Toymods » General Car Talk » 1989 Camry not starting

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
muzzi
Regular

December 2004
icon9.gif  1989 Camry not starting Wed, 07 September 2005 21:28 Go to next message
Hi All,

So I managed to sell my MR2 (to someone on the forums) and I now have a 1989 Camry Wagon. A bit of a change I know, but oh well.

Anyway, I am having the most frustrating problem with it - If I have just been for a drive lets say to the shop, and I come back and the car is still hot, it wont start! It doesn't even kick over! And I have to wait a good 20 minutes before it will work, but then as soon as its cold enough it starts perfectly?!

This is very annoying as I can't 'nip out' to the shops or anything, I have to make an hour of it. It starts first time every morning and every afternoon on the way home from work (After sitting for ~9 hours)

Any ideas on what this could be?

Thanks Guys.
  Send a private message to this user    
shezza
Regular

March 2005
Re: 1989 Camry not starting Wed, 07 September 2005 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe leaking injectors
muzzi
Regular

December 2004
Re: 1989 Camry not starting Wed, 07 September 2005 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But shouldn't the starter still turn it over if the injectors were leaking?
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1989 Camry not starting Thu, 08 September 2005 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had that problem before. In the meantime, the trick to starting it is to have a big screwdriver, have someone in the car, turn the key to start (and it should click), then whack (not hard but tap it a bit) the starter motor at the same time and it will start.

The cause is the starter relay and you might need to rewire it. Don't ask me why the whacking the starter motor works but it worked for me before.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 September 2005 04:19]

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1989 Camry not starting Thu, 08 September 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u wack it to shock the solenoid into making cog jump out and engage the flywheel.

experiment with someone at home, take the car for a drive then park it in the driveway

have someone try start the car while u give the starter a wack.

be careful of moving bits in the engine bay when your waking it and also if manual transmission make double sure its not in gear and the starter person runs u over.
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 1989 Camry not starting Thu, 08 September 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it an auto or manual? If its an auto i had a problem with the neutral saftey switch which would cause the car to think it was still in gear with it was in park, generally gigling the selector back and forewards fixed it.
shezza
Regular

March 2005
Re: 1989 Camry not starting Thu, 08 September 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
muzzi wrote on Thu, 08 September 2005 08:42

But shouldn't the starter still turn it over if the injectors were leaking?

Oh, I for some reason assumed it was turning over
Camry_omega wrote on Thu, 08 September 2005 15:10

Is it an auto or manual? If its an auto i had a problem with the neutral saftey switch which would cause the car to think it was still in gear with it was in park, generally gigling the selector back and forewards fixed it.

Yea, maybe that might work or try starting it in nuetral.
Also does the car make a click sound when u try and start it or nothing at all?

[Updated on: Thu, 08 September 2005 05:30]

Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 1989 Camry not starting Thu, 08 September 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from what i remember there was still a click, but no starter motor turning.
shezza
Regular

March 2005
Re: 1989 Camry not starting Thu, 08 September 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Then it would be your starter solenoid contacts. If the starter motor is old then you may as well recondition the whole thing while is out. All depends on how many k's u got on the clock (how many k's does the starter motor has)?
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1989 Camry not starting Fri, 09 September 2005 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I replaced the starter motor after that.. still didn't solve it but did reduce the incident of this happening.... But if it clicks but the motor doesn't turn over, then as shezza said, it's the solenoid...
shezza
Regular

March 2005
Re: 1989 Camry not starting Sat, 10 September 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SmellyTofu wrote on Sat, 10 September 2005 08:26

I replaced the starter motor after that.. still didn't solve it but did reduce the incident of this happening.... But if it clicks but the motor doesn't turn over, then as shezza said, it's the solenoid...

Was yours clicking too?
It sounds more like your ring gear is gone but it would have been grinding not just clicking.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 1989 Camry not starting Sat, 10 September 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am putting money on the high voltage coil.

Try another coil and see how you go. I have seen this happen with a sv21 camry before where this particular coil warms up and won't allow the car to start until it's cooled down. Another coil fixed this odd problem.
shezza
Regular

March 2005
Re: 1989 Camry not starting Sat, 10 September 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling wrote on Sat, 10 September 2005 21:48

i am putting money on the high voltage coil.

Try another coil and see how you go. I have seen this happen with a sv21 camry before where this particular coil warms up and won't allow the car to start until it's cooled down. Another coil fixed this odd problem.

But if the coil was the prob the car should turn over that would only stop the spark.

Try and hotwire it. Get a peice of wire and touch the bolt that comes off the starter to the tag on the solenoid and see if it starts. If it does its for sure it. My dad has seen this alot on camrys.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 1989 Camry not starting Sat, 10 September 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true true.
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1989 Camry not starting Sat, 10 September 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shezza wrote on Sat, 10 September 2005 18:55

Was yours clicking too?
It sounds more like your ring gear is gone but it would have been grinding not just clicking.

Yes, mine clicked once everytime I turned it to start when it was hot.

No, it was the solenoid that fixed it in the end... rewired it and then sold the car...
HKS_TRD
Regular

September 2002
Re: 1989 Camry not starting Sat, 10 September 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Camry and Supra do the exact same thing. And tapping the starter fixes it. The other fix, especially with the Camry is to turn the motor over a touch from one of the fan belts then try to start it. I think its because not enough voltage gets to the starter, a separate power feed and relay could fix it. I will probably try this soon myself

Dan
shezza
Regular

March 2005
Re: 1989 Camry not starting Sat, 10 September 2005 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKS_TRD wrote on Sat, 10 September 2005 23:35

My Camry and Supra do the exact same thing. And tapping the starter fixes it. The other fix, especially with the Camry is to turn the motor over a touch from one of the fan belts then try to start it. I think its because not enough voltage gets to the starter, a separate power feed and relay could fix it. I will probably try this soon myself

Dan

Isnt turning the motor only useful if ur flywheel is missing teeth?
My dad was telling me that instead of changing the solenoid he does what u said. Cheap fix and does the trick.
shezza
Regular

March 2005
Re: 1989 Camry not starting Sun, 11 September 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I forgot to mention that if you hotwire your starter ensure your car is in park with the handbrake on Wink
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 1989 Camry not starting Sun, 11 September 2005 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey mate, i didnt know you had a camry, anyway what you need is a relay switch made up, go to an electrician and ask them for a relay switch because you starter motor is not working properly.
trdcmy
Regular

July 2005
Re: 1989 Camry not starting Sun, 11 September 2005 23:37 Go to previous message
yea it sounds to me like what smt_007 said a starter relay, wen i had my sv21 it had that same problem. wen it got hot it didn't want to start, but yea its the starter relay
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:painting chrome *getting rid of bling wheels*
Next Topic:New car (well not new...but new to me)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 00:58:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077278614044189 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.