Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TinTin
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Best Polisher Tue, 13 September 2005 21:55 Go to next message
I am just wondering if you guys could let me know what type of buffer/Polisher is the best. I have been looking at the orbital ones and also the angle grinder type. I have been told that if you are polishing with the angle grinder type that it is easy to get swirls and also to take too much off so I was wondering if this was true and if so should i just stick to the orbital one?

Thx
  Send a private message to this user    
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Best Polisher Tue, 13 September 2005 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good timing , im after the same answer ur looking for too
although from experience , the orbital ones are shite and dont have enuf power if u pressed hard on them they just stop working , the angle grinder type seemed to be good until i shaved off a fair bit of paint from my front bumper because i didnt know how to use the bloody thing so now im using my hand to cut and polish but the machines give more shine

my undersatnding is that the orbital ones are only for buffing u cant cut and polish with them but i could be wrong

any help guys

cheers
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Best Polisher Wed, 14 September 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maguires three stage shit is very good, but fuck me it takes sooo long to do.
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: Best Polisher Wed, 14 September 2005 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm horrible when it comes to polishing,
so what i do now is wash car thoroughly at home, dry it up, then i take to those car wash joints and go over it with that liquid wax thing. turns out good enough.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Best Polisher Wed, 14 September 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 14 September 2005 10:06

Maguires three stage shit is very good, but fuck me it takes sooo long to do.

dont u have to use the machine to do that

ive been recomended 3m imperial hand glaze but im not sure if it can be done by hand or the machine has to be used
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Best Polisher Wed, 14 September 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope i had to help my mum use it when we did my bros echo for him befor he came back from the UK, did it by hand the car came up a treat but it took ages to do.
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Best Polisher Wed, 14 September 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuck that commercial crap

- Get yourself an angle grinder style buffer with multiple speed settings
- Sponge buffing pad
- Buy the 'G3' branded cut 'n polish
- Have a nozzle bottle water spray handy
- /Come back to thread when done

smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Best Polisher Wed, 14 September 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86slaver wrote on Wed, 14 September 2005 11:21

- Have a nozzle bottle water spray handy

Whats that for?.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Best Polisher Wed, 14 September 2005 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to cool yourself down (spray on your face) when you start sweating profusely because you just fucked your paintjob going over a corner and cut into it too much Laughing
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Best Polisher Wed, 14 September 2005 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
best polisher Smile =

http://members.optushome.com.au/hark/johnsreward.jpg
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Best Polisher Wed, 14 September 2005 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing at the above pic
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Best Polisher Wed, 14 September 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo wrote on Wed, 14 September 2005 11:25

to cool yourself down (spray on your face) when you start sweating profusely because you just fucked your paintjob going over a corner and cut into it too much Laughing

LOL

it acts as a lubiractor for the sponge pad - you'll see what i mean if it runs too dry, the sponge pad starts shedding shit everywhere
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Best Polisher Wed, 14 September 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86slaver wrote on Wed, 14 September 2005 11:29

Merudo wrote on Wed, 14 September 2005 11:25

LOL

it acts as a lubiractor for the sponge pad - you'll see what i mean if it runs too dry, the sponge pad starts shedding shit everywhere

yeah i knew that's what you meant.

man, its bad when you hit an edge or a burr on something with those sponge applicators, they just disintegrate and then you've got little bits of foam everywhere!!
TinTin
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: Best Polisher Wed, 14 September 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well I have Kitten Cream Cut & Polish No.2 is that good enuf and I also have a bottle of G.F.P "Ultimate Finish". So would I be better to get a angle grinder type and just go carefully or as I am not too experienced would it be better to go with the orbital one.
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Best Polisher Wed, 14 September 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Kitten/polyglaze/mcguires etc brands compared to the real stuff they use at panel shops are like comparing commodores to bmw's
- same goes with orbital polishers to angle grinder type ones.

you will get somewhat of a good finish with an orbital/kitten combination, but if you want a REALLY good cut/buff/shine, then go with the stuff i mentioned
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Best Polisher Wed, 14 September 2005 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used to spend heaps on that Maguires rubbish, it does come out very shiney (especially if you fork out for the Gold Class stuff) but doesn't last long enough! I now use good old turtle wax at a quater of the price, and it lasts a hell of allot longer and is still very shiney stuff.

When I say it lasts longer, I mean the polish seems to be present longer than the Maguires when it rains, or you wash the car again by the how much the water beads... if that makes sense Razz
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Best Polisher Wed, 14 September 2005 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I heard that angle grinders are bad for paint because they spin too fast and burn the paint or something and leave the swirls?

If this isn't the case, I'm going to grab a buffing wheel or what ever they are called! Smile
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Best Polisher Wed, 14 September 2005 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Best way is by hand...

My secret is never to buff...

