Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Another, Drove a Prius thread...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Another, Drove a Prius thread... Mon, 12 September 2005 04:43 Go to next message
My plan of having my whole extended family driving Toyotas came 1 step closer to being reality over the weekend.

My missus is contemplating upgrading her 97 Astina to somthing more modern and slightly bigger (without going to camry size) And Talked her into looking at the Prius (Toyota Failing to have anything else suitable in what she is after) We went and had a look and organised an extended Test drive (which was good for seeing what the car can do in terms of how the engines work in different situations. She appears somwhat interested in getting it base on comparison to what she has now.

I had a little drivy as well, and the Geek in me is somewhat impressed to the point if I get offered a company car I'll be squarely looking at one of these for a daily driver.

All in all they are not a rocket but buy the same token they are not slow either. good for the trudge to work and back.
  Send a private message to this user    
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Another, Drove a Prius thread... Mon, 12 September 2005 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh they are good cars hey, real smooth and love the gadgets in them,
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Another, Drove a Prius thread... Mon, 12 September 2005 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and think of the fuel savings!!!
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Another, Drove a Prius thread... Mon, 12 September 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Mon, 12 September 2005 16:58

then think of the resale value and the fact for 20K less you could of gotten an echo that uses pretty much the same fuel. Laughing
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Another, Drove a Prius thread... Mon, 12 September 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Resale on the Prius is very good in comparison to other cars in the price range, Particularly Diesels.

The echo is far too small, and from my experience gets about 550-600k's from a tank in city driving at best. A far cry from 8-900km. from the same sized tank.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Another, Drove a Prius thread... Mon, 12 September 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, the big savings with the prius are in city driving. for the freeway, an echo or rolla is not much worse off
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Another, Drove a Prius thread... Mon, 12 September 2005 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Mon, 12 September 2005 16:59

then think of the resale value and the fact for 20K less you could of gotten an echo that uses pretty much the same fuel. Laughing

it seems the massive cost of prius will no longer be a problem, seems u can get em from jap now under SEVS Smile i think its older model though
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Another, Drove a Prius thread... Mon, 12 September 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm. interesting... I wonder how far back they have had the current shape in Japan?? The gen 1 started in 95 there.

Edit: Appears to be the same...

[Updated on: Mon, 12 September 2005 08:03]

gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Another, Drove a Prius thread... Mon, 12 September 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/au/news/detai ls.asp?ItemID=285
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Another, Drove a Prius thread... Mon, 12 September 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah , Cheap too,

Thou there is a fair differecnce between the Gen 1 Prius and the second generation out now in terms of power.

Plus the current one looks better.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Another, Drove a Prius thread... Mon, 12 September 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, you gotta look at the initial purchase price, you are spending what? 25k over the top of a new manual echo...

If you are buying it to save money on fuel it doesnt make sence Smile if u absolutly HAVE to spend ~40k on a new car, yeah its a good idea, better than spending that on a gas guzzling commo/falcon

But there are better options out there, echo and corolla being the one.. When you work out the fuel savings, how long does it take before the savings overtake the extra 20k you spend buying new

EDIT: but then again, this arguments are based on you buying it for soley fuel saving prices Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 12 September 2005 09:03]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Another, Drove a Prius thread... Mon, 12 September 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lambolica wrote on Mon, 12 September 2005 17:44

Resale on the Prius is very good in comparison to other cars in the price range, Particularly Diesels.

The echo is far too small, and from my experience gets about 550-600k's from a tank in city driving at best. A far cry from 8-900km. from the same sized tank.

My brother regularly gets over 800km from a tank of his which is driven to liverpool and back everday in peak hour, the prius has so shit resale value that toyota has actually with held the results from being published from various auctions. Ie new they are around 30K+ second hand below twenty after a year or two. Personally if it was me spending the money i'd be getting the 2.0L turbo diesel golf, still pretty quick and gets 5-5.5L per 100km.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Another, Drove a Prius thread... Mon, 12 September 2005 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gearb0x wrote on Mon, 12 September 2005 19:00

well, you gotta look at the initial purchase price, you are spending what? 25k over the top of a new manual echo...

