Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Impact DRFT
Regular

November 2004
    none
AE 86 Battery problem 'pissing me of ' Sat, 03 September 2005 15:11 Go to next message
my 86 seems to drain my battery really fast i dont know whats going on but i already bought 2 battery and they get drain out in three days i just bought one 2 days ago and now its flat, if anybody there that had the same problem need some HELP!
  Send a private message to this user    
KOPDIS
Regular

June 2002
Re: AE 86 Battery problem 'pissing me of ' Sat, 03 September 2005 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dunno mate cant help you with the problem, but maybe invest in a battery charged, alot cheaper than buying new batteries every 3 days, GL
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE 86 Battery problem 'pissing me of ' Sat, 03 September 2005 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you have a voltage leak
that or your alternator isnt working
when the car is on, get a multimeter across the terminals on the battery. if it reads 13+ (fully charged) your alt is ok
if not... investigate
Impact DRFT
Regular

November 2004
    none
Re: AE 86 Battery problem 'pissing me of ' Sat, 03 September 2005 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill check on that and see, also my car intends to lose a lot of power every time i press the clutch also i charge my two new battery four times.
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: AE 86 Battery problem 'pissing me of ' Sat, 03 September 2005 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charging your batterys is just putting the problem off. Down to supercheap with you and spend 10 bucks on a multimeter. With the car ticking over take a battery reading. You should be seeing around 14 volts with nothing electrical on in the car. Now turn on your lights and see what soprt of reading its giving, it can drop a little but you dont really want to go below about 12.9- 13. If you get a low voltage when the car is ticking over then your not charging. Test out your alternator connections, charging fuse and alternator belt. If all this checks out then test for a drain, set your multi meter on amps and put it between your positive terminal and clip, your instruction booklet for the multimeter will tell you exactly how. See how much amps or mA your drawing with the key out of the ignition and nothing else on and compare this to factory specs as I cant remember the proper levels at the moment. Good luck mate..
Impact DRFT
Regular

November 2004
    none
Re: AE 86 Battery problem 'pissing me of ' Sun, 04 September 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thks for the tip Maurice c ill try that and see, do i need to get a new alternator if thats the problem not shure about that and my 86 is runing on a stock 4 ac auspec.
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: AE 86 Battery problem 'pissing me of ' Sun, 04 September 2005 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the alternator isn't giving correct charge then you'll have to replace it or get it reconditioned. You'll get a second hand one from the wreckers for about 40-50 bucks. But unfortunately theres no guarantee with a second hand one, it might be totaled as well. Try and find one thats got a replacement Bosch clawpole that looks fresh.

[Updated on: Sun, 04 September 2005 13:35]

poh_86
Regular

November 2004
Re: AE 86 Battery problem 'pissing me of ' Mon, 05 September 2005 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*edit double post*
*forum n00b*

[Updated on: Mon, 05 September 2005 00:27]

poh_86
Regular

November 2004
Re: AE 86 Battery problem 'pissing me of ' Mon, 05 September 2005 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
either that or you havent tightened your leads enough

loose connection, very bad,
Impact DRFT
Regular

November 2004
    none
Re: AE 86 Battery problem 'pissing me of ' Fri, 09 September 2005 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its tight alright, i also got the battery light on says charge even though i got a new battery
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: AE 86 Battery problem 'pissing me of ' Fri, 09 September 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Impact DRFT wrote on Fri, 09 September 2005 11:09

its tight alright, i also got the battery light on says charge even though i got a new battery

that almost narrows it down to the alternator then
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AE 86 Battery problem 'pissing me of ' Fri, 09 September 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Impact DRFT wrote on Fri, 09 September 2005 11:09

and this didn't strike as oddd enough to put in your first post.

your alternator sounds fucked. check the voltage, and then take alternator to auto elec to have reco'd.

i would suggest you just change the brushes and clean to contacts but Rolling Eyes
Impact DRFT
Regular

November 2004
    none
Re: AE 86 Battery problem 'pissing me of ' Fri, 09 September 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweet thnks for the help pplz, i forgot to put down the charge light before.
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: AE 86 Battery problem 'pissing me of ' Fri, 09 September 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Impact DRFT wrote on Fri, 09 September 2005 16:42

Sweet thnks for the help pplz, i forgot to put down the charge light before.

You didn't think of trying to work why this light was on before forking out on more batteries?

Did you think that the battery you fitted was in some way faulty, and that getting another would solve this problem?

Use a bit of logic and you'll prevail in the end..
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: AE 86 Battery problem 'pissing me of ' Fri, 09 September 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try turning your lights off Razz
Fujiwara_ToFu
Regular

March 2004

Re: AE 86 Battery problem 'pissing me of ' Fri, 09 September 2005 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it ain't the alternator, what could the problem be??

If i rebooted a completely dead battery via jump start, car runs fine for 20 minutes and refuses to crank over again and it's NOT the battery (cuz it's new) does it mean the alternator is working?

Any ways to check the functionality of an alternator without a meter?

-Jay
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: AE 86 Battery problem 'pissing me of ' Fri, 09 September 2005 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
easy way to check your alternator without a meter. run down to autobarn, ask them for the cheapest multimetre they have that will do the job, then run back home, and test away.
and the bonus is u have a multimetre next time u need one Razz
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AE 86 Battery problem 'pissing me of ' Fri, 09 September 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Multimeters are so damn cheap that you'd be silly to not buy one and test the voltage. You should see something like 14.5V, but if you don't it could be the alternator on the way out. Every car i've checked is above 14V when the car is running.
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: AE 86 Battery problem 'pissing me of ' Sat, 10 September 2005 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My multimeter was 9.95 from jaycar and does everything you'd be likely to need
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: AE 86 Battery problem 'pissing me of ' Sat, 10 September 2005 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this link has some "battery basics" PDF files that you need, on the bottom of its page.

the light on you dash does NOT indicate anything about the battery or its condition, and it may be on or off even without a battery in the car. it indicates the alternator/generator output voltage, or that its drive belt is off/loose.

http://www.autoshop101.com/autoshop31.html

Fujiwara_ToFu - the "newness" of a battery doesn't matter if it has been discharged/drained and the charging system isn't working & charging it back up.

disconnect a battery cable when running and DO NOT raise the rpm.
if it doesn't have an underdrive pully, it will run on the alt. if & when it is working.
any sparks near a battery that's venting hydrogen gas, may explode.
Fujiwara_ToFu
Regular

March 2004

Re: AE 86 Battery problem 'pissing me of ' Sun, 11 September 2005 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allencr: cool. Thanks heaps.

I'll get that meter too Razz

-Jay
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AE 86 Battery problem 'pissing me of ' Sun, 11 September 2005 17:08 Go to previous message
well if all that fails -

Disconnect the battery completely, - and with the resistance (impedance) function of the multimeter, measure the resistance between the battery terminals. If there is a short in there somewhere - perhaps a systematic isolation of components / wiring sections might help.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:T50 - Electronic speedo sensor?
Next Topic:Anyone got tips to make paint match?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:41:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.007667064666748 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.