Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GTV Trueno
Regular

November 2004

JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Wed, 07 September 2005 11:51 Go to next message
Hi,
I have a pair of TRD 304 degree cams with 10.7mm lift, a set of TRD valve springs, Toda Adjustable cam gears and am planning on using 1S-ZFE lifters.

My engine has already been rebuilt previously in Japan before I purchased the car. It has a metal headgasket not sure on thickness, it has an engraving inbetween the cam gears saying 4-2T and a picture of circle about the size of twenty cent piece with a small circle inside it and lines going from one circle to the other, (sort of looks like a spider web) and the ECU has (Reiichi R engine control) written on it in black marker.
Does anybody know what these things mean.

Anyway I'm currently running Anthony Kellam Extractors, a 2-1/4 inch straight through exhaust system, a K&N pod filter with cold air induction, 20V 212mm flywheel and Exedy heavy duty clutch.

Can I run these TRD cams with an Apexi SAFC and Apexi ITC or will I need to up grade to stand alone ECU.

I already have the SAFC and just need a Apexi ITC I just want to know if my car will run good and make good power as I want to use this set up in October at the Sydney Drift Nats.

After Drift Nats I will upgrade to a stand alone ECU and add quad throotle bodies.

Thanks For Your Help.
Damian.
  Send a private message to this user    
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Wed, 07 September 2005 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it may well mean the ecu has been chipped...
GTV Trueno
Regular

November 2004

Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Wed, 07 September 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How can I tell if it's been chipped. Do they actually take the ECU apart and put the chip inside or should I be able to see it from the outside of the ECU.
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Wed, 07 September 2005 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
open up the ecu

it would most likely have a different rom
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Thu, 08 September 2005 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GTV Trueno wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 21:51

Hi,
I have a pair of TRD 304 degree cams with 10.7mm lift, a set of TRD valve springs, Toda Adjustable cam gears and am planning on using 1S-ZFE lifters.

My engine has already been rebuilt previously in Japan before I purchased the car. It has a metal headgasket not sure on thickness, it has an engraving inbetween the cam gears saying 4-2T and a picture of circle about the size of twenty cent piece with a small circle inside it and lines going from one circle to the other, (sort of looks like a spider web) and the ECU has (Reiichi R engine control) written on it in black marker.
Does anybody know what these things mean.

Anyway I'm currently running Anthony Kellam Extractors, a 2-1/4 inch straight through exhaust system, a K&N pod filter with cold air induction, 20V 212mm flywheel and Exedy heavy duty clutch.

Can I run these TRD cams with an Apexi SAFC and Apexi ITC or will I need to up grade to stand alone ECU.

I already have the SAFC and just need a Apexi ITC I just want to know if my car will run good and make good power as I want to use this set up in October at the Sydney Drift Nats.

After Drift Nats I will upgrade to a stand alone ECU and add quad throotle bodies.

Thanks For Your Help.
Damian.

For a start you'll need a new fully adjustable ecu (just to be sure) and im betting that spider web has something to do with timing.

Im very interested to know how it pans out.

Very similar to the plans i have.

Cheers

Steve
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Thu, 08 September 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
by lifters do you mean buckets and shims?
GTV Trueno
Regular

November 2004

Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Thu, 08 September 2005 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1SZ-FE have a shimless bucket which is compatable with 4age buckets.
Bucket is a lifter.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Thu, 08 September 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it doesnt have shims, how are the clearances adjusted?
GTV Trueno
Regular

November 2004

Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Thu, 08 September 2005 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pages/Lift er%20Tuning.html

The above internet address will explain everything needed to know about using 1SZ-FE lifters in a 4age.

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Thu, 08 September 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bah, its shim under bucket, thats what i thought.
GTV Trueno
Regular

November 2004

Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Thu, 08 September 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote from link:
Actually the buckets are of the one-piece design and there's no shims at all! It's done by the micro-protrusions that act as shims...

read it again, properly.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Thu, 08 September 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i did read it. so its either shim under bucket, or in this case it appears the nodules under the bucket are the adjustment. if this is so, wouldnt you need to buy all new buckets when adjusting the clearances? sounds a bit silly when you can get a conventional shim under bucket arangement.
GTV Trueno
Regular

November 2004

Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Thu, 08 September 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will just buy 4 of the smallest lifters which are half the price of TRD shim under bucket lifters.
I'll install each cam twice while taking all the clearence measurements then order the correct size lifters.

It will still be much cheaper and it's a superior part.

