Toymods » General Car Talk » Looking for job - Apprentice Mechanic

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CoronaC
Regular

June 2004
Looking for job - Apprentice Mechanic Sat, 03 September 2005 20:22 Go to next message
Hey, im looking for a 1st year apprentice mechanic job so I though I might give the forums a go, so if anyone out there is looking to employ or knows of a shop/dealership thats looking for a 1st year apprentice in the Western sydney area then please pass the details too me.

Thanks for any help

cheers
chris
  Send a private message to this user    
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Looking for job - Apprentice Mechanic Sun, 04 September 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2 ways to do it.

first is to call up places you would like to work and ask them if they could spare 10 minutes of theyre time for you to come see them. ideally this will be smallish privately owned places rather than big places. if you cant find a smaller place to give you some time, move up to bigger places.

secondly call up AGT, they are an agency that gives mechanics work. if you go to them and do ok in the test they WILL find you a job but most likely at a dealership and they do skim a bit of your pay for your entire apprenticeship.

having said that, dont be a mechanic.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Looking for job - Apprentice Mechanic Sun, 04 September 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i agree dont be a mechanic and u got 1 in a million chance of getting into the performance side of things which is what everyone wants to be in..
MX73_drifter
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: Looking for job - Apprentice Mechanic Sun, 04 September 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i want to be a be a rep for hk's Very Happy. i dont think its gonna happen
shezza
Regular

March 2005
Re: Looking for job - Apprentice Mechanic Sun, 04 September 2005 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im pretty sure there r plenty of open spots. Just go to yahoo au search and type in job search. You will get about 4 decent job searching sites and search away. I found the gov one the best www.jobsearch.gov.au
CoronaC
Regular

June 2004
Re: Looking for job - Apprentice Mechanic Wed, 07 September 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been around to some of the local shops and ask, they all seam to be busy but not busy enough to employ apprentice, even tried the toyota dealership in kingswood but they werent looking for anyone at that time, checked on jobsearch.gov.au doesnt seam to be many near me (within 1 hour drive at least).

Any reason why a dealrship would skim your pay?

Why shouldnt I become a mechanic?
Im not trying to get into the performance side although that would be even better and unless im able to find someother job then theres nothing else i can realy do right now so might as well be something im interested in

cheers
chris
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Looking for job - Apprentice Mechanic Wed, 07 September 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the dealership isn't skimming the pay, its the agency that finds you the job at one that does.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Looking for job - Apprentice Mechanic Thu, 08 September 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats right.

be a mechanic if you want to, it aint that bad. there are pros and cons with any job. heres a couple:

PROS:
- learn how to work on your car, learn how to get performance
- get contacts in the trade = cheaper parts
- make money on the side (cash jobs for people)
- if you get sick of it, complete trade anyway that way you got something to fall back on

CONS:
- very poor income
- always dirty, cuts verywhere
- no real prospects to earn more money unless you become head mechanic at a dealership or start your own business
- people automatically think your ripping them off, even if you know them Rolling Eyes
- did i mention the pay sux?
Ko Ko
Regular

May 2003
Re: Looking for job - Apprentice Mechanic Thu, 08 September 2005 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey EVOSTI,
Saw u again the other week!
Besides that dude, from experience try out the trade yourself and do it for your own reasons and not merely for money. If you dont like it, like evosti said finish the trade and continue on something that is of interest.
Most importantly if u have enough job satisfaction from working as a mechanic you cant go wrong. That being said I think others have their own opinion to it.

