Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Torque Wrench Tue, 06 September 2005 03:06 Go to next message
As stated: i need a torque wrench.
Anyone got one in good nick OR can recommend where/what to buy / how much to spend?

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Torque Wrench Tue, 06 September 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingchrome make one that does a large range 8 to 200 or something for about $80 from bunnings
Scootaphill
Regular

November 2004
Re: Torque Wrench Tue, 06 September 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would you trust an $80 torque wrench to do up your mains, big ends or head bolts.

Sometimes it pay's to pay for quality. go to your local tool shop and see what they have to offer.

cheers

phill

ps i dont own one, but have access to a Snap-on one Smile
kennef
Newcomer

September 2005
icon10.gif  Re: Torque Wrench Tue, 06 September 2005 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd go with the Kinchrome over snapon any day...

I have the $80 one and it has served me well on three different head jobs Smile and two bottom ends.
chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Re: Torque Wrench Tue, 06 September 2005 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How will i know what is a good one at the tool shop?
kennef
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: Torque Wrench Tue, 06 September 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check how many Nm or LbFt it will adjust to, get a feel for the ratchet (clicking) you'll know what feels good and what feels dodgy and make sure its a 1/2" drive. Just as important as the wrench is the socket get a Sidchrome or Kinchrome. Definitely worth the extra couple of dollars. If you strip a head bolt - which you can do with a cheap socket, you're stuffed.
Choony_AE86
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: Torque Wrench Wed, 07 September 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$80 doesnt mean its dodgy or not quality goodness, kingchrome are always good for torque wrenches, i've used a mates and its easy and feels good to use (oh so pleasurable)

I bought mine from Total Tools, their cheapest one was $100 (i bought this one) to about $400 or $500 for their most expensive one.

Good luck
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: Torque Wrench Wed, 07 September 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingchrome ones are on sale at gasweld this month..

ive got one.. seems fine to me.. *IF* i was building race engines all day, i could probably justify a $500 one..
Scootaphill
Regular

November 2004
Re: Torque Wrench Wed, 07 September 2005 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrishulbert wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 09:18

How will i know what is a good one at the tool shop?

IMO Talk to them see what they have to say... go to a couple of shops if your not sure. its a tool you will have for a lifetime.

im not dissing the kingcrome torque wrench it may be more than suitable to your needs.

good luck

phill
chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Re: Torque Wrench Thu, 08 September 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The kingchrome will be more than enough - i'm just putting a head onto a precrossflow ford engine Wink
Thanks for the tips guys.
Blackers
Regular

October 2004
Re: Torque Wrench Fri, 09 September 2005 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have 5 tension wrenches from 3/8 dial type inch pound to a 3/4 650ft/lb jobbie, 4 of which are CAT/Snap On and the one for home is a $60 whoflungdung from Bunnings. ALL have been calibrated every 3 months for the last 4-7 years and ALL have passed each time. I used them all on a regular basis for work and have had the el cheepo at work as a spare when the others were out being calibrated. I've built too many engines to remember with them all and never had any trouble. You may get what you pay for, but I have never had any dramas.
BTW I work for a CAT dealer and was based in the engine section for 18 months, hence the excessive use of tension wrenches!
Cheers
Mark
Scootaphill
Regular

November 2004
Re: Torque Wrench Tue, 13 September 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blackers wrote on Sat, 10 September 2005 01:52

ALL have been calibrated every 3 months for the last 4-7 years and ALL have passed each time.

calibration is the key
Viper_III
Regular

March 2005
Re: Torque Wrench Tue, 13 September 2005 06:48 Go to previous message
how would one go about this calibration?

simple and easy job??
or something more involved?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:WTB: Bucket seat
Next Topic:WTB ke55 front right hand guard (melbourne)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 14:26:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064070224761963 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.