (winamp shoutcast TV)
that has a segment that repeats every week on cars of the future.
The guy that invented some form of recharable battery (nickel hydryde or something like that) converted his toyota prius to hydrogen powered. He also invented a way to store the hydrogen kind of like a sponge, and something about the hydrogen bieng a solid form. GM apparntly want to use his idea and put this sponge stuff inside the actual car body (ie inside structual pipes and things that are used to give the car strength, ridgedy etc).

And so essentially in the event of a crash your fuel tank is now going to be used to absorb impact, sounds pretty nutty, but a good watch.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
coolies, looking forward to links Smile
there is so much new shit coming out it7s hard to keep track of, but the solid binding of hydrogen was pretty important for car companies.. heck look what happened to ford? when they had tyre problems and fuel tank ruptures...

yah a mate who's 6'1 had ZZR.. he's now got a ninja600... i'm only 6` but the ZZR fit nicely... esp compared to CBR250.. the kwakkas seem to be generally good for taller peeps... ducati = shortasses Wink othr than that, the upright bikes like Zeal fit ok.. but you look a bit silly Razz
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Petrol Prices Wed, 07 September 2005 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I recommend with bikes that you just go around and try out *everything* you can, and just see what works and what doesn't. ZZR250 is reasonable but they are so gutless it's not funny Smile I can only *just* lift the front end when accelerating in first. ZX2Rs are another option as a learners bike (from the Kwakka brigade), they are a bit heavier and I'm not really sure how they feel, the ZZR is pretty popular cause it's a bit lighter and more nimble.

I'm 5'9 and in pretty decent shape so I fit on just about anything Japanese, but some are more comfy than others and some of the heavier bikes feel a bit cumbersome on me (i'm 67kg/featherweight size), they need to be muscled a bit more as I don't have the weight to lean them over.

But enough about bikes Razz
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Petrol Prices Sat, 10 September 2005 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I remember reading somewhere that we are actually not running out of oil, it's just a fraud, as an excuse to raise oil price, in fact we are running into more oil that we can ever burn, it mentions that more coal, oil and fuel are being created everyday by the hot earth's center, and coal & fuel is actually not "fossil fuel" as we were told, it's actually just some normal "Hydrocarbons HCOs" as every other natural thing on earth, not sure if it's true...

But the way the world is so totally addicted with oil, it sure is a great way to control the economics, population and even the world! Surprised

With some search on the internet, there's even information of great inventors decades ago who have invented combustion engines which are way more efficient than today's design, but instead are threaten, humuliated, arrested, jailed, or just forced out of existence, not sure if it's true either...

The topic about electrolysis is very much debated, but I've heard 2 rumours, #1, electrolysis can be archieved by a "catalyst", catalytic conversion without energy input? (high school chemistry, sounds possible), and the 2nd rumour, Hydrogen and Oxygen can be separated by a resonating frequency (high school physics, we know that energy can be converted to sound energy very easily and efficiently, and all objects have a frequency where they will start to shake, thinning out such object making the destruction much easier, sounds possible too)

Many people take the "Conservation of Energy" for granted, what, just if I say, what if this is a big lie, or started off as a big mistake, but turned into a lie, or the Conservation of Energy is just not what we all know about, just a very daring suggestion...

Also I've got 3 little things that I've got in my mind, that I don't have the answer to, but is really worth thinking about...

Why does spliting the atom create so much energy? Where does the energy come from? Is this consistent with "Conservation of Energy"?

Why does your split system air-conditioning produce about 7.5kW of cooling/heating by consuming only 2.5kW of energy???

You know there's electrons that keeps revolving around atoms, can you stop these atoms spinning??

[Updated on: Sat, 10 September 2005 17:07]

mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Petrol Prices Sun, 11 September 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86tt wrote on Sun, 11 September 2005 03:05

I remember reading somewhere that we are actually not running out of oil, it's just a fraud, as an excuse to raise oil price, in fact we are running into more oil that we can ever burn, it mentions that more coal, oil and fuel are being created everyday by the hot earth's center, and coal & fuel is actually not "fossil fuel" as we were told, it's actually just some normal "Hydrocarbons HCOs" as every other natural thing on earth, not sure if it's true...

But the way the world is so totally addicted with oil, it sure is a great way to control the economics, population and even the world! Surprised

With some search on the internet, there's even information of great inventors decades ago who have invented combustion engines which are way more efficient than today's design, but instead are threaten, humuliated, arrested, jailed, or just forced out of existence, not sure if it's true either...

The topic about electrolysis is very much debated, but I've heard 2 rumours, #1, electrolysis can be archieved by a "catalyst", catalytic conversion without energy input? (high school chemistry, sounds possible), and the 2nd rumour, Hydrogen and Oxygen can be separated by a resonating frequency (high school physics, we know that energy can be converted to sound energy very easily and efficiently, and all objects have a frequency where they will start to shake, thinning out such object making the destruction much easier, sounds possible too)

Many people take the "Conservation of Energy" for granted, what, just if I say, what if this is a big lie, or started off as a big mistake, but turned into a lie, or the Conservation of Energy is just not what we all know about, just a very daring suggestion...

Also I've got 3 little things that I've got in my mind, that I don't have the answer to, but is really worth thinking about...

Why does spliting the atom create so much energy? Where does the energy come from? Is this consistent with "Conservation of Energy"?

Why does your split system air-conditioning produce about 7.5kW of cooling/heating by consuming only 2.5kW of energy???

You know there's electrons that keeps revolving around atoms, can you stop these atoms spinning??

i think anyone who tells you we are NOT running out of fossil fuels is the same type of conspiricy theorist that wraps their head in alfoil so the cia doesnt steal their thoughts.

there isnt much to be disputed about conservation of energy laws. energy from splitting the atom comes from the strong nuclear force (i think, please dont flame me). this is consistent with COE laws.

read the specs on your aircon again.

electrons are part of the atom, they revolve around the nucleus. i dont think you can stop them moving. why would you want to anyway?

chris
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Petrol Prices Sun, 11 September 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86tt -> all of science is just theory, so you are right to question it but without relevant proof of a better theory then generally we stick with what we've got. For example in answer to your question about 'electrons' spinning -> we don't actually know if electrons revolve per se, or if they are actually a solid ball-shaped thing or if they look like the playboy bunny logo.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Petrol Prices Sun, 11 September 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
And yeah it comes from nuclear force, which to be honest is a bit mysterious.

I guess this kind of theory is quite old, but there are three basic forces in the universe. Electrical, gravitational and nuclear. To be honest, how firing a neutron into a nuclear core causes it to split and release energy is a bit of a quandary to me as well.
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what does it take to get forum junkie staus
Next Topic:Poll: Black Or Silver Rims?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 21:31:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0080130100250244 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.