Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » They don't make Electrical as good as they used to...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
icon8.gif  They don't make Electrical as good as they used to... Sat, 03 September 2005 05:40 Go to next message
Hey All,

My parent's have had a digital HD setup box for over 4 years now and now it decides to die Mad . Considering it cost a lot of money in those times and we hardly use it... Apparently modern day appliances are designed to die just after the warranty period is over... They no longer design decent products to last for years.

That is my rant of the week...
  Send a private message to this user    
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: They don't make Electrical as good as they used to... Sat, 03 September 2005 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Commiserations to ya folks, but . . . .

DUURRRRRRRR Shocked

On the upside - thanks to mass production, 3-function variable speed vibrators are now affordable for nearly everyone. That's progress ! !

[Updated on: Sat, 03 September 2005 06:41]

79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: They don't make Electrical as good as they used to... Sat, 03 September 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kind of a non valid argument as usually a product has allready be completely outperformed by a newer better product well before they decide to self destruct...

What im saying is... thats like saying "geez this telegram machine is good quality... lasted 83 years...i never had to buy another one" when everyone else is using mobile phones and WAP and what have you...

But I definately agree that many products especially brands that have names like others but are really cheap chinese rip offs like Palsonic rather than Panasonic... Would most definately have parts that are only built to last about 4-5 years... Its like anything, what good is selling something that you can make money from down the track... Spare parts in the automotive industry are the most blantant example, ok sell a car for 25 grand but then the same car, if I was to build it paying for spare parts from the dealer is close to 75 grand... Go figure...
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: They don't make Electrical as good as they used to... Sat, 03 September 2005 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
79rollaboy wrote on Sat, 03 September 2005 17:52

...Spare parts in the automotive industry are the most blantant example, ok sell a car for 25 grand but then the same car, if I was to build it paying for spare parts from the dealer is close to 75 grand... Go figure...

I know all about spare parts especially when you have an account with your local Toyota Parts Department and your occupation status is that of a student.

I pulled the HD Box appart and see that a compacitor has let itself loose inside with all that gunk on the board... Is it hard to replace the compacitor or should I get a pro to replace it?

Cheers.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: They don't make Electrical as good as they used to... Sat, 03 September 2005 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hard to say, what brand is it? If its a decent brand then get someone to take a look at it, My HD box is like a "strong" or some no-name brand... You could get some methanol and clean the gunk off with that. Or has the wiring gone to the shit aswell?
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: They don't make Electrical as good as they used to... Sat, 03 September 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's the top of the line Panasonic HDTV set top 4 years ago. It's got no name on it but distributed by Panasonic only till recently Panasonic put their names on it...

Just the compacitor let itself go, I haven't removed anything but the lid off the box...

I'll send it into the pro and hopefully wouldn't get charged more then $50 to fix it as it's cheaper getting a new one if the repair costs more.

Cheers.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: They don't make Electrical as good as they used to... Sat, 03 September 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is an all too common problem.... thanks to a few shonky capacitor manufacturers using below spec dielectric material inside the capacitor.

It's not the appliance manufacturer's fault, and more than likely not even the capacitor manufacturers fault (they were probably sold shitty dielectic material). How can you predict that after 4-5 years the dielectric inside a cap is going to leak out and corrode everything nearby???
TougeVitz
Regular

July 2005
Re: They don't make Electrical as good as they used to... Sat, 03 September 2005 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol...speaking of buying a car in parts and costing more than everything already put together...
to buy a seat for a toyota echo...in parts...from toyota...will end up costing around the $8000 mark...go figure..
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: They don't make Electrical as good as they used to... Mon, 05 September 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah its giving me the shits, examples of my stuff:

High end Panasonic $850 DVD player - laser burnt out and eventually failed 2-3 years later
High end Sony VCR $450 - Front display panel died after 2 years.
Pentax digital camera $550 - Won't turn on or just crashes and resets itself, failed just within warranty.
Pioneer 8450MP MP3 Headunit $1500 - 2-3 years old, front motorised bezel comes down halfway and then the thing just crashes and resets itself, over and over again in a loop. Needs a new ribbon cable apparently.

Annoying when you buy 'quality' brands and this happens.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: They don't make Electrical as good as they used to... Mon, 05 September 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they make them last for the lenght of the warranty ARGH
ie. 7 day pixel warranty on lcd's Rolling Eyes
trevtrev
Regular

October 2004
Re: They don't make Electrical as good as they used to... Mon, 05 September 2005 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a Sunbeam Blender and my brother has a Sunbeam toaster; both were wedding presents for our parents that they decided they did not need any more. 40 years later and not missed a beat. Back when Sunbeam was a "Quality" manufacturer. I broke a nylon gear in my parents Sunbeam mix master and the dude a the Sunbeam factory laughed at me when I asked for a replacement, and said, just go buy a new one for $50. What, and have it die in 2-3 years. Fuck that.

ZZ. Not sure where you live but on Brissie Southside there was a dude called KD. You take your broken TV or VCR or something to him. He puts it in his repair shop for a coupla months, every time you ring he says he's working on it or waiting for parts (blatant lies Wink) But when he fixes it. $20 and good as new (Sometimes you have to take someone else's thing because he could not fix or find yours... But altogether a good deal.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: They don't make Electrical as good as they used to... Mon, 05 September 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ribfeast wrote on Mon, 05 September 2005 11:36

Pioneer 8450MP MP3 Headunit $1500 - 2-3 years old, front motorised bezel comes down halfway and then the thing just crashes and resets itself, over and over again in a loop. Needs a new ribbon cable apparently.

