Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1jz MX83 (very overdone i know...)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
indeecent
Occasional Poster

June 2005
1jz MX83 (very overdone i know...) Wed, 07 September 2005 08:01 Go to next message
Ok, first off, i have searched the forum for a month or 2 looking for info... so please dont go mental saying this has been covered before... i need direct help, and i need it fast...

here goes...

I'm planning a MX83 with a 1jzgte, few issues that have come to attention...
1. Manual tranny - Not looking to spend a great deal on this (up to 1000k), i can get clutches for cost price, this is no issue... But i need to know where i can get a gearbox to suit the JZ as well as the flywheel and bellhousing to suit. The R154 i know is better, but is way out of my price range, so the W58 as a cost effective box will have to do. (There is no crazy power figures planned... yet.). And i need to know of any other upsets occuring with this. (also aware of the widening required of the trans tunnel.)

2. Next is what needs to happen with the tail shaft to include a manual trans. And a rough estimate on how much this will set me back.

3. With the use of the ct9 metal turbines, what is needed to convert the turbine wheel over?

4. I'm planning on using the 1JZ from a JZZ30 soarer. The package gets everything needed to start the motor and so forth (except intercooler and pipes). What issues will arise with clearances etc. with this engine? I have no issue with getting the mounts fabricated, as this will end up much cheaper than scoring the JZX81 half cut, which is a rarity and as such costs a good 25-30% more. This package for me can be scored for around 1600...

I am a competent engineer and have the ability to have a qualified mechanic and fabricator to give a hand. I'm just trying to get all the little annoyances that people have faced taken care of before i start the conversion. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1jz MX83 (very overdone i know...) Wed, 07 September 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1) 2JZGE W58, bellhousing and flywheel is what you need.
You can get custom flywheels made.
You can get a dellow bellhousing (not sure if CRS make one)
You can buy one straight from Toyota.
Don't expect much change from $1000 for a W5x, bellhousing, and flywheel.

2) If you go W58 then you can get an MA70 7MGE driveshaft. I've heard this is 95% close to perfect.
If you go R154 you can do the same with the 7MGTE driveshaft.
Your current autobox has same yoke as R154.
Older Cressida auto's and obviously W5x cars have same yoke as W5x.
Last 2 points are if you get a shaft customised (should get change from $300)

3) I have no idea what you are talking about.

4) You'll need mounts as you said. But also front sump/pickup/baffle/dipstick.
Nothing else will worry you.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1jz MX83 (very overdone i know...) Wed, 07 September 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, W5x doesn't need tunnel mods.
Its a straight bolt up.
Finding correct clutch pedal/bracket will be the hardest.
indeecent
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: 1jz MX83 (very overdone i know...) Wed, 07 September 2005 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok thanx for that, so hard to find straight out info, its all either encoded in like 4 pages of forums or not able to be found via search engines, none of the locals have any idea either...

but yeah with 3. ive herd a fair bit on people using the ct9 metal turbine from the starlet gt in the ct12a from the soarers, not sure on it, but from what i hear, if u use the entire wheel u need to machine out the compressor housing, and if u use just the exhaust housing end of it there is no issue. (again im not sure, hence wanting to know more), being able to run high boost for extended times without worry of the turbos falling to pieces would be handy...

I've got about 3.5k to spend, so its definatly going to be a budget build, but i dont want to skimp on quality (and yes, these things dont go hand in hand)...

When u say sump/pickup/baffle/dipstick what do u mean? clearance issues? and how can these be avoided?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1jz MX83 (very overdone i know...) Wed, 07 September 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JZZ30's and JZA70's have a midrear sump.
JZX81's and JZX90's have a front sump.

You need a front sump

By front/midrear, I mean thats where the bulge is.

A front sump will cost $250-$400 when you source one.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz MX83 (very overdone i know...) Wed, 07 September 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indeecent wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 19:13

When u say sump/pickup/baffle/dipstick what do u mean? clearance issues? and how can these be avoided?

He means that you will need a front sump (as opposed to the mid rear that the JZZ30 will come with), windage tray, pickup, dipstick and turbo oil drain hoses.

Cheers
Wilbo
indeecent
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: 1jz MX83 (very overdone i know...) Wed, 07 September 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so i take it theres no way to get that sump to work?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1jz MX83 (very overdone i know...) Wed, 07 September 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not without lots of cutting and welding and extending.
indeecent
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: 1jz MX83 (very overdone i know...) Wed, 07 September 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fair enough, just another thing to ring around for
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz MX83 (very overdone i know...) Wed, 07 September 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indeecent wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 18:01

4. I'm planning on using the 1JZ from a JZZ30 soarer. The package gets everything needed to start the motor and so forth (except intercooler and pipes). What issues will arise with clearances etc. with this engine? I have no issue with getting the mounts fabricated, as this will end up much cheaper than scoring the JZX81 half cut, which is a rarity and as such costs a good 25-30% more. This package for me can be scored for around 1600...