Good luck and I hope you find your job or an alternate career path
Eddy
CoronaC
Regular

June 2004
Re: Looking for job - Apprentice Mechanic Thu, 08 September 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Thu, 08 September 2005 21:39

thats right.

be a mechanic if you want to, it aint that bad. there are pros and cons with any job. heres a couple:

PROS:
- if you get sick of it, complete trade anyway that way you got something to fall back on

CONS:
- very poor income
- no real prospects to earn more money unless you become head mechanic at a dealership or start your own business
- people automatically think your ripping them off, even if you know them Rolling Eyes

The only cons that i dont really like are the poor income and no real job prospects, more money would always be good. Also apprentices only earn around $300/wk right? and it goes up slightly each year of the apprenticeship, is that about right?
I've been trying to find a kind of local one, but most of them are pretty small places, dodgy or just not looking to employ an apprentice which is gona make it hard with these fuel prices if i have to travel a fair distance and end up having 1/2 pay going on petrol.

Even if i stay for the 4 years of the apprenticeship to become qualified i can still look for a different job after its done.

I've been trying to find other careers options, but all that seams to be around this area are laborers and sales type jobs, i would go for a laborers job but last one i was in fucked up my back (not enough to do damage luckily). so any hints on what else would be a good career option?

cheers
chris
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Looking for job - Apprentice Mechanic Thu, 08 September 2005 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
small place is what you want!
when i started my apprenticeship it was $200 per week first year, it goes up each year obviously. prob closer to $250 per week first year nowdays.
i say give it a go, its only four years of your life if you dont like it, or if you REALLY dont like it obviously you could leave in the first year.

maybe consider boiler maker? id love to do that but i dont wanna go through another four years of apprentice wages again.
i know there some places that are paying $60K plus first year outta apprenticeship, thats pretty good money i reckon.
CoronaC
Regular

June 2004
Re: Looking for job - Apprentice Mechanic Thu, 08 September 2005 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So either a small workshop or a dealership would be best places to find? also most of the places close to me are small and most likly wont be looking for a apprentice or have already taken one on. I've already asked at a few of them and one of them (the one i use as my mechanic now) said that many of the workshops are closing due to less business these days and to give the MTA a ring to see if they could possiably find a job for me. Worth a try?

cheers
chris
pkt-rkt
Regular

March 2005
    vz
Re: Looking for job - Apprentice Mechanic Fri, 09 September 2005 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Refrigeration / aircon mechanic , i am second year and its dam good pay for tradeys some are on 25- 35 an hr depends what company. Also if you like using your hands and using ur brain its good , involves 70% electrical 20%refrigeration 10%takeaway food
CoronaC
Regular

June 2004
Re: Looking for job - Apprentice Mechanic Sat, 10 September 2005 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$25-35/hr even for apprentices?

Quote:

involves 70% electrical 20%refrigeration 10%takeaway food
Laughing Laughing
Too bad im not the best with sparkie type jobs, probably electrocute myself when its not even pluged in Razz
sounds like another option though, could alway learn how not to kill myself when fixing fridges

cheers
chris
mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: Looking for job - Apprentice Mechanic Sun, 11 September 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Thu, 08 September 2005 19:39

thats right.

PROS:

CONS:
- very poor income
- people automatically think your ripping them off, even if you
know them Rolling Eyes

As a first year apprentice, 7.5 months into it feel like i can say something.

the odds arent quite like 1 in a million to get in the performance side. I had nothing to do one holidays, and i just started to ring up a few performance shops, casually, some said no, one said yes, so the next weekend, i went down to see him..asked if i could come out for a week....did fairly well i guess (1st day i stripped out an ae86...that ae86 is now mine Very Happy)

so next holidays i was asked back. must have left an impression, coz before the end of the holidays i had him asking me if i wanted a full time spot Smile...which means i had to throw away year 12 , and was thinking i was going into a extremently low paying job...but i bit the bullit, and signed away 4 years of my life.

so dude, just ring around, what have you got to loose?

i was lucky, got into the 'performance' side of this pretty quick.

they'll be some days when you think,' oh fuck this, i want out' but its only 4 years, a future employer will love it if you have a qualification under your belt...and guess what they see when they read that you have only done 2 years of an apprneticeship...means nothing.

