Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » what is Clutch Bleeding?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
thekemist
Regular

August 2002
what is Clutch Bleeding? Sun, 11 September 2005 21:56 Go to next message
As the topic states..
I changed my clutch not too long ago but it still doesnt have that spring back feel when i realease it.. so anyway after a while of searching the net ive come to the conclusion that the clutch needs bleeding.. am i correct in thinking this???
Im still unsure at what this entails but worked out its to do with air bubbles stopping the hydraulic pressure etc.
Am i able to do this on my own .. the bleeding part.. ive seen some threads on how to do it.. but still unsure as there were no pics with the threads...anybody have any ?
if not how much would this cost to get done.. im assuming the guy who installed the clutch shoulda done it but yeh i dont go there anymore he was abit dodge

Its for an ae92 corolla
  Send a private message to this user    
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: what is Clutch Bleeding? Sun, 11 September 2005 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just like brake bleeding. you want to expell all the air out of the hydraulic system. however if you didn't disturb any of this when you changed the clutch then it's possible that it's just the new clutch that feels different.

[Updated on: Sun, 11 September 2005 22:20]

thekemist
Regular

August 2002
Re: what is Clutch Bleeding? Sun, 11 September 2005 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool .. now all i need to know is what brake bleeding is and im set Laughing

ill keep scouring the net until i find something.. came into work early just for that purpose too hehe
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: what is Clutch Bleeding? Sun, 11 September 2005 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just do a search for clutch bleeding - I'm way too lazy to actually go through explaining it all. NB: 2 people make this job easier.
TougeVitz
Regular

July 2005
Re: what is Clutch Bleeding? Mon, 12 September 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://soarer.ace.net.au/bleeding_flushing.html

is a good little write up on brake bleeding...
is where i "learned" how to do it from...
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: what is Clutch Bleeding? Mon, 12 September 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can get one man bleeding kits from supercheap for about $15

I have one here somewhere, need to use it, its beyond me currently...

I've learnt that when you have a hard clutch, mums and girlfriends get sick of pumping it... lol
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: what is Clutch Bleeding? Mon, 12 September 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Somehow I think it's very unlikely that it wouldn't have been bled when your clutch was replaced. I can't think of how you could get away with changing a clutch and not needing to bleed the clutch for it to work again...
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: what is Clutch Bleeding? Mon, 12 September 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if all else fails buy a repair and maintenance manual...well do wat i did and steal it from the library Embarassed kinda tells u all u need to know, and dont bother with a one man kit, just get junior to come and push down....now go up....down again... good on ya junior ull be just like me one day Very Happy hell its wat i was doin not so long ago
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: what is Clutch Bleeding? Mon, 12 September 2005 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Take no notice of them all - clutch bleeding is what happens when you physically abuse your clutch and it suffers immense physical trauma...

Dale_ta22 wrote on Mon, 12 September 2005 23:04

Somehow I think it's very unlikely that it wouldn't have been bled when your clutch was replaced. I can't think of how you could get away with changing a clutch and not needing to bleed the clutch for it to work again...

It likely wouldn't - most people just unbolt the slave cylinder and let it hang
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: what is Clutch Bleeding? Tue, 13 September 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Mon, 12 September 2005 23:29

Take no notice of them all - clutch bleeding is what happens when you physically abuse your clutch and it suffers immense physical trauma...

Ah, I'd never thought of doing that! lol
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: what is Clutch Bleeding? Tue, 13 September 2005 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dale_ta22 wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 22:30

mrshin wrote on Mon, 12 September 2005 23:29

Ah, I'd never thought of doing that! lol

I do that, but even then i find i have to re-bleed it to get it feeling right again
20VBTSECA
Regular

May 2005
Re: what is Clutch Bleeding? Tue, 13 September 2005 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How to bleed your clutch. - YOU NEED 2 PEOPLE 2 DO THIS!

1. place spanner over nipple on slave cylinder.

2. place rubber hose over nipple(i use my water jet ones so i can c air bubbles)and place other end of hose in container of brake fluid with the hose in the fluid.(brake fluid and clutch fluid is the same)

3. open up the nipple by turning half a turn and get someone to pump the clutch pedal, if there is air in the system you will notice gaps of air through the hose or air bubbles in the container, just keep pumping until you get straight fluid through (make sure you watch the level in your resivour and top up).

4. when the bubbles stop get the person to hold there foot down on the clutch pedal and then tighten up the nipple, that way you wont be sucking more air back in (you are creating a seal)

5. pump the clutch up again and then do exactly the same, you will more than likely have more air in the system to remove. you will need to repeat this 3-4 times or until you get a clutch back. but make sure you allways keep your foot on the clutch while tighting back up the nipple or your just suckin air back through the system and it just takes one air gap to screw the whole system up.

Its exactly the same method as brake bleeding accept there is a nipple on each calliper and drum adn you need to work from front to rear.

hope this helps
MacroP
Regular

April 2004
Re: what is Clutch Bleeding? Tue, 13 September 2005 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You certainly don't need two people to do this job or brake bleeding for that matter. Just get a one-man bleed kit for $15 and you're away. Very simple job. I can bleed my entire brake lines and clutch setup by myself in 10 minutes flat. Just remember not to let the master cylinder resevoirs get empty of fluid.
20VBTSECA
Regular

May 2005
Re: what is Clutch Bleeding? Tue, 13 September 2005 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sucha tool exists!!! when can one get this tool Very Happy
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: what is Clutch Bleeding? Tue, 13 September 2005 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most clutch hydraulics will just about bleed themselves once the bleed screw is opened and there isn't any crap/smegma restricting its flow.
moefoe
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: what is Clutch Bleeding? Fri, 21 October 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok im fairly new at this but i gues we all gotta
learn somewhere Very Happy
dose the car need to be runnin in
order to do this?
not really sure as i know brakes are no good
with out the engine on???
any help would be great cause i currently have
no clutch and was told with no instruction that it
needed to be bleed Confused
cheers Very Happy
SupraTT_92
Newcomer

August 2005
Re: what is Clutch Bleeding? Fri, 21 October 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it possible that if clutch bleeding not done correctly it can leak as mine leaks from the inside and out side paint has peeled. can putting the master cylinder in wrong coz problems.
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: what is Clutch Bleeding? Fri, 21 October 2005 02:32 Go to previous message
moefoe wrote on Fri, 21 October 2005 11:37

ok im fairly new at this but i gues we all gotta
learn somewhere Very Happy
dose the car need to be runnin in
order to do this?
not really sure as i know brakes are no good
with out the engine on???
any help would be great cause i currently have
no clutch and was told with no instruction that it
needed to be bleed Confused
cheers Very Happy

No it doesn't need to be running, do it with the car off.

SupraTT_92 wrote on Fri, 21 October 2005 11:50

is it possible that if clutch bleeding not done correctly it can leak as mine leaks from the inside and out side paint has peeled. can putting the master cylinder in wrong coz problems.

That's not likely to be related to bleeding, the seals in your MC are leaking and need replacing. Either get a rebuild kit and pull it apart to fit the new seals, or buy a new MC!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4age into a ke25..
Next Topic:clutch prob....
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 21:04:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070779323577881 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.