Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » weird ass exhaust noise.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
kdogg
Regular

November 2004
weird ass exhaust noise. Mon, 12 September 2005 23:57 Go to next message
hey guys i have a bit of a weird problem. my exhaust is rattling to all crap, it sounds to be at the muffler end. to me i thought just a bracket is gone. but the weird thing is outside the car you cant hear it, inside it is as loud as. i have to turn the stereo up even louder to drown it out. what is ultimately the most confusing, is that at idle, and with the handbrake on it is pretty much quiet, but when sitting at the lights or something with my foot on the brake it rattles like it is going to rip itself away from my car. Any thoughts?
  Send a private message to this user    
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: weird ass exhaust noise. Tue, 13 September 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2 possibilities

1. the heat shield on the catalytic converter (if it has one) has vibrated its self loos and is rattling.

2. the exhaust is touching the body or some other part of the car.

OR

Put car on ramps, get friend to idle car and cause it to make the noise, you carefully look under car for point noise is coming from.

Fix.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: weird ass exhaust noise. Tue, 13 September 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it is on the ke20 i doubt it has a cat converter
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: weird ass exhaust noise. Tue, 13 September 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

if it is on the ke20 I doubt it has a cat converter

Well I didn't want to make assumptions about the type of vehicle, he has not stated the type of vehicle (his signature says he own a KE20 but this may or may not be the car he is talking about???).

My KE25 has a catalytic converter and the heat shield was vibrating not long after fitting, easy to fix once you know what it is.
kdogg
Regular

November 2004
Re: weird ass exhaust noise. Tue, 13 September 2005 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shit sorry guys its on my ae82 daily driver
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: weird ass exhaust noise. Tue, 13 September 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

its on my ae82 daily driver

My GF has an AE82 and the exhaust makes a loud vibration/rattling noise sometimes at idle (especially when cold) it's the muffler lightly touching the body and vibrating. Hers has the factory exhaust on it.

Something you might want to look at, you can't hear the noise on hers outside the car and it doesn't occur when driving.
kdogg
Regular

November 2004
Re: weird ass exhaust noise. Tue, 13 September 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that sounds exactly like mine. I have the standard exhaust and all. Any ideas on how to fix it?
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: weird ass exhaust noise. Tue, 13 September 2005 02:57 Go to previous message
Quote:

Any ideas on how to fix it?

In the case of my GF's AE82 I had a look and it just need the muffler to be bent down slightly by bending the exhaust just before it enters the muffler. A pretty simply job if I could be bothered to do it for her Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Promo Girl
Next Topic:MGB in need of Jap induction
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 04:09:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056159496307373 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.