Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
st141addict
Occasional Poster

August 2005
icon5.gif  corona st141 diff Wed, 07 September 2005 01:31 Go to next message
G'day everyone
I'm not sure if this is covered somewhere else (if it is i couldn't find it).

Anyway i'm preaty sure my diff is starting to go and i would like to replace it with a LSD, it would also be good if i could change the ratio for higher top speed.

I've checked my workshop man. and the only info it gives is the ratio ((3.89-1)am i right in thinking that a diff ratio of 3.5-1 would give me a higher top speed?) and the make (Borg-warner, semi floating hypoid. whatever that means). Embarassed

oh yeah, its doesn't have IRS like the RT142 corona (slightly newer but nearly looks identical)

Well if anyone could pass on some advice i would realy appreciate it Smile

Ben Lucas
  Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: corona st141 diff Wed, 07 September 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not all rt142 have irs mine doesn't Wink very few csi's do and majority of avante's are irs.
From what i have found my corona diff has a final drive of 3.42:1 it sits on about 2400rpm at 100kmph on the freeway and would give a theoretical top speed of 230+kmph hitting the redline in 5th gear.
As for lsd for the borgwarner diff, r31 skyline but you'll need pintara axles.
st141addict
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: corona st141 diff Wed, 07 September 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks

r31 skyline, were they all LS? if not is there an easy way to tell? (short of removing the centre)
oh, do pintara axles have the same stud pattern (will my wheels and drum brakes fit?)
In case you can't tell i'm very new to all this Confused

well thanks again for the quick reply
i hope i'm not being too dificult
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: corona st141 diff Wed, 07 September 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lsd will be out of either a GTS or Sillhoette model. they have the same stud pattern and also a chance to upgrade to a 31 disc rear brakes. One of the guys on hear did it to an ST141 i think s-duub might be worth trying to pm him to get the finer details.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: corona st141 diff Wed, 07 September 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R31 LSD's are rare and sought after, so good luck finding one and get ready to open up your wallet if you do find one.
st141addict
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: corona st141 diff Wed, 07 September 2005 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks again, i'll try and get in touch with that guy

norbie, i kinda figured that would be the case, are there any other cars that you can think of that might make a suitable donor? (ra6X celica? or a mid to late eighties supra? i realy have no idea)

Are there any after maket companies that make em?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: corona st141 diff Wed, 07 September 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the RA65 runs the irs setup like the higher model corona's so its a no go, maybe a VL commodore/VN lsd might be available. Either way its gonna be expensive, in the end it'd probably be cheaper to source a RT142 with irs or RA65 throw everything in it and source an MA61 or aftermarket lsd for it.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: corona st141 diff Wed, 07 September 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want a bolt-in LSD, R31 Skyline is the only option. Commodore stuff is bigger.

Beyond that you could do a whole axle conversion (eg Hilux or Crown) which has LSD's readily available. But then you'd have to ask yourself why you're spending money on an ST141?
st141addict
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: corona st141 diff Wed, 07 September 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the idea is not to spend too much Rolling Eyes
Have you ever driven one?
My first one handled like a boat, but still left geminis for dead in a straight line. up hill a gemmi is not in the same league it sticks with silouetes up hill
The one i have now handles better than my mothers n13 pulsar hatch (corona has slightly stiffer than standard springs and monroe gas shocks, abit more roll than the pulsar but more neutral in handling, less understeer)
and it goes a bit better than my old one (after removing all the EC stuff + the old one had a 4 speed)

I'm open to sugestions, if you can think of something else that looks as "plain" as a corona and goes as good.........
st141addict
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: corona st141 diff Wed, 07 September 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just looked at a nissan site.

It was suggested that a vl - vn LSD would be a suitable replacement for a r31 skyline.....

please correct me if i'm wrong but if a skyline centre will fit my corona and a vl-vn one will fit a skyline.... see where i'm going here?

I would realy appreciate any thoughts on this matter

p.s. Norbie, you were spot on about that skyline diff, not one for sale in hobart. The guy at the wreckers nearly laughed when i asked Confused Sounds like even if i could find one it would probably be stuffed. Oh yeah, the wreckers had a rt142 corona avante without IRS? (presumably no LSD either) not much good to me, but i thought that they all had IRS (cs-x or avante)
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: corona st141 diff Wed, 07 September 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope as said above not all RT142's have irs the CSI is rarely IRS where most AVANTE's are. I own an RT142 that does not have an IRS rear end. The diff in that car would be the same as the one already in your car (maybe different ratio). Note the irs cars don't have lsd's but because they have f-series diffs aftermarket and other toyota lsd's are available for them.
st141addict
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: corona st141 diff Wed, 07 September 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well replacing the rear end sounds like the way to go, since replacement centres are available.....

I've never driven a rwd car with irs....
will there be a noticable handling improvement?

I still would like to find out if a vl LSD will fit, I'm happy with the way my suspension handles at the moment 'cept for the fact i can't put much power to the road while turning or starting off (i assume a LSD will improve both of those areas)

corona rt142, thanks for the advice its handy to know that parts are available for the IRS setup... i just wish the same could be said for the one i have
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: corona st141 diff Wed, 07 September 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i didn't mean replace the rear end i meant source a corona with irs trasfer all the good bits from your car over transfer the shit bits from the irs over to your old one flog it and then get an lsd for the IRS rona.
st141addict
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: corona st141 diff Wed, 07 September 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
corona rt142, Embarassed yeah that makes a lot more sense

norbie, i know you said a commondore diff wouldn't fit....
but if it fits a skyline and a skyline one fits the corona. As far as i can tell wouldn't that mean a commie one should fit the corona?
(Like i said, i'm very new to this)

I'm still interested in peoples opinions concerning IRS over live rear, or the other way around

Thanks
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: corona st141 diff Wed, 07 September 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, if a Commodore LSD fits in a Skyline it will fit in a Corona, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case. All three cars have Borg-Warner diffs, but there are many variations of the Borg-Warner diff.
st141addict
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: corona st141 diff Wed, 07 September 2005 07:13 Go to previous message
any ideas on how to find out exactly what i have in myne....
the workshop manual doesn't realy have any specs

(model)bwXX?
axle splines?
crown wheel?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:piston difference?
Next Topic:S-Series diff into a KE70
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 03:18:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065569877624512 seconds