Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Strange Suspension Hopping Tue, 13 September 2005 13:13 Go to next message
I recently changed my rear shocks to a pair of TRD adjustable short stroke ones and my car started hopping as i corner...

I have tried adjusting my rear anti roll bar and the adjustments on the shocks but there is little effect on it

it feels like the outer wheel is getting lifted off the ground mid corner....and this isnt at any great speed....so i was wondering if anyone has had this problem before and how to fix it

in case this helps, these are the other parts in my rear end

Trd 2 way lsd
King springs
urethane bushes

Hope someone can help me out

Cheers

Adam

[Updated on: Tue, 13 September 2005 13:16]

Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Strange Suspension Hopping Tue, 13 September 2005 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
front corner dips too much and rear does not have enough travel to keep wheel on the ground? for the wheel to lift, the shocks are 'topping out' and pulling the wheel upwards...

more front spring, more front swaybar, more travel on rear shocks, or lower rear futher so there is more rebound??

i dunno Wink
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Strange Suspension Hopping Tue, 13 September 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it sound slike they are doing what they are designed to do Wink
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Strange Suspension Hopping Tue, 13 September 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Someone welded your diff when you weren't looking?

Sorry to take the piss, but it is exactly what a locker does.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Strange Suspension Hopping Tue, 13 September 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas got it in one.

your front end is so soft its causing the car to roll too much, and because you have short stroke shocks, it doesnt extend how much it usually would (and prevent the problem)

youd best be advised to either lower your car, get a thicker sway bar, or get harder springs (in a way, same as getting lowered springs)

Eldar.O.
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: Strange Suspension Hopping Tue, 13 September 2005 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm...i already have the car lowered plenty....wheels are basically in the guards....front sway bar set to max....tower brace in the rear end...decent shoks...and the diff isnt welded...

anything else?

im planing on a pair of trd springs with very high spring rate and the front end is getting changed to a silvia coilover set up but i want to know if this will solve my problem

or those traction brackets/adjustable rear control arms...would these help?

thanx for your responses

Adam

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Strange Suspension Hopping Tue, 13 September 2005 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bobski wrote on Wed, 14 September 2005 00:08

and the diff isnt welded...

ahem... as Henn mentioned... 2 way diff... locks up on decel... weight transfer forward = loss of traction at rear on wheel with least load = inside wheel...

sounds like fully sick dorifto corner entry style wahhhh

seriously tho it sounds like a combination of things not quite right...
say you go round a corner and this happens.. what if you do the same corner same way, but push in the clutch.. that should mostly negate the LSD action on decel...

at the same time, get someone to watch the inside wheel on both passes (video it if possible) and see if it is really lifting..

it could also be that the shocks are too hard compared to the fronts, so the rear suspension is bouncing only on the tyre, whilst the front shocks are not able to damp both ends of the car at once??

they might just be too short and too hard for the rest of your setup.... what spring rates are they designed for? what rates do you have now??

time to get numerical Wink
yrhkira
Regular

June 2005
Re: Strange Suspension Hopping Wed, 14 September 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys,

Do I read Adam's initial question differently.

Adam can you clear this up for me.

Is it the outer rear "...getting lifted off the ground" as you say first up?

Anyway my thoughts to the whole thing are:

1) The TRD Shocks are set too hard and the tyre bounces on the road surface. Heavier rate springs are not going to help this either. As said before.

2) The urathane bushes are not free to rotate and so bind up and then slip.
The control arms are meant to be able to rotate freely hence the best setup is to use rose joints/spherical bearings.

The OEM rubber bushes have enough rotational "give" in them to do this.

There is a lot more to "just replacing" bushes with urathane.

I would also suggest that "very" high spring rates on the front will not be a good idea. It will not allow the tyres to follow the road surface to give you maximum grip and will make the car bounce even more and understeer even more.

Regards

Rodger
TougeVitz
Regular

July 2005
Re: Strange Suspension Hopping Wed, 14 September 2005 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah...i read the same thing...and wondering why the rest of these guys are saying about the inside wheel...
but yeah...set the rear shocks a bit softer...
check all the links make sure nothing is broken...bearings are ok?
or maybe the shocks are soft...with a high spring rate? makes it do nothing but bounce...?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Strange Suspension Hopping Wed, 14 September 2005 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i misread it Wink

are the shocks new or could they be fucked??
or is the suspension just too hard and the tyre is just bouncing you around?
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Strange Suspension Hopping Wed, 14 September 2005 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 23:35

it sound slike they are doing what they are designed to do Wink

Id agree with this statement.

