Toymods » General Car Talk » need legal help against my mechanic

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

need legal help against my mechanic Sat, 03 September 2005 04:30 Go to next message
i only need some basic legal advice, i know most ppl here arent lawyers/solicitors ect ect, but, yeh...

my car died the other day, thinking it was a problem with my new elec dizzy, i got it sent to billy-bob and jessy-jo's* auto elec service to check it out

i get a call 3 hours later saying that the elec system is fine and the car doesnt run for another reason, they asked what i wanted to do, i said i'd pick it up {at this point i didnt realise that they has expanded to full mechanical services}, they also mentioned that my carbs were loose, i explained to them that i used "soft mount" gaskets and that they "look" loose but they were in-fact, tight.
Soft mount gaskets are a rubber o-ring mounted inside a 40mm or 45 mm hole in a thin metal sheet, the rubber gasket is approx 3mm thick and they do all the "sealing" and the metal sheet has the 2 mounting holes in it, all you then do is nip it up so the rubber o-ring compresses approx 30% {so it looks like there is an approx 2mm gap there}

now i got there and paid them of their services, they told me that they beleived that the fuel system may be at fault, so they pushed the car outside when they closed the shop and i came back later to do a bit of trouble shooting to work out the problem, the fuel pump was found to be at fault and not flowing any fuel,
So i got a new fuel pump the next day {today} and promptly installed it, cranked it over, primed the fuel system and away she went, but it idled really badly, i thouhgt it'd be because the fuel hasnt reached the carbs at full pressure yet, so i gave it a little blip and i felt it backfire against my hand, where the hell did that come from i thought, cause my hand was no where near the mouth, then i saw it, the tops were cracked off the top of both sides of one of the carbs, which has rendered them FAR beyond fixable.

now

obviously, i never asked this guy to tighten anything to do with my carby's, or to attempt to get it tune it in anyway {as i mentioned that it had only been tuned 12 hours before}

i'm pretty sure that i can make him pay for a new set of carby's including tuning, new solf mounts {cause mine will now be rooted}, towing to the tuners, tuning, rebuilding the new carbs if need be ect ect
  Send a private message to this user    
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: need legal help against my mechanic Sat, 03 September 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shown in the pic below is where they are broken, but ther are also broken in the same spot on the other side of the carb

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/6800/img68397wu.jpg
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: need legal help against my mechanic Sat, 03 September 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd try and find a lawyer that gives a free quote.

you might be NOT be able to do anything as you cant acutally prove that the carby things werent broken before they entered the work shop unless some one (ie the tunning place 12 hours before) can vouche for them being in good working order.

other wise the mechanic can just say it was like that when it came in.

the hardest part is proving that they broke the carby's.

have you called the work shop and asked them what they've got to say on the matter

ANOTHER way you might be able to go about it is the department of consumer affairs. they might be able to give advice on what to do aswell.

if i ever need take my car in to get work done on it i'm going to take photo's of just about everything and date them so if something like this happens i have proof.

but yeah i'd definatly ask a lawyer about your options becuase its definatly going to be a touch and go situation
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: need legal help against my mechanic Sat, 03 September 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lawyers would'nt bother touching this, they don't work for pennies Laughing

Try consumer affairs or Motor Trade Association.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: need legal help against my mechanic Sat, 03 September 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the main problem is that you'll have to prove that they were fine before they came into the shop. Did you have anyone with you when you tuned it?

If it was me, I'd be like look mate I told you over the phone they look loose and I just tuned them and I've got a dyno slip and the place where I dnyo'd it at will vouch that the car was in perfect shape because THEY tuned it 12 hours before I came to you. I don't want to get off on the wrong foot and I'm pretty busy so I don't want to go through lawyers and all that crap, besides I'm going to be coming here regularly for when I build my drift car.

BS that you were at the dyno place and have witnesses etc. so he'll think he's fucked and then even tell him (if he's that tight) that he can pay half and then half in another 2 weeks or something. At least that way you're going to get some money and once he's made the first payment he's admitting that he is at fault because he has given you the first half of the money so that should be proof enough if you do need to take it to court.

Also mentioning that you're going to be coming there all the time will mean he won't want to fuck over a long term customer.
I think
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: need legal help against my mechanic Sat, 03 September 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont say "I dont have time to go thru lawyers" - that smacks of "I don't have a legal leg to stand on, but I'm hoping I can force you to do this"

just say the "these weren't broken, now they are" if they say they didn't do anyhting, *then* say you were at a dyno place only X hours/days before and they were fine. if they still say no, then say you're going to DFT
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: need legal help against my mechanic Sat, 03 September 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dft??

i didnt get the tune done at a workshop, a friend did it, he has all the tools and i didnt have the $900 for the dyno tune
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: need legal help against my mechanic Sat, 03 September 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dft = dept fair trading.

how long before you went to the mech did your friend do the tune?

the dyno thing is basically a smoke screen, depending on how many laws your friend is willing to bend.

would look better if it was a workshop of course
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: need legal help against my mechanic Sat, 03 September 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you can find someone capable, you should be able to get them welded up. If you cant find anyone let me know and i'll see if I can get them done in the shop.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: need legal help against my mechanic Sat, 03 September 2005 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
car was tuned at 7.30 at night on w3ednesdaym car dies on thurs after noon, car was at shop at 12 midday on friday
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: need legal help against my mechanic Sat, 03 September 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how about we all just have some good ol hardcore sex with that chick in ur profile, and sort it out after that hey??? Razz Razz Razz Razz

bad luck bout that mechanic shit tho
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: need legal help against my mechanic Sat, 03 September 2005 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr DOHC wrote on Sat, 03 September 2005 17:28

dft??