Its a bit of a hassle, but I would have to install a shim under bucket lifter and measure clearences then order the correct shims anyway. It just means I have to take out the cam and put it back in an extra time and I'll save about $400.
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Thu, 08 September 2005 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GTV Trueno wrote on Thu, 08 September 2005 23:11

Its a bit of a hassle, but I would have to install a shim under bucket lifter and measure clearences then order the correct shims anyway.

Provided the shims aren't too worn and they are within tolerance ranges of each other, you can actually machine the shims to suit rather than ordering an entire new set. However, this was with a shim over setup so i'm not sure if it applies to shim under.

Eddie.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Thu, 08 September 2005 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Thu, 08 September 2005 22:52

.....sounds a bit silly when you can get a conventional shim under bucket arangement.

A 20 gram saving per valve assembly doesn't sound so silly to me.
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Thu, 08 September 2005 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is a tit on the underside of the bucket and it has the thickness engraved on it. they are much harder to set than conventional shim over or under, as you typically have to swap valves around and "tip" (grind) the end of the valve to get the clearances perfectly correct. Toyota australia stocks a very limited size range. once set, they are fine, but you have to re-grind the valve ends if you ever need to re-seat the valves. all-round, they are a pain in the ass and are only done for production expediency. they are hopeless at rebuild time.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Fri, 09 September 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so you are suggesting to get them all a little oversize, and grind the valve end to suit?
GTV Trueno
Regular

November 2004

Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Fri, 09 September 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But if you where to buy them a little oversize and grind down the valve end to suit. How would you measure the clearence as they would be too big and the lifter would hit the cam lobe.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Fri, 09 September 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a 'little' oversize...
clearance is what? 0.2mm? thats a lot of room to play with... measure what clearances you need roughly, then get them between 0.05 and 0.2mm oversize and grind to suit

if the bucket touches the base circle (not the lobe) than you still have more to grind Razz

TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Fri, 09 September 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no, i'm just telling you how we sometimes have to do them in our engine shop. you need a special machine to grind the valve ends square. good luck , be patient and be prepared for some small disasters along the way with this job
GTV Trueno
Regular

November 2004

Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Fri, 09 September 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They actually come in 0.02mm increments.

I don't really want to grind down the valve ends, if I use 1SZ-FE lifters is it a must to grind down the valves.
If this is the case I will use TRD shim under buckets, but I can't imagine the TRD shims being available in smaller increments then 0.02mm which means I'd have to grind down the valve ends to make fit perfect anyway.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Fri, 09 September 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was looking at this myself but for the 3SGTE... I don't see why you would need to grind the valve tips, you should just be able to grind the nipples on the shims if you really need to adjust them.

If I end up doing it I will just measure them all up and wait for the appropriate shims to come in from Japan (or beg Stu to FedEx them over for me) Very Happy

See 3SGTE Version Here
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Sat, 10 September 2005 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The easiest way is to set it all up with standard shims (beg, borrow, steal) and then take them all out and measure them up. Toyota Australia stock the full range ex-Sydney.
But it certainly isnt cheap, without trade, or mates rates it comes out to almost $25 per lifter.
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Sat, 10 September 2005 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you sure they stock the 1SZ-FE shims in Australia? This would be weird as the 1SZ-FE engine is not even used in Australia. It is out of a Echo type car in Japan, that uses a smaller engine that our Echo. If the shims are stocked, they must be common to another engine, 1NZ-FE or 1ZZ-FE perhaps?

Or maybe a few people ordered 1SZ-FE shims, then the Toyota parts computer decided it should be a stocked part?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Sat, 10 September 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think they are a shared part with another engine, not entirely sure which one though. The guy i know at Canberra Toyota said he could get all bar one ex-Sydney, and that Sydney were on backorder for that one shim.
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Sat, 10 September 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In theory, if you have every available bucket size, then you will be right. however, we "tip" the valves to get them perfect and/or stop stuffing around with dozens of buckets. Before you start this project, get the valves professionally cut and lapped in and do a dummy run with 1 bucket, so you know the size range you are dealing with. I have a good selection of TRD type shims. if you want more info, phone me at work, 07-32018866. Road & Track (Terry)
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: JDM 4age TRD cams, 1S-ZFE lifters help needed. Sat, 10 September 2005 14:09 Go to previous message
Another hint - the 1NZ (Echo) engine uses a different bucket that doesn't fit the 4AG head. I tried...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:pc assisted engine analysing prg forum anywhere?
Next Topic:Manual conversion and high flowing JZZ30 Soarer
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 20:34:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073890686035156 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.