If you are buying it to save money on fuel it doesnt make sence Smile if u absolutly HAVE to spend ~40k on a new car, yeah its a good idea, better than spending that on a gas guzzling commo/falcon

But there are better options out there, echo and corolla being the one.. When you work out the fuel savings, how long does it take before the savings overtake the extra 20k you spend buying new

EDIT: but then again, this arguments are based on you buying it for soley fuel saving prices Smile

Perhaps you like fuel savings 'cuz it helps the environemnt? Razz
Or perhaps you don't wanna be squished into an Echo. Wink
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Another, Drove a Prius thread... Mon, 12 September 2005 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ever driven an echo? far from squished they are amazingly roomy to drive :0

Apart from the back seat, but that slides backwards to make more room Smile
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Another, Drove a Prius thread... Mon, 12 September 2005 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, driven an echo Too small for our needs and I never got close to 800km's out of the tank. I think the point here is she is not looking for the most fuel effecient eco-box available she is looking at a few cars in a certain class as a step up from the Astina. Out of the cars currently under concideration, those being:

IS200
Prius itech
Mazda 3SP
Holden Astra
RX8 (cause she wants one)

When you compare all of those cars the Prius has a definate appeal from a running costs side of things and also Insurance, Has more gadgets than the other 4 put together. It is however the slow in comparison.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Another, Drove a Prius thread... Mon, 12 September 2005 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gearb0x wrote on Mon, 12 September 2005 17:56

it seems the massive cost of prius will no longer be a problem, seems u can get em from jap now under SEVS Smile i think its older model though

ahhh i thought the car had to have a specific power to weight ratio before it could be imported under sevs
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Another, Drove a Prius thread... Mon, 12 September 2005 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 08:21

gearb0x wrote on Mon, 12 September 2005 17:56

ahhh i thought the car had to have a specific power to weight ratio before it could be imported under sevs

theres also a clause vehicles with abnormally good fuel consumption that don't meet the power to weight ratio being hybrids and some euro and jap diesels etc.
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Another, Drove a Prius thread... Mon, 12 September 2005 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sure is a ugly car..

but cant say it isnt efficient..

i wouldnt get one.... think of all your freinds making excuses that u use less then half the fuel they would, and make u drive all the time.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Another, Drove a Prius thread... Mon, 12 September 2005 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think getting a jap import one for ~$13,500 would certainly be awesome value for money, however their pricing point for a new one is a little too high!

You would have to agree for around $15k for an optioned prius from japan they end up being pretty good value...
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Another, Drove a Prius thread... Tue, 13 September 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah it's reasonable value but it is also the old prius.
And the older Hybrid technology and options.

Coparing the new and old prius is like comparing a standard corolla to a sportivo corolla. They are 2 very different cars.

That and the fact that the Jap Kluger, Harrier, Tarago (estima) and one of the cargo vans are available in Hybrids with different engine outputs certainly means the tecnology is adaptable.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Another, Drove a Prius thread... Tue, 13 September 2005 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How long before we see performance-oriented hybrids?

Or do you think that's a bit of a contradiction in terms?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Another, Drove a Prius thread... Tue, 13 September 2005 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 10:24

lexus and honda have prototypes Lexus have a 300kw engine with a 50-100kw hybrid for extra power. These cars make more sense then a prius to me, you see you get a car that has a tiny engine throw in an eletric motor and some batteries and the weight increases you might drop fuel consumption by 1-2L per 100km if your lucky.
Next strap on a hybrid to a bi fuckoff six or 8 cylinder engine. Under light throttle the electric motor does almost all the work and saves you a shitload of fuel. You are gonna see far more improvements on a bigger car than a small one

Thats why i just don't get the prius, you pay a premium for a small-medium sized car that is very slow but really only uses 1-3L per 100km less than the full petrol equivalents.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Another, Drove a Prius thread... Tue, 13 September 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
an extra 300-400km/s per tank appeals to me especially if you are just pottering arround to the shops n shit. For the ammount of driving i do a tank would probably last me a month
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Another, Drove a Prius thread... Tue, 13 September 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Lambo, you got the Corolla (with pop-up headlights) and give the missus the RA28GT and then you don't need to buy any cars at all and just spend money on fuel - and, even at $1.50 a litre it's gonna take a long, long time for those two cars (well, maybe not the Corolla, judging by the way you drive) to consume $40k of petrol.

Also there's the "cool" factor. A chick drving a Prius isn't cool and no-one does a double take, but a chick drving a classy RA28 GT..... well, I'm sure she'd be get getting some good and envious looks.

seeyuzz
river
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: Another, Drove a Prius thread... Thu, 15 September 2005 20:49 Go to previous message
Merudo wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 10:24

Mitsubishi has shown it's Lancer Evo with the in wheel electric motor so it does away with the conventional gearbox & engine by having the electric motor inside all 4 wheels.

Hybrids I think are the go in the city. If you do a lot of high speed driving (100+) then going diesel will get you more saving but as good as the engines are in European cars, they still aren't as reliable as Toyotas.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Jamborree enrty needed
Next Topic:Best looking celica online!!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 12:29:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065391063690186 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.