Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Toyota Celica RA40... more help needed...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Azura_Beowulf
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Toyota Celica RA40... more help needed... Tue, 06 September 2005 09:27 Go to next message
I'm continuing to strip my car but i need to know how to take the cone screws in and out, there on the steering column holding it up sort of... there the only cone screws i've found so far. as far as i can see there's nothing to grip on it like a flathead screw or phillips or hex screw.
  Send a private message to this user    
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: Toyota Celica RA40... more help needed... Tue, 06 September 2005 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
had the same trouble with my ta23 column. I took the whole deal out as one, drilled a hole and forced a spline with a socket head into the whole. It was a special tool to do it, but u can work something similar out.

Also if uv got some dexterity u may be able to try using a centre punch or similar and taping the outer edges in the direction of loosening.

Otherwise just drill the whole deal out
Azura_Beowulf
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: Toyota Celica RA40... more help needed... Tue, 06 September 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive tried double sided tape in a 7mm socket but it didn't work lol so imma try blu-tac if i can find some... wat sorta house doesn't have blu-tac???? lol

Thanks anyway
Azzy
earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: Toyota Celica RA40... more help needed... Wed, 07 September 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am assuming the cone screws you are talking about are the ones holding the ignition lock assembly onto the column? You don't actually need to unscrew these to take the column out.

They are like that as an anti-theft device, i.e. make it hard to disable the steering lock.

I have always been able to get them out in the past with a hammer and screwdriver. Basically you belt a slot into the top of them. As you strike the hammer onto the screwdriver head put a bit of rotational torque on the screwdriver to unscrew the bolt. This can take a few blows but always works for me.

I wouldnt go using my favourite screwdriver for the job though!
Azura_Beowulf
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: Toyota Celica RA40... more help needed... Wed, 07 September 2005 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's mainly the fact that i need to screw them back in as one has fallen out... how would i do that? short of dremeling a flat in the screw thingy...
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Toyota Celica RA40... more help needed... Wed, 07 September 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cut a shallow and narrow slot in the head and tighten gently with a good screwdriver - you may want to put some locktight on it if it shook loose.
Azura_Beowulf
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: Toyota Celica RA40... more help needed... Thu, 08 September 2005 10:20 Go to previous message
ok cheers guys for the info

Azzy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Oil pump question ( 4A Engines )
Next Topic:Gz20 Soarer Conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 10:05:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0040128231048584 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.