Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » What to buy?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ROFL @ BANGBUS Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
  Send a private message to this user    
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when u say u want a new car what kind of age are you looking at ?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Preferably something from the nineties onwards, but would prefer later 1990's ie the levins are around 95-98, Series 2 GTST R33 1996 onwards. Just something that has been round the world 20 times like the corona.

I would get another older car but it'd have to be pretty much rust free and be in top condition as i'd like to spend $$$$ on engine and suspension etc rather than actually fixing up the car itself. Smile
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
altezza creeps into my head of possibilities..
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get that classic corona, you will not find one that good for ages or ever.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hamgatan wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 13:58

altezza creeps into my head of possibilities..

too heavy and rare as rocking horse shit in aus, not too mention outside my budget. Last one i saw was high 20's to low 30's i think, my budget extends to about 20 grand maybe a touch more.
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh u could be right.. they seem to be about 25-30..

i saw one go for 10K before on ebay and i spewed chips i couldnt get the finance at the time.. Mad
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i spose a supra is too big then ?
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can't believe what i'm reading... you're looking at buying a car that you claimed the corona could beat through the 'twisties' due to its massive torque Shocked

well fuck me dead... i find that absolutely fucking hilarious Laughing

if you buy a FWD AE, wouldn't that be some kind of blasphemy considering you're various comments on here i can't be bothered quoting?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bit too heavy for my liking and kinda a bit too theft prone as well. Not too mention that the only one i could afford would be either an older Mk111 maybe with a 1jzgte (that'd be cool) or a Mkiv with a 2jzge and that just ain't cricket.
MA61 is an option but unless it was rust free (rare) i wouldn't want it for previoulsy posted reasons.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
finney wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 14:36

i can't believe what i'm reading... you're looking at buying a car that you claimed the corona could beat through the 'twisties' due to its massive torque Shocked

well fuck me dead... i find that absolutely fucking hilarious Laughing

if you buy a FWD AE, wouldn't that be some kind of blasphemy considering you're various comments on here i can't be bothered quoting?

hahaha i was actually wondering how long it'd take you to find this thread, yes i am tempted to jump ship on torque in expense for fuel economy, but if i got the 20v it'd be worked as soon as the car was paid off.
If i went down this path, i'd probably source a second black top head get it ported/polished, valve spings, big cams, trd head gasket, then change over and install an aftermarket ecu.
Either keep he stock original 20v head if i need to return it to stock or just sell it off.
Marc205
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 13:07

One step less gay than the cappucino would be an MX-5 that might suit you to a tee Laughing

I don't know. I've always wanted one of these MX5's. (More here and here.)

Of course, I don't know if this meets your fuel efficiency requirements. Rolling Eyes
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahhaha i have seen them, with a car like that who cares abotu fuel economy though i don't know how long it'd last at Mino station (said in a reall bogan dazza voice).
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

yes i am tempted to jump ship on torque in expense for fuel economy

You make it sound like you are driving some 7L V8 Corona the way you talk about the torque Rolling Eyes Laughing

Quote:

i'd probably source a second black top head get it ported/polished (1kw), valve spings (0kw), big cams (4kw), trd head gasket(0kw), then change over and install an aftermarket ecu (2kw)

That'd probably gain you a net result of an additional 7kw at the wheels. Money well spent and it would still be below the torque output of the 22r Wink

Cubes = horses
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't be so quick to write off an NA Mk4 Supra for yourself, they are far from slow, look good and handle fairly well.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I wouldn't be so quick to write off an NA Mk4 Supra for yourself, they are far from slow, look good and handle fairly well.

He is looking for an upgrade from the RT142 Corona, so you can understand him not being keen on the Mk4 Confused
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Put it this way i want a car that is nice but i am not gonna be pulled over at every breath test/cop i go past, even if i have nothing to hide which i do it's just annoying.
Add that to the fact that you cop stereotypes of it not being the "real thing" and i just couldn't be bothered. Sure they are quick to a point but a 3.0L six in a car that weighs 1500kg i may as well just get a commodore, i'd prefer a car thatis light and nimble that i can chuck around.
To me a NA supra is kinda like a 328i BMW with M3 wheels and badging, its a nice car but its just lacks that little bit extra.