Always hand polish and I use Auto Glym Super Resin Polish...
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Best Polisher Wed, 14 September 2005 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wax on... wax off... Mr Miagi style Razz

indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Best Polisher Wed, 14 September 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buy the 'G3' branded cut 'n polish

WHERE TO BUY THIS SHITE FROM , also can it be used by hand

ive heard of 3m brand being good any comment

BEST WAX I HAVE EVER USED

turtle its a light green (note -- not the darker green usual bottle)bottle and its says 2000 or some shite on it but that damn wax lasts for ages water still beads after likes a few mionths no joke

its got some special resin/non stick shite in it its made in the usa , and is very hard to find about 18 or so bucks buttop stuff highly recommended

once u ut that on and try to put polish over it the polish will not stick lolllllllllll
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Best Polisher Wed, 14 September 2005 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you won't find G3 at your average repco/super cheap, but rather at special paint shops or automotive repair panel places.

grinder style buffers will leave buff marks, but to some extent, but as with all things, it's all about technique Razz
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Best Polisher Wed, 14 September 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alright then where do i find this thing , will bunnings have it
also i didnt quiet understand ur reply

can it be used by hand or do we need a machine for this thing

cost ?????
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Best Polisher Wed, 14 September 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bunnings won't have it

try paint shops, look in the yellow pages

hand will take you forever - it's best with a grinder applicator

one tube is about $30

indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Best Polisher Wed, 14 September 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
COOL MAN

so iil try the local pages and see what i can find in terms of paint shops and panel beaters

i do the cutting and polishing compound onto my car with my hands all the time it sure takes long and hurts like hell

is this stuff coarse or nice and fine

must go and get a grinder type machine now
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Best Polisher Wed, 14 September 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why use your hands when a machine can do it 10000 times faster Cool

This compound is just like any other, but the results are faaaar more superior
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Best Polisher Wed, 14 September 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
last time i tried with a machine was the first and last time i made myself say it clear as i took a fair bit of paint off the front bumper which still stands out like dosgs balls to remind me everyday i look at the car lollll

so yeah iil practise on my dads pulsar and see what happens hahahaha
born_rollar
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: Best Polisher Thu, 15 September 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok well at work im a ap painter and yes i do most of the buffing its not to bad once u get used to it. try buffing acrylic then come and complain to me. Laughing we use 3m its good shit works wonders on new to old paint work. use the grinder buffers only. that other shit is just all false advertisment dont trust it DONT USE THEM! they wont give u what ya want and thats a nice clean cut with a shine. dont use to much polise or u will be wearing it then again dont use less then u need u will burn it same as to much polish clean it with a (OLD) screw driver or some wire and try to keep the buff as flat as possibal and press abit on it and keep it MOVING! other wise u can warp panles and shit and mask up EVERYTHINK! lights windows antennas door handles BUMPERS! u dont buff bumpers Razz well u can but its just stupid and u can usalu only get bits here and there some u can do it but its not normal. hand buff them if u can. if the paints cracked its your own risk touching it hand buff it event hat can take the paint off. MUST! runt he buff spinning off the edge not in to it Wink as the buff can jump and take ya dead off and dislocate ya sockets and much worse remove skin and so on.

safty first ladys"
mask (all polishes can cause cancer!
eye wear
long tightish clothing e,g, overalls much rather it catchignt them then me (nothign baggy)or short clothing
boots
no water or anythink u can trip over
KEEP CORDS OUT OF THE WAY

and make sure your "EYE LEVEL" with the buff.
DONT! be looking away when buffing.
only start to buff once the buff is on the pannel start to smear the polish as u start the wind up of the buff.

those doing old paint then doing new paint u will see the diffrence and the effet it takes to bring up new paint compared to old paint.

ok im off now (excuse ma spelling mistakes im a crappy speller and im half a sleep)

hope any of that helps ya theres more but im to sleepy need bed got work tomorrow
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Best Polisher Sat, 17 September 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1 thing ive heard is shyte polish beads where good polish has a waterfall effect where it drains off in sheets
reason for this is beading leaves trails that attract dirt which leads to deterioration of the paint surface and eventually will cause pitting which wil result in rust/corrosion
food for thought Smile
SA63
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: Best Polisher Sat, 17 September 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've searching to find 3m car products with no luck Sad. i've been using Maguires products for a while with good results. I try and polish/wax my cars every week so it maintains it shine and helps to protect the paint.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Best Polisher Sat, 17 September 2005 10:19 Go to previous message
best polish i use is 1/4 micron colloidal silica

you go thru 200-400-600-80-1200-2400-4000 grit papers, then
3micron diamond,
1 micron diamond,
and if the pictures will be published, 1/4 micron colloidal silica. 1/4 micron diamond is ok, but the silica is more aggressive.

the silica will leave traces so it's not good for elemental analysis... but it gives a mirror smooth surface, and it is difficult to detect scratches up to about 2000 times magnification

ahh... i'm a nerd Razz

but seriously tho, a good polish leaving a flat surface on a car, is miles away from a good polish. car paint is way too soft to get a proper polish tho, which is why waxes and such are used to fill in scratches Wink

i'd be interested to hear if any of these polishing compounds say how large their particles are??? in terms of microns..
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3t-gteu help
Next Topic:wtf how bullet proof are st162s
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 19:39:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.007594108581543 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.