Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
chris_85
Regular

August 2005
Seca VS. Hatch Tue, 13 September 2005 01:40 Go to next message
Lookin at gettin a (AE82) twin cam as a runabout while im at uni. Im after a hatch but none seem to be popping up so im thinking bout bightin the bullet and gettin a seca. Apart from the fact that, in my opinion, theyre but ugly, were there any fundamental differences in terms of performance between the hatch and the seca?

By this i mean, was the seca heavier? how much heavier? Did they handle the same, etc.
  Send a private message to this user    
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Seca VS. Hatch Tue, 13 September 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as far as i know the suspention setup on the AE82 seca is a lot softer and they do weigh a bit more due to having a fatter bottom on them.

Engine wise there isnt a difference
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Seca VS. Hatch Tue, 13 September 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Secas are teh ghey!

(Sorry - There was an incredibly long debate on this topic on the Twincam forum years ago Razz )
chris_85
Regular

August 2005
Re: Seca VS. Hatch Tue, 13 September 2005 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wouldnt think it'd be much of a debate
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Seca VS. Hatch Tue, 13 September 2005 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hatch for sure, just wait and you'll find one. other than that save up that lil bit more and grab an early AE92.
chris_85
Regular

August 2005
Re: Seca VS. Hatch Tue, 13 September 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
really? i already hav enuff money to get an ae92, but they'd just be heavier again.
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Seca VS. Hatch Tue, 13 September 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
definately go for the hatch
im in the market for one but lack of funds is stopping me Embarassed

i personally HATE the seca look in the ae82/92s Laughing
chris_85
Regular

August 2005
Re: Seca VS. Hatch Tue, 13 September 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, seca's are butt ugly. and i personally think ae82's look better than ae92's, and theyre a fair cry lighter as well. i could deal with a seca if i knew it was gunna handle the same, i've heard the extra weight in the arse of the seca end made a fair bit of difference to handling, but i havn't actually been shown any concrete evidence to prove this
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Seca VS. Hatch Wed, 14 September 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seca is so ghey. looks like a granny mobile no matter what u do.
chris_85
Regular

August 2005
Re: Seca VS. Hatch Wed, 14 September 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, would make a good sleeper though
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Seca VS. Hatch Wed, 14 September 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go a seca!they look way better and are better!want to argue boys and girls?put you hatch up against mine around the track!put up or shut up!lmao go a sx seca,they are still a good looking car after 15 years.this is said with no bias at all!lmao
mick
laaag
Regular

June 2005
Re: Seca VS. Hatch Wed, 14 September 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there's nothing wrong with a seca!
sure its heavier by an insignificant amount but you
gain heaps more boot space and just that little bit
more individuality Razz
if your after a runabout the boot space is by far
more practical Rolling Eyes

ps if your gonna bag out one car or another at least
support it with solid evidence eg wieght, handeling,
suspention and so on.
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: Seca VS. Hatch Wed, 14 September 2005 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I quite like the look of the seca actually.

With a mild bodykit, lowered and a decent set of mags it would be quite a hot little car.

I have a kind of crazy idea as to what I would like to do with one of them and my spare GZE...
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Seca VS. Hatch Wed, 14 September 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
laaag wrote on Wed, 14 September 2005 20:53

there's nothing wrong with a seca!
sure its heavier by an insignificant amount but you
gain heaps more boot space and just that little bit
more individuality Razz
if your after a runabout the boot space is by far
more practical Rolling Eyes

ps if your gonna bag out one car or another at least
support it with solid evidence eg wieght, handeling,
suspention and so on.

i have evidence! 99% of hair dressers prefur the hatch over the seca!
hahahahahahahahahahahah
mick
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: Seca VS. Hatch Wed, 14 September 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I distinctly remember that Wheels stated that both the AE82 and AE92 Secas had softer suspension settings than the hatch from the factory when new.