New ribbon cables are like $10 and take about an hour to replace.

I fix mine, and 2 of my mates 6050's.

8450 cable could be a bit more, but you should get change from $20.
And anyone who knows how to use a soldering iron and solder braid can do it.

You'll see that newer models have ditched this cable when they realised what was happening.
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: They don't make Electrical as good as they used to... Mon, 05 September 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wicked Very Happy Who supplies them in Aussieland?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: They don't make Electrical as good as they used to... Mon, 05 September 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any authorised Pioneer repair place.

Whether they will sell to the public I don't know.
I have a contact at one joint, so I got it there (paid full price I think though)
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: They don't make Electrical as good as they used to... Mon, 05 September 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my theory on this is old equipment was no better and if anything probaly worse then new equipment.

its just that all the old codgers only remember the stuff that they still have and it still works.. all the stuff that has broken and long gone is forgotten.

hence the theory that "old stuff is better"
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: They don't make Electrical as good as they used to... Mon, 05 September 2005 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Mon, 05 September 2005 21:45

my theory on this is old equipment was no better and if anything probaly worse then new equipment.

its just that all the old codgers only remember the stuff that they still have and it still works.. all the stuff that has broken and long gone is forgotten.

hence the theory that "old stuff is better"

like old cars perhaps? Rolling Eyes

a few years ago, things were made to.. well maybe not a higher standard, but they were made of thicker materials and did last longer... with the ever present push toward cuttign costs, the cheapest of everything is used, and it only takes one shitty things (like Caps as Witzl mentioned, or ribbon cable) to stop the product working...
sucks but true...
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: They don't make Electrical as good as they used to... Tue, 06 September 2005 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my theory is people don't look after stuff like they used too Wink Youngens have no respect!

Quote:

like old cars perhaps?

New cars are nice, but the PVC fog inside them will ensure the car outlasts it's carcinogen ridden owner. Keep it real with steal Very Happy
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: They don't make Electrical as good as they used to... Tue, 06 September 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ever noticed you cant buy a quality steel hills hoist any more?? they are all tacky and plastic. Allegedly Hills noticed that suddenly no one was buy hills hoists anymore, because everyone had one and they lasted for ever. By being exceptionally good at building them they backed themselves out of the market.

Engineered Obsolecence is the art of engineering something to break down just after the warranty period. It is now common practice (Hyundai are masters!).
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: They don't make Electrical as good as they used to... Wed, 07 September 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my hills hoist is only 4 years old and it seems pretty good to me.

ill admit it isnt as tough as the galvanised tubular monsters of old but its more then sufficent.

i look at it and go "that is sufficently strong, dosent waste any material and and eaisly recyclable when its useful lifespan is over"
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: They don't make Electrical as good as they used to... Wed, 07 September 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 12:13

"that is sufficently strong, dosent waste any material and and eaisly recyclable when its useful lifespan is over"

Just my point, yours has a useable lifespan. Mine is an estimated 40 years old, has been relocated twice and short of a rusty bolt (a steel bolt replaced the gal one during a relocation) and some new line it has never been maintained, I don't even oil it regulary.

Yet my grandmother's brand new folding aluminum one folded over (bent the main pole) in a moderate wind with a load of sheets on it.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: They don't make Electrical as good as they used to... Wed, 07 September 2005 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Old things are usually easier to fix - especially electronics.

I fix old 70s vintage computers and they're a breeze compared to the new PAL/GAL/ASIC surface mounted stuff where all you can do is throw the thing away.

We got one of those green pretty-looking Hills Hoists. The damn thing broke a couple of months ago where it wouldn't raise up. So, I pulled the bitch apart and fixed it with some cunning wood and metal work. It goes better than it ever did now.

Old VCRs are pretty easy to fix also, but it is hard getting parts for them if a particular cog or customised plastic component breaks.

Newer TVs are easier to fix only because you can replace a whole module and get a new one without getting belted by the HT or some other thing. More expensive though and it is harder to get schematics now than it was in older times.

18RGs are easy to work on, but an old Holden 179/186/202 engine is easier still.

I like fixing old stuff. Smile

seeyuzz
river
Flynnos
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: They don't make Electrical as good as they used to... Wed, 07 September 2005 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Planned Obsolecence is all to common now, especially in household goods. It's bloody hard to find a kettle,toaster or hair dryer that lasts more than 3 or 4 years these days. I dont really care bout this practice in household goods, but to learn they are doing this in cars! That is totally stupid, cars are not easily replacable at all, bloody hyundai! Mad
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: They don't make Electrical as good as they used to... Wed, 07 September 2005 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 13:47

Hi,

Old things are usually easier to fix - especially electronics.
18RGs are easy to work on, but an old Holden 179/186/202 engine is easier still.

I like fixing old stuff. Smile

agreed... and is why i like K motors... i can mentally pull it down and put it back together in my sleep...

but the other side is that the older gear was never run to within inches of it's capability (saying mm just doesn't sound right here), and so was less likely to break anyway..

so you think you'll find enough things to keep you occupied down there??

[Updated on: Wed, 07 September 2005 18:41]

thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: They don't make Electrical as good as they used to... Wed, 07 September 2005 18:59 Go to previous message
Squid wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 09:55

Engineered Obsolecence is the art of engineering something to break down just after the warranty period. It is now common practice (Hyundai are masters!).

BINGO! Was waiting for someone to say that.
I thought it was called planned obsolecence but yeah same thing. Everyone's got to make money I guess.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:good photochoping programs
Next Topic:Site is real slow sometimes ...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 17:07:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058090686798096 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.