Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 3TGTE how to remove timing chain?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
snadge
Occasional Poster

August 2005
3TGTE how to remove timing chain? Thu, 08 September 2005 12:57 Go to next message
I'm trying to remove the cylinder head from my 3TGTE engine, and have removed manifolds, cam cover and I'm up to the bit where you remove the chain. The 2TG engine manual I have says to just remove the pins in the cam gears (after rotating the engine to #1 TDC) but those pins seem to behind a fat bolt with large lip around it so I can't pull them out. Could this mean I'm not actually at TDC?

One problem is, I am having huge difficulty rotating the engine as the main crank pully has a custom crank angle sensor attached to it with 4 bolts instead of the usual bolt in the centre. So I'm using a metal bar in between 2 of the bolt heads to turn the engine over. (Very painful there must be a better way of doing this).

If anyone can share any advice on how to get the 3TGTE's cam chain off it would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3TGTE how to remove timing chain? Thu, 08 September 2005 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The bolts for the cam gears have to come off, then the pins can come out.
snadge
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: 3TGTE how to remove timing chain? Sat, 10 September 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay this might seem very novice, but i've just spent a good half an hour trying to get those cam bolts off without success. I'm using a 19ml ring spanner on the bolt, and an adjustable wrench on the cam to hold it steady. Try as I might, I just can't seem to get the darned things to budge. Is there some sort of a trick to this? Confused
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 3TGTE how to remove timing chain? Sat, 10 September 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats exactly how ive always removed them.
if its still too hard, leveridge is your friend, try some longer spanners or extending the ones u have with some strong pipe
snadge
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: 3TGTE how to remove timing chain? Sat, 10 September 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys. The old pipe extension on the ring spanner did the trick nicely. Smile I now have the cylinder head off with one problem.

I dropped one of the cam bolt washers down into the bottom of the engine somewhere. Sad It disappeared underneath the cam timing chain. If I'm lucky it will be sitting in the bottom of the sump and I can just pull the sump off and fish it out. Otherwise it could be a very expensive mistake. Any suggestions about where it might be or tricks for recovering it?
TE35
Regular

May 2003
Re: 3TGTE how to remove timing chain? Sun, 11 September 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Firstly, have fun...
Secondly:
I wonder if anyone has attempted to convert a 2TG or 3TGT to timing belt - ditching the chains all together. As in, use the pulleys off a 3SGE, and find a timing belt to fit...
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3TGTE how to remove timing chain? Mon, 12 September 2005 13:12 Go to previous message
snadge wrote on Sat, 10 September 2005 19:20

Thanks guys. The old pipe extension on the ring spanner did the trick nicely. Smile I now have the cylinder head off with one problem.

I dropped one of the cam bolt washers down into the bottom of the engine somewhere. Sad It disappeared underneath the cam timing chain. If I'm lucky it will be sitting in the bottom of the sump and I can just pull the sump off and fish it out. Otherwise it could be a very expensive mistake. Any suggestions about where it might be or tricks for recovering it?

Take the timing cover off and see if you can fish it out with a "pickle grabber" or a "magnet on a stick". These cost about $2 from your local basic bargain store. IF you are going to take the sump off anyway, then don't worry about it, it will show up.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Connections???
Next Topic:AE86 Battery flashing light problem
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:09:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0034489631652832 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.