Toymods » General Car Talk » ST162 dedicated thread

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 07 September 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
picsorban!

sorry, someone had to say it
  Send a private message to this user    
piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 07 September 2005 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
page no 57 YAY Shocked
GBC_069
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 07 September 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
141.9 L for unleaded !!!

crock of shit !!!!

saw today tonight thing tonight Razz and showed where petty prices go:
60c - manufacturing
55c - to lil johnny and his gst
5c to refiner's
13c to servo's
7c to some one else who has their foot in the bucket !!

hows that for a joke !!!! oh well the brit's are paying 2.25L !! so not too bad i spose.

and i dont think us n/a celica boys can really talk (specially those like me with SV21 gearboxes Laughing ) !!
340km and the gauge is a mm or two below the half mark !!!!

nick.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 07 September 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but the poms are a bunch of wankers lol haha no pun intended to any poms on here Razz
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 07 September 2005 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I only pay 1.20 per litre Very Happy

for 94octane fuel too, Very Happy

but it has 10% ethanol Crying or Very Sad

But that makes no difference to the fuel anyway Very Happy

sydney people get ripped off hehe, 37.7 cents was the amount for tax, the RACV do an average in the royal auto every month and publish it Smile
piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 07 September 2005 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also ive been told that the poms use less fuel in there cars Confused
GBC_069
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 08 September 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guys, i am selling my h/u , jus letting ya's know if anyone wants a cheap headunit.

heres the link to the post http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=80280&rid=7924&S=6edf9c9823eec32db94d810 66dd1fab2&pl_view=&start=0#msg_756772

yeh thats why all the poms drive ALi Gee boxes !!!!! lol

nick.
shooter
Occasional Poster

August 2005
icon7.gif  Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 08 September 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey im looking at getting a st162 1986 sx and its not regoed so i cant really ask the guy to take it for a drive , what are some common problems encountered when buying st162's at a cheap price , are they likely to have dodge gearboxes etc or what lol this is a first car so help me out please Razz
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 08 September 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check the syncros in the gearbox youll need to drive it first , rust in the boot sill thingo, rust in the sunroof if it has one , power steering pump/lines may be fuct... thats about all that really goes wrong with them seriously... few lil things but you gotta expect that
GBC_069
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 08 September 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gearbox
power steering pump seals
cv's
starter

thats my 2c on what i have found goes relatively easily !!!
also timing belt !! coz mine needs doing after 115,000km since its last change Rolling Eyes one day !!! Laughing
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 08 September 2005 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll find that a lot of the guys here that bought cheap st162's are now looking at replacing their engines. Anything around 200k's that hasn't been maintained properly is going to give you dramas. If the car you're looking at has high k's, then try to get the price down and budget for a new engine! Alternatively spend a bit more to get a better car that'll last a little bit before breaking down. Rolling Eyes

Like berad said, gearboxes usually have stuffed syncros, engines have dying bearings / blow smoke, rust in the A-pillars, under the doors, in the boot around the spare tyre etc...

If the car is under $3000 generally everything is rooted considering its age and the way that people drive sporty cars.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 08 September 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
starter is never rooted Razz u just need to ad a relay
piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 08 September 2005 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smashed_wombat wrote on Thu, 08 September 2005 18:03

If the car is under $3000 generally everything is rooted considering its age and the way that people drive sporty cars.

i got mine for 2500 with out any probs ;)engine went real well, but the engine decided play "im going to slowly die Evil or Very Mad " so now im in the process of building a new one Very Happy time to spend another 1-1500 grand Sad

smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 08 September 2005 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
piggy wrote on Thu, 08 September 2005 18:39

smashed_wombat wrote on Thu, 08 September 2005 18:03

i got mine for 2500 with out any probs ;)engine went real well, but the engine decided play "im going to slowly die Evil or Very Mad " so now im in the process of building a new one Very Happy time to spend another 1-1500 grand Sad

Exactly my point. Smile
GBC_069
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 08 September 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"starters never die"

MINE DID !!! and i even had a relay in there !!!
thanks to rob but it didnt cost much for the replacement starter motor !!! cheers dude.

"200,000 = shit"

i beg to differ, mine had 191,000 on the clock when i got it, and sure it had its teething problems, clutch slave, power steering, (alt, starter) ok i am startin to kick myself , but i paid 3000 and it came from the depths of the western suburbs !!! however i think i have same "tired" problem in the near future.

nick.
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 08 September 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i payed 149.8 or somethin 2nite !!!! absolute bullshit
piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 08 September 2005 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine only had 160,000 Sad
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 09 September 2005 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got mine at 180,000 for $4000, Went perfrect for a year or so, now at 210,000 and after a good years floggin, its starting to show its age Razz thats why I have the engine in the shed being SLOWLY rebuilt. one day it will get in there Razz

I too had a starter problem, but thanks to rob got out of that very cheap. Come to think of it, every problem I have had has been made much cheaper thanx to all on this thread. Keep up the good work fellas

Cheers
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 09 September 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got the post mortem on my car from the mechanic. He says the gagin pin broke, and the engine is full of metal shards. Probably damaged the bore, so its a big job to fix.

