Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
u got GAS? Thu, 08 September 2005 06:35 Go to next message
considering the petrol prices are increasing..can someone tell me the pros and cons for GAS operated cars?

questions to guide your input:
1. What cars/models uses gas?
2. Gets more milage for 1 litre on gas compared to unleaded?
3. Rego fees stays the same?
4. etc etc
  Send a private message to this user    
meeves
Regular

July 2004
Re: u got GAS? Thu, 08 September 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. commos falcons some vans and utes u can hook cars up to run on lpg tho e.g there was a sprinter for sale on here that ran on gas
2 not sure but i know dual fuel u get ALOT of k's out of it
3 yeh i spose it would
4 thats not a question
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: u got GAS? Thu, 08 September 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u burn more gas than fuel to the litre but it still works out cheaper...
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: u got GAS? Thu, 08 September 2005 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I recall speaking to someone about this a while ago.

The jist was that you burn 1.3-1.4 times more LPG than fuel on average, (I also got the impression that that could be bettered if the engine was built specifically for LPG and not duel fuel.

Meaning that if you commo gets 500k's to a tank of fuel (70 litres) you will get about 350km on 70 litres of LPG in a duel fuel setup car.

500k's on fuel @ (say) $1.40 = $98

500k's on LPG @ (say) $0.46 = $45

This is theoretical based on disscussions with an LPG installer.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: u got GAS? Thu, 08 September 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont you loose a fair stint of power on gas though...i'm sure running about in the city it would be fine, but if you do alot of towing or have a heavy work ute you'd really notice the difference.

little of the subject but:

my freind tried to tell me that you get more k's per litre out of 98octane fuel then you do off normal unleaded, because its a higher octane, this would mean that you'd get a HEAP of k's of NOS then Confused
i've dubbed my friend an idiot
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: u got GAS? Thu, 08 September 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But I get more km off ultimate that 91 octane?! Im sure everyone else I know does to.

NOS doesnt have an octane, its an oxidising agent. I dont think its even flammable on its own!
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: u got GAS? Thu, 08 September 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what's the cheapest car that runs solely on gas? and what kinda car are they?

i wonder if i get a gas car i could save heaps?
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: u got GAS? Thu, 08 September 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not too many cars are straight Gas. Holden has a duel fuel option, or there are companies like Gas Research that build kits.

The loss of power I'm told is more to do with the whole Duel fuel thing, the engine is built to run on petrol (like 90ron) and you then put LPG through it which is like 105ron or somthing)

If you tune it you get similar results (SO I AM TOLD)

I would like to hear this as I'm seriously looking at building an LPG 1G-GTE looking at the fuel situation and the number of K's I do. but have performance base... Stradlater I'm looking at you... Razz

P.S I get more K's out of Optimax than ULP in the SS Ute Proven to myself several times.
EnFlaMEd
Regular

September 2003
Re: u got GAS? Thu, 08 September 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satoshi: I have an FJ20et running only LPG. For $20 I get 250-350kms of relatively hard driving.

Its cheaper to run than my 3k-c powered rolla and probably produces around 100kw more at the wheels.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 September 2005 07:46]

Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: u got GAS? Thu, 08 September 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
someone sell me a fj20et nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!

Shocked Shocked

btw..care explaining what is fj20et? Embarassed
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: u got GAS? Thu, 08 September 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know in canberra if your car runs on gas rego is cheaper!!
I LOVE MY LPG

L(p)G - Lifes Good.
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: u got GAS? Thu, 08 September 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FJ20et = nissan 2 litre turbo. Before the sr and ca.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: u got GAS? Thu, 08 September 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not to mention emissions being waived pretty much for conversions Wink

the timing requirements betwen gas and petrol are way different, so unless you can change spark maps, it is a big compromise.

it can be done cheaply and there are heaps of parts to mix and match with.

i think i will very likely be using gas for next project, using gaseous LPG injectors with megasquirt Razz
74ROLLA
Regular

July 2004
Re: u got GAS? Thu, 08 September 2005 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Run a '99 Nissan Patrol 4.5L Auto slushbox on duel fuel and constantly towing between 600kg to 1 tonne. Get 320km out of a gas tank, which costs around $33-00 to refill.

If Running on High octane fuel, has a little bit more power but not enough to worry about

Love the LPG!

