Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CuRtana
Regular

December 2002
Sandblasting RA2x engine bay Tue, 04 February 2003 12:47 Go to next message
I am getting the engine bay on my RA2x celica sandblasted, I was wondering whether I have to remove the metal fuel and brake lines that run from the engine bay under the car, and what do I do about the rubber grommits in the firewall for the heater hoses, air con etc, do they have to be removed? Any help would be much appreciated

Damian
  Send a private message to this user    
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon4.gif  Re: Sandblasting RA2x engine bay Wed, 05 February 2003 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when it comes to sand blasting, make sure you get everything out of the way. you also have to be carfull that it does not warp the body.
JUZZO
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon4.gif  Re: Sandblasting RA2x engine bay Wed, 05 February 2003 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when it comes to sand blasting, make sure you get everything out of the way. you also have to be carfull that it does not warp the body.
JUZZO
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Sandblasting RA2x engine bay Wed, 05 February 2003 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What you need to consider is if you don't remove the brake/fuel lines you need to ensure that you can apply the proper corrosion prevention measures (treat-prime-paint) Make sure you cover up all your plumbing too, you don't want them full of sand.

With sandblasting it removes the factory primer, therefore it is important that you properly treat the surfaces for corrosion prevention.

The firewall and inner guards should be thick enough or have enough shape to resist deformation during sandblasting.
CuRtana
Regular

December 2002
Re: Sandblasting RA2x engine bay Wed, 05 February 2003 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why should sandblasting warp the body? Is removing the brake lines and fuel lines a pain? and do I move the rubber grommits in the firewall or just cover them up?

Basically the engine bay has been painted white at some stage and it obviously wasnt primed as the white paint is now peeling off showing a lovely green underneath. I just want to get the engine bay back to a stage where i can paint it without having to sand the engine bay myself which would be a major pain Smile
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sandblasting RA2x engine bay Wed, 05 February 2003 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My mate is sandblasting my engine bay maybe as we speak if its not already finished.. Because we're replacing the fuel lines anyhow they dont matter so much, u shouldnt have to remove them tho if they are gonna stay.. Just strip down as much else as u can. You should have the entire bay empty before sanding/finishing. Cover up he grommets in the firewall or remove them would probably be your best bet. Replace all the little things like that that are cheap, remove engine plates tire placards, brake/clutch master cyl and booster etc..

Best as its been said is to have as little in the way of what u want sandblasted, so basically strip it down to as bare as possible then cover/block up what needs it.

If i knew how to post pictures ive got some of the engine bay of my ra28 just after high pressure cleaned, and prepped for sandblasting.

Regular

December 2002
Re: Sandblasting RA2x engine bay Thu, 06 February 2003 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, if I remove the grommits from the firewall, what should I use to block up the holes? bits of cloth or what. I think I will leave the fuel and brake lines in there if they arent going to get damaged.

Does anyone know how much new grommits cost and where I can get them in case i stuff these ones getting them out?
mtsbirch
Regular

October 2002
Re: Sandblasting RA2x engine bay Fri, 07 February 2003 04:45 Go to previous message
Sandblasting heats up the metal and can cause warping and pitting if its not done properly. There are other media blasting options, like glass bead and baking soda that do not have the tendency to warp panels but they may be more expensive. Just a thought.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:will 2j supra injectors work in my 1j
Next Topic:Sprinters with 4age
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 06:15:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057449340820312 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.