[Updated on: Tue, 13 September 2005 05:36]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 13:13

Quote:

He is looking for an upgrade from the RT142 Corona, so you can understand him not being keen on the Mk4 Confused

True, I will agree it's probably more of a side-step, even slightly retrograde Razz
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 13:34

Put it this way i want a car that is nice but i am not gonna be pulled over at every breath test/cop i go past, even if i have nothing to hide which i do it's just annoying.
Add that to the fact that you cop stereotypes of it not being the "real thing" and i just couldn't be bothered. Sure they are quick to a point but a 3.0L six in a car that weighs 1500kg i may as well just get a commodore, i'd prefer a car thatis light and nimble that i can chuck around.
To me a NA supra is kinda like a 328i BMW with M3 wheels and badging, its a nice car but its just lacks that little bit extra.

1) it doesn't weigh 1500kg, not quite. 2) Guarantee it will hide it's weight to the point where you don't realise it. 3) Comparing to a Commodore, CAN that be done? It has more power, less weight, looks better, isn't falling apart, brakes better and actually handles, sure I see the similarities. Go buy an AE86.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:rona

Put it this way i want a car that is nice but i am not gonna be pulled over at every breath test/cop i go past, even if i have nothing to hide which i do it's just annoying

What are you hiding? 10kg of weed in the tyre well, a kidnap victim, SPS, closet homosexual, a faecal fetish Laughing

Quote:rona

i'd prefer a car thatis light and nimble that i can chuck around.

Anything from the Hotwheels range should meet that criteria Laughing

Quote:justcallmefrank

Go buy an AE86

I reckon rona could single handedly make the AE86 uncool and bring it's market value back to where it should be.

[Updated on: Tue, 13 September 2005 05:44]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AHHHHHHH nooooooo i don't want an ae86 well not really. I want to do something different, the ae86 has been done time and time again, sure it helps when you need help but i don't wanna be bunched in with a stereotype.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stop twisty my words damnit Laughing
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i don't wanna be bunched in with a stereotype.

point taken, you have an image to uphold and are currently oozing street cred. Be a shame to lose it all with a Takumi wannabe stereotype.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 13:44

AHHHHHHH nooooooo i don't want an ae86 well not really. I want to do something different, the ae86 has been done time and time again, sure it helps when you need help but i don't wanna be bunched in with a stereotype.

The awe inspiring AE86 is the only car that would be a level-step from the Corona.

And stuff it, tell us why, or at least give us some sort of explanation for why you didn't buy the GT4?
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

And stuff it, tell us why, or at least give us some sort of explanation for why you didn't buy the GT4?

I think it was the whole "Twin Entry" thing that turned him off. It brought back too many bad spitroast memories Laughing
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want to know i'll pm you but as the car is still up for sale it would be wrong to state the reasons openly on the forum.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PM away. Very Happy
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
like someone mentioned before get a cheapo MX5 and work it
...or get one of those v8 ones Shocked
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive got 3 letters for you
G.
T.
O.

i know it aint a toyota, but you cant go past a twin turbo all wheel drive v6 for the prices that theyre going for.

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/au/stock/deta ils.asp?StockID=3383

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/au/stock/deta ils.asp?StockID=3379

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/au/stock/deta ils.asp?StockID=3375

And heres a non-turbo one if youre into that sort of thing..
http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/au/stock/deta ils.asp?StockID=3384
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you know how hard it is to work on those things, many a ppl have been warned off for that reason and its also why i haven't considered them
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pm sent
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you want a new ride hhmmmmmmm......for the money you are looking at spending you could probably get 180sx Princess Laughing Chuck her on a plane and get her sent up to Crumbletown. I reckon she wouldn't be a bad ride for you and I reckon she wouldn't mind hanging out at the train station all day while you're at work.

