Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
garethr
Newcomer

February 2005
JZX81 Chaser / Mark II / Cresta Mon, 12 September 2005 21:30 Go to next message
I drive a JZZ30 TT Soarer (in the UK). I saw a Mark II Grande a while back, looked it up, and found it was also available with the 1JZ-GTE, along with the Chaser and the Cresta.

We don't (yet) have the problems you have in importing cars, and I like the idea of a car which looks like a typical 80s Japanese 4-door saloon, but goes like a Supra (or I should say Soarer I suppose Smile ), and is very rare over here.

I've been searching for a while but I haven't found any details on the specs of the three cars, so I'm hoping you may be able to help me out.

I assume that all three models are basically the same under the skin, but what are the differences between the specs of the Chaser / Mark II / Cresta? For example, is one the luxury model, one the sports saloon?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Gareth

Send a private message to this user    
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: JZX81 Chaser / Mark II / Cresta Mon, 12 September 2005 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jzx81.net
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: JZX81 Chaser / Mark II / Cresta Tue, 13 September 2005 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jzx81.net in case you missed it. Wink

But if you want pics to see what they look like... http://www2.odn.ne.jp/~cdn93170/extcar.html Smile
garethr
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: JZX81 Chaser / Mark II / Cresta Tue, 13 September 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Simon. I appreciate the reply.

I'd found jzx81.net, and there's lots of useful info there, but it still doesn't tell me why Toyota decided to make three almost identical models Smile
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: JZX81 Chaser / Mark II / Cresta Tue, 13 September 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Different target markets. There were general rules... ie: one of them was the budget model aimed at the lower/cheaper end of the market, one was the luxury model aimed at the "i want a classy comfortable car" sector and one was the sports model aimed at the "i want a drivers car" market. I could never remember which was which.
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: JZX81 Chaser / Mark II / Cresta Tue, 13 September 2005 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EvilJack wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 08:01

jzx81.net

did my post register on your guys side?
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: JZX81 Chaser / Mark II / Cresta Tue, 13 September 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
huh, what was that? did someone say something? Razz
garethr
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: JZX81 Chaser / Mark II / Cresta Tue, 13 September 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry 'Jack, I missed thanking you, didn't I?

Embarassed

garethr
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: JZX81 Chaser / Mark II / Cresta Tue, 13 September 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIMDOG wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 16:31

Different target markets. There were general rules... ie: one of them was the budget model aimed at the lower/cheaper end of the market, one was the luxury model aimed at the "I want a classy comfortable car" sector and one was the sports model aimed at the "I want a drivers car" market. I could never remember which was which.

Thanks..... almost there Smile

If someone remembers which is budget, which is sports, and which is luxury, then I'll know what to aim for.

SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: JZX81 Chaser / Mark II / Cresta Tue, 13 September 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can tell you which one to aim for, aim for the MarkII... by far the best looking one of them all. Sexy and sleek front grille and headlights plus decent looking rear. Good level of features and was often well optioned.

Make sure you get the hardtop version (personal opinion here). I don't know if you are aware of this but each one came in both hardtop and sedan. The hardtop has frameless windows while the sedan came with frames (eg: the Cressida is a sedan because the doors have the window frames). See this pic... click... where i drew the arrows is the highest point of the doors on this hardtop. The rear door window is a single piece unlike the sedan (eg: Cressida) which has a fixed triangular window and the openable bit is square.

pic1
pic2
pic3
Edit: i forgot to add, the above pics are of a MarkII.

This website has all the specs of each model ie: all standard items and all options available... the pics on this site are very general and often are just a token but the specs are all good. http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog/toyota/

Another website to look at... This is the one to look at if you want to see what each model looks like. The pics are small but there is one of every model. http://www.alljapanesecars.com/

Edit: another thing i forgot to add... You bastard, i'm so jealous that you are able to import JZX81's. Mad I really wanted a JZX81 MarkII and was patiently waiting until they turned 15yrs old so it could be imported affordably... Then the government changed the rules and fucked my plans square in the arse. Mad Mad Mad

[Updated on: Tue, 13 September 2005 11:19]

garethr
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: JZX81 Chaser / Mark II / Cresta Tue, 13 September 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks again.