Therefore a stock Seca will handle like a bag of shit. The hatch wasn't that good stock either so that is saying a lot. I recal a Wheels group road test featuring the SX Seca , 323 Astina SP, Peogeot 205 and another car (Pulsar SSS?) and the testers rubbished the Secas' handling big time.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Seca VS. Hatch Wed, 14 September 2005 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shovelnose wrote on Wed, 14 September 2005 22:16

I distinctly remember that Wheels stated that both the AE82 and AE92 Secas had softer suspension settings than the hatch from the factory when new.

Therefore a stock Seca will handle like a bag of shit. The hatch wasn't that good stock either so that is saying a lot. I recal a Wheels group road test featuring the SX Seca , 323 Astina SP, Peogeot 205 and another car (Pulsar SSS?) and the testers rubbished the Secas' handling big time.

true but as ive said a million times!the jorno's only write what they know,which is sweet .uck all.they are writers not car experts.there are a few and a mean very few race drivers etc writing,but most know nothing exept what they are told buy people like myself or others about the workings of a car.one of my pet hates is mostly what is put in the mag's.the ae86,the ae92 and ae93 have had amazing wins in every type of racing.plus the build quilty leaves the pugs etc for dead.corprate car that can leave the others for dead.i cant seem to recall a motor in the pugs,323 or pulsar that has been used in an open wheeler class that revs at 12000rpm for 1000km's.go toyota.
mick
p.s sorry im a bit one eyed!

[Updated on: Wed, 14 September 2005 12:37]

shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: Seca VS. Hatch Wed, 14 September 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I certainly do not dispute the the SX's 4AGe is a gem of a motor, and that the build quality of those Peugeots is crap.

And I am not the first to say that the SX's handle like crap.

Credit and (dis)credit where it is due. Wink

The Corollas won because they were basically the only car competing in the 1600cc class. And the suspension would have been modified big time.

Toyota was running those smug advertisements at the time proclaiming the class wins. Did their marketing dept really think we are all that stupid?
chris_85
Regular

August 2005
Re: Seca VS. Hatch Wed, 14 September 2005 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol no need for disputes, i just wanted to figure whether a seca was worth getting or not. with regards to handling, anyone know if the secas weight distribution was any different. stock supsension set up aint of much concern to me anyway, i would end up changing it anyways.
AE86Boy
Regular

July 2003
Re: Seca VS. Hatch Wed, 14 September 2005 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Personally I prefer the seca,
They look best when done in moderation, that is dumped an a good set of quality wheels and rubber.
Reminds me of my first car, Ae92 seca sx in white, true the handling could use some major tweekin,

but good luck finding an unthrashed carolla sx....
Secas look meaner I think.
and the trim in the seca is also better in my opinion.

My Bro still has his goin strong and its his second car!
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Seca VS. Hatch Wed, 14 September 2005 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Wed, 14 September 2005 20:20

want to argue boys and girls?put you hatch up against mine around the track!put up or shut up!

OHH ITS ON!! when i get my hactch back on the road ill take u DOWN!!!!!!!! Very Happy Wink

Quote:

i cant seem to recall a motor in the pugs,323 or pulsar that has been used in an open wheeler class that revs at 12000rpm for 1000km's.go toyota.

dude, the pugs had a 1.9 ltr in a car that weighed under 900kgs(205 gti). they didnt need to rev that hard.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 September 2005 23:58]

kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Seca VS. Hatch Thu, 15 September 2005 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Seca VS. Hatch Thu, 15 September 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smile

but seriously, to put this to rest, i would like to see a hatch vs seca going at it.
i will b willing to race a seca with simlar mods(when i get my car back on the road in about a month or 2).
when its back on the road it will have a 20v 4age + 2.25" exhaust, super strut front brakes, and some minor suspension work.
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Seca VS. Hatch Thu, 15 September 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seca has great liftoff oversteer Wink
well at least my AE92 used to before i did the suspension. now there's just a hint of understeer but it corners like it's on rails now
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Seca VS. Hatch Thu, 15 September 2005 03:32 Go to previous message
hatchback = king... in parking Rolling Eyes Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:I love my shitbox
Next Topic:Fuel costs sooo much and my 1JZ is THIRSTY
Goto Forum: