Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1JZGTE stutter problem, pls help guys, my friend just bought a manual 92 soarer.. and she's single!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
icon4.gif  1JZGTE stutter problem, pls help guys, my friend just bought a manual 92 soarer.. and she's single! Mon, 12 September 2005 16:06 Go to next message
haha hey ppl,
no shit i drove this beauty today but i need some help guys!

-- Details --
1992 soarer
manual
mid-range FMIC
surge tank
18" rims (irrelevant but sick)
tail happy (also irrelevant but sick)
0.5 Bar boost, stock turbos
169000kms on clock

-- Problem --
Ok, if you accel slowly (low throttle) the engine revs smoothly, however if you plant the thottle more than halfway the engine revs stutter (misses) all the way to redline and its makes a sort of bubbly noise similar to the bubbly backfire noise you get when you lift of the throttle while in gear with some cars. This problem apparently is intermittent however when i drove it today it happened every time i tried to accelerate hard. It still pulls pretty damn hard, and there was no noticable smoke from the exhaust whilst under load.

-- Possible Problem --
I really don't know but im thinking it may be a tuning issue. Apparently the guy had it tuned just before she picked it up.

Check plugs and leads?

PLEASE ADVISE Smile
-daniel-
  Send a private message to this user    
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 1JZGTE stutter problem, pls help guys, my friend just bought a manual 92 soarer.. and she's sin Mon, 12 September 2005 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
always pays to do a few things to a new car..

might be injectors...

check the connections/change plugs, leads, and get the injectors cleaned up... also, check the filters, make sure air and fuel filters are clean and not crudded up Smile

Eldar.O.
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZGTE stutter problem, pls help guys, my friend just bought a manual 92 soarer.. and she's sin Mon, 12 September 2005 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, this happened to mine before, I changed, plugs, ignitor, but ended up being one of the plugs on the injectors. Just a note, not to put the foot down when it does it, back off right away, basically, no spark is getting in.

Edit: Whose single? Pics? Razz

[Updated on: Mon, 12 September 2005 21:33]

bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: 1JZGTE stutter problem, pls help guys, my friend just bought a manual 92 soarer.. and she's sin Tue, 13 September 2005 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok Thanks guys, i will let HER know Smile

Its the first time ive seen and driven a 1jz-gte in the flesh...they are magnificent, makes me want to rethink my next car...

Edit : Any prices you can put forward for the cost of leads, injectors off the top of your head would be cool because we are pricing it up at the mo.

Here it is
http://members.westnet.com.au/bomrekab/images/soarer.jpg

[Updated on: Tue, 13 September 2005 04:15]

XmaGe
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZGTE stutter problem, pls help guys, my friend just bought a manual 92 soarer.. and she's sin Tue, 13 September 2005 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it sounds like the fuel system is buggered. I changed my fuel pump (which was toast) to a Walbro 550hp and haven't looked back.

Its a case of the ecu retarding the ignition due to the air/fuel ratio leaning out something kronic.

If you have a nissan you would be rebuilding your motor by now.
ripfast
Regular

June 2005
Re: 1JZGTE stutter problem, pls help guys, my friend just bought a manual 92 soarer.. and she's sin Wed, 14 September 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd also check the throttle position sensor, if it is alright under half pedal maybe the sensor (which is on a slide i think) is farked at the end half of its range. this would mean incorrect readings to computer.
Stomps
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZGTE stutter problem, pls help guys, my friend just bought a manual 92 soarer.. and she's sin Wed, 14 September 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey bayka, i selling my car... hint hint.. you interested?? Razz

good luck with it,

P.S i couldnt tell my bro that you called coz he was out till fucking late and i ended up fucking off home rather then waiting for him.
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: 1JZGTE stutter problem, pls help guys, my friend just bought a manual 92 soarer.. and she's sin Wed, 14 September 2005 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could be the coil packs too. Replacing them fixed a myriad of high-load issues with my car.
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZGTE stutter problem, pls help guys, my friend just bought a manual 92 soarer.. and she's sin Wed, 14 September 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Plugs and/or coilpacks.

She is also welcome here
http://www.lexus.australia.as/
at our Soarer specific forum Smile
XmaGe
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZGTE stutter problem, pls help guys, my friend just bought a manual 92 soarer.. and she's sin Wed, 14 September 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when was your fuel filter last changed? Ever?

I have a car about the same age and if changing coilpacks/sparkplugs doesn't work check out your fuel pump.

My car used to splutter (occasionally) when the boost came straight on, almost always on full load. It was rather embarrassing especially when trying to take someone at the lights.
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: 1JZGTE stutter problem, pls help guys, my friend just bought a manual 92 soarer.. and she's sin Wed, 14 September 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep ok, thanks guys , We'll check out the
fuel filter, plugs , coil packs first.

