Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Good thermo fans Tue, 13 September 2005 04:21 Go to next message
hey guys, just been looking around for a decent (pair of) thermo fan(s) i found the davies craig 14" flows roughly 1060cfm, the 9" flows roughly 635cfm (was gonna use two of them), but the guy i spoke to said i'd need heaps more flow... he recommended a brand from the states... SPAL, but their flow rates are much the same... can anyone offer quantative opinions on this matter?? for my 1G conversion
  Send a private message to this user    
RG65
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: Good thermo fans Tue, 13 September 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what car do you have and what sort of radiator. i have a twin core out of a corona and two 10" davies craig fans, haven't had a problem yet in my ra65 with 1ggte.
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: Good thermo fans Tue, 13 September 2005 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used to run a 13" fan on my 3 core 7M in the wagon was repco brand.

only complaint it was a noisey fan. Realy quite loud for wqhat it was
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Good thermo fans Tue, 13 September 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The fan is only there to keep the motor cool at idle.

A single 14" will be more than enough for a 1GGTE, providing your radiator is working tiptop, and isn't undersized.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Good thermo fans Tue, 13 September 2005 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Given a very decent radiator (say, triple-core), would a smaller fan be fine?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Good thermo fans Tue, 13 September 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, but you'll still need to set up some sort of shroud to make sure as much of the radiator is being cooled.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Good thermo fans Tue, 13 September 2005 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 17:35

The fan is only there to keep the motor cool at idle.

Not sure if that is entirely true. I was at a motokhana on Sunday and am thinking about upgrading my thermo to help keep the car cool during the run (1st gear, low speed lots of rev's).
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Good thermo fans Tue, 13 September 2005 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a pair of ST205 thermo fans available. They suck lots and lots of air.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Good thermo fans Tue, 13 September 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermofans don't really do much above 30kph.

And for the time spent between 0 and 30kph, where you are not idling, or close to idle, its almost worth forgetting about.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Good thermo fans Tue, 13 September 2005 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a good sealed shroud will do wonders, as will stoping air leaking around the radiator at speed.

i reckon go for the biggest that fits.. that way when it's on it moves large amount of air, and when it is off, it blocks the exit of the shroud less.

of course you could use rubber flaps to allow extra air out of the shroud when at speed, as some euro manufacturers do.

Cya, Stewart
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Good thermo fans Tue, 13 September 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the best brand out at the moment is spal. they suck just as much as a good engine fan but are as dear as poisen
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Good thermo fans Wed, 14 September 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've got a brandnew triple core RA28 radiator, see signature for details on the car, should have all ya wanna know

Posted by CrUZida

Thermofans don't really do much above 30kph

hehe.. so all i gotta do is avoid traffic on the way to and from uni... in the city, and i'll be alright...

Cool1 - what dimensions are they? know what the flow rate is? and emmachissit?

anyone got quantative details (other then the 30kph rule)? flow rates and sizes would be good Very Happy

cheers
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Good thermo fans Wed, 14 September 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have heard EL falcon thermo's to be very good at pushing lots of air..
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Good thermo fans Thu, 15 September 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EL is almost the same as AU, but I believe AU's are a bit better.

Either way, I'd say its way to large for HickOZ
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Good thermo fans Thu, 15 September 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol... i bet those EL ones are good a moving air... only gotta listen to them, all fan noise.

as for size, the radiator size is 530x380 (21"x15")

i'm thinking maybe just two 9" davies craig fans... they can't be THAT bad... i gotta get something happening pretty soon too.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Good thermo fans Thu, 15 September 2005 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you have enough room to use suckthrough? or are you going to have to use blowthrough?
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Good thermo fans Thu, 15 September 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nup... gonna have to be an up stream install (pusher type) wanna mount it between the 'cooler, and the radiator
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Good thermo fans Fri, 16 September 2005 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i went with a pair of 9" davies craig fans, got them mounted all nicely, and then tested them with the battery charger, wasn't overly impressed though, i'm thinking that the charger just wasn't putting out the amperage i wanted... showed over 6amps on the guage (ie, off the scale). when i tried on an old battery wasn't much better... again hoping this is just 'cause the battery is kinda dead... on the bright side, there wasn't much fan noise! Very Happy
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Good thermo fans Fri, 16 September 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fans pull a lot of current - more than most cheap chargers

from memory, i have 20A fuse on my 14" davies craig fan and it suggested that it would pull 14A on startup

run the fans off a fully charged pattery and you'll see a difference.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Good thermo fans Fri, 16 September 2005 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hickoz_bro wrote on Fri, 16 September 2005 17:07

well i went with a pair of 9" davies craig fans, got them mounted all nicely, and then tested them with the battery charger, wasn't overly impressed though, i'm thinking that the charger just wasn't putting out the amperage i wanted... showed over 6amps on the guage (ie, off the scale). when i tried on an old battery wasn't much better... again hoping this is just 'cause the battery is kinda dead... on the bright side, there wasn't much fan noise! Very Happy

from memory (it is on their site tho) the 9" still pull 10 amps each when running??
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Good thermo fans Fri, 16 September 2005 14:33 Go to previous message
AU thermo's pull 15A EACH constant.

Starting current would peak at well over 50A each for a few milliseconds.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1G-GE charging issue
Next Topic:4AGE Idle Issues
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 19:47:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058860778808594 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.