i didnt get the tune done at a workshop, a friend did it, he has all the tools and i didnt have the $900 for the dyno tune

Yeah I know, the reason I said say you got it tuned at the dyno is because it's a lot better sounding proof to say you got it tuned at a dyno and the guys their will prove that there was nothing wrong with it beforehand because they tuned rather than saying 'my mate tuned it'.
BS it mate Smile
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: need legal help against my mechanic Sun, 04 September 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Document everything you remember, times, the phone call where they said your carbs were loose, etc. Then go see a lawyer, get a letter writen up and get the lawyer to send it to them, stating that if they do not get you two replacement solex' carbs legal action will follow. They are pretty inbred if they thought your carbs were loose. Feel for ya dude, paying for someone elses lack of knowledge.
Rob.C
Regular

July 2005
Re: need legal help against my mechanic Sun, 04 September 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Department of fair trading is the only way to go. But go and call their bluff as Draven said. Tell them, it was at the mechanics (your mate) and there was nothing wrong with them. You would like them to fix the carbs, if they say 'no' then ring the Dept of fair trading, right there in front of the guy, usually they shit, and then want to talk and co-operate.

But the hard part for you will be proving that there was nothing wrong with the carbs. Check your invoice, if there is mention of carb repairs etc, then you have got them.

Let us know how you get on with it.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: need legal help against my mechanic Sun, 04 September 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr DOHC,

can you pleas change you AVATAR it is a major distraction......now what was the question again !
deeps
Regular

November 2004
Re: need legal help against my mechanic Sun, 04 September 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn that sucks

try contacting the actual store and threaten legal action, they may do something about it

who is the hottie in ur av btw?
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: need legal help against my mechanic Sun, 04 September 2005 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that sucks.
The mechanic that installed my second 4ac. All the tubes for the throttle where mixed up, the bolts of the gearbox and engine mounts were all loose. Also had old engine oil and diferent spark plugs (old).
I hope you nail this guy down
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: need legal help against my mechanic Sun, 04 September 2005 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok before everyone starts getting all 'lets get this dodgy fuck', why dont you go see the bloke and politely tell him the situation. fair enough you might be shitty now, but most places will realise they have made a mistake and will want to rectify the problem rather than have you bad mouth the company and give them a bad rep.
i work in the trade, and every now and then you fuck up, we're only human, and if this happens we want to fix it. but id say 8 outta 10 times when a customer returns saying you fucked something, you havent and they are just trying to screw you over and make you fix an already existing problem or a new unrelated problem. fair enoguh this isnt the case in your situation but try the sensible approach first, dont start with the 'i got proof it was good before you got it' shit cause all that will make them think is your a smart arse.

give them the chance to do the right thing first, then if they are cunts, then make something of it.
Hybrid_86
Regular

October 2003
Re: need legal help against my mechanic Sun, 04 September 2005 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am a mechanic and i will tell you now.. most workshop motto's are "do not ever claim that you are responsible". My advice to you is to see your regular mechanic, friends, etc and have them write a signed letter stating the condition of the engine before it was sent to this mechanic in question.

any photographic evidence that you may have, ie photo's of the engine bay etc. He will claim that you have work on the vehicle after he had performed his work and damaged the components in question. See another mechanic and have him tell you in writing that touching the fuel pump wether it is mechnical or electrical will have no physical effect on the carby's and manifold.

get as much written evidence as possible, photo's, statements from friends etc. then threaten him with legal action and taking the story to the local newspaper. He will most likely break under the pressure of possibly losing much future cliental.
If he still doesn't crack. Then take it to small calims with the assistance of Dept. of Fair Trading.

Anyway, good luck.
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: need legal help against my mechanic Sun, 04 September 2005 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Being a brisbane resident I would like to know the name of this place so I can avoind it, please pm it to me or tell me on msn, thnx Smile
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: need legal help against my mechanic Mon, 05 September 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hybrid_86, where do you work? your place sounds like the kinda workshop that gives the rest of us a bad name, but of course as you have demonstrated there are places out there that dont give a stuff about customer service they are just happy to have your money.
try approaching the place nicely first, then if you get no satisfaction, take it further.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: need legal help against my mechanic Fri, 09 September 2005 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, called him up , was uber polite

he said he'd have a look at it

took FULL responsibility, no argument, get a new carb {my jets ect} cost him over $400

nice Very Happy
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: need legal help against my mechanic Fri, 09 September 2005 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr DOHC wrote on Sat, 10 September 2005 01:08

took FULL responsibility, no argument, get a new carb {my jets ect} cost him over $400

nice Very Happy

CONGRATS!!! Very Happy Very Happy
I'm real happy for you dude Very Happy
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: need legal help against my mechanic Fri, 09 September 2005 22:33 Go to previous message
Mr DOHC wrote on Sat, 10 September 2005 01:08

nice Very Happy

Glad to hear this worked out for the best.
Just remember to use this approach in the first place and the result is generally what you are looking for.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4k dont run?? help
Next Topic:Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 04:23:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006558895111084 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.