I'm looking at picking up a gen 2 3SGE for a reasonable price, which will be happening in the coming weeks. I've got a 1991 Pulsar that I'm getting around in while the Celica is off the road, which hopefully won't be too far away.

The 3SGE I'm looking at picking up has its flywheel, which may be an improvement over the gen 1 item. It's got the ECU, wiring and loom, but not exhaust manifold.

I'm thinking of any mods I should do while the engine is going to be out. Right now I've got a 2.25" cat back system and a custom intake with a pod filter. I did the clutch about 8,000k's ago, but I was thinking if I found some cheap extractors or lighter flywheel, I'd consider putting those in. In my mind, front and rear swaybars and upgrading to twin piston calipers would be a better investment, so I wouldn't do either (extractors or flywheel) unless they were going cheap.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 09 September 2005 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe some coil-overs? Razz lol
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 09 September 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha Smiley = Too bad I just sold them Smiley =

On the bright side, they're funding this repair work, which wouldn't be feasible if I'd kept them.

I passed up buying a 3SFE for $200 and just doing a cheap repair on the engine. My gamble is that I'll be able to find a buyer that will appreciate a fresh gen 2 swapped in. Fingers crossed.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 09 September 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GBC_069 wrote on Thu, 08 September 2005 22:43

"starters never die"

MINE DID !!! and i even had a relay in there !!!
thanks to rob but it didnt cost much for the replacement starter motor !!! cheers dude.

"200,000 = shit"

i beg to differ, mine had 191,000 on the clock when i got it, and sure it had its teething problems, clutch slave, power steering, (alt, starter) ok i am startin to kick myself , but i paid 3000 and it came from the depths of the western suburbs !!! however i think i have same "tired" problem in the near future.

nick.

yes but they usualy dont die just because yours did doesnt make it common Razz

i got a dint in my panel do u Razz kind of thing haha Razz
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 10 September 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did my engine bay today sorry about the huge pics this computer is fuct once again and wont let me use any of my photo programs

caME up pretty good

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/beradg/black-enginebay.jpg

lol it looks like i painted over the super resoponsive sticker but thats just how it turned out i peeled it off and all that jazz but still is there ohh well ill rivet my mod plate over it haha

[Updated on: Sat, 10 September 2005 09:53]

TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 10 September 2005 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a new addition to my car Smile

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/8821/kit8tg.jpg

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/4009/kit26kf.jpg
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 10 September 2005 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what u do ? lol i havnt seen ur car so i dont know wats doen Razz
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD-ST162 wrote on Sun, 11 September 2005 07:03

SSV Front Bar, Side Skirts and Rear Bar!!

Looks hot! Best looking pre-facelift model around Smiley =
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much it set u back for the whole kit unpainted just delievered? i dont really want the rear bar but wouldnt mind the front bar and skirts
GBC_069
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey , jus noticed yet again in TRD-162 piccy's the back windscreen wiper,

how come on some celicas they sit horizontal and some vertical when off ? or do you turn them off at the bottom and they stop ?

jus wondering as mine sits vertical !!!

nick.

ps. that bodykit all painted up looks sick !!! how much was painting ??
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My rear wiper also sites horizontal, i suspect that series 1 st162 came with horizontal rear wipers and series 2 came vertical? but i noticed my wipers are different to TRD_162 as his kinda goes on a upward angle then horizontal, mines just straight...odd..
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks awesome Adrian, lovin the look mate.

the series 1 rear wiper 85-87 had a horizontal wiper, and the facelift model series2 had a vertical rear wiper, among other little differences.

i think they changed it to vertical because the horizontal wiper catches water and accumilates dirt on the wiper blade.

warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
engine bay looks really shiney Brad, comb your hair on type of shiney, when is the rest of the car happening mate. Wink
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys just sorts an EOI into my rear spoiler on my car,

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/Jorrs/KIF_0213.jpg

its of an EVO 4 i believe and comes with built in LED brake lights. just seeing wat someone would pay for it, its in good nick and yeh just seeing wat someone will pay for it
cheers
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My theory is that the series 2 wiper sits vertical so it doesnt block the rear brake light on the hatch.

the series 1 didnt come with the "3rd" brake light.
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well it was $730 for the lot...

Including the side door protectors,
I did all the painting,
Front bar already came painted, I did the side skirts, door panels and Rear bar, as yet the door panels aren't on!

Thanks again for all your comments, I love it too!

[Updated on: Sun, 11 September 2005 05:51]

warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aust162 wrote on Sun, 11 September 2005 15:49

My theory is that the series 2 wiper sits vertical so it doesnt block the rear brake light on the hatch.

not all of the series2 came with the brake light.

Jorrs car is a series 2 and doesnt have a brake light. I have seen several without, only the ones with the 17 digit VIN number got the brake light.
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had the wiring, but not the light itself. Confused
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aust162 wrote on Sun, 11 September 2005 15:49

nah, my series 1 came with the 3rd brake light on the rear tail gate window
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fair enough Smile

Well does anyone have a horizontal wiper setup, with the hatch brake light aswell??

