Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Suspension Questions?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Suspension Questions? Thu, 08 September 2005 07:48 Go to next message
okay, i know how to do the suspension, it seems pretty straight forward. but wat i want to ask is, do i need to use a torque wrench to tighten the suspension or do i jus do it tight by feel?

thanks,
jason

[Updated on: Fri, 09 September 2005 04:07]

Send a private message to this user    
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Suspension Questions? Fri, 09 September 2005 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is wat ive got so far.
ive taken off the front wheels, but cant continue cause i need one of those brake line clips thingys so i can disconnect the brake line, this should be a problem on the back cause its drums on the rear.

but my mate reacons u have to use a tourqe wrench to tighten the stut, is this true or can i jus tighten it till im comfortable with it.
i dun think ive missed anything, if i have can u guys let me know?

does anyone think i should get pics up, for anyone that might want to read up on this later down the track?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Suspension Questions? Fri, 09 September 2005 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just remove the caliper off the disc that way you don't need to worry about the brake lines.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Suspension Questions? Fri, 09 September 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i ran up the street to the mechanic and he told me to jus cut a strip in that sheet of metal that attaches the brake line to the strut then bend it so i can remove the brake line, do the same to put the brake line back in.

new problem but, how do i undo the bolt above the strut. cause wen i turn it, the strut turns, i shoulda thought of this b4 but well, i didnt.
wat do u guys reacon?
rxjohn
Regular

December 2003
Re: Suspension Questions? Fri, 09 September 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
use air rattle gun to remove top nut on shocker / strut,
when bolting on strut mounts just do them up tight, dont worry about torque wrench,
on some toyotas AE82 etc you can either cut bit off tab which brake hose goes through and bend then pass hose out or unbolt hose , pass through, but have to bleed brakes.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Suspension Questions? Fri, 09 September 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokey228 wrote on Fri, 09 September 2005 14:53

i ran up the street to the mechanic and he told me to jus cut a strip in that sheet of metal that attaches the brake line to the strut then bend it so i can remove the brake line, do the same to put the brake line back in.

new problem but, how do i undo the bolt above the strut. cause wen i turn it, the strut turns, i shoulda thought of this b4 but well, i didnt.
wat do u guys reacon?

what the mechanic said is a good idea my uncle did exactly the same thing when we did the struts and springs on my corona, it saves a lot of stuffing around, you then just sit the cacliper on something to stop it dangling and pulling on the brake line.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Suspension Questions? Fri, 09 September 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rxjohn wrote on Fri, 09 September 2005 15:36

use air rattle gun to remove top nut on shocker / strut,

new dilema, i dun have a air rattle gun. i got one strut off, and the 2nd one almost there. but i still cant work out how im gonna get the strut tops seperated from the stuts. when i twist that bit nut up the top of em, the whole shock jus twists.

any new ideas? Sad
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Suspension Questions? Fri, 09 September 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Put the wheel on, lower that side of the car down, crack the nut then jack it back up agian.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Suspension Questions? Fri, 09 September 2005 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you guys are pussy's you don't need air tools, infact our air tools were more hindrance than help, we cracked it with brute force with my dad and i bracing the strut whilst my uncle undid it.
Note for future reference cracked the nut when it is still attached to the car, just enough to loosen it then preceed much easier. Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 09 September 2005 06:33]

Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Suspension Questions? Fri, 09 September 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bugger.
ill give that a try, but wat i already tried was sticking the strut in a vice and giving it a hard ass yank. but got nowhere. ill give it a try wif the wheel on, see how that goes.

thanks alot,
jason
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Suspension Questions? Fri, 09 September 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We forgot to do it when we jacked my car up, it was the easiest way. All mine was done without any air tools.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Suspension Questions? Fri, 09 September 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay, so i put everything back together, put it back on the car, lowered it down, and cracked the nut. one worked 100% cause the spring wasnt on the rubber properly and it made sum painful scratching b4 it went click. the sencond was still all fine and jus started to spin easily so i figured it was becoming very loose. so i lefted it all back up and took it all apart. the one that cracked came apart easily. the otherone wasnt even loosened.

i really cannot be bothered taking the spring compressor off, and then putting it all back together jus to try and crack it again, although ive already decided ill do it tomorrow. but b4 i do it, i wanted to ask if there was a way i could do it with out putting it back on the car. ive tried to jus pin it down whilst my bro tried to spin it, but it doesnt seem to be working.