Ford have just released a new BA falcon sedan dedicated LPG running 156kw out of there Barra 4 litre, and a shitload of torque
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: u got GAS? Fri, 09 September 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Somewhat along the lines of building a dedicated LPG engine would involve using an after market computer like Oldcorollas mentioned as with duel fuel you really only get 1 timing setup, and it is usually suited to petrol.
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: u got GAS? Fri, 09 September 2005 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just wait, everyone will spend all this money to convert their cars to LPG and the price will double because nobody uses petrol anymore and the oil companies need more profit, I remember when LPG was like 9c a litre, then people started using it.
74ROLLA
Regular

July 2004
Re: u got GAS? Fri, 09 September 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and I think the Gov't is intoducing an excise (which it currently doesn't have) in 2007/08? LPG will go up in price . .
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: u got GAS? Fri, 09 September 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satoshi wrote on Thu, 08 September 2005 18:00

someone sell me a fj20et nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!

Shocked Shocked

btw..care explaining what is fj20et? Embarassed

Nissan turbo motor out of the DR30 skyline coupe's, hi spec gazelle (not available in aus)
M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: u got GAS? Fri, 09 September 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
74ROLLA wrote on Fri, 09 September 2005 13:34

and I think the Gov't is intoducing an excise (which it currently doesn't have) in 2007/08? LPG will go up in price . .

Excise won't apply till 2012.
Was at the gas shop today for the tri-anual inspection and they are booked out till Febuary next year.Everyone wants gas on ther car now,including one customer who is paying the overtime bill to get the job done asap.

Edit For anyone who wants to work out the savings on gas then this might help as an indication.
http://www.ford.com.au/landing/egas/

[Updated on: Fri, 09 September 2005 04:17]

SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: u got GAS? Fri, 09 September 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crazy idea.... I was listening on the radio this morning and there was a guy there that said that CNG cost 15c per litre.. but the only downfall is that it takes 15-20mins to fill up a tank. Now 50c vs 15c isn't too bad but that's almost 10 times cheaper than ULP. But then again, the development of LPG is higher than CNG... still... interesting option.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: u got GAS? Fri, 09 September 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SmellyTofu wrote on Fri, 09 September 2005 17:22

Crazy idea.... I was listening on the radio this morning and there was a guy there that said that CNG cost 15c per litre.. but the only downfall is that it takes 15-20mins to fill up a tank. Now 50c vs 15c isn't too bad but that's almost 10 times cheaper than ULP. But then again, the development of LPG is higher than CNG... still... interesting option.

what are the tank pressures of LPG vs CNG???

thinking along the lines of...

LPG injectors need 15psi above manifold pressure..
20-30psi boost = = 35-45psi convertor exit pressure.

LPG tank pressure? minimum of 60-70psi?? is that enough??
if CNG is higher tank pressure then maybe it is better suited to FI apps with vapour injectors??

tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: u got GAS? Fri, 09 September 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But where can u readily get CNG? imagine going on a road trip, finding yourself in the middle of nowhere and the " shit ma, noone sells this crap!". Or is it sort of interchangable with LPG? you'd think there'b be issues...
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: u got GAS? Fri, 09 September 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CNG is probably a city solution... if you use a car predominately to potter about town and to pick up the groceries, then it isn't a problem. Fill up at home... but u r right.. the car won't be ever more than a city car and useless on road trips.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: u got GAS? Fri, 09 September 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
74ROLLA wrote on Fri, 09 September 2005 13:34

this is correct, my uncle (owns gas conversion business) was explaining to me last year that LPG is still considered an "experimental fuel" so it currently has no excises or major taxes on it, he told me by the time they finish taxing the ass out of it, it will cost just as much as rulp or a few cents less
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: u got GAS? Fri, 09 September 2005 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how would a 4age go under gas?
i know the euro cars have gas (and i mean like 600cc on gas Confused )
Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: u got GAS? Sat, 10 September 2005 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My old man has a minter 77 Holden Statesman caprice with a 308 duel fuel,

And it seems to run alot better on gas then it does on fuel?,

And yes it does burn more but in the end it is a hell of a lot cheaper, he fills his car up for like $30 lol

Cheers
EnFlaMEd
Regular

September 2003
Re: u got GAS? Sat, 10 September 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satoshi: check out www.fj20.com for info on the engine. Be sure to read up on the fj24 as well

240RS (later model)
FJ24
207kw@8000
264nm@6200 rpm

NA goodness.

towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: u got GAS? Sun, 11 September 2005 13:33 Go to previous message
rthy wrote on Sat, 10 September 2005 00:36

how would a 4age go under gas?
i know the euro cars have gas (and i mean like 600cc on gas Confused )

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/LPG.html From the UK, its in the rear of an mr2. So yeah it should be to bad.
Approx $2000 - $2500 to convert my ae82 to gas
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:exhaust sound
Next Topic:1990 starlet gt - manual gear box
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 22:34:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071628093719482 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.