Mine doesn't have the hatch brake light Sad
temptation
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what do u mean by 17 digit VIN number?
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
temptation wrote on Sun, 11 September 2005 19:28

what do u mean by 17 digit VIN number?

the early celica 85-88 VIN # started with "ST162 - XXXXXXX"

the later ones around 88 to the end of the series VIN # was "JT764STGXXXXXXXXX"

Karl
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wonder why toyota made some celicas with the 3rd brake light and some without, anyone have a logical explanation? maybe they thought it was rice Laughing
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ST162GT-R wrote on Sun, 11 September 2005 20:15

i wonder why toyota made some celicas with the 3rd brake light and some without,
anyone have a logical explanation? maybe they thought it was rice Laughing

i agree Razz what other reason would it be.

this is the guy that decided. Razz

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v293/warrior007/rice.gif
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daaaammmmmnnn...more rice then fast and the furious and 2 fast 2 furious combined Razz
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Engine bay looks shiny as Brad- i started cleaning my other bay out with parts claner and a brush the other day but i cant spray it out yet.

Adrian - looks shit-hot dude all painted up. Very jealous
Howd u go at the dyno day?

Yeah my series1 has the horizontal wip[er and my series2 has the vertical but no 3rd brake light.

Jorrs-how much do u want for the wing and can the boot still be opened ok?It looks likes its mounted very close to each side of the hatch.

St162gt-r, when are you gonna get some pcs up of the respray?

Catcha guys
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StuC wrote on Sun, 11 September 2005 21:20

St162gt-r, when are you gonna get some pcs up of the respray?

Catcha guys

Respray? i never had a respray on the car...
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, i meant jonchai

Either way, whoever it was, hurry up!
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep boot opens perfect with it, ask karl Razz
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ummmmmm and price, i have no idea, im just seeing whether its worth pulling of and selling, just seeing wat people would pay i guess.
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seeing as the wiring was already there i went and bought a led brakelight from autobarn and stuck it in. Dont know about you guys but apparently my brake lights aren't that much brighter than my parkers... had a few close calls lately and thought it might be a good idea! Razz
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe yak yak Embarassed
The car's sitting pretty in my backyard
I use my bro's camera which he has taken with him until Monday.
I still have a few things to tidy up before its ready for a shoot, like the bonnet pins should be on saturday, and the cold air pipe needs to go back on. i might even remove the stickers to aviod the rice comments.
I'm also flat out with uni work so if you're lucky, pics will be up next week Confused maybe! Rolling Eyes
^^^excuse^^^

the REAL reason:
I dont want my car to appear on the same page as TRD_ST162's coz it has minimal cosmetic mods and therefore, will look comparably lame. Apart from my wheels (which are 17's and look wwaayy cooler) the car is stock looking and hence don't have much visual appeal. dont hold ur breath for a car that may dissapoint in the 'sexiness' appeal
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jonchai wrote on Sun, 11 September 2005 22:32

hehe yak yak Embarassed
The car's sitting pretty in my backyard
I use my bro's camera which he has taken with him until Monday.
I still have a few things to tidy up before its ready for a shoot, like the bonnet pins should be on saturday, and the cold air pipe needs to go back on. i might even remove the stickers to aviod the rice comments.
I'm also flat out with uni work so if you're lucky, pics will be up next week Confused maybe! Rolling Eyes
^^^excuse^^^

the REAL reason:
I dont want my car to appear on the same page as TRD_ST162's coz it has minimal cosmetic mods and therefore, will look comparably lame. Apart from my wheels (which are 17's and look wwaayy cooler) the car is stock looking and hence don't have much visual appeal. dont hold ur breath for a car that may dissapoint in the 'sexiness' appeal

the only way is to get a move on and get onto the next page Razz
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yepnext page...
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, next page Razz
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
has anyone done a badass brake upgrade yet? Seeing as project gearbox seems destined for the 'too hard' basket I'm looking for otherways to blow my money. Rolling Eyes
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 11 September 2005 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Call me a whore, but on my screen we're not on the same page anymore jonchai? Razz Who's cars haven't we seen yet?
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 12 September 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My super itc is nearly in, just have to tune it.
Just out of interest it would be a good place to mention that I have a redback muffler to suit a st162 Liftback SX (or ST i think), Its a damn nice note from even a stock motor, Smashed Wombat has heard it.
Inlet size is 2.25" and the tip is 5" i think..
Redback brand.
It has all the mounting brackets for a st162 so all you have to do is get the end welded up...
Anyone interested you can PM me
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 12 September 2005 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
got my engine in sought of 2 mounts lol thats enough for today

730 fuck thats alright... brand new for the kit?
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 13 September 2005 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Front Bar is second hand but painted in 2 pak..

The rest was brand new!
micster
Newcomer

August 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 13 September 2005 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Aircon Compresser is starting to lockup. Does anyone in Sydney have a spare they want to sell??
piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 13 September 2005 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
hi there just a quick question do any of you have a ruff idea on how much about a set on midrange cams would be for a 3sge?
Pages (63): [ «  <  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: '76 Corona MKII
Next Topic:Old photos
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 05:01:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.014110088348389 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.