I DOUBT its the fuel system as it sounds pretty serious (surge tank in engine bay, and can hear the fuel pump in the cabin)

Cheers Smile
-daniel-
XmaGe
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZGTE stutter problem, pls help guys, my friend just bought a manual 92 soarer.. and she's sin Wed, 14 September 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its got a surge tank in the engine bay? Doesn't that sound a little dangerous?

hope its not the fuel pump, but from memory my pump was a whinny little mofo. Check the fuel filter though as replacement of those is usually neglected due to its poor position. Wink

Tell that chick good choice in car Surprised
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1JZGTE stutter problem, pls help guys, my friend just bought a manual 92 soarer.. and she's sin Thu, 15 September 2005 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tell you what, I'll sell you some leads.. CHEAP! Cool

Your best bet is substitution of suspect parts, if you can possumly find parts to substitute.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 1JZGTE stutter problem, pls help guys, my friend just bought a manual 92 soarer.. and she's sin Thu, 15 September 2005 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and get her to come along to a cruise of some description Smile

Eldar.O.
XmaGe
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZGTE stutter problem, pls help guys, my friend just bought a manual 92 soarer.. and she's sin Thu, 15 September 2005 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey I got 3 coilpacks that I have spare, if you are still trouble shooting Wink
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: 1JZGTE stutter problem, pls help guys, my friend just bought a manual 92 soarer.. and she's sin Fri, 16 September 2005 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate borrowing coil packs would be ace. We havn't even STARTED physically substituting suspect parts yet.

This coming week we'll replace the fuel filter because it definately could be the ECU massively retarding timing or cutting spark due to leaning out, it just runs so rough while its doing so im more inclined to think it would be intermittent coil pack / lead failure or sumpin under heavy load...

Thanks guys Smile
-daniel-
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZGTE stutter problem, pls help guys, my friend just bought a manual 92 soarer.. and she's sin Sat, 17 September 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My son's workshop had an identical problem, this time on a UZZ30 Soarer.

Symptom: car stuttered under load

Diagnosis: Sniffer up tail pipe, indicated way too rich.

Cause: Stuffed HT ignition leads.

Unfortunate Result: Unburnt fuel entering into the cats, with subsequent burn out of cats.

New leads, new plugs, and a pair of cats later, all was good.

cheers Chuck.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZGTE stutter problem, pls help guys, my friend just bought a manual 92 soarer.. and she's sin Sat, 17 September 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
was the "She's single" to get all the desperate guys (like me) to read the thread? Razz

if so, picsorban
splatt
Regular

October 2004
Re: 1JZGTE stutter problem, pls help guys, my friend just bought a manual 92 soarer.. and she's sin Sat, 17 September 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tail happy? Razz so am I. whats her name? Very Happy
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: 1JZGTE stutter problem, pls help guys, my friend just bought a manual 92 soarer.. and she's sin Sat, 17 September 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha, yes i admit the "she's single" was to get all those needed replies from you guys....i know i would have replied if i could Wink

No pic available, and she can tell you her own name when she hurry's up and registers at toymods.

Thanks for the info, we'll get a sniffer up the tailpipe to check air-fuel before taking it further than fuel filter change over.

Peace

Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 1JZGTE stutter problem, pls help guys, my friend just bought a manual 92 soarer.. and she's sin Sat, 17 September 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bayka wrote on Sat, 17 September 2005 20:22

Thanks for the info, we'll get a sniffer up the tailpipe...

Just make sure you do this to the CAR'S tailpipe, not hers. Some girls get narky at that.

... Wink

My first advice would be to stop making the car do this. Who knows what kinda damage it's doing.
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: 1JZGTE stutter problem, pls help guys, my friend just bought a manual 92 soarer.. and she's sin Sat, 17 September 2005 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Corolla (7A-FE) is doing EXACTLY what you're describing. I'm hunting through ignition fixes at the moment, starting with leads and possibly dizzy cap.

I know my knock senor is cactus too, but I don't think that's causing this particular problem.
acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: 1JZGTE stutter problem, pls help guys, my friend just bought a manual 92 soarer.. and she's sin Sat, 17 September 2005 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Coil pack connnections would be the first port of call, second: is spark gap, as some mechanics read the incorrect label supplied that states 1.1mm gap. Which should read .8mm gap.
The uzz30 has leads the jzz30 has coil packs, so don't bother searching for leads.
Swap coil packs then if that fails bridge the fp to b+ ports in the diagnostics to make the fuel pump run at 12v. This will tell you if its the fule pump ecu on the way out.

You mention it has been tuned, so what management is in place?
If the stutter occurs at about 3500rpm then it sounds like when its changing from closed loop to open loop. That is when its leaving the toyota ecu to a piggyback controlling the wide open throttle. (Just a guess, but i have been there once before)
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZGTE stutter problem, pls help guys, my friend just bought a manual 92 soarer.. and she's sin Sun, 18 September 2005 11:02 Go to previous message
i dont think the ecu is smart enough to retard timing when runnin lean

the o2 sensor stops workin after 3000 rpm or somewhere round there when the ecu goes into open loop mode so the ecu doesnt know what the mixture is after that and adjust anyhting

u have to determine if its spark or fuel

crimp the fuel return line and see if it gets better

this will give it bit more fuel

otherwise find someone with a proper air fuel meter and go for a drive

or put it on a dyno

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:turbocharging 4A GZE
Next Topic:JDM KYB's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:52:21 UTC 2024