wat would u guys recommend? jus going the long way and putting it back on? or is there sum way i can do it whilst its off.
im gonna have another wack at it tomorrow, its getting dark, and my flu is kicking in again.(bastard illness n shit)

thanks for your help up untill now anyway guys.
TougeVitz
Regular

July 2005
Re: Suspension Questions? Fri, 09 September 2005 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey...have changed springs in my car a few times now...and damn i;ve had enuf Razz air tools would be soo helpfull...

but the top nut, i;ve finally discovered taht with the spring compressed as far as needed, get a monkey wrench around the top spring mount (mine has some indents in it that the wrench can "grip" on), then just hold the whole assy horizontal on the ground, and crack the top nut that way...or if its too hard...stand on the whole shock assy, and the other foot to "lever" the wrench/spanner u got on the top nut...

but...if i had the right tools, the top spring plate has holes all around the diameter, if u got a sorta c-spanner with pins on each tip, that would do the job neatly Smile
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Suspension Questions? Fri, 09 September 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i found this little thing that had pins on the top, jamed it in to one of the wholes. and levered againts the strut whilst my bro tried to crack it. didnt work, not a chance in hell. done more bad then good Razz

but if u where to jam it wif two holes rather than one, id imagine it would work better, alot better.

anyway, im gonna go give ur other theory a try now. hopefully it works out for me.
thanks,
jason
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Suspension Questions? Sat, 10 September 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey, as i was lowering the car down, i got the wheels on the floor, but still had the jack holding it up. i went to tighten the strut tops up that final lil bit. one side went fine, but on the other side. the spring twisted and poped off the rubber bit and i think it might not be lined up in the strut properly.
did this happen cause tehre wasnt enough weight on the car? or did it happen cause ive dun sumfin wrong?

one other thing was i had to use the old bits from the old struts to properly assemble the new struts. the rubber things that go round tops and bottom have so far been slightly smaller than the springs but ive sort of been able to fit them over. is that sufficeint or should i get new ones?
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Suspension Questions? Sat, 10 September 2005 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
problem fixed, was jus sum alignment problem.

b4 i start the rear, im gonna go test see how they drive, but i wanted to ask so i could get it dun quicker cause i got a job tonight and i want this all to be done by then. but how do i get the rears off? do i need to remove all the boot gear to get to the strut top? or is it completly different to the front, i mean obviously its going to be but u know wat i mean.

eitherway im jus gonna take a shot at the rears, but was hoping if sum1 could point me in the right direction to make things more striaght forward.

thanks alot,
jason
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Suspension Questions? Sat, 10 September 2005 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dunno if anyone has mentioned this before but the top of the shock shaft may have a keying in it just below the threaded section which you can use to stop it rotating while you remove the nut.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Suspension Questions? Sat, 10 September 2005 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey.
yeh, i did notice that. but i couldnt get to it whilst all the strut was assembled. am i supposed to jus slid it in sumwhere n find it, or did i jus miss it?
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Suspension Questions? Sat, 10 September 2005 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay, ive started on the rear. but i cant workout the rear sway bar. its got a pivot connected to the strut by a bolt. but how do u undo the bolt? it jus spins and spins. and theres no otherside to it. in onther words. i dun need to hold a nut whilst i undo the bolt or nuffin as there isnt one there. but there is a alenkey looking screw through the middle of the nut, should i jus take a dive and undo that?

i dun particularly wanna screw my sway bar up.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Suspension Questions? Sat, 10 September 2005 07:35 Go to previous message
okay. i jus did it. worked it all out.
suspension is in and handles sooo much better. i love the new feeling of oversteer(i think, but u know wat i mean)
bit dissappointed by the ride hight cause its like 2inches lower than expected. it took the car down by like 3-3.5inches rather than 1.5-2inches. lol

i gotta get ready for work, but wen i get a chance ill right up like wat i did and how it went for ppl later on wen they do a search, and need to do their suspension. but i didnt get 2many photos, so dont know how helpfull it will be.

anyway, thanks for all your help and that guys/girls,
jason
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ae92/93 filler/apron
Next Topic:Suspenion/Wheel question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 06:03:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.009037971496582 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.