pay isnt that bad, i started off getting 220/wk now pushing 300/wk..worst bit is that my fingerprints have dirt imbedded in them, and women dont like dirty hands...

one tip i can say, is to wear gloves, sure u loose that feel, but if u start now...you'll be just the same with them on as off Smile...and you dont screw up your hands... Razz
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Looking for job - Apprentice Mechanic Sun, 11 September 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gloves are for pussies, chics dig scars Wink
PMP020
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Looking for job - Apprentice Mechanic Sun, 11 September 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
being a motor mechanic is chill

ima 3rd year now and loving it. and when ya live at home and dont have any debits the cash isnt that bad. its enough for me 2 buy corollas.

and yes the connections you get are awesum makes part sourcing alot quicker and cheaper.

GO MOTOR MECHANICS

wel actually im a "automotive service technician" doesnt that sound sexy.

cheers scott
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Looking for job - Apprentice Mechanic Sun, 11 September 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well after 10 yrs of being mechanic
most of it in performance its not all that wrapped up as it seems

u have to work longer hours sometimes

workin on rally cars or race cars and there is a race meeting u could easily work up to 12 midnight or 2 am just to get car to the track the next day

i did like it while being an apprentice but as yrs go by it started to get annoying not to bad but the benefits are not that great

working on yr own car when u have just worked 40 to 50 hrs a week on other peoples cars is not very exciting

and these days everything is a bolt on

all these jap cars is bit boring these days

i love workin on old cars mind u the pay isnt as good cause of the long hours but u get alot of enjoyment working on 100 thou to 150 thou dollar classic cars being restored from scratch
Megz
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Looking for job - Apprentice Mechanic Sun, 11 September 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey mate, if you are not sure if you wanna do it or not... you might wanna look into a pre-employment automotive course at tafe.. It is the equivilant of doing your 1st year apprenticeship and you learn a shit load! I started it in July and am loving it... altho it is pretty easy course, they hook you up with workplacement and usually a job.. I am doing my work placement at a performance shop and it is awesome most of the time...
Anyway goodluck mate. i was in the same dillema as you at the beginning of this year.
Cheers
Michael
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Looking for job - Apprentice Mechanic Sun, 11 September 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IM about 7 motnhs into 1st year and its great. I was at TAFE?Uni beforehand and was finding it a bit boring. So i signed up to Apps Vic(agency) and thy found a placement for me - Mercedes dealership which is great. I think i probably wont learn as much about other cars but bolts are bolts right and it can all be used.

Im making about 230 a week but am trying to get that bumped up, plus getting allowances and extra helping(cash) on the side. Trade school is good too as you gfet to go in, work on your car, do the all of the bookwork and learn about toher cars that u dont work on.

After it all im going back to uni to finish my degree and see what happens from there. If you're interested give it a shot-If u dont like it or dont want to do it for whatever reason pull out.
What do u have to lose?
mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: Looking for job - Apprentice Mechanic Sun, 11 September 2005 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sideshow wrote on Sun, 11 September 2005 19:48

working on yr own car when u have just worked 40 to 50 hrs a week on other peoples cars is not very exciting

yes, yes and yes....im now at my workplace 7 days week, with 2 rally cars on the go, then my car staying there...its hard to find the effort to get stuck into it Embarassed

and ive got enough scars to satisfy teh ladies right now EVOSTi! Very Happy
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Looking for job - Apprentice Mechanic Sun, 11 September 2005 17:18 Go to previous message
StuC wrote on Sun, 11 September 2005 22:48

After it all im going back to uni to finish my degree and see what happens from there. If you're interested give it a shot-If u dont like it or dont want to do it for whatever reason pull out.
What do u have to lose?

Does this mean you're doing this thing from vic apps while @ uni? Or did you defer from uni to do this vic apps thing to learn about cars and then you're going back?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:New car (well not new...but new to me)
Next Topic:exhaust sound
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 22:02:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060629844665527 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.