If it was me I'd pay the extra 25-30% without a second thought. No hassles, no messing about looking for parts or custom fabricating bits - just bolt it in. Engine swaps are easy, engine conversions are a bloody pain in the arse.
Southo
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002
Re: 1jz MX83 (very overdone i know...) Wed, 07 September 2005 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I Echo Norbie's comments

get the JZX81 and save youself a lot of heartache trying to find the important bits.. (Sump, Engine Mounts, Radiator, Fan and Shroud, Air box etc)

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 1jz MX83 (very overdone i know...) Wed, 07 September 2005 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teh Witzl Sez: Listen to these men.

Also, contact "jasonp1977" on these forums, or "cha54" on www.twincam.org/forums (same guy) - he bought a full jzx81 h/cut for his GX81 (same thing) and put in all the R154 manual gizmos, he can advise on whats the deal with that part Smile

indeecent
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: 1jz MX83 (very overdone i know...) Thu, 08 September 2005 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i know where u guys are coming from, i was looking for the jzx81 half cut, ever tried to find one thats a manual for under 4k? its just not gonna happen... most the parts i will be using is going to be aftermarket (radiator, oil cooler, intercooler, filters etc.) so getting a complete half cut doesnt seem very feasible. I have tracked down a complete front sump, flywheel, bellhousing and the mounts are going to be made, like i said, i have a competent fabricator and i have an amount of engineering know how. There are going to be some great stresses put on this motor, thats why im going for better stuff from the get go, so its a slow but sure build up, no use wasting money on parts i dont need.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1jz MX83 (very overdone i know...) Thu, 08 September 2005 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seeing JZX81's were never released with a manual, its VERY hard to find manual cuts.
A few have been converted in japan, but its not common.

JZX90's however were released with manual.
indeecent
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: 1jz MX83 (very overdone i know...) Thu, 08 September 2005 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, ive only ever seen one manual jxz81 cut, and it was 4500
teejay
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1jz MX83 (very overdone i know...) Thu, 08 September 2005 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe i paid alot less then 4k for my manual jzx81 cut

r154 box
short shifter
suspected os giken twin plate
indeecent
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: 1jz MX83 (very overdone i know...) Thu, 08 September 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol, well where did u get it from?! Confused any manual 1jz cut i can find under 3.5 im getting straight away, under 4 ill check it out and makes sure things work, but the work is going to have to get done asap, so ive got basically another month to track down parts and buy them,

im looking at 1600 for engine package
budgeting around 1400 for driveline etc.
mounts will be made by me/my friend
found a complete front sump for 400 so far
and then exhaust/piping around 500 (discounted because of connections)
petespipes
Regular

July 2005
Re: 1jz MX83 (very overdone i know...) Thu, 08 September 2005 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
everyone thats been through this will advise to buy the front cut with good reason.It is easier,cheaper and faster.Later you will offer the same advice to others! Smile
wumpagrande1992
Regular

July 2002
Re: 1jz MX83 (very overdone i know...) Mon, 12 September 2005 00:42 Go to previous message
GET THE JZX81 FRONT CUT!!!!! When using this for the conversion you need not modify ONE SINGLE THING. You will save a shitload of money. To convert to manual you can get the pedals, clutch lines, reservioir from a GX81, they came in manual. But if you get the JZX81 front cut you can slot the auto in for now until you save for the better manual box...

Off the top of my head, things that need modifying, not using a JZX81 cut:
- Powersteering lines, pump is on the other side of engine.
- Possibly engine mounts (Depending on which cut you get)
- Possibly sump (Depending on which cut you get)
- Fit thermo fan
- Intercooler pipework (Although you might want to upgrade anyway)
- Possibly air-con lines. (MX83 and JZX81 condensors are a bit different too.)

If you add all these up I'd say they cost more than the extra 20-30% the cut costs. Be patient, getting the right cut means less down time too, I put my engine in on a Saturday and it started on Sunday. Either way you do it, there is a little bit of wiring to sort out.

[Updated on: Mon, 12 September 2005 12:52]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3TGTE manifold question
Next Topic:Greddy Profec A error message AE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 16:23:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060679912567139 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.