But.. what spring rates are you using?. If theyre overtly stiff then decreasing the rate of shortstroke shocks doesnt help the case much. Although with a regular setup it would work, Decreasing the 'stiffness' of shortstroke shocks whilst using stiff springs just increases roll in corners and doesnt do much to stop the bouncing affect.

Short stroke shocks are meant for track use. They lack the travel required for pot holes and bumpy uneven roads.
Dorio86
Regular

August 2005
Re: Strange Suspension Hopping Wed, 14 September 2005 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had the same problem on an old seca, one of the engine mount bolts was snapped and needed replacing.

It happen when pressing and releasing the gas pedal.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Strange Suspension Hopping Wed, 14 September 2005 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dunno if this could be a possiblity, cause i dunno if u bought these shocks new or 2nd hand.

but my cousin, wen he first got his car, had a slight bend in his shock, like u couldnt see it for peanuts, but it was there. and wen he cornered, and that wheel became the outside one, sh*t went wrong.
the wheel jus went crazy.

prolly unlikely, but sumtimes the easiest one is the one everyone misses.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Strange Suspension Hopping Thu, 15 September 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dorio86 wrote on Thu, 15 September 2005 09:13

I had the same problem on an old seca, one of the engine mount bolts was snapped and needed replacing.

It happen when pressing and releasing the gas pedal.

are you replying to the correct thread? Rolling Eyes
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Strange Suspension Hopping Thu, 15 September 2005 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^^^ HAHAHAHAHA

i think he wants to contribute to the tech section, to prove hes not bubbles. lol.
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: Strange Suspension Hopping Sat, 17 September 2005 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanx for your replys guys...since puting these shocks in ive been messing around with the settings and now i changed the rear springs to some cut ones...it seems to help the problem but the springs i put in are only for testing if it does so dont start on me about how cutting springs is the devils work Rolling Eyes

the shoks are second hand but they are in good condition and not feked..

and the urethane bushes do rotate...freely....the spring rates are soft...they are only lowered king springs

and i dont mind there not being total contact with the road over bumps....i can deal with all that its just the mid corner part that buggs me

all i want to know is if anyone had fitted simmilar things to me and if they have had the same problem,also how do tokico 102 shoks react on the street?

thanx

Adam
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: Strange Suspension Hopping Sat, 17 September 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have the same sensation in my ke20

I am yet to try dealing with it yet, though
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Strange Suspension Hopping Tue, 20 September 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have Tokico's all round, and I have 4.8kg rear and 7kg front springs. I also have adjustable anti roll bars front and rear.
(N.B. most of my testing has been on the street on my daily commutes, with the stock 13" wheels and good rubber, so the results are a bit limited.)

Now I anm just learning as i go, but one thing i have found so far, is that if i have the rear shocks wound right down to their maximum damping force, the car "hops" around like a motherfcuker, not necessarily leaving the ground, but definitely reducing grip, and also loading up the drivetrain in sympathy with the hops, as the weight of the car is loaded/unloaded. This doesnt just happen on corners, but on all irregular surfaces. I found if i wound the shocks out then this bouncing decreases and a much more "grippy" ride is acheived.

I just had my first track day with the car in the same trim, but with 15" rims and even better rubber, and the results were not bad, but time will tell how much better I can make it.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Strange Suspension Hopping Tue, 20 September 2005 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bobski wrote on Sat, 17 September 2005 13:49

thanx for your replys guys...since puting these shocks in the spring rates are soft...they are only lowered king springs
Adam

methinks that could be something of the cause... soft springs and hard shocks, not allowing the springs to push the wheel back on the road....

the cut ones help because they are higher rate...

maybe you just need softer shocks?.. or harder springs... eitherway, they need to be matched better...

could you go to somewhere like Pedders, with their "drive on shock test" to see how they go?
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: Strange Suspension Hopping Tue, 20 September 2005 09:10 Go to previous message
ok thanx...i just wanted to know if getting harder springs will help this...so i think ill just bite the bullet and get some decent ones....i think that ur right about the springs being too soft for the shoks so hopefully the harder springs should solve this annoying problem

thanx for everyones help

Adam
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4agze MR2 Exaust Modifications
Next Topic:SC12 / 14 teflon lifting . . how bad is it?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:10:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059351921081543 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.