Can't guarantee the security would be much good on her though, you'd probably find that someone had taken her for a joyride most days when you got back to the station Laughing
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha it's funny cos theres a massage parlour across the road from the station Laughing
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Haha it's funny cos theres a massage parlour across the road from the station

How much do they charge for a massage with body slide and a happy ending?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well that really killed the thread can we get back on topic.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It didn't kill the thread, everyone is just waiting to see if the prices are reasonable.

So, what are the prices?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NFI
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

NFI

sif you don't know.

People are over giving you ideas for a car because you have set criteria that are nearly impossible for any car to meet. Nearly everything people have suggested has been shot down.

Keep the rona, give it a shot of Naaaawwwws! and spend the rest of your remaining money on rub and tugs at the parlour Very Happy
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am a hard man to please what can i say Laughing (waits for this to be taken out of context), i kinda have a few ideas about what i want and was hoping maybe for a little more info or maybe a curve ball tossed from the outside wing that i'd be interested in.
The fact is i have weighed up a lot of my options and looked into many of the cars mentioned or i am just not fond of them to be honest. My options are quite limited due to my age (insurance) and or the location the car will be parked. Ideally i'd have a run around to park at the station but i don't have the money long term to pay for rego insurance fuel etc on two cars, and this money could be better spent on making one of the two cars better or even paying hecs upfront etc.
Sam4A-GE_Seca
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rona: i have the answer for you.

Holden JE Camira SLE 2.0. it goes hard, u can dump it at the station, handles like a dream (as long as it has power steer).

Plus its unique Very Happy

i have said my piece...
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
God my first post in ages! Three words KEEP THE CORONA!!!
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And what a great post that was to Laughing. Seriously i need something different and i will need to start spending $$$ on the rona soon ie Timing chain valve stem seals and maybe fix the small rust spot on the boot. I can't be bothered to do this so i want a new car that and i want something new and just something different.

The car has served me well for the 2 and a bit years i have owned it i have learnt a lot especially about light rwd cars with live rear axles and the absolence of traction in the wet but its time to move on. For its age the car is in pretty good condition its just that I want something that i can actually modify. Sure i could do something like a 1ggte conversion etc but essentially its still a 20 year old shit box that moves quick and seeing other ppl try and sell theres after the $$$ they have put in is disappointing.

Atleast modding a newer car its still gonna worth a bit more when it comes to sell it which wouldn't be for another 5-8 years hopefully. The other thing is i don't have a huge amount of time maybe one day off a weekend to spend building a car up and whilst fairly mechanically minded there is no way i could do a conversion without a lot of help or spending money for someone else to do it for me.

I'd prefer to start off with a fresh base with a car that handles well from the start and with a stock engine that actually has aftermarket parts relatively available. (Arguably the 22re does but its never gonna rev alot and it costs a lot of money to buildup).

Many ppl have travelled the 4age path befor so this is one motor that i'd be willing to have a crack at. I'm determined to stay NA just cos it appeals to me more (i am also not a fan of turbo FWD cars). Sure i could make more power by banging a turbo on the side but its just not the same. I wouldn't mind something like a rolla sportivo but the main issue i see with them is they are a little more expensive which means it'd be longer befor i could start working the motor and they are quite heavy for their size.

One of the other FWD's that appeals to me is the renault clio sport light weight 2.0L na motor the only problem being that aftermarket parts are quite rare and those that are available are very expensive, plus being french (reliability and supposed awkward seatign postion wards me off).

