AuthorTopic
Enchanter
Regular

July 2005
responsiveness turbo vs NA Thu, 08 September 2005 10:30 Go to next message
Here is my situation.

MA61 + 5me = unhappiness

The car will be getting an engine swap.

I currently have a Mitsubishi Scorpion club car 2.6 twin 45mm webers etc etc, goes well, very responsive. (no idiot comments please)

The Supra will also be used as a club car but Iam worried about the general responsiveness of a turbo engine.
Faster is always better but the instant respone of an NA means alot to me. Now, I must admit I've only ever driven one turbo car and it was only once and it had more lag then normal.
The most likely engine choice for me will be 1jzgte, do they have much lag, or would it be better going a 2jzgte for the extra torque (less lag ???) more $$$ I know, as far as NA goes Im leaning very much towards a 2jzge and mod it.

Id be very interested in the oppinions of people with experience with both forms.

Cheers, Tim

Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Thu, 08 September 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, Ed_ma61 made a tits 7m-ge - very nice engine, and was plenty quick enough to have fun in. Of course, a 1jz/2jz/7m-gte are always gonna make more power.

what are you ,going to use the car for? how responsive does it have to be? if you've got a stock 1j or 2j and nail it when the engine is already doing 4000 rpm, the lag is tiny
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Thu, 08 September 2005 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 4K was very responsive.. ie funny to watch other ppl try and drive smoothly Wink
drivign a 3SGTE (stock) is annoying in city driving.. you know when you need to nail it thru an intersection? that doesn't happen...

if it's for a track car, and turbo is always kept spinning, it'd be ok i suppose, but for me NA/SC is where it's at Wink

why not go 2JZ with a twin screw SC? torque of turbo but form even lower in rev range, no lag - ever. not quite as much up high, but flat torque curve and near instant response (similar to NA.. takes two or three revs to fill intake tract usually.)

go on, you know you want to Razz
Enchanter
Regular

July 2005
Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Thu, 08 September 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Thu, 08 September 2005 21:03

why not go 2JZ with a twin screw SC? torque of turbo but form even lower in rev range, no lag - ever. not quite as much up high, but flat torque curve and near instant response (similar to NA.. takes two or three revs to fill intake tract usually.)

go on, you know you want to Razz

Yes, actually I do want to Very Happy Ive been expecting the sc reply, my only worry with that is the $$ of a 2jzgte + the sc + the mods to make it fit + ecu.

Would I need the gte or would it be safe with a ge?
If the answer is ge then the sc option is looking very nice. Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 08 September 2005 11:59]

BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Thu, 08 September 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SUPERCHARGE THE 2JZGE!!!!

I just sold my 2JZGE MA61 and i was going to supercharge it.

http://members.optushome.com.au/dbhebuild/2jcas.jpg

7mgte CAS

http://members.optushome.com.au/dbhebuild/2jcoils.jpg

1JZGTE Coilpacks modded to fit the GE valley cover.

http://members.optushome.com.au/dbhebuild/m90.jpg

Was going to strap on this Eaton M90.

Bang on a front mount intercooler and modify the plenum to become front facing and the thing would be an animal, max torque just after idle!

my 2c worth Wink
Enchanter
Regular

July 2005
Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Thu, 08 September 2005 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Thu, 08 September 2005 21:42

I just sold my 2JZGE MA61 and i was going to supercharge it.

Congrats on the sale, I must say I did like your car.

My car will be a weekend driver plus as many car club events as possible, so the car will be regoed but with a big emphasis on hill climbs and track days.

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Thu, 08 September 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As Draven and oldcorollas said, it's very much going to depend on how you drive it. My car only has a relatively stock 1GGTE, and nail it at 2000rpm and expect to wait a sec before it gives you a big kick up the ass. Nail it at 4000rpm and before you know if you're being pummeled down the road.

The moral of the story is keep it in its boost producing rev range, and the response will be very good.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Fri, 09 September 2005 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im yet to be inspired by responsiveness of my mates 1JZ MA61, thats not to say i dont like driving his car i love how nuts it is.

for a drivers car, Ed and Glen will tell u their N/A MA61's were wonderfully ballanced with the punch u needed to instantly break out of a corner. and i agree.

if thats what your really looking for my suggestion is 1UZ

if you want a traffic light grand prix car then yeah bung in a 1JZ and have fun.

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Fri, 09 September 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1UZ, cams, extractors, manual, management, BAM!
Enchanter
Regular

July 2005
Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Fri, 09 September 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Fri, 09 September 2005 10:10

im yet to be inspired by responsiveness of my mates 1JZ MA61, thats not to say i dont like driving his car i love how nuts it is.

for a drivers car, Ed and Glen will tell u their N/A MA61's were wonderfully ballanced with the punch u needed to instantly break out of a corner. and i agree.

if thats what your really looking for my suggestion is 1UZ

if you want a traffic light grand prix car then yeah bung in a 1JZ and have fun.

Im not really after the traffic light grand prix stuff, although it is fun Wink
I did think on a 1uz for some time and I know it will fit, but by how much ?, Ive seem a few pics and it seems to be quite a sweeze, especially exhaust wise and a free flowing exhaust would be fairly important.