I'd seen "HT" in the auction listings and I assumed it meant hardtop and hence frameless doors, so it's good to have that confirmed.

I'm sure our regulations will be tightened sooner or later, but at the moment all we have to do to register a car which is over 10 years old is fit a rear foglight and put it through an MOT test (annual roadworthiness test). Converting the speedometer to miles per hour is a legal requirement, but not part of the MOT test, so not everyone bothers.

Also, there are no laws, other than general roadworthiness, which affect the number and type of modifications we can make, and if the car is 1992 or earlier we don't have to have cats.

If it's younger than 10 years the car must go through an "Extended Single Vehicle Approval" test, and to pass that the car has to be in standard trim, although once it's registered we can do what we like (subject to roadworthiness / noise / emissions regs).

If it's 1997 and later we also need a "model report" for crash testing, emissions, etc., and that severely limits the models that can be imported and registered.

[Updated on: Tue, 13 September 2005 12:18]

secagirl
Occasional Poster

April 2004

Re: JZX81 Chaser / Mark II / Cresta Fri, 16 September 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My husband & i own a Mark II Tourer V. If u would like to know anything about them. Cool
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: JZX81 Chaser / Mark II / Cresta Fri, 16 September 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get whatever one this one is cause its hot Razz

http://homepage.mac.com/rib_feast/newcastle_toyota_meet/size_2/IMG_2944.jpg

Very Happy Very Happy
edit: Seems to be a Chaser

[Updated on: Fri, 16 September 2005 04:56]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: JZX81 Chaser / Mark II / Cresta Fri, 16 September 2005 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats a JZX90 newer model Smile
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: JZX81 Chaser / Mark II / Cresta Fri, 16 September 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Fri, 16 September 2005 14:54

and the JZX100 and JZX110 are newer Wink .
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: JZX81 Chaser / Mark II / Cresta Fri, 16 September 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smt_007 wrote on Fri, 16 September 2005 14:57

http://www.home.no/c0licab/captain.jpg
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: JZX81 Chaser / Mark II / Cresta Fri, 16 September 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smt_007 wrote on Fri, 16 September 2005 14:57

I have a GX81 Mark II. It doesnt have the donk you want (yet) but yeah its hot... Very Happy
secagirl
Occasional Poster

April 2004

Re: JZX81 Chaser / Mark II / Cresta Fri, 16 September 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is our Mark II
http://au.msnusers.com/MyWebDocuments
JZX90T
Occasional Poster

December 2003

Re: JZX81 Chaser / Mark II / Cresta Fri, 16 September 2005 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know why the pic didn't work, so i logged in using my husbands name so you can see his avatar. That is our car!
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: JZX81 Chaser / Mark II / Cresta Fri, 16 September 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You have to host the picture elsewhere first www.imageshack.us and then post the thumbnail or link to the picture here etc. Any who i have seen the car in the flesh and its a very tidy car Very Happy
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: JZX81 Chaser / Mark II / Cresta Fri, 16 September 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I need to upload a few pics of the Mark II. Its a hardtop version. Much better looking than the sedan.
1G-GZE goes well.
JZX90T
Occasional Poster

December 2003

Re: JZX81 Chaser / Mark II / Cresta Fri, 16 September 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Fri, 16 September 2005 16:19

You have to host the picture elsewhere first www.imageshack.us and then post the thumbnail or link to the picture here etc. Any who i have seen the car in the flesh and its a very tidy car Very Happy

Thanks, have you been for a spin in it yet?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: JZX81 Chaser / Mark II / Cresta Fri, 16 September 2005 06:57 Go to previous message
Nope i was the guy in the corona that followed you back from the Old Pac/Wisemans Ferry cruise.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Where do the different kind of fuels come from?
Next Topic:4agze S/C oil port
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:57:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065369606018066 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.