If i were to get a rwd car i'd have no qualms in getting a turbo and would preferably get a car with a factory turbo motor ( less work involved in mods and far more reliable than turboing a NA motor).

finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clio sport is a great car, you'd get used to the seating position. i've driven one and it's not all that bad, i was pretty well adjusted to it in under an hour of driving it.

but the biggest bonus in buying one is that you can leave toymods and become a whore on another forum Razz
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 15:34

i take it you haven't driven a 328 then Wink
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fun chuckable performance car worth 20K... parked at cairmel towwwn stashun...

you know the "boys" are just waiting for you to finally purchase a car so they have reliable transport home from the pub Razz

just wait until you are older to get a nice car if you are that worried abotu insurance.

any 20K car will lose half that value in a couple of years anyway... save cash to move out of c'town and move somewhere nice where you don't need wheelclamps to deter the local 6 year olds from driving your car down to the park and back Razz
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nissan s13/180sx
ra60/65
restored ta/ra/22/23/28
mr2 (aw11 and sw20)
sprinter
soarer (gz20 would look nice)
st165/185 (i know you already were going to get one, look again Wink)
FWD Sucks.
SSS SR20DET Pulsar (or GTiR)
Old skool Liberty RS Turbo (the quad cam quad throttle version)
Astra SRi Turbo (i have no idea how mmuch these cost!)
MA/JZA61
etc.
etc.

better yet, restore your corona Very Happy

Eldar.O.
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 15:51

Quote:

I think it was the whole "Twin Entry" thing that turned him off. It brought back too many bad spitroast memories Laughing

LMFAO

That is a fucken classic mate. You beaut.
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd go with an e30. They just get more attractive everyday!
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KE50 liftback...
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eldaro why do you always insist on the RS turbo being quad cam and quad throttle body, yet everytime ppl say they never were, they are a twincam 16V engine and always have been with a single throttle body.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go the KE Corolla!!

That way you have an 86 without the Takumi tag Razz Very Happy
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha just noticed emp ke30 is back up for sale, i'll see what happens. Shocked
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just get a commodore....

that way when someone steals it from the station to get home, you can just steal someone elses... and then the next week you can steal your car back again Laughing
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: What to buy? Tue, 13 September 2005 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah! e30!

E30 325i coupe M-sport pack...

niiice...
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What to buy? Wed, 14 September 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey merudo wanna trade for a corona cash adjustment in my direction of course Razz
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: What to buy? Wed, 14 September 2005 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can hook you up with a massifly hektik drift soarer

starting price $19K

Laughing
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What to buy? Wed, 14 September 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ wrote on Wed, 14 September 2005 10:01

starting price $19K

Laughing

*In Michael Caton voice* Tell him he's dreamin, i'd prefer something that hasn't been thrashed for me lol
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: What to buy? Wed, 14 September 2005 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 14 September 2005 09:35

MR 1JZ wrote on Wed, 14 September 2005 10:01

starting price $19K

Laughing

*In Michael Caton voice* Tell him he's dreamin, i'd prefer something that hasn't been thrashed for me lol

what you talkin bout willis..

never been thrashed, only driven on sundays

[Updated on: Wed, 14 September 2005 00:09]

smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: What to buy? Wed, 14 September 2005 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 18:34

God my first post in ages! Three words KEEP THE CORONA!!!

I agree you have said no to to all the best toyota offers, so KEEP THE CORONA!. Looks like its the best car you will have, and be satisfied with Wink
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What to buy? Wed, 14 September 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
hmmm lets see i said no to a NA Supra, and a Celsior thats about it. I'd love to have an old car with a conversion as a project but it just isn't viable for me at this point in time.

ATM i want a car that i can jump in with a good base that quick and i can do various mods that don't require it being off the road for too long to make it go better. I don't want a shopping trolley but nor to i want a high end car that just screams tool all over it. I wouldn't mind something like a JZA70 but they are one hard to find and two harder to find in manual.

I'll see what happens this saturday when i go to Al's shop have a chat to them see what they have approvals to bring in, see what i like etc etc and go from there.

I have also been on the look out for a HR31 Coupe for atleast the last five months but alas there just ain't many in NSW for sale.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 September 2005 01:04]

Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TurboRA28 in Fast 4s! (small but still cool)
Next Topic:brake problem
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:42:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0097160339355469 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.