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Fri, 09 September 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm gonna back rob here - go make yourself a tits 1uz. supercharge it even Smile
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Fri, 09 September 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmmm 1UZ with sayyy 9psi of twin-screwed goodness should give around 600Nm.. surely that should be enough Wink
nahh, go 16psi... 700-800Nm.... poor tyres Sad
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Fri, 09 September 2005 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont get me wrong im not telling u to go 1UZ its my suggestion

best see if u can get yourself into the drivers seat (or at least the passenger seat) of a 1JZ ma61 to see for yourself.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Fri, 09 September 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the exhaust you have to get a little creative. you certainly wont be able to fit spaghetti tuned length extractors, but there's enough room for an acceptable system in there.
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Fri, 09 September 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
While I have nothing useful to contribute to this thread, a question I have seems relevant here.

Just want to know approximate costs of Supercharging the 1UZ and what sort of power gains would I be looking at?

I know I will probably get the "how long is a piece of string" comment, but give me a ball park figure.

I finally got to drive my celsior, while it does move better then I had expected of a big car, one always wants more. Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Fri, 09 September 2005 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7k bolt on kit.
128rwkw to 179rwkw.

But thats on stock ecu.

Shitload more gains with aftermarket ecu.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Fri, 09 September 2005 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Fri, 09 September 2005 11:06

the exhaust you have to get a little creative. you certainly wont be able to fit spaghetti tuned length extractors, but there's enough room for an acceptable system in there.

Might wanna rethink that.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Fri, 09 September 2005 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Locally they are seeing more rwkw than that from a stock ECU SC'd UZ. A good IC is the mani requirement as the stock ECU can be reprogrammed to suit. With the right setup 220-240rwkw should be doable.

For what it's worth my stock internal turboed UZ pumps out 320rwkw and is as responsive as pretty much any n/a engine i've had.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Fri, 09 September 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Fri, 09 September 2005 13:10

draven wrote on Fri, 09 September 2005 11:06

Might wanna rethink that.

?

I was under the impression that room was cramped in tehre for the 1UZ... or is it only cramped if you're trying to fit 2 turbos in there?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Fri, 09 September 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Turbo's.

Plenty of room for extractors.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Fri, 09 September 2005 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A 2JZ-GTE is a Sequential Twin Turbo, which will make the power come on earlier. Max torque of 426-453 at 3600-4000rpm (depending on version).

Even with the turbo lagging, the 3.0ltr engine should still provide you with a decent wack of torque to get up and move from idle, in something as light as a MA61.

Although having said that, recently I've become all about the N/A. And a worked 1UZ-FE would be... sooo awesome. Shocked

As others have said, find someone who has a 1UZ-MA61, and a 2JZ-MA61, get them to take you for a ride/let you drive, and see what you think.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Fri, 09 September 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhh love teh ENAY

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=getfile&id=9427
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Fri, 09 September 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This a picture thread now?

Allow me to contribute

http://www.conceptual.net.au/~peewee/extractors/on_motor_1.jpg

http://www.conceptual.net.au/~peewee/extractors/on_motor_2.jpg

http://www.conceptual.net.au/~peewee/eng_conv_2/twintake_2.jpg
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Fri, 09 September 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Someone say ALL MOTOR?

http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/JZX23/engine%20intake%20side.jpg
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/JZX23/engine%20exhaust%20side.jpg

[Updated on: Fri, 09 September 2005 07:45]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Fri, 09 September 2005 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you all seem to be missing one of these Razz

http://www.jagweb.com/aj6eng/sprintex.jpg
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Fri, 09 September 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not for long big boy..... Razz
http://members.optusnet.com.au/corona2jzge/Crown%20V8%20conversion/In%20place/engine%20bay%20003.jpg
Just have to find room for the unit and front mount in here somewhere......
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Fri, 09 September 2005 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fan-bloody-tastic Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Fri, 09 September 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wanna see more worked NA 1UZ's... DO IT... you know u wanna Laughing

that being said, anything with a good aftermarket supercharger would be good to see an dwould reap tasty rewards.

PS: Holden didn't need a turbo to create lag. You see they bolted the shoddiest 4 speed auto they could find onto the back of the genIII v8, and after nailing it, 'ya gotta wait like 5 seconds for anything to happen. Nice engineering. Why didn't I think of that! Rolling Eyes
Enchanter
Regular

July 2005
Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Fri, 09 September 2005 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ooooooaaahhhoooohhhhh

Im feeling all light headed now Razz

Hey gianttomato, how much would your 2j be putting out?
I really like the idea of 6 throttle bodies Very Happy

Are those 1uz pics with extractors the extractors that would fit into the MA61, and are there any probs with a twin exhaust under the car?

Cheers guys, nice pics one and all!!

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: responsiveness turbo vs NA Fri, 09 September 2005 11:13 Go to previous message
Fuel tank is on one side, so you'll need a custom tank to make dual outlets.

Its something I'm thinking about.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Enthusia > GT4 for drifting
Next Topic:f$%^kn bearings
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 02:25:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071370601654053 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.